Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

African Cuisine - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / African Cuisine (56740 Views)

African Cuisine, Cook And Paste The Pics And Process Of Cooking Here. / Yours Mine and Ours: Cuisine / Rivers State Cuisine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 09, 2012
onila: ethiopian food looks good
I went to an Ethiopian restaurant a while back in Chicago and ate their food. It was soooo delicious....very expensive but worth every penny.

1 Like

Re: African Cuisine by wizb: 5:22pm On Oct 09, 2012
Fulaman198:

Miyan Taushe or pumpkin soup, na Hausa dish what is the Yoruba word for it?

I don't know if Yorubas have any groundnut based meal. Well maybe you can call it 'obe epa'
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 09, 2012
Sybellah: I dunno how i could translate this in english, huh "millet soup"? It's very good, u can add sugar and lemon to it or sugar with milk.

How do you eat that? Do you drink it or you eat it with something?
Re: African Cuisine by wizb: 5:34pm On Oct 09, 2012
Fulaman198:

We have it in Nigeria, Cameroon, Niger and Chad too, it's a Fulani drink (all West African countries you will find it in Fulani land).

gawri e kossam is what it is in fulani language. It is made from cattle milk and millet.

Is it like fura da nono?
Re: African Cuisine by wizb: 5:49pm On Oct 09, 2012
Sybellah:

ooo ok i c smiley anyway degue is delicious, have u ever tasted baobab powder before?

Do you have that in your country too? What do you do with it? We have it in Northern Nigeria, its called "KUKA" and every part of the baobab is useful to us here. The powder and seed is mostly eaten by children, the leaves for soup and the tree bark for medicines. I really enjoyed licking the white powder growing up.

1 Like

Re: African Cuisine by Nayah(f): 5:51pm On Oct 09, 2012
Tasty donuts we eat with beans in French "BH" for Beignets Haricots

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 6:00pm On Oct 09, 2012
ItsModella:
How do you eat that? Do you drink it or you eat it with something?

we drink it usually, but u can eat it with bread, i do that to feel my belly lool (i dun like to drink soup by themselves , it's like i ain't really eatin undecided)
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 09, 2012
wizb:

Do you have that in your country too? What do you do with it? We have it in Northern Nigeria, its called "KUKA" and every part of the baobab is useful to us here. The powder and seed is mostly eaten by children, the leaves for soup and the tree bark for medicines. I really enjoyed licking the white powder growing up.

yes cheesy , the powder we use it as snack, we can use it to make baobab juice, and some other kind of "bonbon glace"
@ bolded me too wink we used to buy it at 25 cfa lool
However i never had the seed before smiley
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 6:16pm On Oct 09, 2012
ItsModella:
I went to an Ethiopian restaurant a while back in Chicago and ate their food. It was soooo delicious....very expensive but worth every penny.

those ethiopia and somali restaurents are usually good! their rice with lamb or chicken are kiss
they have some kind of snacks called samoussa which is nice too, except for that i haven't tried anything else.
Re: African Cuisine by wizb: 8:41pm On Oct 09, 2012
Sybellah:

yes cheesy , the powder we use it as snack, we can use it to make baobab juice, and some other kind of "bonbon glace"
@ bolded me too wink we used to buy it at 25 cfa lool
However i never had the seed before smiley

The seeds are roasted like groundnuts. Hmmmn I'm just remembering all the Hausa snacks I ate while growing up. The seeds are really tasty with salt.

1 Like

Re: African Cuisine by Nayah(f): 8:55pm On Oct 09, 2012
Famous donuts in Cameroon..."Beignets"in French with beans and sugar sauce called "bouillie"
Soooooooo tasty tongue

2 Likes

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 09, 2012
wizb:

The seeds are roasted like groundnuts. Hmmmn I'm just remembering all the Hausa snacks I ate while growing up. The seeds are really tasty with salt.

i have to try it then smiley, like fulaman said, we are all eating the same things though they are named differently smiley
Do u know the "millet soup" i have posted too? if yes, how do u call it in your language?

1 Like

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 9:57pm On Oct 09, 2012
yumie yummie yummie grin grin grin I can it this "morning,afternoon,night"

Dear Fried Plantain,

You are the love of my life, I love u so much and i know u love me too.
Since we can't live without each other will u marry me?

Plantain: awwww SY yes yes I do grin

After passionate kisses, Plantain surprisingly ended up in Sy-belly lipsrsealed

Next victime FuFu Plantain cool

1 Like

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 10:11pm On Oct 09, 2012
Huuummm we have smthg similar "Galette" smiley very yummie, but too sugary, it make me full fast

www.nairaland.com/attachments/846783_makala_jpg4a78c2a164dccd24b3784781a578d509
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 10:34pm On Oct 09, 2012
Sybellah:

do u also eat cow tail? this is the most delicious part u can have from a cow, their tongue is also good ( when fried or baked)
Yes we do. We call it Ox tail. We put it in soup. We Jamaicans get as much as we can from an animal as possible.
Most Jamaicans (on the island) are very poor and as you know, meat is a luxury. Jamaicans main source of protein is from Eggs and Fish (Saltfish).
Despite that we can grow tall without a western diet.

