Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,604 members, 7,816,501 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (894) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1830782 Views)

โœฟ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (891) (892) (893) (894) (895) (896) (897) ... (905) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Johnboom: 10:46pm On Oct 18, 2023
Lagusta:

I am not sure
Then your medical school is not complete. All this Uni ilorin self. No wonder you have all this time on line. Dental student do housemaship,is even harder than medicine. While medical students do majorly 3 courses in preclinical dental do 5. Addition are oral anatomy, and oral physiology. If you can survive as dental student in Ife then you can survive any where in the world.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by RuyiMedicDiary: 12:27am On Oct 19, 2023
Johnboom:
Then your medical school is not complete. All this Uni ilorin self. No wonder you have all this time on line. Dental student do housemaship,is even harder than medicine. While medical students do majorly 3 courses in preclinical dental do 5. Addition are oral anatomy, and oral physiology. If you can survive as dental student in Ife then you can survive any where in the world.
shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by RuyiMedicDiary: 12:31am On Oct 19, 2023
NL1960:

Thanks.

. Which medical course do you suggest?. As for trying another JAMB, is it allowed to chose the same Uniben while she is in Uniben?.

. Did not look at this or JUPEB as it seems it is always to difficult to get to 200Lvl through A/L or JUPEB .
Any Medical course will be good. If she is 100% sure that its MBBS she wants, any 4 year course would do. (E.g Anatomy, Physiology, etc) But if she's not so sure that it's MBBS she wants, Biko let her go for a 5 year professional medical course instead.(E.g Nursing, Pharmacy, etc)

And yes, she can choose same UNIBEN. There won't be any issue if it's same school.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by NL1960: 9:06am On Oct 19, 2023
RuyiMedicDiary:
Any Medical course will be good. If she is 100% sure that its MBBS she wants, any 4 year course would do. (E.g Anatomy, Physiology, etc) But if she's not so sure that it's MBBS she wants, Biko let her go for a 5 year professional medical course instead.(E.g Nursing, Pharmacy, etc)

And yes, she can choose same UNIBEN. There won't be any issue if it's same school.

Thanks. Let me wait and see what she will be given. She wants MBBS.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 8:31pm On Oct 19, 2023
Johnboom:

Successfully ignored... ๐Ÿ˜Œ

10 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 8:51pm On Oct 19, 2023
Johnboom:

Bro is replying a message from 2012โ€ฆDamn๐Ÿ˜‚

Arenโ€™t you loved at home?

10 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Wonderkidsam: 9:08pm On Oct 19, 2023
Johnboom:

Honestly this is really unecessary ๐Ÿ˜‚, again this is a post from 2012(11 years ago) ๐Ÿ˜‚๐ŸคŒ...
This urge to always prove something; to me signifies insecurity.

I am a Dentistry student and I don't always go about saying things like this, or doing this comparison stuff.

5 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nattynate(m): 9:38pm On Oct 19, 2023
Clinton39:

Bro is replying a message from 2012โ€ฆDamn๐Ÿ˜‚

Arenโ€™t you loved at home?
๐Ÿ˜‚
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Damson22: 7:06am On Oct 20, 2023
Lagusta:

Successfully ignored... ๐Ÿ˜Œ

Wow!!! boss lagusta, I thought you are no longer using naira land again sha ๐Ÿ˜‰..

Pls boss, can I have your WhatsApp number sir, I have very few questions to ask sir.
Thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Natty111: 7:55pm On Oct 20, 2023
I just graduated from secondary school. I'm applying to study geology I chose geology cause I like geography and my geography teacher introduce it to me is it related?. Is geology based on maths cause my mathematics is poor and I don't Like maths. My major strength is biology and physics and my second chose is physiotherapy I actually liked but courses. O don't know what to do guys.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Cardiojosh(m): 1:16am On Oct 21, 2023
NL1960:

Thanks.

