Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,238 members, 7,815,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:47 AM

Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? (1287 Views)

Man Surprises Girlfriend With Marriage Proposal (Photos) / Should I Still Go Ahead And Marry Him? / My Dead Husband's Family Refused To Bury Him Because I'm An Osu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by Serendipity: 11:16pm On Sep 05, 2012
Things like this can be convoluted and tortuos.
In Igbo land some people are regarded as outcasts with its concomitant and attendant consequence--discrimination. And this continues from generation to generation. In some parts of Igbo land, it is one of the important things to check during inquiries about your partner.
It is believed that relating with any of these pariahs marritally or otherwise will bring untold hardship and mishap to the person involved.

The advent of Christianity has made efforts to reduce this scourge through re-orientation and education-- that such things are mere superstitions.
Legally, it has been abolished in Nigeria.
Now, imagine being in a relationship with a person only to find out ultimately that he/she is a pariah, 'Osu' as we say in the Igbo.
The execrable part of it is that your family can see this as an impediment if they still hold tenaciously that such people are cursed and shouldn't be related with.
So what would you do should you find yourself in such a dire melee?
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by vivianc(f): 11:57pm On Sep 05, 2012
Thank God foR wheRe I come from, we don't discRiminate against osu even tho we acknowledge that they exist amongst us. So once I'm certain theRe is no hereditary sickness oR disease, oR bad trait I will definitely maRRy him.
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by Obinnau(m): 6:40am On Sep 06, 2012
you know what? People should scrap this idea of osu this osu that. For me if the girl is alright for me i will go ahead and marry her. Or are they marrying her? kini no big deal. I come from a part in enugu where this issue is causing unwanton blood spillage. I at times feel like men poo. People should stop it. We are all eqaul
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by KINGwax(m): 7:55am On Sep 06, 2012
What year is it?
Are some tribes still so uncivilized?
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by hakunajay(m): 8:15am On Sep 06, 2012
KINGwax: What year is it?

Hey man! Your comment is totally uncivilized and uncalled for. Perhaps, you should tell me your tribe and let me point out some uncivilized cultures of your tribe which i bet, is still primitive. The Osu thing in Igboland is one thing which the Igbo men has generally come up against but the actual problem is the hearts of men which cannot be easily changed from what it believes. The stigmatization is still there just as it is in India despite the efforts made by Ghandi and co. So dont come here and be spewing thrash!
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 06, 2012
I will still go ahead and marry him/her, osu or not. Only thing i need to know is 'Am I absolutely certain he is the one i wanna spend the rest of my life with, come rain, come sunshine?'
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by Serendipity: 8:37am On Sep 06, 2012
vivian chinaza: Thank God foR wheRe I come from, we don't discRiminate against osu even tho we acknowledge that they exist amongst us. So once I'm certain theRe is no hereditary sickness oR disease, oR bad trait I will definitely maRRy him.
Yea, I like your faith. But what if your family is not in support?
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by Serendipity: 4:35pm On Sep 06, 2012
Obinnau: you know what? People should scrap this idea of osu this osu that. For me if the girl is alright for me i will go ahead and marry her. Or are they marrying her? kini no big deal. I come from a part in enugu where this issue is causing unwanton blood spillage. I at times feel like men poo. People should stop it. We are all eqaul
Yea! It's as if Enugu is somewhat engrossed with it...
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by Mynd44: 4:46pm On Sep 06, 2012
KINGwax: What year is it?
I vote that the OP should be slapped
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by Serendipity: 8:37pm On Sep 06, 2012
Mynd_44:
I vote that the OP should be slapped
Did you at all check who posted what?
At any rate, I can't recall inviting wusses and dolts to comment.
You striplings have gained notoriety in inditing balderdash in the guise of comments.
It's doleful and piteous.
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by Mynd44: 9:13pm On Sep 06, 2012
Serendipity:
Did you at all check who posted what?
At any rate, I can't recall inviting wusses and dolts to comment.
You striplings have gained notoriety in inditing balderdash in the guise of comments.
It's doleful and piteous.
I must have hit a nerve somewhere but that does not stop the truth
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by MrsChima1(f): 9:19pm On Sep 06, 2012
I am not sure if all Igbo villages have the same mentality because my husband states that most people are driven out the village into the city and are forbidden to come back to the village even their children aren't allowed to visit.

