Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,847 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (857) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1829769 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (854) (855) (856) (857) (858) (859) (860) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Vegan99: 12:22pm On Sep 17, 2022
Gemineye:
Bro you don go far leave us wey dey Federal uni behind oo grin

You and Taiwo
Boss, how is unical's admission process into the medicine program?

Infact, just talk about the school in it's entirety.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Vegan99: 1:03pm On Sep 17, 2022
EINSTEINUCHE:
Wow! I still remember when you gained admission fa..are u a unilorite.bcoz i know dem too well to always say FA.
lol, no be only ilorin people dey talk am na.

I'm from kano state anyway.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by David2O(m): 1:48pm On Sep 17, 2022
HumanCalc:
Now I remember
Zeeknow3245
Big man grin grin grin
lol grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by EINSTEINUCHE(m): 3:02pm On Sep 17, 2022
[quote author=Vegan99 post=116750013]
Are u medical student or aspirant?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Dvd4: 3:37pm On Sep 17, 2022
SF123:
All right brother, although i have sent you a mail more than twice, boss below is my contact: 08148488351 please just flash me, i will do all the calling.
Seen
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 5:43pm On Sep 17, 2022
SF123:
All right chief, what will their departmental/merit cut off mark look like?
Their cut off marks are usually moderate. With a score of 250 and good o'level you are in.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Munonyealvan: 6:55pm On Sep 17, 2022
HumanCalc:
Alvan, how far na?

How have you been? Any update?
I'm good, no update
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by barremmanuel01: 8:08pm On Sep 17, 2022
Thank you sir for the reply, I appreciate.
Please I want to know if I stand a chance with 266 without post utme, I'm from Enugu state
HumanCalc:
They haven't written post utme in a long time now. It's highly unlikely.

Don't worry about it.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by HumanCalc: 9:34pm On Sep 17, 2022
barremmanuel01:
Please I want to know if I stand a chance with 266 without post utme, I'm from Enugu state
I can't really say oo.

If you are from Ebonyi, I would have said it's good.

Enugu is part of catchment states so your chances are pretty good though.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by dunsin125: 10:01pm On Sep 17, 2022
barremmanuel01:
Honestly speaking, your chances are low bro. There are factors to consider including the high number of applicants because of this ASUU strike. Even in our time when the applicants weren't much, the benchmark for merit was 280.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Rajisco: 11:42pm On Sep 17, 2022
Hi guys I stumbled on this thread. I'm also applying for mbbs but lasu. I don't know if anyone here has experience with lasu. I scored 298 in jamb however after calculating my aggregate I realized I ganered 76.25 . What do you think guys. Do you think I'm safe. I'm actually in BUK studying nursing but I want to change course. I still chose BUK but now with this strike I'm considering changing to Lasu due to lack of strike.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by lenghtinny(m): 6:43am On Sep 18, 2022
No be lie…..
My school no even let me use eighteen months for preclinical angry
MB don reach already sad

Munonyealvan:

Nice one unn.The preclinical and clinical arm of some state universities are all running like tiger though.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by DarkPheonix: 6:49am On Sep 18, 2022
Rajisco:
Hi guys I stumbled on this thread. I'm also applying for mbbs but lasu. I don't know if anyone here has experience with lasu. I scored 298 in jamb however after calculating my aggregate I realized I ganered 76.25 . What do you think guys. Do you think I'm safe. I'm actually in BUK studying nursing but I want to change course. I still chose BUK but now with this strike I'm considering changing to Lasu due to lack of strike.
76.26 won't get you medicine in lasu or unless you indigene of lagos state and if 76.26% is still unlikely to get you medicine.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Eben331: 8:35am On Sep 18, 2022
HumanCalc:
I should be more active on this thread. Really learned a lot from this thread and should contribute anyway I can.

Make I reintroduce myself. My name is Taiwo a 200l MBBS student of EBSU entering 300l by Nov/Dec.

I notice EBSU is coming up a lot in questions here.

Ask me any questions regarding EBSU and I will be glad to answer.

You are moving to 300l by Nov/Dec cry
ASUU strike has caused a lot for those of us in Federal Universities undecided
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by HumanCalc: 9:14am On Sep 18, 2022
Eben331:

You are moving to 300l by Nov/Dec cry
ASUU strike has caused a lot for those of us in Federal Universities undecided
Oga dem go still delay us later oo cry

Main delay is coming before we write our 300l exam and in clinicals

Ebsu is 8 sha but with the way things are going, we might be spending 7.

