Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,907 members, 7,824,800 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1839738 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (906) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by nancynoble(f): 11:29pm On Nov 13, 2012
[quote author=ebsuguy]i think for now.....alll my mind is too pass my 2ND MBBS exam first b4 i think of dat....still in preclinicals so....i dont even knw which of d clinical courses i will put more interest[/quotes same here\is there anything like past questions on anatomy, Physio
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ebsuguy(m): 12:18am On Nov 14, 2012
yes.....wic part?...embryo,histo,gross......
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TCD: 9:33am On Nov 14, 2012
Ok guys now the continuation of my long rant. Sorry this is coming late.

For your year two you start pre-clinical. .......Anatomy, physiology, biochemistry. Depending on your school anatomy canned broken down to gross anatomy, neuro anatomy, embryology, histology etc. Physiology, CVS physiology, neurophysiology, endocrinology respiratory, etc. Biochemistry also has its own.

What I'll advice any preclinical student is even if you don't know anything please just KNOW your Physiology. In my opinion physiology is the basis of medicine. In simple terms it deals with the normal functioning of the human body. If you know the normal, studying the abnormal in your clinical classes will be a piece of cake. Because pathology, OnG, paeds, internal med and surgery for the,most part deal with abnormal physiology and how to correct them.

Someone asked about the pass/fail system. It just means that there are no grades A, B, C, D, E, F. Once you get 50% and above you are graded as P(pass). 49 and below is Fail. So strive to get at least 50 in all your assessments. Even if you get below 50 for example 45 in PHS 2011, you can buffer using another Physiology course eg PHS 2012 scored 55. Your average will now be 50.

It'll be a good idea to get video lectures on anatomy, PHS and biochemistry. They help alot. You should have some for sale in your school. YouTube is also a very good resource for video lectures.
The Internet is also your friend. There are countless textbooks available for download online. Especially anatomy. It used to be so abstract to me back then, till I was able to come across some very wonderful textbooks which just simplified everything with pictures atlas and explanations.

Remember back then our neuroanatomy lecturer will just come, blab, show us cardboard with very ugly drawings and disappears. I did not even bother. Just crammed what I could went for exam and wrote wetin I fit. Wasn't until when I was researching for a seminar sometime ago I came across atlas of regional anatomy of the brain, functional neuroanatomy, and some other pdf textbooks on neuroanatomy did I finally appreciate that course.

Cant remember when last I bought a textbook in med school. Why would I spend 7K+ on kumar or Davidson when I can get it soft copy for free and carry it around in my pocket.

Never underestimate the power of a good phone, tablet or laptop. Infact everyone should have a laptop at least. It helps. That way you can always carry your library everywhere with you. The books I have in different courses number up to 200 they come in handy for referencing.

Now onto money matters. As a medical student you're eligible to apply for a number of scholarships. Please do apply when they come out. Better for you if you're from the south south. I have classmates who get close to 1 million a year from different scholarships including their state governments and alot of oil companies. I wasn't as aggressive as them in applying back then and I regret it now. These days it's even easier most applications are done online. Back then you had to run from pillar to post, photocopying this, attaching that, stamp this, NIPOST wahala etc. Times have really changed walahi.

There are blogs you can subscribe to that give you updates as soon as scholarship opportunities open up.

Rounding up preclinical, you'll be writing your 2ND MB exam in your 3rd year. That's your first professional exams. All the exams you've been writing from yr2 to yr 3 is just continuous assessment towards this professional exam. They make up 40% of your score while the MB itself is 60% a total of 100%. You just need 50% to pass. However you get the 50 doesn't matter. Just get it.

17 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TCD: 9:33am On Nov 14, 2012
Will post continuation to clinicals later. . And to our brothers and sisters in foreign schools, fear not questions are basically the same here too just for some minor differences I'll enumerate later.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ImmaOla: 3:00pm On Nov 14, 2012
@ TCD....pls from which web sites can one download or get medical textbooks frm. Thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Iykemoney1(m): 11:32pm On Nov 14, 2012
Hello docs, jus got admitted 2 study microbiology @ imsu. Pls, wat do i do inorder 2 switch 2 medicine in ma 2nd yr?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Kadata(m): 7:34am On Nov 15, 2012
ImmaOla: @ TCD....pls from which web sites can one download or get medical textbooks frm. Thanks

