Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,150 members, 7,953,549 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:47 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (565) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1924565 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) (568) ... (912) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Kimzylove(f): 7:19pm On Nov 02, 2018
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by kidneystones(m): 8:05pm On Nov 03, 2018
Good evening my profound doctors .. Yes .. This is the issue , how can I perfectly treat insomnia , prescribe a drug if necessary ! Urgent help needed ?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dvd4: 10:18pm On Nov 03, 2018
kidneystones:
Good evening my profound doctors .. Yes .. This is the issue , how can I perfectly treat insomnia , prescribe a drug if necessary ! Urgent help needed ?
It depends on the type of insomnia. Some do not require chemotherapy but physiotherapy or simple abstinence of some certain triggers

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by AnonymousLee: 10:51pm On Nov 03, 2018
Dvd4:
It depends on the type of insomnia. Some do not require chemotherapy but physiotherapy or simple abstinence of some certain triggers
chemotheraphy for insomnia lack of sleep abi the definition of insomnia don change Anyways I'm not a doctor so maybe its a medical term.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 11:35pm On Nov 03, 2018
I got admitted to study Medicine at Lasu recently but I'm still at a loss as to how the school academic calendar and transiting works

Any COM Lasuite here, please

Shed some light
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by kidneystones(m): 7:06am On Nov 04, 2018
Dvd4:
Pls list and explain the type , so that I can choose .. N you will be able to provide a simple solution to it . thanks sir .
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Oogway: 9:07pm On Nov 04, 2018
AnonymousLee:
chemotheraphy for insomnia lack of sleep abi the definition of insomnia don change Anyways I'm not a doctor so maybe its a medical term.

chemotherapy isnt used to threat insomnia.
i dont do online prescribing but for academic purpose 3 classes of drugs can be use
benzodiazepines
barbiturates
and zee drugs.

also all 1st generation antihistamines are sedatives since histamine is needed for alertness and it inhibits that eg diphenhydramine (one of the drugs found in coughlin thats why the syrup makes u dizzy) some antiepilepsy drugs are sedatives too.
most sedatives are prescription drugs since they cause dependence so u need an M.D prescription to get 1

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dvd4: 10:05pm On Nov 04, 2018
AnonymousLee:
You don't know a particular kind of it is treated with drugs?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dvd4: 10:09pm On Nov 04, 2018
Oogway:

chemotherapy isnt used to threat insomnia.
i dont do online prescribing but for academic purpose 3 classes of drugs can be use
benzodiazepines
barbiturates
and zee drugs.

also all 1st generation antihistamines are sedatives since histamine is needed for alertness and it inhibits that eg diphenhydramine (one of the drugs found in coughlin thats why the syrup makes u dizzy) some antiepilepsy drugs are sedatives too.
most sedatives are prescription drugs since they cause dependence so u need an M.D prescription to get 1
Are drugs not chemicals?
Is it not a chemotherapic procedure?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by eazeefix: 4:44pm On Nov 05, 2018
Please let's not derail this wonderful thread, what I expected is that you would ask the person to see a doctor who will do a thorough investigation and prescribe the best treatment for the person. Avoid discussions on treatments here. I'm a parent of a newly admitted dental surgery student. Started the thread from scratch please don't encourage treatments here. You could discuss case studies and all.

9 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Oogway: 9:12pm On Nov 05, 2018
Dvd4:
Are drugs not chemicals?
Is it not a chemotherapic procedure?

the best way to learn kiddo is to accept what you dont know only then will u get wiser.
in medical practice "chemotherapy" refers to the use of mostly antimetabolites or cytotoxic drugs in the treatment of cancer or the use of antimicrobial agents. none of this is used to treat insomnia which is a sleeping disorder, there's no clearcut criteria for diagnosing insomnia so its not clearly a medical pathology... i could go on and on but ull get to understand these things better as u progress in your medical education

8 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Trust2001(m): 6:22am On Nov 07, 2018
cisca2001:

I just gained admission to study medicine at aau.. but what's the essence of changing if it's because of the academic calendar? You are already in two hundred level, if you change now, you ll be going back to hundred level when you ought to be in 300 level, you ll be spending more time instead.. but if you still choose to change, try delsu, their academic calendar is really fast. Remember you might not get medicine again. A bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush
Hey happy birthday
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 10:50pm On Nov 07, 2018
Hmmmmm... Removes cobweb from mah room... Does anyone still remember me here sef? Anyways, AAU peepz, you can always Holla 08183926896...

