Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,350 members, 7,957,938 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 04:10 AM

34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! (18828 Views)

Shocked! My Cousin Bro Died Of Motor Accident But His Spirit Is Disturbing / Paul Vs. Jesus's Teachings: Is There A Conflict? For serious bible scholars / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome: The Holy Spirit Is With You Forever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by haibe(m): 3:15pm On Sep 25, 2012
haibe: John 6:46, "Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he
which is of God, he hath seen the Father."
Would this be contradiction frosbel? No, but lets see
Exo. 6:2-3, "And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I
am the LORD: 3And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac,
and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my
name JEHOVAH was I not known to them."
Num. 12:6-8, "And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a
prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known
unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream. 7My
servant Moses is not so, who is faithful in all mine house.
8 With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and
not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the LORD shall he
behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my
servant Moses?"
Frosbel check also, Exo. 24:9-11; Gen. 17:1; 18:1; 19:24 with Amos
4:10-11; Acts 7:2.

As you can see from the above scriptures, God Almighty was seen,
but it was not God the Father. But the Son and thats why i said to ijawkid that you cant conclude that Yahweh is a name exclusive to the Father only but the Godhead in general.
Well thats me and ijawkids discussion, so i will leave that.

So did the bible contradict itself frosbel?
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by haibe(m): 3:20pm On Sep 25, 2012
"And the LORD rained upon sodom and gomorrah brimestone and fire "from" the LORD out of heaven"

@ijawkid i can see 2 capital LORDS now, can you explain?
OR
Then Jehovah made it rain sulphur and fire from
Jehovah, from the heavens, upon Sod′om and upon Go‧mor
′rah.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by truthislight: 3:27pm On Sep 25, 2012
haibe:

Nope u are actually the one defending the undefendable, the trinity is clear in the scriptures, u guys just wont accept.

liar!

Where did you get that idea from?

This thread shows that the trinity is false and you jump to the lying conclussion that it is being defended?

Shows how deceitful you guys are
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 25, 2012
truthislight:

liar!

This thread shows that the trinity is false and you jump to the lying conclussion that it is being defended?

these chaps are truly blinded .
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by haibe(m): 3:29pm On Sep 25, 2012
truthislight:

liar!

Say whatever you like, i will not insult you
How can you explain the manifestation of God to people in the OT?
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by haibe(m): 3:39pm On Sep 25, 2012
frosbel:

these chaps are truly blinded .

You are the one that is blinded bro and your own is infact worse.
You say you know the bible and you deny that christ pre-existed before his coming to earth.
Lol even a muslim who is not bias can tell you that without needing any inspiration from the holy spirit.
You say the holy spirit is not a person but infact a presence/force, you are WORSE frosbel, you dont even know anything. One shouldnt spend time discussing with you at all becos you are already BLINDED.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 25, 2012
frosbel:

The Trinity , a word coined by Pagans as is clearly reflected in many idol-worshipping cultures , is not and I repeat , is not in any form or shape represented, intended, implied, reflected or affirmed in Holy Scripture.

It is not only illogical but confusing, misleading, direct from the father of lies and a great danger to the ignorant.

My my! Dude, you still harping on the pagan thing. Do you perhaps realize why nobody is calling you on it? It's because your ignorance is spilling all over the place. It's obvious that you know nothing of Church history.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Nobody: 3:57pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi:

My my! Dude, you still harping on the pagan thing. Do you perhaps realize why nobody is calling you on it? It's because your ignorance is spilling all over the place. It's obvious that you know nothing of Church history.

church history my foot !!

I only need to read the Acts of the Apostles to understand church history not through the lenses of tradition. Maybe that's why you are misled.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Nobody: 4:24pm On Sep 25, 2012
frosbel:

church history my foot !!

I only need to read the Acts of the Apostles to understand church history not through the lenses of tradition. Maybe that's why you are misled.

hehehe...... There's that "I'm ignorant and I like it like that" again. Cool, dude. You read about Constantine and the council of Nicaea from Acts of the Apostles. And he asks about my schooling
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by ijawkid(m): 4:36pm On Sep 25, 2012
haibe: "And the LORD rained upon sodom and gomorrah brimestone and fire "from" the LORD out of heaven"

@ijawkid i can see 2 capital LORDS now, can you explain?
OR
Then Jehovah made it rain sulphur and fire from
Jehovah, from the heavens, upon Sod′om and upon Go‧mor
′rah.