I will consider all your suggestions. She got 299 in JAMB this year. Uniben PUTME was chaotic on the first day that Medical Students wrote. That was what affected her. Those scheduled for 12:30pm could not write till around 6pm. Some students fainted while waiting with all the sun blazing with no place to sit and had to be taken away by ambulance.

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Lagusta(m): 6:09am On Oct 21, 2023
Damson22:

Wow!!! boss lagusta, I thought you are no longer using naira land again sha ๐Ÿ˜‰..

Pls boss, can I have your WhatsApp number sir, I have very few questions to ask sir.
Thanks

I visit nairaland everyday sir ๐Ÿ™‚

Once you get it, let me know so that I can delete it immediately
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by NL1960: 10:44am On Oct 21, 2023
Cardiojosh:

I will sincere advise she change institution to one that are yet to close her post utme portal.

Unimaid post utme portal closes in 3days, if she can register then I welcome her into the department.
I know an Edo guy who got in with a score a little bit lower than hers.
I hope this messages meets you on time.

Please that score should not go down the drain, no time to think about this, I've done it for you.
Only thing you need to think about is the 250k school fees for 100lv, and I know God will provide.

Let her do the change and apply in the next 6years he'll graduate.

Thanks for your insights.

She is a girl. Unimaid is too far. The parents are in Lagos. They were even crictised for wanting to send her to Edo. Maiduguri is a no for them. Too much insecurity to suddenly throw a 16year old girl who has never left Lagos into. The 250k is not an issue.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Cardiojosh(m): 11:23am On Oct 21, 2023
NL1960:

Thanks for your insights.

She is a girl. Unimaid is too far. The parents are in Lagos. They were even crictised for wanting to send her to Edo. Maiduguri is a no for them. Too much insecurity to suddenly throw a 16year old girl who has never left Lagos into. The 250k is not an issue.

Alright chief.
I understand the plight here though.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Damson22: 9:36pm On Oct 21, 2023
Lagusta:

I visit nairaland everyday sir ๐Ÿ™‚

Once you get it, let me know so that I can delete it immediately

Done sir
Thanks

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by RuyiMedicDiary: 10:52pm On Oct 21, 2023
Team Softcopy VS Team Hardcopy grin grin

PROS and CONS of using Softcopy/Hardcopy to study. Which do you prefer?

Watch here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60rfJjTRJL0?si=VmUoBZ6f-uC8JVeZ
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Keeon: 11:04pm On Oct 21, 2023
NL1960:

Thanks.

I will consider all your suggestions. She got 299 in JAMB this year. Uniben PUTME was chaotic on the first day that Medical Students wrote. That was what affected her. Those scheduled for 12:30pm could not write till around 6pm. Some students fainted while waiting with all the sun blazing with no place to sit and had to be taken away by ambulance.

hey with this JAMB score, I'd advice she changes to UDUS (Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto) I school there and it is a federal University. In fact, her quota is 150. If she so likes, her cut off for MBBS last year was 280
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by NL1960: 10:46am On Oct 22, 2023
Keeon:
hey with this JAMB score, I'd advice she changes to UDUS (Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto) I school there and it is a federal University. In fact, her quota is 150. If she so likes, her cut off for MBBS last year was 280

Thanks.

I have heard so much about UDUS even Unimaid. The security challenge is the issue. Too risky for a 16year old girl that spent all of her time in a closed guided catholic boarding school. It is easier and faster for a boy to toughen up and adjust in such environment. The parents have alreafy ruled out certain regions.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by horpeyemmi66(m): 1:33pm On Oct 22, 2023
Natty111:
I just graduated from secondary school. I'm applying to study geology I chose geology cause I like geography and my geography teacher introduce it to me is it related?. Is geology based on maths cause my mathematics is poor and I don't Like maths. My major strength is biology and physics and my second chose is physiotherapy I actually liked but courses. O don't know what to do guys.
Even if you have A1 in Geography at WAEC, it is not enough reason to say you want to study Geology.

Based on anecdotal evidence, Geology is a course with a significant amount of calculations related courses and even the bright ones end up with carryovers here and there.