1 Like

Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 10:37pm On Oct 09, 2012
Sybellah: yumie yummie yummie grin grin grin I can it this "morning,afternoon,night"

Dear Fried Plantain,

You are the love of my life, I love u so much and i know u love me too.
Since we can't live without each other will u marry me?

Plantain: awwww SY yes yes I do grin

After passionate kisses, Plantain surprisingly ended up in Sy-belly lipsrsealed

Next victime FuFu Plantain cool

I love Fried Plantains. The way to my heart. smiley
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 10:40pm On Oct 09, 2012
Nayah: Famous donuts in Cameroon..."Beignets"in French with beans and sugar sauce called "bouillie"
Soooooooo tasty tongue
www.nairaland.com/attachments/846783_makala_jpg4a78c2a164dccd24b3784781a578d509
www.nairaland.com/attachments/846784_BH_JPGefd8a2498079443fcfec632ba29dbc5c

The first pic looks good!
Re: African Cuisine by Nayah(f): 12:25am On Oct 10, 2012
You don't even know how much is good Black Kenchi wink
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 1:59am On Oct 10, 2012
Nayah: You don't even know how much is good Black Kenchi wink
I take your word for it!
Re: African Cuisine by Nayah(f): 2:08am On Oct 10, 2012
Black Kenichi:
I take your word for it!
I'll do it for you one day if I see you don"t worry honey wink
Re: African Cuisine by BlackKenichi(m): 2:46am On Oct 10, 2012
Nayah:
I'll do it for you one day if I see you don"t worry honey wink

Could you also cook some fish as well. I love cooked fish! wink
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 3:14am On Oct 10, 2012
Sybellah:

Hello Thiende smiley , what is soupoukandja made of?
Okra palm oil fish seafood , here's the recipe
http://blog.aufeminin.com/blog/seeone_355814_7916345/BEAUTE-AFRICAINE/Recette-Soupe-kandia-Senegal
smiley

1 Like

Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 3:25am On Oct 10, 2012
thiendella:
Okra palm oil fish seafood , here's the recipe
http://blog.aufeminin.com/blog/seeone_355814_7916345/BEAUTE-AFRICAINE/Recette-Soupe-kandia-Senegal
smiley

Thank you my dear smiley i am gonna check it out!
Re: African Cuisine by Fulaman198(m): 3:42am On Oct 10, 2012
wizb:

Is it like fura da nono?

Yes very similar to Fura da nono
Re: African Cuisine by somalia5: 12:20pm On Oct 10, 2012
Sybellah i would like to take you out to a somali restraunt if your ever in columbus, Ohio.

Sybellah:

those ethiopia and somali restaurents are usually good! their rice with lamb or chicken are kiss
they have some kind of snacks called samoussa which is nice too, except for that i haven't tried anything else.
Re: African Cuisine by wizb: 10:17am On Oct 11, 2012
Sybellah:

i have to try it then smiley, like fulaman said, we are all eating the same things though they are named differently smiley
Do u know the "millet soup" i have posted too? if yes, how do u call it in your language?

I'm not sure I've ever eaten the soup before but millet is used for a variety of dishes here. I'm sure it will be very tasty, I love millet pap with milk and sugar or with lemon and sugar.
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 2:09pm On Oct 11, 2012
wizb:

I'm not sure I've ever eaten the soup before but millet is used for a variety of dishes here. I'm sure it will be very tasty, I love millet pap with milk and sugar or with lemon and sugar.

is millet pap made essentially of millet and water, if yes this is what i called millet soup lool, i didnt know how to say it in english "bouillie de mil"
Re: African Cuisine by wizb: 9:07pm On Oct 11, 2012
Sybellah:

is millet pap made essentially of millet and water, if yes this is what i called millet soup lool, i didnt know how to say it in english "bouillie de mil"

Yes its made of millet, water and sometimes ginger. Millet is soaked in water for about 4-24hours, washed and grinded into a smooth paste. More water is then added and filtered with a cheesecloth. You can then prepare it like custard.
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 11, 2012
wizb:

Yes its made of millet, water and sometimes ginger. Millet is soaked in water for about 4-24hours, washed and grinded into a smooth paste. More water is then added and filtered with a cheesecloth. You can then prepare it like custard.

umh! ok i c, the way u described it i don't think it's "bouillie de mil"

Re: African Cuisine by laglad: 9:57pm On Oct 31, 2012
Nice! Check out www.NigerianFoods.com if you're itching for Naija food in the US. They deliver am to your door.

For those people who are further interested, you can take this poll: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PJ6WY2M
Re: African Cuisine by Flowers2127: 11:16am On Nov 09, 2012
Found this new Nigerian food blog and it's amazing www.cookingncleaning..co.uk
Re: African Cuisine by Nobody: 3:38pm On Nov 13, 2012
Attieke, Fish, Crabs...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

The Small Barbeque Fish I Bought Last Night For 5 Thousand Naira. / Snake Foodie / He Cooked A Colored Chicken Stew.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.