Haibe u baffle me sometimes....

U seem not to understand scriptures......

Is that scripture u quoted d same thing with what u read @ psalm 110:1.....??

In the scripture u quoted is the Lord there not d same person?
It was Yahweh who make it rain fire and sulphur on sodom and gomrrah...

Psalms 110:1 talks about LORD(Yahweh) putting Jesus(Lord) @ his right hand

And it seems from psalms u never took note of the 2 Lords mentioned...

One was (LORD) and the other (Lord)

Do u see the difference??look @ the casing used...

One is all capital letters and the other is not.....all to distinguish between Yahweh and Jesus...

But this verse u quoted the Lords mentioned there are both all in capital letters...

LORD....and all in capital letter refers to Yahweh.....

Please do ur research well...

Don't just open the bible and start quoting any verse in it just to prove the trinity......

Next!!!!!.....

Incase u've forgotten so quickly....see psalms 110:1

New International Version (©1984)
Of David. A psalm. The LORD says to my Lord:
"Sit at my right hand until I make your
enemies a footstool for your feet."
New Living Translation (©2007)
A psalm of David. The LORD said to my Lord,
"Sit in the place of honor at my right hand until
I humble your enemies, making them a
footstool under your feet."
English Standard Version (©2001)
A Psalm of David. The LORD says to my Lord:
“Sit at my right hand, until I make your
enemies your footstool.”

Do u spot the difference between the"" Lord"" used in psalms 110:1??

One is LORD and the other Lord.....

The difference is clear just like 7up...

In the verse u brought the Lord used 2 times both appear as LORD...all capital letters...

Which ofcus as u have learnt is Yahweh...

Thank u my brother!!!!
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Nobody: 4:38pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi:

hehehe...... There's that "I'm ignorant and I like it like that" again. Cool, dude. You read about Constantine and the council of Nicaea from Acts of the Apostles. And he asks about my schooling

The Pagan origins of an apostate church mean zilch to me , of course I have read the history about that pagan emperor and his bishops who reduced Christianity to a set of creeds and traditions, who diminished the authority of the bible and elevated man to positions of Infallibility.

The catholic church is where you belong.

As for your schooling , I apologise , no hurt intended grin
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by haibe(m): 4:57pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ijawkid you better read that verse well, Jehovah did what from what..
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 25, 2012
frosbel:

The Pagan origins of an apostate church mean zilch to me , of course I have read the history about that pagan emperor and his bishops who reduced Christianity to a set of creeds and traditions, who diminished the authority of the bible and elevated man to positions of Infallibility.

Don't worry about it. I'm actually having me some fun. smiley

See that bit about Constantine and the Nicene Council? I did say you didn't know what you're talking about. Here's a clue: an insubordinate presbyter opposed his bishop over the issues of the Trinity. The same man was the one whose name was associated with anti-Trinitarian doctrines. It was his movement that first took the high hand to their opponents who held the Trinity. If there were going to be persecutions in the Church then at all, it would have been all anti-Trinitarian authoritarians.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by haibe(m): 5:00pm On Sep 25, 2012
John 6:46, "Not that any man hath seen the Father,
save he
Exo. 6:2-3, "And God spake unto Moses, and said unto
him, I
Num. 12:6-8, "And he said, Hear now my words: If there
be a
unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream.
7My
8 With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently,
and
not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the LORD shall
he
behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against
my
servant Moses?"
Frosbel check also, Exo. 24:9-11; Gen. 17:1; 18:1; 19:24
with Amos
As you can see from the above scriptures, God Almighty
was seen,
but it was not God the Father. But the Son and thats why i
said to ijawkid that you cant conclude that Yahweh is a
name exclusive to the Father only but the Godhead in
general.

