Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (652) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1831933 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (649) (650) (651) (652) (653) (654) (655) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 1:02pm On Dec 01, 2019
please can you guys recommend a chemistry textbook I can finish in time. has anybody here read college biology
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Jerrypolo(m): 1:34pm On Dec 01, 2019
OloladeWrites:
Udusok do not conduct post utme but don't be surprised if they start from next year. Right now what you heard about them not conducting is very true.
Udus admission modality are numerous and not too straight. Many things are considered by the sch admission officers before offering one a slot. (Utme score, state of origin, gender, local govt, subject combo, olevels, being matric student etc)
To non catchment states just 1 or 2 or 3 students are admitted and they have to be the Highest from that state. So just aim to be the highest from your state that applied there. But 320+ should cut you off every competition. The highest I know who applied Udus this year had 320 and he's been admitted since before people like me got considered self.
For some catchment and ELD states like Kwara, Niger, Kogi etc even 300 in utme doesn't guarantee admission into Udus.
From MDCN, Udus enjoy a total of 100 as quota but the UG1 that just finished are 170+ (fresh and repeater) and those that just got admitted / considered seems to be moving towards that number.
Also NUC just approved Dentistry for Udus, some of my fellow aspirants with very high scores got moved to BDS. Sokoto is quite safe and Udus MBBS is also very smooth. Uduth also have a standing reputation.
All in all, Grace, Good Preparation and Choice matters.
You're blessed bro. Thanks a billion
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Jerrypolo(m): 1:37pm On Dec 01, 2019
ARCHEMEDESME:
please can you guys recommend a chemistry textbook I can finish in time.
has anybody here read college biology
I recommend Essential chemistry for you. It's very nice and easy to comprehend. I use the Essential series for all my subjects. Bio, chem and physics. Just that I really do not use it for physics that much because I prefer New school physics to it. I read Essential and New school. A combination of both for all subjects will do just great. To me tho
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Joshua69562: 8:02pm On Dec 01, 2019
Hello guys, I want you to tell me about the course Physiotherapy(medical rehabilitation).
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Tresellea: 10:59pm On Dec 01, 2019
Hi guys! Can anyone tell me what was BUK's cutoff mark for dental surgery this year?

Jamb and overall.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Benjax(m): 11:27pm On Dec 01, 2019
OloladeWrites:
page 646 has a copy of the page to textbooks links. I really can't find where recommendations about books were made once. At different times people only dropped their own review and opinion about a particular book.
Ensure you talk to seniors in your school, they should be able to give you some good advices.

Thanks, boss.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Success410: 10:21am On Dec 02, 2019
OloladeWrites:
hmm. Congrats on being a 1st degree grad! How's NYSC?
If at 26 you believe age is no longer your friend then I don't know what people at 30, 35+ studying MBBS should say. I understand how you may be feeling. Job insecurities, family expectations, peer pressure etc. If MBBS is all you wanted please go for it. Whether you like it or not you'll clock 35 later in life, you can as well be a Doctor too.
If you still want to go for MBBS, please try both DE with UTME. It will double your chances of getting in without you having to waste the year. Also remember to choose different schools. I don't like suggesting schools so do your homework on schools of your choice. You can later suggest it to the house and students of such schools will tell you loopholes to avoid and other necessary information.
Thanks 4 ur wonderful comment. The school of my mind for now is uniAbuja
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 4:33pm On Dec 02, 2019
I just got lamlad chemistry and it's kinda big.
since I have basic Knowledge of chemistry is it advisable to use lamlad and forget New school
I would like to maximize my time for the upcoming exam
please I need your suggestions
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ximenez(m): 5:46pm On Dec 02, 2019
ARCHEMEDESME:
since I have basic Knowledge of chemistry is it advisable to use lamlad and forget New school
Lamlad is very simple an interesting. You don't even need to add any textbook to it if you are a lazy student like me. Read each chapters intensively and solve the questions after each chapter. Do that repeatedly for all the chapters. One good thing about the Lamlad series is that they also give explanations to the answers to the questions. At the end of this, also do the 3 ume model Examination questions at the end of the book. Do this and practice with the normal ume past questions.