For dha aspirants, dha struggle for medicine isn't an easy one. Just keep pushing, we pushed and we're in dha struggle already. God has gat our back.

@Abcruz (Course mate /colleague), nice work you're doing here..

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by venmotors(m): 1:18pm On Nov 08, 2018
STORM2:
Hey people..... I know I've not been on this forum for years so most of you don't know me. Good evening all....
I just graduated.
I am finally a medical doctor....i'm so happy. Wanted to thank this forum for giving me the motivation I needed.
To the lions and lionesses here.... Stay strong. UNN is not easy.
All I've ever wanted to do with my life is medicine... It's so surreal having finally made it. God dey. Just wanted to share the good news... Lol... Thanks.
wow
me here am just starting the journey
#200l
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ftosino(m): 1:36pm On Nov 08, 2018
♨♨♨♨♨♨♨♨♨♨♨♨♨♨♨♨

THi *S NA REAL STEW*

MetroBee Spelling Competition,

It's a National Campus Spelling competition .
It's been on for over 3yrs now,
This year's edition cash prize was 350 thousand Naira, the winner is a 400lv Medicine Student from Unilag,

Next year edition registration has started and the star prize is *1MILLION NAIRA*

The registration fee is 1k

To register click on https://metrobee.com.ng/ref/MetroT/
or

Contact me for more info

https:///Hbs0n73LCFoEFSTTUO0Jt0
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by kidneystones(m): 2:32pm On Nov 08, 2018
Yes !! Doctors am be back o "" straight to the point .. Is there any difference between psychological ailment and mental illness , because the two are used for one and another .. Pls explain broadly and vividly in other to convince me well .. Thanks .
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ayobami7(m): 8:44am On Nov 09, 2018
this is my comment
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Abcruz(m): 11:01am On Nov 09, 2018
Jason555:
Hmmmmm... Removes cobweb from mah room... Does anyone still remember me here sef? Anyways, AAU peepz, you can always Holla 08183926896...

For dha aspirants, dha struggle for medicine isn't an easy one. Just keep pushing, we pushed and we're in dha struggle already. God has gat our back.

@Abcruz (Course mate /colleague), nice work you're doing here..
Welcome back chief!

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by kidneystones(m): 1:23pm On Nov 09, 2018
kidneystones:
Yes !! Doctors am be back o "" straight to the point .. Is there any difference between psychological ailment and mental illness , because the two are used for one and another .. Pls explain broadly and vividly in other to convince me well .. Thanks .

Doctors help na ..
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dvd4: 9:18pm On Nov 09, 2018
Oogway:

the best way to learn kiddo is to accept what you dont know only then will u get wiser.
in medical practice "chemotherapy" refers to the use of mostly antimetabolites or cytotoxic drugs in the treatment of cancer or the use of antimicrobial agents. none of this is used to treat insomnia which is a sleeping disorder, there's no clearcut criteria for diagnosing insomnia so its not clearly a medical pathology... i could go on and on but ull get to understand these things better as u progress in your medical education
LOL!

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by kidneystones(m): 10:18pm On Nov 09, 2018
Dvd4:
LOL!

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Drguzzykola(m): 12:37am On Nov 10, 2018
kidneystones:

, lol.
bro many of us here are student , and kinda careful to give answers to patient, we only interact clinical cases for academic sake.
U earlier complained of insomnia, I ll advice u visit a Dr for assessment /interaction

All dsame, from my little knowledge as a student

Mental Illness refers to alterations in taught &
emotions that create undue functional state for (patient)

Psychological now..
more like having the ability to think, express and behave normal with respect to d state of Mental health.