But all in all, I am happy we are not at home, as it would have just added to the already long years that someone will spend in the school
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by EINSTEINUCHE(m): 11:32am On Sep 18, 2022
Any unilorin MBBS aspirants on this thread?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 1:09pm On Sep 18, 2022
Clinton39:

Their cut off marks are usually moderate. With a score of 250 and good o'level you are in.
Noted boss, i really appreciate you.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 1:10pm On Sep 18, 2022
Clinton39:

Noted boss, i appreciate you
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Eben331: 2:09pm On Sep 18, 2022
HumanCalc:
Oga dem go still delay us later oo cry

Main delay is coming before we write our 300l exam and in clinicals

Ebsu is 8 sha but with the way things are going, we might be spending 7.

But all in all, I am happy we are not at home, as it would have just added to the already long years that someone will spend in the school

What delay are you talking about?

You will finish before some of us in Federal Universities.
It is a long year ahead sad
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 4:57pm On Sep 18, 2022
Greetings the amiable citizens of this great forum: my question goes like this.

1)Why is medicine and surgery termed as the hardest course to study in the university.
2)At what point does studying medicine and surgery becomes complex and complicated
3)Apart from 100level where physics, chemistry and biology correlated with other advanced and G.S courses are done, is it still applicable in medical school till convocation/induction/graduation
4)How broad is studying medicine and surgery
5)Is mathematics/calculation mostly involved in medical school or studying medicine and surgery i.e what should it be like
6)Why is it that every science student wants or have keen interest in studying medicine and surgery?...and what makes it unique; even from other courses available......( a lots of question is still on the way) ALL OPINIONS IS APPRECIATED

4 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Alexaonfleek: 11:36pm On Sep 18, 2022
SF123:
Greetings the amiable citizens of this great forum: my question goes like this.

1)Why is medicine and surgery termed as the hardest course to study in the university.
2)At what point does studying medicine and surgery becomes complex and complicated
3)Apart from 100level where physics, chemistry and biology correlated with other advanced and G.S courses are done, is it still applicable in medical school till convocation/induction/graduation
4)How broad is studying medicine and surgery
5)Is mathematics/calculation mostly involved in medical school or studying medicine and surgery i.e what should it be like
6)Why is it that every science student wants or have keen interest in studying medicine and surgery?...and what makes it unique; even from other courses available......( a lots of question is still on the way)
Okay...so this is my opinion

1. Toughness of a course is relative. Some people might find engineering harder than medicine and vice versa.
I think it depends on people's abilities generally. Some people have the brains for numbers and calculations, while others can memorise facts without forgetting them.
Medicine is not easy sha, the number of facts you'd have to learn and cram is something else.

2. It became complicated for me right from 200l.
One month, I was breezing through heat and temperature in physics like a boss, the next month I had to memorise innervation of about 40 muscles that supply the upper limb.
100l in Medicine is literally like a cruise year because you're familiar with most things that you're being taught, compared to 200l.

3. I don't quite understand your question here, but I'm taking it to mean that there are some similarities between medical courses and what you learnt in physics, chemistry and biology.
Well...to a small extent they are similar. Everyone who wrote jamb probably read about excretory system in biology, and you'd still see a bit of it in renal physiology. But in jamb syllabus, they wouldn't teach you how ADH helps to make urine concentrated or the fact that pudendal nerve gives somatic innervation to the urethral sphincter.
I heard its way more abstract in clinicals, but I haven't gotten there yet.

4. Very broad.
The human body is a very complex system as you can imagine. Even the simplest activities you do like eating has a pathway that MUST be studied.

5. Not really. Unless you count basic multiplication as part of it. Medicine is more about how much stuff you can memorise.

6. Even I don't know why there's so much hype around it. I think if I could go back in time with all the knowledge I have now, I might have chosen to study computer science and just be a tech sis.
Well, it's human lives we're talking about here. Medicine is primarily about saving human lives tho, and the hype is definitely worth it.
It's not easy trying to save something(life) which is so delicate and complex, something that a person only get once.

