Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,981 members, 7,814,335 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:15 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (247) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1828061 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Doclight(m): 2:08pm On Jul 04, 2015
Are u a medical Student?
sisiafrika:
shut it pls
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Profcamsey(m): 3:03pm On Jul 04, 2015
Doclight:
Is your School accredited for@medicine?
see question oh. What do you want from eksu self?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tpiander: 3:06pm On Jul 04, 2015
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by McHenry99: 4:51pm On Jul 04, 2015
smartdave1:
Good evening all!

Your junior brother (me) will be writting his post UTME on the 22nd of July 2015... LASU, pls always remember him in your prayers.

Thank you.
Go soldier and conquer...you shall share a good testimony, when you return.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 5:55pm On Jul 04, 2015
McHenry99:

Go soldier and conquer...you shall share a good testimony, when you return.
Wow, Wow, Wow!

Thank you sir.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by glowin2shyn(f): 8:07pm On Jul 04, 2015
DrHesjay:
hmmm..long time here... I miss the good old days tho'..
when this thread was very very sweet.. I wish those days cld come back.. but mehn.. those books won't allow.. the then boys are now guys and the then guys are now men..
drgboy,alliandro, glowin2shyn, Lomaxx, lagusta, alutacontinua, ebsuguy... I hail oo
dockay!! Am fine oo..hope ur ghud?
*** hy medics! hope we are all moving stuff.. Been a while..2nd MB tinzz 'ere....classes,praticals and d work load just increases everyday..S/O to everyone prepin for 2nd MBBS We shall all walk tru dose hospitals' gates IJN abeg clinical folks drop advice and tips for us.....Success to smartdave and all prospective jambites,Dr Lomaxx,tanx for dose books You are carried and success in ur exam..how far UUMSA elEctn?wink Dr Lagusta,,i hail thee oo...aluta,Dr Gboy ni bo lo wa? Great job everyone!

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by slingerf: 11:15pm On Jul 04, 2015
Doclight:
Is your School accredited for@medicine?
Pls,do u want to help. Just asked for past questions.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by simba1: 1:37am On Jul 05, 2015
You surely lack manners! And it's such a pity that you're female. Happy Sunday!
sisiafrika:
shut it pls
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Fab001: 3:17am On Jul 05, 2015
Doclight:
Are u a medical Student?
She's in pharmacy
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 3:25am On Jul 05, 2015
Fab001:

She's in pharmacy
or nursing..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 7:41am On Jul 05, 2015
Doclight:
Are u a medical Stud?
lol medical student ke! She is a doctor wanna be . She applied for medicine serially but was not taken, that is why she hates medical students.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Benzene002: 9:02am On Jul 05, 2015
undecided
charleymed:
lol medical student ke! She is a doctor wanna be . She applied for medicine serially but was not taken, that is why she hates medical students.
That could be her problem cos I wonder how someone who will spend the rest of her life with people(patients and health workers) could be as mannerless as this! Sisiafrika, good luck
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sisiafrika(f): 9:36am On Jul 05, 2015
Benzene002:
undecidedThat could be her problem cos I wonder how someone who will spend the rest of her life with people(patients and health workers) could be as mannerless as this! Sisiafrika, good luck
asshooOole quit pls
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sisiafrika(f): 9:37am On Jul 05, 2015
simba1:
You surely lack manners! And it's such a pity that you're female. Happy Sunday!
such a pity ur a dumbasss
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sisiafrika(f): 9:38am On Jul 05, 2015
charleymed:
mumu, why u no tag me? Olodo
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sisiafrika(f): 9:40am On Jul 05, 2015
Fab001:
She's in pharmacy
here is a stalker. #blushes
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by sisiafrika(f): 9:42am On Jul 05, 2015
Doclight:
Are u a medical Student?
so u haven't decided where or what to settle for? Stop wasting time..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jul 05, 2015
sisiafrika:
it was an opinion not fact
it is an opinion as well as a fact. try and confirm this pls.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrGboy(m): 2:14pm On Jul 05, 2015
glowin2shyn:
*** hy medics! hope we are all moving stuff.. Been a while..2nd MB tinzz 'ere....classes,praticals and d work load just increases everyday..S/O to everyone prepin for 2nd MBBS We shall all walk tru dose hospitals' gates IJN abeg clinical folks drop advice and tips for us.....Success to smartdave and all prospective jambites,Dr Lomaxx,tanx for dose books You are carried and success in ur exam..how far UUMSA elEctn?wink Dr Lagusta,,i hail thee oo...aluta,Dr Gboy ni bo lo wa? Great job everyone!