Ijawkid you can help frosbel in answering this one.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Don't worry about it. I'm actually having me some fun. smiley

See that bit about Constantine and the Nicene Council? I did say you didn't know what you're talking about. Here's a clue: an insubordinate presbyter opposed his bishop over the issues of the Trinity. The same man was the one whose name was associated with anti-Trinitarian doctrines. It was his movement that first took the high hand to their opponents who held the Trinity. If there were going to be persecutions in the Church then at all, it would have been all anti-Trinitarian authoritarians.

And it was your Pagan Emperor Constantine who endorsed the doctrine of the Trinity on behalf of the so called church , you should be proud of yourself.

The only church I know is the body of Christ , you can indulge yourself with the harlot church because they tickle your toes , but that's your prerogative.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 25, 2012
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by ijawkid(m): 5:32pm On Sep 25, 2012
haibe: John 6:46, "Not that any man hath seen the Father,
save he
Exo. 6:2-3, "And God spake unto Moses, and said unto
him, I
Num. 12:6-8, "And he said, Hear now my words: If there
be a
unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream.
7My
8 With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently,
and
not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the LORD shall
he
behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against
my
servant Moses?"
Frosbel check also, Exo. 24:9-11; Gen. 17:1; 18:1; 19:24
with Amos
As you can see from the above scriptures, God Almighty
was seen,
but it was not God the Father. But the Son and thats why i
said to ijawkid that you cant conclude that Yahweh is a
name exclusive to the Father only but the Godhead in
general.

Ijawkid you can help frosbel in answering this one.

I still don't get what ur saying...

Wait o...

Are you trying to say people saw Yahweh??

Can Yahweh be seen physically??

will all these merry go round prove that Jesus is equal to the Father??

Would it stop Jesus from being Yahwehs servant??

Meanwhile I'm coming to explain those scriptures......

Just wait for me.....
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by haibe(m): 5:35pm On Sep 25, 2012
Am waiting Oº°˚˚°ºh , i know u will bring a proof that moses saw ghost or the rest pple saw somone else
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by haibe(m): 5:43pm On Sep 25, 2012
"When Abram was ninety-nine years old the LORD
APPEARED to Abram and said to him, ‘I am God
Almighty; walk before me, and be blameless, …’ When he
had finished talking with him, God went up from
Abraham." Genesis 17:1, 22

"God spoke to Moses and said to him, ‘I am the LORD. I
APPEARED to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God
Almighty, but by my name the LORD I did not make
myself known to them.’" Exodus 6:2-3

"And Stephen said: ‘Brothers and fathers, hear me. The
God of glory APPEARED to our father Abraham when he
was in Mesopotamia, before he lived in Haran,’" Acts 7:2

Anyone who believes the word of God should therefore have no problem accepting the
Bible’s clear teaching that on at least one occasion Yahweh
appeared to Abraham as a man who then left him to destroy
Sodom and Gomorrah.

PS: No man has seen the father at anytime_Jesus Christ(John 6:46)
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Nobody: 5:45pm On Sep 25, 2012
frosbel:

And it was your Pagan Emperor Constantine who endorsed the doctrine of the Trinity on behalf of the so called church , you should be proud of yourself.

The only church I know is the body of Christ , you can indulge yourself with the harlot church because they tickle your toes , but that's your prerogative.

Geez! Dude, you're boring me. That's what you got? Boohoohoo cry How disappointing. Checking out your link anyway. Maybe I'll see something to laugh at there. grin
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Ubenedictus(m): 5:46pm On Sep 25, 2012
frosbel:

If the fullness of the Deity dwells in Christ , how then can he be God seeing that the fullness of God had to dwell in him or how do you reconcile it to the following statement

Ephesian 3:19
"...... and to know this love that surpasses knowledge -- that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."

