Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,956 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:10 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (547) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1831633 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (544) (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) (550) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Bobola07(m): 3:19am On Aug 27, 2018
ISISs:

Bobola.. Send me ur number if u still have mine, or better still, buzz me on WhatsApp.

I've done that.
welcome back.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Bobola07(m): 3:26am On Aug 27, 2018
rotimi9:
Good evening medics.......please I require a sincere and thorough advice from my experienced medics.

I was just offered admission through DE 200 level dentistry and utme 100 level medicine and surgery .....please which should I go for cause I heard dey are both similar courses..... I'm kinda in a cross road please help.

Cross road..
hmm

Bro, just go for what your mind truly wants.
they are similar but then, they are not the same.
#My1cent

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by khingTony(m): 6:13am On Aug 27, 2018
rotimi9:
Good evening medics.......please I require a sincere and thorough advice from my experienced medics.

I was just offered admission through DE 200 level dentistry and utme 100 level medicine and surgery .....please which should I go for cause I heard dey are both similar courses..... I'm kinda in a cross road please help.
Firstly, congrats
Am sure if it was the other way round, that is, if you were offered admission through DE 200 Level Medicine and surgery and dentistry 100 level through UTME, You wouldn't have asked for help, you would have picked medicine without a second thought, so it means you desire medicine more, it's all up to you

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ISISs(m): 12:41pm On Aug 27, 2018
Bobola07:

I've done that.
welcome back.
Thanks colleague.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ISISs(m): 12:42pm On Aug 27, 2018
khingTony:

Firstly, congrats
Am sure if it was the other way round, that is, if you were offered admission through DE 200 Level Medicine and surgery and dentistry 100 level through UTME, You wouldn't have asked for help, you would have picked medicine without a second thought, so it means you desire medicine more, it's all up to you
Best answer.
U are smart.

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by khingTony(m): 1:45pm On Aug 27, 2018
ISISs:

Best answer.
U are smart.
cheesy
Thanks doc.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Berly(m): 2:51pm On Aug 27, 2018
ISISs:

Best answer.
U are smart.
seriously tho, really a wise ansa

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Berly(m): 3:27pm On Aug 27, 2018
[quote author=Brukx post=70599197]

There's a study group my friend created on WhatsApp.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by hagiosfemi(m): 4:54pm On Aug 27, 2018
DrMuphasa:
......please is ur path/pharm class different from ur 400 level?
No

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ISISs(m): 7:53pm On Aug 27, 2018
Berly:
seriously tho, really a wise ansa
smiley

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ISISs(m): 7:54pm On Aug 27, 2018
khingTony:

cheesy
Thanks doc.
U are welcome.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by peterspp(m): 11:25pm On Aug 27, 2018
For those who need admission in University of Calabar(UNICAL), University of Nigeria(UNN) and Enugu state university of technology(ESUT) , IMT, NEKEDE, but score relatively average in his or her jamb and post utme, should contact me. Take note that is for serious minded candidates.
Mind you, it is not a scam, it is for real , you can Meet me in person. They have started compiling list already ,if u are interested, contact me. Join my watapp group

https:///HQFgLePLNYqH2ZF7z3dIV1
Check my signature for my number
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Oogway: 12:43pm On Aug 28, 2018
peterspp:
For those who need admission in University of Calabar(UNICAL), University of Nigeria(UNN) and Enugu state university of technology(ESUT) , IMT, NEKEDE, but score relatively average in his or her jamb and post utme, should contact me. Take note that is for serious minded candidates.
Mind you, it is not a scam, it is for real , you can Meet me in person. They have started compiling list already ,if u are interested, contact me. Join my watapp group

stop scamming people

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ISISs(m): 4:05pm On Aug 28, 2018
peterspp:

Get a job man.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by aboking: 4:10pm On Aug 28, 2018
damilola8775:
don't worry bro, I'm gonna join you soon, next session is loading, moving to 200l. We're gonna bamboozle this place with questions.
honestly it's not interesting again. Justin imagine some will be displaying their jamb scores and asking their chances of being admitted.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by damilola8775(m): 9:13pm On Aug 28, 2018
aboking:
honestly it's not interesting again. Justin imagine some will be displaying their jamb scores and asking their chances of being admitted.
I hope that the times of old will be back again.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Berly(m): 9:24pm On Aug 29, 2018
aboking:
Well, it's also for aspirants u knw
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Berly(m): 9:26pm On Aug 29, 2018
DayoAlpha:
that's gonna be nice...
which university?
unizik
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Indomixx: 9:32pm On Aug 29, 2018
aboking:
Were u not an aspirant at one point in ur life??.... If yes, I don't see any reason for this comment of urs. U should know how it always is with aspirants hence the reason for asking some questions u find annoying. It's also for aspirants not students only.