I'm cool .I've been studying for 2nd mb. Honestly pathology and pharmacology are really voluminous. Its funny how most students put in alot of effort just to pass incourses without understanding the concepts of what they are really learning. Guess that's how the curriculum is designed.Thumbs up to lagusta, lomaxx and all other medics in the house.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by smartdave1: 3:43pm On Jul 05, 2015
glowin2shyn:
*** hy medics! hope we are all moving stuff.. Been a while..2nd MB tinzz 'ere....classes,praticals and d work load just increases everyday..S/O to everyone prepin for 2nd MBBS We shall all walk tru dose hospitals' gates IJN abeg clinical folks drop advice and tips for us..... Success to smartdave and all prospective jambites, Dr Lomaxx,tanx for dose books You are carried and success in ur exam..how far UUMSA elEctn?wink Dr Lagusta,,i hail thee oo...aluta,Dr Gboy ni bo lo wa? Great job everyone!
Thank you sist.

Your story back then was a light to someone's path...
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ibsgal(f): 9:41am On Jul 06, 2015
Wow, nice thread. Can't believe I didn't find it before.

Hey team, I'm a med student in the states who wants to do a sub-internship at home, preferably in the southwest. I sent several inquiries to UCH, but to no avail. I'd appreciate it if anyone can offer me pointers on how to proceed. Thanks!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by cardiologist(m): 3:39pm On Jul 06, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tpiander: 7:22pm On Jul 06, 2015
Ibsgal:
Wow, nice thread. Can't believe I didn't find it before.

Hey team, I'm a med student in the states who wants to do a sub-internship at home, preferably in the southwest. I sent several inquiries to UCH, but to no avail. I'd appreciate it if anyone can offer me pointers on how to proceed. Thanks!

you'll probably have to move back home first so you can look around for yourself. Or have people you know, make enquiries for you if they can.

I'm not sure how easy it is to process such things from abroad without actually being there. Maybe someone here would know more.

You can also link up with non profit medical outreaches perhaps. Not sure what the criteria are though.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by muta1996(m): 11:46am On Jul 07, 2015
cardiologist:
I have really missed doctor lagusta cos I known he will have be a medical doctor
Yea,he is now a medical doctor
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Akinsola30(m): 8:54am On Jul 08, 2015
DrGboy:

I'm cool .I've been studying for 2nd mb. Honestly pathology and pharmacology are really voluminous. Its funny how most students put in alot of effort just to pass incourses without understanding the concepts of what they are really learning. Guess that's how the curriculum is designed.Thumbs up to lagusta, lomaxx and all other medics in the house.
u know dis
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Fab001: 7:41pm On Jul 09, 2015
1)A 3-year-old boy presents with 3 days of a low-grade fever, joint pain, and a “ lacy-”appearing rash on his arms and legs. His rash began on his face and he appeared to have “slapped cheeks.” The chemical messenger that caused the symptoms (vasodilatation presenting clinically as a “rash”) can be classified as which one of the following?
(A) Cytokine
(B) Neuropeptide
(C) Eicosanoid
(D) Steroid hormone
(E) Amino acid

2)A person is diagnosed with group A streptococcal bacteremia. One of the body’s major defenses in this type of disease is for eosinophils to phagocytize the bacteria. Once internalized, the bacteria are destroyed by fusing the phagosome with a particular intracellular organelle. Which one of the following would destroy the activity of that organelle such that the bacteria would not be incapacitated?
(A) Inhibiting sodium–potassium ATPase activity
(B) Interfering with mitochondrial protein synthesis
(C) Blocking transport through nuclear pores (D) Inhibiting a proton-translocating ATPase (E) Inhibiting a calcium-activated ATPase

3)A 62-year-old male has a reddish, rough patch with white scales on the top of his ear. He does not get this treated, and 3 years later it has become an enlarged, raised lesion with a central ulcerated area that will not heal. Of the following, which is the most likely causative factor for this malignancy?
(A) Creation of pyrimidine dimers
(B) Creation of hydroxyl radicals
(C) Oncogenic RNA virus
(D) TNF receptor mutation
(E) Double-strand breaks in the DNA

Just to keep the thread going.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by deedrizzie: 11:52pm On Jul 09, 2015
Good evening Sirs & Mas... i just made it through to preclinicals(resuming September).. and the list of books are so many and expensive too... well, I've bn able to get some of them in softcopy... but i need some hardcopy books too(due to our epileptic power supply in this country).. so i need advise on which books to buy in hardcopy... specially fr biochemistry, embryology and gross anatomy... Thanks (uith students preferably)
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tpiander: 12:03am On Jul 10, 2015
Lagusta:
HI.