7 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Vegan99: 8:27am On Sep 19, 2022
Alexaonfleek:

1. Toughness of a course is relative. Some people might find engineering harder than medicine and vice versa.
I think it depends on people's abilities generally. Some people have the brains for numbers and calculations, while others can memorise facts without forgetting them.
Medicine is not easy sha, the number of facts you'd have to learn and cram is something else.

One month, I was breezing through heat and temperature in physics like a boss, the next month I had to memorise innervation of about 40 muscles that supply the upper limb.
100l in Medicine is literally like a cruise year because you're familiar with most things that you're being taught, compared to 200l.

3. I don't quite understand your question here, but I'm taking it to mean that there are some similarities between medical courses and what you learnt in physics, chemistry and biology.
Well...to a small extent they are similar. Everyone who wrote jamb probably read about excretory system in biology, and you'd still see a bit of it in renal physiology. But in jamb syllabus, they wouldn't teach you how ADH helps to make urine concentrated or the fact that pudendal nerve gives somatic innervation to the urethral sphincter.

4. Very broad.
The human body is a very complex system as you can imagine. Even the simplest activities you do like eating has a pathway that MUST be studied.

5. Not really. Unless you count basic multiplication as part of it. Medicine is more about how much stuff you can memorise.

6. Even I don't know why there's so much hype around it. I think if I could go back in time with all the knowledge I have now, I might have chosen to study computer science and just be a tech sis.
Well, it's human lives we're talking about here. Medicine is primarily about saving human lives tho, and the hype is definitely worth it.
It's not easy trying to save something(life) which is so delicate and complex, something that a person only get once.

alexa! Abeg, update your diary so we can know what's going on with you na.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 11:19am On Sep 19, 2022
Alexaonfleek:

4. Very broad.

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 12:32pm On Sep 19, 2022
@ALEXAONFLEEK
This is extremely impactful and insighful. to serve as a watchword to all the medical aspirants out there @1...viewing from your perspective; elaborating emphatically about how complex a course is, even those in the system(medical students) lament and complain a whole lots pertaining to the versatility of what it entails while others view it as something easy and straightforward. So my curiosity about this is why do some medical student laments about its complexity and why do some dymistify it as a very simple course to study irrespective of what their collegues utters about it
@ 3...what i mean here specifically is physics and chemistry is all about if not all/mostly calculations; is it still applicable till 600level(use physics and chemistry as a refrence point to elucidate/contrast on medical courses not biology)
@6...itemize the hypes most people usually project outside the four walls of medical school and their motives for such comments
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gemineye: 4:28pm On Sep 19, 2022
HumanCalc:
I hear my name oo grin
Howfa Taiwo. How EBSU dey treat una?... Abi how una dey treat EBSU?? grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Gemineye: 4:39pm On Sep 19, 2022
Vegan99:
Boss, how is unical's admission process into the medicine program?

Infact, just talk about the school in it's entirety.
Nothing unconventional really. The Admission process is pretty much the same. You'd write the screening exam for which a high score gives you an Advantage since you'll be met with competition, you know the drill

About the school, it's a'right is all i can say grin ....every school's got it's ups and downs tho undecided
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by HumanCalc: 5:12pm On Sep 19, 2022
Gemineye:
Howfa Taiwo. How EBSU dey treat una?... Abi how una dey treat EBSU?? grin
This school dey show me shege.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Munonyealvan: 5:26pm On Sep 19, 2022
HumanCalc:
This school dey show me shege.
Na watin u dey like na grin
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Adranido(m): 11:14pm On Sep 20, 2022
1.Pls how were you guys able to study and score high in jamb cry

2.And what advice do u have for someone who doesn't understand chemistry?

3.Is there any UNN medical student/aspirant here?

I had 242 this year and i’m now currently preparing for another embarassed

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Froshchuksswart(m): 5:17am On Sep 21, 2022
Munonyealvan:

Nice one unn.The preclinical and clinical arm of some state universities are all running like tiger though.

Talking of federal schools affected by strike
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by OwoukoUrua(m): 2:04pm On Sep 21, 2022
Adranido:
1.Pls how were you guys able to study and score high in jamb cry

2.And what advice do u have for someone who doesn't understand chemistry?

3.Is there any UNN medical student/aspirant here?

I had 242 this year and i’m now currently preparing for another embarassed

1. I started early
2. I can help you on topics you don't understand

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (854) (855) (856) (857) (858) (859) (860) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.