Based on the underlined can we also claim to be God just because we are filled with the fullness of God through his Spirit ?
wow! Wow! Wow! Forsbel has caught me in his web, hahaha, that isnt posible, just kidding. Jesus didnt posses the "fullness of God" he possesed "the fullness of the deity". He had "the fullness of the Godhood state", do u see the difference. When christ dwells in my heart and my body is d tempel of the spirit and d fada wu is in his son dwells in me, i truly posses "the fullness of God" but i dont have the "fullness of the state of Godhood" i cant posses that state because im not God. Jesus posses that state, and each moment Jesus dwell in my heart i can truly say "i am filled with a measure of the fullness of God.
Your arguement has no teeth.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Nobody: 5:46pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Geez! Dude, you're boring me. That's what you got? Boohoohoo cry How disappointing. Checking out your link anyway. Maybe I'll see something to laugh at there. grin

My pleasure grin
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by haibe(m): 5:52pm On Sep 25, 2012
haibe: "When Abram was ninety-nine years old the LORD

Anyone who believes the word of God should therefore have no problem accepting the
Sodom and Gomorrah.

Anti-trinitarians you may like to give an explanation on this post, i cant find ijawkid again.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by ijawkid(m): 5:54pm On Sep 25, 2012
haibe: "When Abram was ninety-nine years old the LORD

Sodom and Gomorrah.

Something must be wrong with u haibe.....SMH!!!!

Those persons who appeared to abraham were angels....

Did u read your bible well @ all.??

John 1:18 still confirms that no one has ever seen GOD(Yahweh).....

Did it elude johns reasoning that Yahweh had earlier appeared to abraham as a man??

My freind u better go settle down and do your research.....

Nobody has ever seen Yahweh....only representatives of Yahweh can and has been seen through out history....

U dey hear me??

Please read john 1:18 and think well....
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by haibe(m): 5:57pm On Sep 25, 2012
frosbel: Guys can you help me here.

I read the following scripture and need to to understand how you see it and point out the trinity.

Exodus 33:18 - 34:5-7
New International Version (NIV)
18 Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory.”

19 And the Lord said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.”

21 Then the Lord said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. 22 When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.”

Then the Lord came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, the Lord. 6 And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, 7 maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.”

Can you kindly help us wrench the concept of the Trinity out of this scripture master piece.

Secondly :

1. how many Faces do we have here

2. how many Backs do we have here

3. how many Hands do we have here

Thanks in advance.

1 face, 1 back, 1 hand.

Now my Question is how come Moses saw God even when Jesus stated that no man has seen the father "at any time" except him ?
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Nobody: 6:01pm On Sep 25, 2012
haibe:

1 face, 1 back, 1 hand.

Now my Question is how come Moses saw God even when Jesus stated that no man has seen the father "at any time" except him ?

1 face, 1 back, 1 hand and 3 gods, no grin

Where is that 'early church' historian wannabe Ihedinobi , he just might be able to bail you out with his strange logic tongue
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by haibe(m): 6:02pm On Sep 25, 2012
ijawkid:

Something must be wrong with u haibe.....SMH!!!!

Those persons who appeared to abraham were angels....

Did u read your bible well @ all.??

John 1:18 still confirms that no one has ever seen GOD(Yahweh).....

Did it elude johns reasoning that Yahweh had earlier appeared to abraham as a man??

My freind u better go settle down and do your research.....

Nobody has ever seen Yahweh....only representatives of Yahweh can and has been seen through out history....

U dey hear me??

Please read john 1:18 and think well....

Lol, i now see what the watch tower has done to you, So it was an angel that later went to destroy sodom and gomorrah after leaving abraham? Nice one.

My bro, please read your bible well, frosbel i think you can help ijawkid, seems you have a better understanding than him in this aspect.

Was the LORD used in those texts referring to an angel?
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Ubenedictus(m): 6:06pm On Sep 25, 2012
frosbel:

hahaha, when u examine everything with bias im not surprised that everything looks evil to you.
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by Nobody: 6:07pm On Sep 25, 2012
frosbel:

1 face, 1 back, 1 hand and 3 gods, no grin

Where is that 'early church' historian wannabe Ihedinobi , he just might be able to bail you out with his strange logic tongue

hehehe.........don't you worry, Frosbel, you'll get more of me than you can stand in good time. Just answer his question. It has merit, you know. smiley
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by ijawkid(m): 6:07pm On Sep 25, 2012
haibe:

Anti-trinitarians you may like to give an explanation on this post, i cant find ijawkid again.

Oh my bro I can't run away from u..

I have handled this case so many times...