I am a final year med student of UNILORIN. I opened this thread cos I noticed there isn't any that is specially for medical students, and I believe this is an opportunity for all docs in the making to meet, chat, share experiences, ask questions, and even make new friends!

Jambitos who wish to study medicine are also welcome...

So, let the clerking and presentation begin!!!!

this is the original post, not sure the thread should be taken over by case presentations and exam questions.

perhaps those could be on a separate thread?

Of course I do not know if the questions have been posted for long, just observing.

We do not want a situation where it seems you are posting actual health issues experienced by real life nairalanders or real life people, in the form of nairaland chitchat.

That's an invasion of privacy since health matters are supposed to be privately discussed and a public online forum does not qualify as private. More doctors and health care staff are into information technology these days, so its not like you cant be traced.

The health section is available for people who need help or advice for various ailments.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Benzene002: 2:38am On Jul 10, 2015
tpiander:

this is the original post, not sure the thread should be taken over by case presentations and exam questions.
perhaps those could be on a separate thread?
Of course I do not know if the questions have been posted for long, just observing.
We do not want a situation where it seems you are posting actual health issues experienced by real life nairalanders or real life people, in the form of nairaland chitchat.
That's an invasion of privacy since health matters are supposed to be privately discussed and a public online forum does not qualify as private. More doctors and health care staff are into information technology these days, so its not like you cant be traced.
The health section is available for people who need help or advice for various ailments.
That's how it has been... Apart from necessary tips given on the thread, posting exam questions and case presentations are equally allowed

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Benzene002: 4:30am On Jul 10, 2015
undecided
isaacjef1:
GREAT NIGERIA STUDENT!!!
Good news to you all who didn't do well in you last jamb and you performance was so atrocious and appalling, abysmal or unsatisfactory there is still hope for you just contact me and i will put you through the process on how you can gain admission even with jamb score as truncated as 150...
CALL 08083699988 OR 07059149289
crap!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:05am On Jul 10, 2015
deedrizzie:
Good evening Sirs & Mas... i just made it through to preclinicals(resuming September).. and the list of books are so many and expensive too... well, I've bn able to get some of them in softcopy... but i need some hardcopy books too(due to our epileptic power supply in this country).. so i need advise on which books to buy in hardcopy... specially fr biochemistry, embryology and gross anatomy... Thanks (uith students preferably)
Baba, how far?
I advise that you study all d soft copies of those books to know which of them u prefer. Then get the hard copies of the ones u prefer...
This way, u won't waste money on books u won't eventually read.
Embryology...
People will tell u to get Saddler's or Developing Human. study the first 2 topics in the soft copies. Get the one u prefer. I use developing human b while majority of my class mates use Saddler's...
Biochemistry
They will tell u to get either Harpers or Lippincotts.
I made d mistake of not studying the soft copies, and I got Harpers.. I regret that decision till tomorrow.. I just wanted the money.. I dnt understand anything Inside d hook.. I just have a natural hatred for it. It has bn with a friend for over 5months now..
I cane across Vasudevan's and I loved it.. Then I got the hard copy.. And biochemistry became 'okro'.. Thats y u should study those books before buying..

Histology:
there are lots of options in histology.. But most people use Junquira. I also got junquira.. But later, I found 'Singh's'... and I bought the hardcopy.. Since then, Singh's became my first choice.. it simplifies everything.. Tho I still use d junquira sometimes.
Gross..
The big thing.. As usual... all students get Clinically oriented anatomy(Keith Moore)
If u r not rili the 'softcopy' person.. I advise u get 2 books on gross.. probably Keith Moore and Chaurasia... There's also one brilliant book that I came across.. can't remember d name but they call it 'Above/Below Diaphragm' The book has 2 volumes... 'Above Diaphragm' and 'below diaphragm'.. if u can get it.. good for u oo.. Most people dnt understand that Keith Moore wastes time.. or maybe I am d only one that sees that..
Physiology:
It all depends on what you like... But since u r coming to Ilorin.. get Ganong... u just have to use d book.. I hate the book tho'.. I prefer Guyton.. But in ilorin, u have no choice, if u dnt want to fail.. u just have to use Ganong..
Basically.. Get at least
* One Gross anatomy book
* One Physiology book
* One embryology book
* One biochemistry book
* One histology book.
* One Anatomy Atlas(Netters preferably)
* Cunningham Dissection manual
* A medical dictionary
You can get more, it depends on you..
But above all.. never get too far from your soft copies..
On each course, on d average, I have like 5 soft copy books each..
It helps.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (244) (245) (246) (247) (248) (249) (250) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.