I just hope this won't confuse u d more.
visit a Doc for assessment.

beside
this ur moniker no b here o..lol.
all dsame.
shallom

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Sarang(f): 10:13am On Nov 10, 2018
STORM2:
Hey people..... I know I've not been on this forum for years so most of you don't know me. Good evening all....
I just graduated.
I am finally a medical doctor....i'm so happy. Wanted to thank this forum for giving me the motivation I needed.
All I've ever wanted to do with my life is medicine... It's so surreal having finally made it. God dey. Just wanted to share the good news... Lol... Thanks.

Congrats!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Abcruz(m): 10:26am On Nov 10, 2018
STORM2:
I just graduated.

Congrats dockay wink

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by kidneystones(m): 11:28am On Nov 10, 2018
Drguzzykola:

, lol.
bro many of us here are student , and kinda careful to give answers to patient, we only interact clinical cases for academic sake.
U earlier complained of insomnia, I ll advice u visit a Dr for assessment /interaction

All dsame, from my little knowledge as a student

Mental Illness refers to alterations in taught &
emotions that create undue functional state for (patient)

Psychological now..
more like having the ability to think, express and behave normal with respect to d state of Mental health.

I just hope this won't confuse u d more.
visit a Doc for assessment.

beside
this ur moniker no b here o..lol.
all dsame.
shallom

Lols . my moniker .. Funny man .
Am just too curious ni jor.
Thanks anyway .( am relieved)

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Vcojuro: 12:24pm On Nov 11, 2018
https://www.nairaland.com/1049407/medical-students-aspirants-thread/561

For those who didn't read my initial write up, posted above is a link to the write up.
This is the 2nd part in the series of write up.

Anatomy is the bulkiest of the preclinical courses and it involves the study of humans, cells and embryos. It is the course most medical students, tend to read all the time. it requires that you read it more often because it’s both voluminous and easy to forget.
For the anatomy I preferred the gross aspect of it because the rest of it, sort of look abstract to me. I also didn’t like nor dislike neuroanatomy though I was privileged to be taught this aspect of anatamy by prof T.M Shokunbi and other lecturerers (He together with prof malomo and others are Nigeria’s leading authority in the field of neurological surgery as neurosurgery is commonly referred to. T.M Shokunbi was the head of our anatomy department and malomo was the dean of clinical sciences. They hold joint appointments both as professors of anatomy and neurosurgery.)
I remember in the introductory lecture to neuro anatomy course, he asked if anyone wanted to pursue a career in the neurosciences, I think almost everyone raised their hands in affirmation. That he is very charismatic and exeptional is an understatement, he made everyone develop interest in the subject and neurosurgery as a whole. There were other lecturers who made our sojourn through the department worth the time and stress.
PHYSIOLOGY is considered to be the easiest of all basic medical sciences in preclinical school. What made it simple was not that it is less voluminous, as a matter of fact, physiology is as bulky as anatomy but it contains terms that can be easily remembered and its principle can be easily applied to every day health issues. For me surgery is basically a continuation of anatomy while medicine is a continuation of physiology. The testing pattern of physiology in Ibadan med school entails picking either a TRUE or FALSE answer for a single question. A wrong guess attracts a minus of 0.5mark while a correct answer attracts a plus of 1 mark. This rule is applicable for all mcq examinations in clinicals and preclinical schools (in clinicals it is higher than that, for example in hematology for instance any incorrect answer attracts a negative mark of). The first series of tests in physiology is written as MCQs(multiple choice questions) while the latter parts is written as essays .
BIOCHEMISTRY has been regarded for years by medical students as their achilles heel. For me I would say that it’s the least applicable of all the courses in basic medical sciences in clinical practice. It is very abstract and requires lot of cramming for you to be able to pass the course. Though Some find it interesting but a lot find it very difficult.
MEDICAL BIOSTATISTICS is another course that’s worthy of mention in the preclinical school, it involves the use of statistics and mathematics in solving everyday medical and health issues like collecting data for epidemics in a state or region.
A lot of emphasis is placed on practicals, clinical correlates and applications in the preclinical school. Each student is mandated to attend all practical sessions and be able to apply all principles to everyday practice.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Berly(m): 7:35am On Nov 12, 2018
Vcojuro:
https://www.nairaland.com/1049407/medical-students-aspirants-thread/561

For those who didn't read my initial write up, posted above is a link to the write up.
This is the 2nd part in the series of write up.