Ok read this thorough bible work and exegesis......

The bible cannot contradict itself ,rather scriptures explain scriptures....

So sit back and read...

Has Anyone Seen God?
THE renowned patriarch Abraham, who lived more than 1,900 years before the birth of Jesus Christ, was so warmly viewed by our Creator that he was called “God’s friend.” (James 2:23, ) If anyone would be given the privilege of seeing God, surely Abraham would be that person. Well, on a certain occasion, three visitors came to him with a divine message. Abraham addressed one of them as YAHWEH. Does this mean that Abraham actually saw God?
This account is found at Genesis 18:1-3. There we read: “YAHWEH appeared to him among the big trees of Mamre, while he was sitting at the entrance of the tent about the heat of the day. When he raised his eyes, then he looked and there three men were standing some distance from him. When he caught sight of them he began running to meet them from the entrance of the tent and proceeded to bow down to the earth. Then he said: ‘Yahweh, if, now, I have found favor in your eyes, please do not pass by your servant.’”
Later, when Abraham and his three visitors were viewing Sodom from an elevated location, two left to visit the city. Verse 22 then says: “But as for Yahweh, he was still standing before Abraham.” It would appear from this that God was present with Abraham in a materialized fleshly body. This is what some persons contend who believe that God and Jesus Christ are one and the same person.(Like haibe and. His cohorts)
Regarding Genesis 18:3, Bible scholar Melancthon W. Jacobus wrote: “Here God appears for the first time on record as man among men, to show the reality of His Being, and of His affinity with men, and by this typical act to assure the patriarch of the Divine communion and fellowship.” Those having this point of view could conclude that Abraham actually saw GOD with his physical eyes and that persons who saw Jesus Christ also saw God. But is this conclusion in harmony with the Bible?
What Jesus Said
Instead of announcing that he was God in the flesh, Jesus Christ said: “I am God’s Son.” (John 10:36) As Yahweh’s perfect Representative, Jesus also said: “I cannot do a single thing of my own initiative; just as I hear, I judge; and the judgment that I render is righteous, because I seek, not my own will, but the will of him that sent me.” (John 5:30) Towards the death of Christ, he prayed to the great Creator in the heavens, addressing him as “My God, my God.” (Matthew 27:46) After his resurrection, Jesus told Mary Magdalene: “I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.” (John 20:1, 17) Since Jesus Christ was not God incarnate, no one who saw Jesus could say that he had thus seen God.
John, the apostle whom Jesus especially loved, confirmed the fact that the apostles were not seeing God when they looked at Jesus. Under inspiration John said: “No man has seen God at any time.” (John 1:18) Whom, then, did Abraham see? The experience of Moses helps us to find the answer.
How Moses Saw God
Moses once expressed the desire to see God. At Exodus 33:18-20, we read: “‘Cause me [Moses] to see, please, your glory.’ But he [God] said: ‘I myself shall cause all my goodness to pass before your face, and I will declare the name of Yahweh before you; and I will favor the one whom I may favor, and I will show mercy to the one to whom I may show mercy.’ And he added: ‘You are not able to see my face, because no man may see me and yet live.’”
What God permitted Moses to see was His passing glory. Verses 21-23 state: “And GOD said further: ‘Here is a place with me, and you must station yourself upon the rock. And it has to occur that while my glory is passing by I must place you in a hole in the rock, and I must put my palm over you as a screen until I have passed by. After that I must take my palm away, and you will indeed see my back. But my face may not be seen.’”
In harmony with what Yahweh told Moses and what the apostle John said, Moses saw no materialization or material form of God. All that Moses saw was the afterglow of the divine presence passing by. Even then he had to be divinely protected. Obviously, it was not God himself that Moses saw.
When Moses spoke to God “face to face,” as stated at Exodus 33:11, he was not in visual contact with Yahweh. This expression indicates the manner in which Moses communicated with God, not what he saw. Speaking with God “face to face” indicates a two-way conversation. Similarly, an individual can carry on a two-way conversation by telephone without seeing the other person.
When Moses talked with God and received instructions from him, the communication was not through visions, as was often the case with other prophets. This is noted at Numbers 12:6-8, where we read: “He went on to say: ‘Hear my words, please. If there came to be a prophet of yours for Yahweh, it would be in a vision I would make myself known to him. In a dream I would speak to him. Not so my servant Moses! He is being entrusted with all my house. Mouth to mouth I speak to him, thus showing him, and not by riddles; and the appearance of Yahweh is what he beholds.’” In what sense did Moses behold “the appearance of Yahweh”?