Geology is not a bad course in itself, however, asides divine connection, you don't land a job in that sector just with a BSc. The more reason why you see a ton of BSc holders going back to get MScs, this is when you can begin to actually say you're onto something in the field.

This is Nigeria, count your teeth with your tongue. In essence, where do you see yourself realistically in 6 years and how do you intend to get there.

Nothing comes easy, Physiotherapy is a course where you can almost chart the direction of life after graduation. This is not to say it's better than Geology but at least you know where you'd be post-graduation. And as with Geology, studying Physiotherapy isn't a walk in the park.

I hope you are able to pick one or two things from this poorly arranged response.

Good luck.

9 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 6:34pm On Oct 23, 2023
Good evening my dear brothers and sisters.

So, I just entered 200L today.

We thank God for everything.

I need textbook recommendations for Anat, Physio and Biochem.

And generally any advice from any of my Chiefs here.

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Cardiojosh(m): 9:05pm On Oct 23, 2023
Clinton39:

Thanks in advance.

Congrats chief.
I'll also Transit in 3weeks time.

Senior colleagues your attentions are needed here on how to scale through

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by yungevvy(m): 9:10pm On Oct 23, 2023
Clinton39:

Thanks in advance.

I'll advice you just stick to lecturers' materials and use textbooks only as a last resort.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 10:17pm On Oct 23, 2023
yungevvy:

I'll advice you just stick to lecturers' materials and use textbooks only as a last resort.

Okay boss.

But this strategy sounds like one to just pass exams. Iโ€™d like to know my onions too, or what do you think?

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Eben331: 10:34pm On Oct 23, 2023
Clinton39:

Thanks in advance.

For Gross Anatomy, at first I was using Keith Moore Clinically oriented anatomy but I noticed that I spent gruesome hours on a chapter and lectures in class are moving at a fast pace. Nobody told me I had to work with time when the workloads keep piling up. Then I switched to BD Chaurasia. It is well outlined, straight to the point and detailed but it is lacking in the clinical correlations aspect. Knowing the clinical correlations is very important as medical students as all our knowledge tends towards the clinical practice. This is what distinguished us from Anatomy students. Then I found another textbook "Vishram Singh". This textbook is very good and it is my major textbook though I check Keith Moore and other textbooks for reference

For Embryology, Either Langman by Sadler or Developing Human by Keith Moore is better. Sadler is precise and straight to the point but if you really want to know your stuff very well, go for Developing Human.

For Histology, I prefer Junqueira compared to Indebir Singh

For Physiology, use Sembuligam. It is well outlined and straight to the point. But for hyperstuff, use Guyton though it is not well outlined and might be difficult to read at first.

For Biochemistry, stick to your lecturers' slides. Vasudevan is okay though people talk of Satayarana that it is good too. Harper's illustrated biochemistry is good too but might be difficult to read as a starter

9 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 11:02pm On Oct 23, 2023
Eben331:

For Gross Anatomy, at first I was using Keith Moore Clinically oriented anatomy but I noticed that I spent gruesome hours on a chapter and lectures in class are moving at a fast pace. Nobody told me I had to work with time when the workloads keep piling up. Then I switched to BD Chaurasia. It is well outlined, straight to the point and detailed but it is lacking in the clinical correlations aspect. Knowing the clinical correlations is very important as medical students as all our knowledge tends towards the clinical practice. This is what distinguished us from Anatomy students. Then I found another textbook "Vishram Singh". This textbook is very good and it is my major textbook though I check Keith Moore and other textbooks for reference

For Embryology, Either Langman by Sadler or Developing Human by Keith Moore is better. Sadler is precise and straight to the point but if you really want to know your stuff very well, go for Developing Human.

For Histology, I prefer Junqueira compared to Indebir Singh

For Physiology, use Sembuligam. It is well outlined and straight to the point. But for hyperstuff, use Guyton though it is not well outlined and might be difficult to read at first.