5 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Oghenevwarho: 11:52am On Aug 30, 2018
Any Delsu Aspirant here
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ifiokjohn(m): 3:13pm On Aug 30, 2018
ISISs:

Jamb score 286
Post utme score 327
Average score 306.
Born 1996, from anambra nwewi north.
Congrats on this great journey uve begun.
some people are just pure evil genius in book. What kinda score is that? na only u waka come?"

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by zeezaa(f): 10:45pm On Aug 30, 2018
my sister's score jamb score 304 post ume score 340 aggregate 322 yet was not given admission in UNN medicine and surgery cry
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Zico5(m): 11:29pm On Aug 30, 2018
zeezaa:
my sister's score
jamb score 304
post ume score 340
aggregate 322
yet was not given admission in UNN medicine and surgery cry
Maybe u guys for south east are inflating figures. How is it possible for 322 aggregate not gain admission to study medicine in any higher institution in Nigeria. Even UI, OAU and Unilag that are far above with good reputation in medical line are not this difficult. Pls somebody should correct me if I'm wrong

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Brukx(m): 5:27am On Aug 31, 2018
zeezaa:
my sister's score
jamb score 304
post ume score 340
aggregate 322
yet was not given admission in UNN medicine and surgery cry

Did she apply with awaiting result? If not, did she re-upload her o-level result after the exam?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Salarys: 7:23am On Aug 31, 2018
Zico5:

Maybe u guys for south east are inflating figures. How is it possible for 322 aggregate not gain admission to study medicine in any higher institution in Nigeria. Even UI, OAU and Unilag that are far above with good reputation in medical line are not this difficult. Pls somebody should correct me if I'm wrong

Lol.. you’re very funny.what do they stand to gain by inflating figures?... UNN med is usually very competitive especially for candidates from Enugu. The pass rate this year was much, rumour has it that the cutoff mark this year is 327.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 7:44am On Aug 31, 2018
Salarys:

Lol.. you’re very funny.what do they stand to gain by inflating figures?... UNN med is usually very competitive especially for candidates from Enugu. The pass rate this year was much, rumour has it that the cutoff mark this year is 327.
many people don't understand UNN medicine admission.
That's why they think those figures are inflated.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 7:58am On Aug 31, 2018
A 74-year-old nursing home resident is brought to the emergency department after he became combative and was screaming that Lilliputians were after him. The emergency department staff is unable to obtain a history or physical examination because of his agitation. The triage nurse is able to obtain his vital signs; his temperature is 400C (104F) and blood pressure is 90/50 mm Hg. His family reports that he was fine earlier in the day except for a cough. He has no previous psychiatric history. By the time the psychiatrist arrives, the patient is somnolent and somewhat confused. He is not oriented to place or time. Which of the following is the most likely diagnosis? Give your reasons.

A) Brief psychotic disorder
B) Delirium
C) Delusional disorder
D) Dementia
E) Schizophrenia
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by venmotors(m): 8:53am On Aug 31, 2018
just like ISIS done with pre-med UNN
pre-clinical up next need ur prayers more than ever
i thank every body here 4 der advice
ISIS which 1 u done day jack

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by charleymed(m): 10:13am On Aug 31, 2018
MY ADVICE TO THE NEWEST PRECLINICAL STUDENTS.

Congratulations to you all. I'm using ISIs and venmotors as a point of contact.
In as much as I would like to commend you all for a job well done, passing the premed and moving on to the promise land, I also want to reiterate that your journey to becoming a doctor/dentist just got started. Premed is notorious for painting the wrong picture of what the medical school truly entails, and the earlier you begin to disinhibit your senses from the euphoria of your premed accomplishments, the better med school might be for you. It's no longer a myth that the correlation between premed and medical school proper is almost nonexistent or very thin so to say, that's why in places like the USA one can study music at premed and still doing very well in medical school. Indeed, Medical school is an entirely very different 'pot of soup' not similar to anything you've ever come across before. Your degrees in pharmacology, pharmacy, anatomy, biochemistry, physiology etc, often becomes redundant once you set your foot into medical school.
Things are just different here and even the military can't boast of such rigour and organisation. That's medical school for you.

Learn to be serious: One important mistake preclinical students often repeat is the culture of taking things for granted. This is often orchestrated by the fact that most of us started reading even before the commencement of lectures or even worse, when we already have a degree in one of the preclinical subjects, let say anatomy. This often makes us feel there's no need learning "flexion and extention" since we already knew the circle of Willis. Attitudes like this often leaves us less attentive in class especially when very simple concept are being discussed, because we feel they are too simple and doesn’t deserve our time. The problem here is not that anybody will ever ask you flexion and extension in exams, but that we are starting on a wrong footing, which is "inattentiveness" in the the class. This often results to more episodes of inattentiveness, until it becomes a habit. Don't even make the mistake of thinking that you get serious when more difficult concepts are discussed, often at times it results in a vicious cycle, where you continously see every concept being discussed as below your standard. In as much as I will like to advice you to start reading as early as your premed days, please whenever you're in class, always keep your knowledge aside and pay close attention to whatever concept the lecturer is discussing, that way you will get the opportunity of adding more to your knowledge and becoming better. Seek knowledge like a hungry lion, don't ever take anything for granted in medical school.