The book just looks big like that but it's very concise, don't neglect the industrial and experimental chemistry at the back pages too.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Acecube(m): 5:56pm On Dec 02, 2019
ARCHEMEDESME:
Lamlad isn't big at all, have you read ababio ?... That book (Lamlad) is like a cheat code for utme chemistry... Very minimal superfluous information, after reading each chapter solve the questions that follow (I actually wrote most of the questions and their answers in a book for quick review)... Your initial reading might seem concentrated but with time you will be on the same frequency with it. Wish you success boss
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:54pm On Dec 02, 2019
Ximenez:
Lamlad is very simple an interesting. You don't even need to add any textbook to it if you are a lazy student like me. Read each chapters intensively and solve the questions after each chapter. Do that repeatedly for all the chapters. One good thing about the Lamlad series is that they also give explanations to the answers to the questions. At the end of this, also do the 3 ume model Examination questions at the end of the book. Do this and practice with the normal ume past questions.

The book just looks big like that but it's very concise, don't neglect the industrial and experimental chemistry at the back pages too.
what about lamlad biology
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:55pm On Dec 02, 2019
Acecube:
Lamlad isn't big at all, have you read ababio ?... That book (Lamlad) is like a cheat code for utme chemistry... Very minimal superfluous information, after reading each chapter solve the questions that follow (I actually wrote most of the questions and their answers in a book for quick review)... Your initial reading might seem concentrated but with time you will be on the same frequency with it. Wish you success boss

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Ximenez(m): 7:06pm On Dec 02, 2019
ARCHEMEDESME:

Also good.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:44pm On Dec 02, 2019
Ximenez:
Also good.
can I read it alone
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Acecube(m): 9:26pm On Dec 02, 2019
ARCHEMEDESME:

haven't seen it... Heard it's more or less a summary. If you have the resources you can get the bio and phy too... But don't joke with the Chem
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 10:02pm On Dec 02, 2019
Acecube:
haven't seen it... Heard it's more or less a summary. If you have the resources you can get the bio and phy too... But don't joke with the Chem
can I choose it over modern biology because I don't have a lot of time
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Elizab: 2:07am On Dec 03, 2019
If a child who was diagnosed of having meningitis,all meningeal symptoms resolved still on admission suddenly develops nose bleed about 250mls.can someone explain to me what might have happened.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Sultan5(m): 2:47am On Dec 03, 2019
ARCHEMEDESME:

Biology is tricky, I won't advice using only lamlad for it. Maybe add mordern biology to it. But you can definitely use only lamlad for chemistry.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Acecube(m): 5:17am On Dec 03, 2019
ARCHEMEDESME:

Modern is like the gold standard they do extract questions from there verbatim... There's still time, explicit biology is still nice but either it or lamlad should be added to modern
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Yakira(f): 11:37am On Dec 03, 2019
Alexaonfleek:
Explicit biology and chemistry is very good to combine with the textbooks you have up there
I personally didn't use lamlad,I didn't like the textbook cuz it's not readable,it doesn't have the complete syllabus for jamb.Its only good if you want it for questions to solve.

Thanks for responding, I'll try to lay my hands on one of them
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Xandre: 1:17pm On Dec 03, 2019
ARCHEMEDESME:

can I read it alone
Get a major text for Biology.
New School and the lamlad would do
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 5:38pm On Dec 03, 2019
horpeyemmi66:

Yes, you can get Medicine after graduating from Dental Surgery.

You will be required to do 500 and 600 levels of medicine which will be around 22 months ( approximately 2 years) and you will become a holder of MBBS/MBChB but please know that your BDS/BChD degree will be withdrawn from you forever which means you can no longer specialize in dentistry or practice it or be referred to as a dentist.