Anatomy is the bulkiest of the preclinical courses and it involves the study of humans, cells and embryos. It is the course most medical students, tend to read all the time. it requires that you read it more often because it’s both voluminous and easy to forget.
For the anatomy I preferred the gross aspect of it because the rest of it, sort of look abstract to me. I also didn’t like nor dislike neuroanatomy though I was privileged to be taught this aspect of anatamy by prof T.M Shokunbi and other lecturerers (He together with prof malomo and others are Nigeria’s leading authority in the field of neurological surgery as neurosurgery is commonly referred to. T.M Shokunbi was the head of our anatomy department and malomo was the dean of clinical sciences. They hold joint appointments both as professors of anatomy and neurosurgery.)
I remember in the introductory lecture to neuro anatomy course, he asked if anyone wanted to pursue a career in the neurosciences, I think almost everyone raised their hands in affirmation. That he is very charismatic and exeptional is an understatement, he made everyone develop interest in the subject and neurosurgery as a whole. There were other lecturers who made our sojourn through the department worth the time and stress.
PHYSIOLOGY is considered to be the easiest of all basic medical sciences in preclinical school. What made it simple was not that it is less voluminous, as a matter of fact, physiology is as bulky as anatomy but it contains terms that can be easily remembered and its principle can be easily applied to every day health issues. For me surgery is basically a continuation of anatomy while medicine is a continuation of physiology. The testing pattern of physiology in Ibadan med school entails picking either a TRUE or FALSE answer for a single question. A wrong guess attracts a minus of 0.5mark while a correct answer attracts a plus of 1 mark. This rule is applicable for all mcq examinations in clinicals and preclinical schools (in clinicals it is higher than that, for example in hematology for instance any incorrect answer attracts a negative mark of). The first series of tests in physiology is written as MCQs(multiple choice questions) while the latter parts is written as essays .
BIOCHEMISTRY has been regarded for years by medical students as their achilles heel. For me I would say that it’s the least applicable of all the courses in basic medical sciences in clinical practice. It is very abstract and requires lot of cramming for you to be able to pass the course. Though Some find it interesting but a lot find it very difficult.
MEDICAL BIOSTATISTICS is another course that’s worthy of mention in the preclinical school, it involves the use of statistics and mathematics in solving everyday medical and health issues like collecting data for epidemics in a state or region.
A lot of emphasis is placed on practicals, clinical correlates and applications in the preclinical school. Each student is mandated to attend all practical sessions and be able to apply all principles to everyday practice.
Thanks a lot sir
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ISISs(m): 10:04pm On Nov 12, 2018
It's been long great Doctors in the thread.
What's happening? who remember me ahbeg.
That Dentist in UNN.
200level BDS Nigeria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by kidneystones(m): 11:42pm On Nov 12, 2018
Good day , my wonderful n intelligent doctors, yeah m back ( r u happy ) .. Hmmm .. I would have post the issue online here publicly so that others can learn buh it is a private matter that needs urgent attention , I really liked the reply based on my last post anyway it was very invaluable ..well it is nothing , not a big deal , it is just what ignorant men like me face in their early youth age (r u guessing ).. To be straight forward and precise , I need a very good doctor to post his WhatsApp details .. So that we can chat privately n am sure u would be able to find a lasting solution to it , you will even find it interesting .. Pls m short of words .. Ur WhatsApp contact pls .. M waiting .. Multiple contacts is accepted ..thanks .. I remain kidneystones ( also a medical aspirant). One love #shallom.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DrAuthentic: 4:15am On Nov 13, 2018
ISISs:
It's been long great Doctors in the thread. What's happening? who remember me ahbeg. That Dentist in UNN. 200level BDS Nigeria.
Boss. Chat me up on WhatsApp asap. 07030351093

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Donpre(m): 1:31pm On Nov 14, 2018
ISISs:
It's been long great Doctors in the thread.
What's happening? who remember me ahbeg.
That Dentist in UNN.
200level BDS Nigeria.
So after you have finished reading, you want to come and distract us that are yet to start abi? undecided

ISISs better face front angry angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (562) (563) (564) (565) (566) (567) (568) ... (912) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.