For Biochemistry, stick to your lecturers' slides. Vasudevan is okay though people talk of Satayarana that it is good too. Harper's illustrated biochemistry is good too but might be difficult to read as a starter
Thank you very much for this Boss.

I truly appreciate.

4 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Keeon: 6:57am On Oct 24, 2023
NL1960:

Thanks.

I have heard so much about UDUS even Unimaid. The security challenge is the issue. Too risky for a 16year old girl that spent all of her time in a closed guided catholic boarding school. It is easier and faster for a boy to toughen up and adjust in such environment. The parents have alreafy ruled out certain regions.
I am a Christian and I have lots of 16year-olds schooling here. Religion is not an issue here if she knows how to mind her business. Well, I wish her all the best

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by yungevvy(m): 10:17am On Oct 24, 2023
Clinton39:

Okay boss.

But this strategy sounds like one to just pass exams. Iโ€™d like to know my onions too, or what do you think?

Trust me, you'll soon come to realize there's never enough time in med school.

If you want to rely on textbooks, you'll be overwhelmed, and you'll end up reading irrelevant things.

Just stick to the materials. Na who pass exams Sabi book.

But if you're on break and want to do some reading, I'll recommend you start with anatomy, specifically gross anatomy.

5 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by ejehijustice(m): 11:15am On Oct 24, 2023
NL1960:

Thanks.

The North is not as bad as we from the South see it or are made to believe. Yes, there is insecurity in the North but truth is insecurity is in every region of the country. Even in the North the insecurities are more prominent in the outskirts.

Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto is in the heart of the city and I can tell you it is relatively peaceful - more peaceful than a lot of Southern cities.

That score is too good to throw away. Being female and young should not be a barrier. There are younger ladies here as well and trust me all she needs is to join CMDA and she would be well groomed and cultured.

The environment here makes it a bit difficult to turn wayward.

Yes, the weather is extreme - she will adapt. The road is far - surely she will cope. It is the seat of the caliphate - all she needs to do is to mind her business and she will do just fine.

However, if Sokoto is too far, then Unijos could be an option.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by NL1960: 11:32am On Oct 24, 2023
ejehijustice:

The North is not as bad as we from the South see it or are made to believe. Yes, there is insecurity in the North but truth is insecurity is in every region of the country. Even in the North the insecurities are more prominent in the outskirts.

Usmanu Danfodio University, Sokoto is in the heart of the city and I can tell you it is relatively peaceful - more peaceful than a lot of Southern cities.

That score is too good to throw away. Being female and young should not be a barrier. There are younger ladies here as well and trust me all she needs is to join CMDA and she would be well groomed and cultured.

The environment here makes it a bit difficult to turn wayward.

Yes, the weather is extreme - she will adapt. The road is far - surely she will cope. It is the seat of the caliphate - all she needs to do is to mind her business and she will do just fine.

However, if Sokoto is too far, then Unijos could be an option.

Thanks. Still weighing the various options.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Clinton39(m): 12:15pm On Oct 24, 2023
yungevvy:

Trust me, you'll soon come to realize there's never enough time in med school.

If you want to rely on textbooks, you'll be overwhelmed, and you'll end up reading irrelevant things.

Just stick to the materials. Na who pass exams Sabi book.

But if you're on break and want to do some reading, I'll recommend you start with anatomy, specifically gross anatomy.

I appreciate this boss.
Yeah, Iโ€™m on break, Iโ€™ll be resuming 200L in a month. I intend to start reading soon.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 3:56pm On Oct 26, 2023
Greetings everyone. Please is there anyone that got admitted to medicine and surgery through IJMB programme should please indicate...i have resumed the programme at UJ and i will be needing you guys for councel, to put me through and how to role with things in regards to what this IJMB entails...i will be resuming 200l Medicine and surgery in 7 months time if by Gods grace i meet up with the criterials involved.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 3:58pm On Oct 26, 2023
Clinton39:

Thanks in advance.
CONGRATULATIONS CHIEF

(1) (2) (3) ... (891) (892) (893) (894) (895) (896) (897) ... (905) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.