Moses beheld “the appearance of Yahweh” when he, Aaron, and certain other men were on Mount Sinai. At Exodus 24:10, it is written: “They got to see the God of Israel. And under his feet there was what seemed like a work of sapphire flagstones and like the very heavens for purity.” But how did Moses and the other men get to “see the God of Israel,” since God had told him, “No man may see me and yet live”? Verse 11 explains, for it says: “He did not put out his hand against the distinguished men of the sons of Israel, but they got a vision of the true God and ate and drank.” So the appearance of God that Moses and the others saw was by means of a vision.
Angelic Representatives
It has not been necessary for the great Creator of the universe to come down from his lofty place in the heavens in order to deliver messages to certain humans. Aside from the three recorded instances when God’s own voice was heard while his Son was on the earth, Yahweh has always used angels to transmit His messages. (Matthew 3:17; 17:5; John 12:28) Even the Law that God gave to the nation of Israel at Mount Sinai was transmitted by angels, although Moses was represented as talking directly with God himself. Regarding this, the apostle Paul wrote: “why ,then,was the law given?it was given alongside the promise to show people their sins.but the law was designed to last only until the coming of the child who was promised.God gave his law through angels to moses,who was the mediator between God and the people(new living translation).”—Galatians 3:19.
That Moses actually spoke with an angel who was personally representing God is also indicated at Acts 7:38, which states: “He was in the assembly in the desert ,with the angel who spoke to him on mount Sinai,and with our fathers;and he received living words to pass on to us”(NIV). That angel was the personal spokesman for Yahweh, the Creator, and so he spoke to Moses as if God himself were speaking.
The angel who delivered God’s message to Moses at the burning thornbush was also a spokesman. He is identified as Yahweh’s angel at Exodus 3:2, where we are told: “and the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush;and he looked,and ,behold,the bush burned with fire,and the bush was not consumed.” Verse 4 says: “And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see,God called unto him out of the midst of the bush,and said,moses,moses.And he said Here I am.” In verse 6, this angelic spokesman for God said: “Moreover he said,I am the God of thy father,the God of Abraham,the GOD of Isaac and the GOD of Jacob.And moses hid his face;for he was afraid to look upon God.” So when speaking with this personal representative of God, Moses spoke as if he were speaking to Yahweh himself.—Exodus 4:10.
In the 6th chapter of Judges, we find another example of a man speaking to God through an angelic representative. Verse 11 identifies the message bearer as “Yahwehs angel.” There we read: “Later yahweh’s angel came and sat under the big tree that was in Ophrah, which belonged to Joash the Abiezrite, while Gideon his son was beating out wheat in the winepress so as to get it quickly out of the sight of Midian.” This messenger, “God’s angel,” is thereafter represented as if he were YAHWEH himself. In verses 14 and 15, we read: “Upon that GOD faced [Gideon] and said: ‘Go in this power of yours, and you will certainly save Israel out of Midian’s palm. Do I not send you?’ In turn he said to him: ‘Excuse me, LORD. With what shall I save Israel?’” So the materialized angel seen by Gideon and with whom he spoke is represented in the Biblical account as if he were God himself. In verse 22, Gideon says: “I have seen an angel of the LORD face to face!” The angel spoke precisely what God told him to speak. Therefore, Gideon spoke with God through this angelic spokesman.
Consider, too, the case of Manoah and his wife, the parents of Samson. This account also speaks of the angelic messenger as “Jehovah’s angel” and “the angel of the true God.” (Judges 13:2-18) In verse 22, Manoah says to his wife: “We shall positively die, because it is God that we have seen.” Although he did not actually see God, Manoah felt that way because he had seen the materialized personal spokesman for God.
“No Man Has Seen God”
Now it is possible to understand why Abraham addressed the materialized angelic spokesman of God as if he were talking to Yahweh himself. Since this angel spoke precisely what God wanted to have said to Abraham and was there personally representing Him, the Biblical record could say that “the LORD appeared to him.”—Genesis 18:1.
Remember that an angelic spokesman for God could transmit His messages just as precisely as a telephone or a radio can transmit our words to another person. Hence, it can be understood how Abraham, Moses, Manoah, and others could speak with a materialized angel as if they were talking to God. While such individuals were able to see these angels and the glory of Yahweh reflected by them, they were not able to see God. Therefore, this in no way contradicts the apostle John’s statement: “No man has seen God at any time.” (John 1:18) What these men saw were angelic representatives and not God himself.
Those are examples of how Yahweh used his spirit messangers to deliver timely utterances back then……..
They spoke exactly what Yahweh wanted them to say,which is the same case with Jesus…..