Is that the same for all Igbo villages or just specific ones?
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by Serendipity: 11:28pm On Sep 06, 2012
Mynd_44:
I must have hit a nerve somewhere but that does not stop the truth
Which nerve and what truth?
It is lucid and clear as day that you are daft and unregenerate.
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by Serendipity: 11:31pm On Sep 06, 2012
Mrs..Chima:
I am not sure if all Igbo villages have the same mentality because my husband states that most people are driven out the village into the city and are forbidden to come back to the village even their children aren't allowed to visit.

Is that the same for all Igbo villages or just specific ones?
I agree, it's that there are still striking similarities that exists in degree...
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by vivianc(f): 11:46pm On Sep 06, 2012
@serendipity; I just told you wheRe I come fRom we don't care about such things. My parents will be moRe interest in him and the kind of family he is fRom! But let's assume they care about "osu" and kicks against ouR marRiage? We will put in efforts to convince but if they are still adamant..... I will maRry myself off to him free of chaRge...less expenses for us sef lol...we will start living as family and kids will start coming, wheneveR they aRe ready to accept us we will come back for the bride price! Lol.....so my paRents know better not to tRy me with such thing o!
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by Serendipity: 12:00am On Sep 07, 2012
vivian chinaza: @serendipity; I just told you wheRe I come fRom we don't care about such things. My parents will be moRe interest in him and the kind of family he is fRom! But let's assume they care about "osu" and kicks against ouR marRiage? We will put in efforts to convince but if they are still adamant..... I will maRry myself off to him free of chaRge...less expenses for us sef lol...we will start living as family and kids will start coming, wheneveR they aRe ready to accept us we will come back for the bride price! Lol.....so my paRents know better not to tRy me with such thing o!
Stellar!
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by shizzle11(m): 11:43am On Sep 07, 2012
vivian chinaza: @serendipity; I just told you wheRe I come fRom we don't care about such things. My parents will be moRe interest in him and the kind of family he is fRom! But let's assume they care about "osu" and kicks against ouR marRiage? We will put in efforts to convince but if they are still adamant..... I will maRry myself off to him free of chaRge...less expenses for us sef lol...we will start living as family and kids will start coming, wheneveR they aRe ready to accept us we will come back for the bride price! Lol.....so my paRents know better not to tRy me with such thing o!

Lool! Babe I like your guts

@op, truth is this 'osu' thing is really thwarting the marriage chances of some would-have-been couples. Honestly in my opinion, it should be outrigthly abolished. So much about discrimination. Haba!
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by xynerise: 12:03pm On Sep 07, 2012
@op. What qualifies one to be an Osu? God did not create anyone unclean so why are u still believing that fetish story? Gosh! Some Nigerians are still primitive undecided
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by iyatrustee(f): 12:10pm On Sep 07, 2012
^^^^ sharrap dia! see your mouth like osu sef angry angry angry
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by vivianc(f): 12:18pm On Sep 07, 2012
xynerise: @op. What qualifies one to be an Osu? God did not create anyone unclea[quote author=xynerise]@op. What qualifies one to be an Osu? God did not create anyone unclean so why are u still believing that fetish story? Gosh! Some Nigerians are still primitive undecided

Mr. U just experienced what is called culture shock. That doesn't make us pRimitive neither does it make u moRe civilised!
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by xynerise: 12:31pm On Sep 07, 2012
iyatrustee: ^^^^ sharrap dia! see your mouth like osu sef angry angry angry
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by xynerise: 12:32pm On Sep 07, 2012
where is my catapult? Let me teach this Doe a lesson.
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by xynerise: 12:43pm On Sep 07, 2012
[quote author=vivian chinaza][/quote]
hmmm. Tell me something.
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by iyatrustee(f): 1:46pm On Sep 07, 2012
somethings dont just change! still double posting even after one? angry angry angry
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by xynerise: 2:37pm On Sep 07, 2012
iyatrustee: somethings dont just change! still double posting even after one? angry angry angry
go and hug a wet transformer tongue
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by Serendipity: 6:36pm On Sep 08, 2012
xynerise: @op. What qualifies one to be an Osu? God did not create anyone unclean so why are u still believing that fetish story? Gosh! Some Nigerians are still primitive undecided
The truth is self evident that clarity of expression precedes clarity of understanding.
Did I say that 'I' still believe it?
Or was my post cryptic or esoteric?
Re: Will You Still Go Ahead With Marriage If He/she Is An 'osu'? by Serendipity: 6:41pm On Sep 08, 2012
What necessitated this flak?

(1) (Reply)

Ladies, Do You Feel Bad If A Guy Walks Up To You And Start Toasting / Guys How Did You Woo Your First Date? / What Makes Men Cheat?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.