Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,530 members, 7,954,991 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:48 PM

Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity (8014 Views)

Aminu Tambuwal And Other Northern Governors Pose For A Shot At Sokoto Airport / US To Send Soldiers To Tackle Boko-Haram / Jonathan Seeks US Support To Tackle Boko Haram, Oil Theft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by samkoro: 8:45pm On Aug 30, 2012
Nonsense Buhari.He now wants to save his face.His Boko agenda is failing wholefully.Why did he not call on the governors right from the onset.He has seen that his Boko boys has no public sympathy. No sympathy is won by shading innocent blood
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by NAJALYN: 8:53pm On Aug 30, 2012
Utter rubbish. Buhari threatened to make Nigeria ungovernable if pdp won the election. All the while boko haram has been killing innocent Nigerians, where was he? Asking Northern Governors to tackle boko haram insecurity is certainly an after-thought. He should go hide himself in shame.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by oche419: 8:57pm On Aug 30, 2012
This Buhari is an unrepentant fanatic. He is not the type that can unite Nigeria. Did he mentioned boko haram in his speech? No! Let him come out openly and criticise the activities of BH. He will never rule this country again. Let him prepare to shed more tears in public come 2015.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by FOLLEY20(m): 9:10pm On Aug 30, 2012
strangest: Mallam Ayotallah Buhari don dey talk sense maybe because of the threat from IBB to expose him.. We dey watch
ln fact, d sense he's talking as u said is no more sensible because it's too late for him to do that.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by FOLLEY20(m): 9:20pm On Aug 30, 2012
Billyonaire: Boko Haram Strategy has failed. So what next ? laughing @ "INEC is not able to change the contents of the KORAN" - Always sectional in his religious fanaticism. Buhari! may your political prostitution RIP! You cant be President of Nigeria forever
Amen in Jesus name.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by Nobody: 9:56pm On Aug 30, 2012
danjohn: I am a Buhari supporter but I still believe that Buhari has not handled the situation of violence in the North well enough. I think the reason is because Buhari is surrounded by HORRIBLE political operatives. Buhari has the worst political staff in the world. Whoever managed his campaign in 2011 needs to be sued for political malpractice. After the 2011 election, when the violence broke out in the North, Buhari had an opportunity to rehabilitate his public perception but he squandered it.

When violence broke out in the North after the election, nobody could talk to the angry almajiris who were killing youth corpers, Jonathan could not talk to them, neither could Sambo, or even the Sultan of Sokoto. Everybody was calling for Buhari to calm down his supporters. Everybody was asking "WHERE IS BUHARI?" But what did Buhari do, he had an interview with BBC where he said didnt support the violence. I was like "what the f*ck?" How many Nigerians watch BBC?

Rham Emmanuel, the mayor of Chicago, once said that "we should never let a crisis go to waste." Leaders emerge during a crisis. In my honest opinion, after violence broke out in 2011, Buhari should have requested for a 30 minutes timeslot to give a national address at 8:30 pm right before network news. Given how tense the situation was in the country, nobody would have denied him such a request.

He should have stood in front of 5 Nigerian Flags and with a very somber voice; he should have said something along the lines of the following:

"My fellow citizens, I speak to you tonight, not as the Presidential candidate of the CPC, but as a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. What we have seen happen in the last 24 hours has been heartbreaking. We have seen husbands lose wives, fathers lose sons, mothers lose daughters, and brothers lose sisters. We have heard stories of pastors who watched their churches burn, traders who abandoned their goods and fled with nothing but the clothes on their backs, and mothers of youth corpers who stay awake every night wondering whether their children will return home from the North alive. As a father, grandfather, and husband, I empathize with every individual who has lost a loved one in this crisis.

When I decided to run for President, I did so because I was called by my faith, my upbringing, and my love for this country to do everything within my capacity to make Nigeria great again.

During the campaign, I was touched by the millions of people who rallied around our cause. I was touched by the stories I heard from people who made personal sacrifices simply because they believed in the ideals which gave birth to this campaign. Unfortunately, despite our best effort, our quest to win the Presidency did not succeed.

I would like to use this opportunity to call on every Nigerian who supported our campaign to join hands with the current administration to help move our beloved country forward. I would like to call on all of my supporters, who have taken up arms to express their grievances, to put their weapons away.

At the end of the day, we must remember that our campaign for President was a cause driven by our desire to make Nigeria a better place. We must remember that we weren’t running for President of Northern Nigeria, neither were we running for President of Southern Nigeria, we were running for President of Nigeria; and our mission was to use the Presidency as a platform to uplift the lives of every Nigerian.