Your style of studying: I have to talk about this because it's very clear that most medical students especially preclinical students do not know how to and what to study at any instance. The problem here is not that we don't have a good reading culture and cannot not 'jack' till day break. No, the issues pertains to the fact that we don't study smart. Earlier on this page, I shared an experience of how I studied with last anatomy and clinched a distinction in anatomy. We all need to understand that MBBS is an undergraduate degree and as such we have to make studying more appealing and realistic, not cumbersome as though we are doing PhD. Sincerely, there's no sense in reading Keith Moore or guyton cover to cover, apart from the fact that you barely have time for that, it's very difficult to retain information in such books. Your aim should be, retaining as much information as possible not filling your room with big books. Pick a single textbook that's concise and straight to the point, then kill yourself on it. Repetition is the key to knowledge, so why not choose reading ganong for a third time, when your peers are still yet to finish Guyton for the first time. Who do you think will be better of? Also, another important blunder I have seen most medical student commit, is reading too many textbooks at a time. My brother you will end up confusing yourself and burning up your energy for nothing. Sincerely, you don't need so many resources, just master one and make others your reference resources. There are other ways we learn in medical school, lectures, practical sessions, tutorials, and even online. Explore this alternatives, and don't kill your self on tons of BIG BOOKS. You should know that the best student is not he who has tons of textbooks, but he who has tons of information.

Setting goals: We should all learn this. I'm happy whenever I meet young preclinical students talking about how they want to get distinction in all the subjects. This is a very good way to kick off your medical school. Set goals, even high falutin ones. One important thing about setting goals as this is that, it keeps you on your heels always, you might not be able to acheive most of these goals at the end of the day, let say getting a distinction, but for sure you will never struggle in medical school. There's a very thin line between passing and failing in med school, unfortunately everyone is predisposed to this two spectrums. But passing becomes normal and natural, when you set goals far higher than just to pass. You will discover that when people are running helter scelter during an MBBS exams, you will calm because the worse that can happen to you is to pass.
Another aspect that you shouldn't ignore is working on these goals and bringing them into fruition. It takes great efforts, and at no time should ever deviate. Fight to the end, and you will reap the fruit of your labour.

Handling success and failure: Both success and failures could be a double edge sword, and you should be careful which edge you've choose at a particular time. Handling success in medical school is very paramount. If you mismanage your raining days, be rest assured you will plunge yourself into dry season prematurely. Whenever you do very well in a test or an exams, please learn to be humble, remain focused and fix your eyes on the price. Whatever success you acheive should act as a catalyst for more success, more like a positive feedback. But I have discovered that people often allow there success get into their heads, and you shouldn't be found in such category. Whenever you do well a test, you become popular and the next is that everyone wants to be your friend, you begin to organise tutorials, moving from pillar to post, always on the go. I'm not saying you shouldn't share your knowledge with your peers, off course you should, but don't develop short term memory as to how you arrived at your point of success. Don't abandon your books because you felt you've arrived. It will surely backfire. Handle success with care in other to acheive more sucees. Failure on the other hand should be handled with upmost care. Never dwell on your failure. When you don't get it right, forge ahead with good spirit and determination to get it right the next time. Never look back at your failure and don't ever get depressed because you failed.

Dissociate yourself from toxic people: There are this category of people that always see the negative side of everything. It will do you alot of good never to found yourself mixing up with such people. They will infect you and soon you will become like them. Discover people that see the two sides of everything, and make them your friends, if you must have any. Be with people that inspire you always, people that share similar dreams with you, that way you will enjoy medical school. More importantly, never allow people's negative opinions get to you, especially when you are doing well. People often mock excellence and excellent individuals, and you should get used to the fact that their opinions has no bearing on your life. Shame them with more success and excellence, that's their remedy.

Get involved: Finally, don't be carried away by the rigour of medical school. Get involved in other things. Broaden your knowledge.
Try sports, politics, history, art, movies. Be refreshed all the time. Because the best doctor is one who knows little about everything.

I wish you all the best.

37 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Donpre(m): 12:12pm On Aug 31, 2018
Thanks for the words of wisdom dr charlymed
anybody who has that link to textbooks oga lomaxx posted, please post it.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Feanah(f): 1:32pm On Aug 31, 2018
Good morning house.. Pls can any one help me with some OSCE checklists for O&G,Med,Surg,Paed & Commed ? Thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (544) (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) (550) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.