4shared.com

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nonleviki: 10:46am On Nov 15, 2012
Woz d diff btw 4share free nd 4share premium. I need an explanation of hw 2 mek use of d site, though, i hv open an acct. Thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by nancynoble(f): 11:13am On Nov 15, 2012
ebsuguy: yes.....wic part?...embryo,histo,gross......
on all like anatomy(gross'histo,embryo,neuro) physio and biochem in preparation for 2nd mbbs and how can I get them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Kadata(m): 12:50pm On Nov 15, 2012
Nonleviki: Woz d diff btw 4share free nd 4share premium. I need an explanation of hw 2 mek use of d site, though, i hv open an acct. Thanks

If you've opened an account, then you are free to start downloading. Just search what you need. The only diff I've noticed btw the free and premium ish is the "waiting time" . In the free one, you'd wait a couple of seconds b4 ur download starts. There maybe a couple of other differences.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Kadata(m): 1:09pm On Nov 15, 2012
TCD:
[B]Cant remember when last I bought a textbook in med school.[/B] Why would I spend 7K+ on kumar or Davidson when I can get it soft copy for free and carry it around in my pocket.

Same here. Some books have sha proven 'undownloadable'. A stubborn one has been Norman Browse. Had no choice but to buy. Its the only I've bought so far. The rest are carefully on my tab.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TCD: 2:54pm On Nov 15, 2012
Kadata:

Same here. Some books have sha proven 'undownloadable'. A stubborn one has been Norman Browse. Had no choice but to buy. Its the only I've bought so far. The rest are carefully on my tab.
your head dey there my guy.

Some of my colleagues don't like reading off a tablet screen though. They prefer the traditional book. Na them savings sha.

Do you have Hutchinson in pdf? Have it in CHM but playbook doesn't support CHM have to use laptop. I need read that stuff before finals.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Kadata(m): 5:22pm On Nov 15, 2012
TCD:
Do you have Hutchinson in pdf? Have it in CHM but playbook doesn't support CHM have to use laptop. I need read that stuff before finals.

Hutchinson in pdf is like the biblical camel passing through the eyes of a needle. I'm sha managing the chm in the tab 10.1. Chm readers on android Os is common thing. I used to hear that playbook can download from android market- dunnoo how true. Or a chm to pdf converter might do the job.

Laptop has recently been too heavy to carry.

I really like the idea of that good phone you raised - even Samsung galaxy pocket reads .chm and pdf perfectly- just the screen size ish. I was so surprised it did. But at least it does.

Btw, we are waiting for the part 2 of ur post for us in clinicals.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ImmaOla: 5:45pm On Nov 15, 2012
Kadata:

4shared.com

Thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by hardmanvicky(m): 6:27pm On Nov 15, 2012
TCD: Will post continuation to clinicals later. . And to our brothers and sisters in foreign schools, fear not questions are basically the same here too just for some minor differences I'll enumerate later.
pls share the site we can download dis textbooks. As many site as u can remember just share it
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 9:16pm On Nov 16, 2012
Yes!!! Just finished my M3 posting exam, starting S3 next week, which will be my final clinical posting!!!

God you are too much for seeing me through 6 good years of hardwork, diligence and perseverance!!!

I pray that all medics starting this journey will make it even better than I did!!!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Simplefemo(m): 10:20pm On Nov 16, 2012
Lagusta: Yes!!! Just finished my M3 posting exam, starting S3 next week, which will be my final clinical posting!!!

God you are too much for seeing me through 6 good years of hardwork, diligence and perseverance!!!

I pray that all medics starting this journey will make it even better than I did!!!
CONGRATULATIONS
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by OME1(m): 6:51am On Nov 17, 2012
Lagusta: Yes!!! Just finished my M3 posting exam, starting S3 next week, which will be my final clinical posting!!!

congrats sir...all the best..we go celebrate oh..no forget ur peeps here

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Iykemoney1(m): 1:29pm On Nov 17, 2012
Iyke money: Hello docs, jus got admitted 2 study microbiology @ imsu. Pls, wat do i do inorder 2 switch 2 medicine in ma 2nd yr?
pls i need advice 4rm u guyz, tanx
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrGboy(m): 1:31pm On Nov 17, 2012
Wadup guys..... Long time.
It hasn't been easy here at unilag, lots of 'jacking' and intensive reading. To O.M.E, glowyn2shyn and oda freshers, just be urself ,buy past questns, read deeply and leave the rest for God.....It is well.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 2:43pm On Nov 17, 2012