Our campaign was designed to unite Nigeria, not to divide her. Our mission was to rally Southerners and Northerners around the common cause of building our country. To all of my supporters, I want you to know that the killing of unarmed defenseless innocent people serves no purpose but to widen the divide that already exists in our country.

In the next couple of days, I will consult with leaders of my party to determine what to do next, with the best interest of our country and our party guiding my way. If we find any reason to doubt the validity of the election results, we will express our grievances through peaceful and civilized channels.

Although I do not know if I will ever seek the Presidency again, I do know that I will devote the rest of my life to the causes that were at the heart of our campaign. Thank you so much for listening to this message. May God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

I do believe that a message like this was what Nigeria needed after the election. I really wish I worked for the Buhari campaign in 2011.

What about:

"I'm not Commander-In-Chief, I leave the President to do his job"

To me that'd have been apt.

Imagine, blaming Buhari for GEJ's failure. Sometimes I wonder about the intelligence of some of you.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by Nobody: 10:10pm On Aug 30, 2012
danjohn:

Rham Emmanuel, the mayor of Chicago, once said that "we should never let a crisis go to waste." Leaders emerge during a crisis. In my honest opinion, after violence broke out in 2011, Buhari should have requested for a 30 minutes timeslot to give a national address at 8:30 pm right before network news. Given how tense the situation was in the country, nobody would have denied him such a request.

Riiiiggggghhhhtttt..... Like the Elections happened 50 years ago and everyone who lived through it is now dead or has amnesia. You're talking about the same Buhari that GEJ and co were censoring his campaign ads and making sure he didn't get to the masses through the media? Or the Buhari that GEJ was looking for a way to rope in and proclaim a terrorist like he did Dokpesi and IBB? Truth is GEJ was at fault from jump. From playing "Tag" and "Chicken" with his foes while using Bombs as toys to the disseminating of false info against his adversaries.....

Why don't we ask Buhari to make a speech on the Justice Salami case too? Or the N2Trillion that has mysteriously disappeared from the treasury? Or the $30000/day meals GEJ allocated himself?

Nigerians, face the truth, your President is a pretentious,manipulative, divisive and evil man. If you doubt me, lets ask Henry Okah and Gen.Patrick Azazi what they think of him and his role in the bombings that has brought Nigeria to its knees.

1 Like

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by Jarus(m): 10:23pm On Aug 30, 2012
sharubutu: I'm a great fan of Gen. Buhari. But, why must he always bring up religious issues when discussing politics? What's the correlation between the Holy Quran and the activities of INEC?

He was speaking metaphorically. I am a Muslim and I do refer to something as the 'bible' of something (meaning: excellent reference). Many Christians also use the word 'Mecca of sorts' which means popular, go-to. He was addressing Kano people(arguably headquarters of Muslims in Nigeria) and by that he was referring to what they held dearest. I'm sure you won't have raised that issue if Okorocha refers to Bible while speaking at an event in Imo.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by Jarus(m): 10:26pm On Aug 30, 2012
NAJALYN: Utter rubbish. Buhari threatened to make Nigeria ungovernable if pdp won the election. All the while boko haram has been killing innocent Nigerians, where was he? Asking Northern Governors to tackle boko haram insecurity is certainly an after-thought. He should go hide himself in shame.
Political ignoramus. It was one of the PDP rivals to GEJ that said that not Buhari.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by Jarus(m): 10:32pm On Aug 30, 2012
danjohn: I am a Buhari supporter but I still believe that Buhari has not handled the situation of violence in the North well enough. I think the reason is because Buhari is surrounded by HORRIBLE political operatives. Buhari has the worst political staff in the world. Whoever managed his campaign in 2011 needs to be sued for political malpractice. After the 2011 election, when the violence broke out in the North, Buhari had an opportunity to rehabilitate his public perception but he squandered it.

When violence broke out in the North after the election, nobody could talk to the angry almajiris who were killing youth corpers, Jonathan could not talk to them, neither could Sambo, or even the Sultan of Sokoto. Everybody was calling for Buhari to calm down his supporters. Everybody was asking "WHERE IS BUHARI?" But what did Buhari do, he had an interview with BBC where he said didnt support the violence. I was like "what the f*ck?" How many Nigerians watch BBC?