Jesus said nothing out of his own originality…what ever the Father told him to say is what he said @ every given point in time……
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by haibe(m): 6:09pm On Sep 25, 2012
Genesis 18:1-33
King James Version (KJV)
And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the
heat of the day;
2 And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he
ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,
3 And said, My LORD, if now I have found favour in thy sight, pass not away, I pray thee, from
thy servant:
4 Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:
5 And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for
therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.
6 And Abraham hastened into the tent unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly three measures of
fine meal, knead it, and make cakes upon the hearth.
7 And Abraham ran unto the herd, and fetcht a calf tender and good, and gave it unto a young
man; and he hasted to dress it.
8 And he took butter, and milk, and the calf which he had dressed, and set it before them; and he
stood by them under the tree, and they did eat.
9 And they said unto him, Where is Sarah thy wife? And he said, Behold, in the tent.
10 And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy
wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him.
11 Now Abraham and Sarah were old and well stricken in age; and it ceased to be with Sarah
after the manner of women.
12 Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my
lord being old also?
13 And the LORD said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear
a child, which am old?
14 Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to
the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.
15 Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not; for she was afraid. And he said, Nay; but thou didst
laugh.
16 And the men rose up from thence, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to
bring them on the way.
17 And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;
18 Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the
earth shall be blessed in him?
19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall
keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham
that which he hath spoken of him.
20 And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is
very grievous;
21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it,
which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.
22 And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet
before the LORD.
23 And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?
24 Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the
place for the fifty righteous that are therein?
25 That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that
the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do
right?
26 And the LORD said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the
place for their sakes.
27 And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the LORD,
which am but dust and ashes:
28 Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of
five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it.
29 And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall be forty found there. And
he said, I will not do it for forty's sake.
30 And he said unto him, Oh let not the LORD be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there
shall thirty be found there. And he said, I will not do it, if I find thirty there.
31 And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the LORD: Peradventure there
shall be twenty found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for twenty's sake.
32 And he said, Oh let not the LORD be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure
ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake.
33 And the LORD went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham
returned unto his place.

Can any sane person tell all the three men here are all angels, then there is a problem, ijawkid there must be a problem with your understanding of the scriptures.lol
Re: 34 Reasons Why The “holy Spirit” Is Not A “person” - Bible Scholars attention ! by ijawkid(m): 6:10pm On Sep 25, 2012
haibe:

Lol, i now see what the watch tower has done to you, So it was an angel that later went to destroy sodom and gomorrah after leaving abraham? Nice one.

My bro, please read your bible well, frosbel i think you can help ijawkid, seems you have a better understanding than him in this aspect.

Was the LORD used in those texts referring to an angel?

Now why did u mention watchtower??

Have I given u 1??lol...

I have answered your question......read it up...

You are the one who needs to sit back and read the bible from cover to cover to get the sense of eveything.....

Oya read ....its up there...

I re-iterate::::::.....NO MAM has seen GOD @ anytime....

I didn't quote from watchtower,I quoted john 1:18....

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Top Ten Gospel Songs / CAN On Fuel Scarcity: This Looks Like An Attempt To Sabotage X-mas Celebrations / How I Embraced Sexual Purity And Chastity - My Journey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.