WAOH, CONGRATULATIONS, DR. LAGUSTA.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TCD: 5:57pm On Nov 17, 2012

best of luck bro in finals . Wow 6 exact years in unilorin, you guys are damn lucky. Even no go better for ASUU and their numerous strikes sha
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by glowin2shyn(f): 6:14pm On Nov 17, 2012

CONGRATULATIONS SIR!!!!! this is just the beginning of great things in ur career!......
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TCD: 6:18pm On Nov 17, 2012
Kadata:

Hutchinson in pdf is like the biblical camel passing through the eyes of a needle. I'm sha managing the chm in the tab 10.1. Chm readers on android Os is common thing. I used to hear that playbook can download from android market- dunnoo how true. Or a chm to pdf converter might do the job.

Laptop has recently been too heavy to carry.

I really like the idea of that good phone you raised - even Samsung galaxy pocket reads .chm and pdf perfectly- just the screen size ish. I was so surprised it did. But at least it does.

Btw, we are waiting for the part 2 of ur post for us in clinicals.
Thanks for your response. CHM converters aren't really effective at least the ones I've tried. I'll manage the hutch like that, and substitute with one other one I got, quite detailed and in my opinion better than hutch.

PlayBook doesn't download directly android apps, not with the new OS upgrade that's unhackable.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by glowin2shyn(f): 6:19pm On Nov 17, 2012
[quote
author=Dr.Gboy]Wadup guys..... Long time.
It hasn't been easy here at unilag, lots of 'jacking' and intensive
reading. To O.M.E, glowyn2shyn and oda freshers, just be urself ,buy
past questns, read deeply and leave the rest for God.....It is
well.[/quote] the Lord is ur muscle ooo so dis means u guys have started lectures.... tanxxx God wil c us tru
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 6:21pm On Nov 17, 2012
Thanx to all of u for your wishes and prayers!!!

May God return what u wish for me in triple manifolds...

Remember, the skyis not the limit, in fact, the end of the universe is just the starting point, but if u work hard, be diligent, and of course... PRAY FEVERENTLY.... All your dreams and desires shall come to pass...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 6:22pm On Nov 17, 2012
Thanx to all of u for your wishes and prayers!!!

Remember, the sky is not the limit, in fact, the end of the universe is just the starting point, but if u work hard, be diligent, and of course... PRAY FEVERENTLY.... All your dreams and desires shall come to pass...

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TCD: 6:23pm On Nov 17, 2012
hardmanvicky: pls share the site we can download dis textbooks. As many site as u can remember just share it
4shared.com is a good source. Better, google is your best bet.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TCD: 6:30pm On Nov 17, 2012
Dr.Gboy:
Wadup guys..... Long time.
It hasn't been easy here at unilag, lots of 'jacking' and intensive reading. To O.M.E, glowyn2shyn and oda freshers, just be urself ,buy past questns, read deeply and leave the rest for God.....It is well.
didn't u just resume 100L this week or so? Abeg take am easy with the "jacking" and "intensive reading" o. No kill yourself.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by TCD: 6:32pm On Nov 17, 2012
Lagusta: Thanx to all of u for your wishes and prayers!!!

Remember, the sky is not the limit, in fact, the end of the universe is just the starting point, but if u work hard, be diligent, and of course... PRAY FEVERENTLY.... All your dreams and desires shall come to pass...

Boss, abeg When are you guys writing finals?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by glowin2shyn(f): 6:33pm On Nov 17, 2012
hy friends, quite some time, i just finished with my clearance! i ve registad for gst.bt registration of courses hasnt startes but 4rm wat i found out, i wud b offerin physics, chemistry,aeb(animal and environmental biology) 4maly noen as biology,and pbb (plant and sometin sometin biotechnology) formaly noen as botany,no maths *sad face*...... Dr Gboy or any fresha are dere any similarities wit ur courses?tanxx
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by martcrown: 12:33am On Nov 18, 2012
I realy love this thread, God bless the poster. Am a graduate of Biochemistry, i still want to study Medicine, which means i will av to apply through DE, pls can anyone just give me the necessary requirements to possess, and also if possible help me with the admission process by linking me up. Thanks and God you all.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (906) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.