He should have stood in front of 5 Nigerian Flags and with a very somber voice; he should have said something along the lines of the following:

"My fellow citizens, I speak to you tonight, not as the Presidential candidate of the CPC, but as a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. What we have seen happen in the last 24 hours has been heartbreaking. We have seen husbands lose wives, fathers lose sons, mothers lose daughters, and brothers lose sisters. We have heard stories of pastors who watched their churches burn, traders who abandoned their goods and fled with nothing but the clothes on their backs, and mothers of youth corpers who stay awake every night wondering whether their children will return home from the North alive. As a father, grandfather, and husband, I empathize with every individual who has lost a loved one in this crisis.

When I decided to run for President, I did so because I was called by my faith, my upbringing, and my love for this country to do everything within my capacity to make Nigeria great again.

During the campaign, I was touched by the millions of people who rallied around our cause. I was touched by the stories I heard from people who made personal sacrifices simply because they believed in the ideals which gave birth to this campaign. Unfortunately, despite our best effort, our quest to win the Presidency did not succeed.

I would like to use this opportunity to call on every Nigerian who supported our campaign to join hands with the current administration to help move our beloved country forward. I would like to call on all of my supporters, who have taken up arms to express their grievances, to put their weapons away.

At the end of the day, we must remember that our campaign for President was a cause driven by our desire to make Nigeria a better place. We must remember that we weren’t running for President of Northern Nigeria, neither were we running for President of Southern Nigeria, we were running for President of Nigeria; and our mission was to use the Presidency as a platform to uplift the lives of every Nigerian.

Our campaign was designed to unite Nigeria, not to divide her. Our mission was to rally Southerners and Northerners around the common cause of building our country. To all of my supporters, I want you to know that the killing of unarmed defenseless innocent people serves no purpose but to widen the divide that already exists in our country.

In the next couple of days, I will consult with leaders of my party to determine what to do next, with the best interest of our country and our party guiding my way. If we find any reason to doubt the validity of the election results, we will express our grievances through peaceful and civilized channels.

Although I do not know if I will ever seek the Presidency again, I do know that I will devote the rest of my life to the causes that were at the heart of our campaign. Thank you so much for listening to this message. May God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

I do believe that a message like this was what Nigeria needed after the election. I really wish I worked for the Buhari campaign in 2011.

I am also a great fan of Buhari and I agree with you to a large extent. Politics apart, I believe Buhari can leverage on the love the people have for him in the north to intervene in this crisis. But the risk is the government he is trying to help will come back and say he is the cause, that's why he has their ears, meanwhile it's just out of pure love these people(if not BH themselves, BH sympathisers and non-BH related violence perpetrators). So to that extent I don't blame him.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by lumeneng22: 11:21pm On Aug 30, 2012
Is buari just realising that the governors are the chief securities of their states?
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by Nobody: 11:51pm On Aug 30, 2012
Hehehe... this is a funny story. I am speechless though!
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by luv2talk(m): 1:42am On Aug 31, 2012
Billyonaire: Boko Haram Strategy has failed. So what next ? laughing @ "INEC is not able to change the contents of the KORAN" - Always sectional in his religious fanaticism. Buhari! may your political prostitution RIP! You cant be President of Nigeria forever
I dont know why u have so much hate for this General, If to say he mentioned Bible,im sure You wouldnt have made this comment
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by danjohn: 2:40am On Aug 31, 2012
kingoflag:

Riiiiggggghhhhtttt..... Like the Elections happened 50 years ago and everyone who lived through it is now dead or has amnesia. You're talking about the same Buhari that GEJ and co were censoring his campaign ads and making sure he didn't get to the masses through the media? Or the Buhari that GEJ was looking for a way to rope in and proclaim a terrorist like he did Dokpesi and IBB? Truth is GEJ was at fault from jump. From playing "Tag" and "Chicken" with his foes while using Bombs as toys to the disseminating of false info against his adversaries.....

Why don't we ask Buhari to make a speech on the Justice Salami case too? Or the N2Trillion that has mysteriously disappeared from the treasury? Or the $30000/day meals GEJ allocated himself?

Nigerians, face the truth, your President is a pretentious,manipulative, divisive and evil man. If you doubt me, lets ask Henry Okah and Gen.Patrick Azazi what they think of him and his role in the bombings that has brought Nigeria to its knees.