(Excerpt gotten from: https://www.nairaland.com/2447071/dentistry-dental-surgery-career-nigeria)
It's theoretical, but I've never seen any dentist who goes back to study medicine from 500 level. So, I'm not sure it's possible. But in foreign countries, it's possible. Besides, your BDS certificate will not be withdrawn from you suppose it's feasible to start from 500 level medicine. It's a great honour. Why not complete dentistry and go straight to specialize in oral and maxillofacial surgery or oral pathology? Medicine and Dentistry are brothers. Besides, by the time you'll graduate, you'll not think of going back to medicine again.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by horpeyemmi66(m): 6:34pm On Dec 03, 2019
Mandeyy:
It's theoretical, but I've never seen any dentist who goes back to study medicine from 500 level. So, I'm not sure it's possible. But in foreign countries, it's possible. Besides, your BDS certificate will not be withdrawn from you suppose it's feasible to start from 500 level medicine. It's a great honour. Why not complete dentistry and go straight to specialize in oral and maxillofacial surgery or oral pathology? Medicine and Dentistry are brothers. Besides, by the time you'll graduate, you'll not think of going back to medicine again.
Thanks for your timely addition Boss Mandeyy. However, what logical reason do you feel having dual degrees justify?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 6:44pm On Dec 03, 2019
Jerrypolo:
You're blessed bro. Thanks a billion
You're welcome
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 03, 2019
Whiz01:
Thanks man. I actually filled in for DELSU this year, but the DE admission process wasn't transparent at all.
opps. And let me assume, Delsu admission process is closed right?
Try uniport or uniben and don't forget to use utme as supplement

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 03, 2019
Success410:
Thanks 4 ur wonderful comment. The school of my mind for now is uniAbuja
good. Uniabuja is also a nice choice of institution. TONYE001 is more informed about the sch than anything I'll tell you.
I learnt they are also doing screening of recent - I don't know maybe it applies to DE too.
By the way don't forget to supplement it with utme. (Since you're taking Uniabuja for DE, try any other federal or state uni that around north central or north generally.)

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 03, 2019
Xandre:
Get a major text for Biology. New School and the lamlad would do
what about physics ? will lamlad do cause I know the basics
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:39pm On Dec 03, 2019
Acecube:
Modern is like the gold standard they do extract questions from there verbatim... There's still time, explicit biology is still nice but either it or lamlad should be added to modern
what about physics ?
will lamlad do cause I know the basics
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nobody: 7:40pm On Dec 03, 2019
Sultan5:

Biology is tricky, I won't advice using only lamlad for it. Maybe add mordern biology to it. But you can definitely use only lamlad for chemistry.
what about physics ?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by MrCommy: 8:09pm On Dec 03, 2019
ARCHEMEDESME:

what about physics ?

I will advice you to get a good physics text and combine with lamlad.

Lamlad physics and biology unlike chemistry are just sub-text. Though they are very good at past questions especially their detailed explanation of answers to questions.

Here is my combo, might be helpful

PHYSICS

New School, P.N OKEKE and Lamlad

BIOLOGY

Modern Biology, Essential and Lamlad

CHEMISTRY

New School, Essential and Lamlad

ENGLISH

Invisible teacher

But if you can get new school physics, modern Biology, new school Chemistry and the Lamlad or explicit series it's okay.

Success!!!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by horpeyemmi66(m): 8:20pm On Dec 03, 2019
ARCHEMEDESME:

what about physics ?
For Physics,

1. New School Physics
2. The Science Physics
3. Today's Physics
4. Calculations in Physics by Charles Asemota and;
5. Maybe Lamlad Physics

Of the Lamlads, get Lamlad chemistry only, coupled with New School Chemistry, you're good to go.

The Lamlad Biology is nothing to write home about as far as I am concerned and the Lamlad Physics is somewhat compressed with passable, hurrid explanations and skipped steps in workings(they expect you to know the stuff already).

In essence, if you do not know your Physics well do not pick up Lamlad Physics.

For Biology,
1. Modern Biology
2. New Biology for West African Secondary Schools (I don't know if they still make the book anymore, mine is tattared)
3. Explicit Biology, I never used the book but boy have I heard a lot about the book.
4. Your UTME past papers
5. G.Udodo Umeh(that's the author of the book, I can't remember the title of the book), I used it once. The book is quite bulky and it gives you both the info you need and the ones that are irrelevant, at least to the UTME. It can be a time consuming book to read. I mentioned this book in case you came across it.

I wish you the very best in the forthcoming exam Doc.

Regards.

PS: Learn to follow your heart...fufillment is one of the perks of being alive. Endeavor to earn it.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Acecube(m): 11:26pm On Dec 03, 2019
ARCHEMEDESME:

what about physics ?
at all... The physics should be added to a major book.

Modified:
Just follow horpeyemmi66 he has said everything. Endeavour to get lamlad chemistry and explicit biology, you won't regret it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (649) (650) (651) (652) (653) (654) (655) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.