Your points are very legitimate. I am only saying that Buhari should have at least made such a request. If Jonathan denied such a public request from Buhari, no one would blame Buhari for not speaking loud enough against the violence. Also, Buhari could have scored some easy political points.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by amaba: 9:59am On Aug 31, 2012
COOLDUN: Good comment from the incorruptible General, Buhari the good and truthful people of Nigeria hold you to the highest esteem.You meant well for the country untill the evil and the anti people government came and took away the good and peoples' government of you and your second in command Maj Gen Tunde Idiagbon RIP. Gen M.Buhari you remain the best leader the Nigeria people lost on the way.God will continue to guide,bless and direct you and the family of your late second in command.Long Live Gen M.Buhari.
i pity 4 u. backing a dictator, killer, religious extremist? sorry 4 u. why is he advising them now. is d baboon and dog tired 2 shed blodd?
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by rhemal: 11:46am On Aug 31, 2012
Finally,I thought the cat got his tongue.......
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by salt1: 12:12pm On Aug 31, 2012
kingoflag:

Then the North must be one of the most tolerant races in the universe! They are so good that they and their leaders will keep mum while a sitting president sacks their towns and villages with bombs and mars their political reputation! If GEJ was the sponsor of BH, how come they are still asking their financier to convert to Islam? Your argument, is to say the least, ridiculous. BH knows who pays them. Some of the ex-terrorists who converted to the Christian faith have also told who was paying them
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by olivertwist: 12:33pm On Aug 31, 2012
@Schorlbone,

It is not the duty of the governors to provide SECURITY for their people, at least in the Nigerian context. The police,army,navy,airforce,customs,sss,frsc and other security agencies are controlled by one person, the president. So, he alone has all the resources to tackle BH.

This is why we are clamouring for state police.

For Buhari, he needs to learn to differentiate btw politics and religion as a leader.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by muyenmuyen: 1:16pm On Aug 31, 2012
Buhari spoke atlast, after all these days,pls tell ur Babaginda to say something too.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by Demdem(m): 4:43pm On Aug 31, 2012
NAJALYN: Utter rubbish. Buhari threatened to make Nigeria ungovernable if pdp won the election. [/b]All the while boko haram has been killing innocent Nigerians, where was he? Asking Northern Governors to tackle boko haram insecurity is certainly an after-thought. He should go hide himself in shame.

[b]My friend shut ur trap. It was Atiku that said such not Buhari.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by NAJALYN: 8:22pm On Aug 31, 2012
@ Jarus "Political ignoramus. It was one of the pdp rivals to GEJ that said that not Buhari." Hear yourself. You are not even making sence. You are twisting the story because you are a fan of Buhari. You definitly are the political ignoramus. Please get your facts right in future, its in your own interest. @Demdem, how old are you? You should run along and go read your books since all you know how to do best is to insult others.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by Jarus(m): 8:49pm On Aug 31, 2012
NAJALYN: @ Jarus "Political ignoramus. It was one of the pdp rivals to GEJ that said that not Buhari." Hear yourself. You are not even making sence. You are twisting the story because you are a fan of Buhari. You definitly are the political ignoramus. Please get your facts right in future, its in your own interest. @Demdem, how old are you? You should run along and go read your books since all you know how to do best is to insult others.

Why not prove me wrong by telling us when Buhari said it and on what occasion.

This is another reason I select who I engage in Nairaland political discussion. Imagine something as recently as last year. Was it not Atiku that said all that at the height of his contest with GEJ for PDP ticket, including 'those who oppose peaceful change will see violent one' or something to that effect (even though that statement was an adaptation of a statement by a former American president, I think)?
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by Demdem(m): 3:37pm On Sep 01, 2012
NAJALYN: @ Jarus "Political ignoramus. It was one of the pdp rivals to GEJ that said that not Buhari." Hear yourself. You are not even making sence. You are twisting the story because you are a fan of Buhari. You definitly are the political ignoramus. Please get your facts right in future, its in your own interest. @Demdem, how old are you? You should run along and go read your books since all you know how to do best is to insult others.

What has this got to do with ur moronic post? u lied against the General and we all trying to correct u, yet u still prefer to talk jargons. u are simply pathetic. Once again, it was Atiku's statement and not Buhari. Deal with that.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by NAJALYN: 5:01pm On Sep 01, 2012
@Jarus, & @Demdem,must you insult your colleauges in the forum when correcting them? It doest show maturity. Please let us correct ourselves in the best interest of this forum.
Re: Buhari To Northern Governors: Tackle Boko-haram Insecurity by Demdem(m): 5:49am On Sep 02, 2012
NAJALYN: @Jarus, & @Demdem,must you insult your colleauges in the forum when correcting them? It doest show maturity. Please let us correct ourselves in the best interest of this forum.

Peddling lies and refusing to take to correction just because of ones selfish interest is highly corrosive and much more insultive. U need to repent first and grow up before asking others who are basically known for the truth.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Okays Loans From World Bank, China, Japan / ‘leave The Army Out Of Politics And Fake News’ – Nigerian Army / Edo APC Decries Increasing Destitutes On Benin Streets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.