Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,279 members, 7,860,645 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 01:41 PM

The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion (18334 Views)

An Argument Against Any Reasonable Knowledge Of God. / The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Atheism. / The Argument Against Atheism In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by mkmyers45(m): 4:18pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Considering that you turned impracticabilities into "not-yet-done's", I believe the thing you mean is showing one example of a perfect vacuum.

You guys really need to learn up on the science that you shout about.
I think you should just shut up, Because humans cant at the moment replicate it makes it impossible?...DeepSight has refused to categorically pin-point evidence for the cause of Virtual Particles and is saying Perfect Vaccum could not have existed despite the evidence but he believes in Ancient Aliens with his evidences?

2 Likes

Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 25, 2012
mkmyers45: I think you should just shut up, Because humans cant at the moment replicate it makes it impossible?...DeepSight has refused to categorically pin-point evidence for the cause of Virtual Particles and is saying Perfect Vaccum could not have existed despite the evidence but he believes in Ancient Aliens with his evidences?

What evidence, dude?

You know, I really don't care if you end up in heaven or hell, so I haven't got a dog in this fight, dude. The only people that worry me and occupy my thoughts are those languishing souls who are hungry for a Savior.

That said, what makes perfect vacuums possible?
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by plaetton: 4:36pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi: Really, ehn, what point is there to this ten-page argument?

That FSM really does exist. Infact yahweh is just a short anagram for the FSM.
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by plaetton: 4:37pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi:

What evidence, dude?

You know, I really don't care if you end up in heaven or hell, so I haven't got a dog in this fight, dude. [b]The only people that worry me and occupy my thoughts are those languishing souls who are hungry for a Savior.

[/b]

You mean the little children?
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by mkmyers45(m): 4:57pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi:

What evidence, dude?

You know, I really don't care if you end up in heaven or hell, so I haven't got a dog in this fight, dude. The only people that worry me and occupy my thoughts are those languishing souls who are hungry for a Savior.

grin grin grin grin...oh you ask me what makes them possible? Funny...
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 25, 2012
mkmyers45: grin grin grin grin...oh you ask me what makes them possible? Funny...

Sure I do. Aren't you the resident scientist here? grin
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 25, 2012
plaetton:

You mean the little children?

Yeah, such as you cheesy
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 25, 2012
plaetton:

That FSM really does exist. Infact yahweh is just a short anagram for the FSM.

Oh? Which Yahweh's that?
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by mkmyers45(m): 5:12pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Sure I do. Aren't you the resident scientist here? grin
i bet 2 of my filamentous biomaterial growing from my follicles that you know nada about it..
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by plaetton: 5:17pm On Sep 25, 2012
mkmyers45: i bet 2 of my filamentous biomaterial growing from my follicles that you know nada about it..

Ya. why not?
I know zilch about it, but I will argue against it anyway.
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by jayriginal: 5:19pm On Sep 25, 2012
Deep Sight, I was reading from the side and enjoying the thread. I have no wish to jump into the argument here with both feet as I have made my position extremely clear before now. My comments were made with a sense of humour (being as I then was, "in the spirit" ).

However, I'll reply certain points.

Deep Sight:
As shown above, it is open and fair reason and logic. If you have a different understanding, please show it to me for consideration, not so? It helps nothing to repeatedly advance as your only position the fact that you believe no one can or should have a position. I hope you realize that this "as far as we know" game which you play, or "according to your understanding" - is a game that can be applied to insist that we should all shut up and never advance any positions because whatever we may construe will simply be only "as far as we know" and "according to our understanding" and thus will amount to arguing from ignorance.

THIS attitude renders every discusssion meaningless. I will suggest that if that is all you have to bring to the table, then there is no point in your coming to the table. Really. Think on it.

Not at all. One is free to discuss every topic under the sun.

My objection is so simple and so logical that you do not see it for what it is and that is quite exasperating. Its namely this; that something seems to be correct or feels correct does not mean as it is so. As a matter of fact, if you would put your uncaused cause argument in proper terms, you should immediately see what the problem is.

You are taking certain things for granted (making assumptions) and on those grounds, assert a very positive statement, excluding any kind of exception.

Reality must not conform to your expectation. That is all I have said. This is very basic.

Lol, I want to assume you're cracking jokes here. The example remains the same, be it macaroni, spagetti, noodles or even flying egusi.

You know, the thing about you - and I mean this in good faith - is that you are seldom, if ever, to be seen tackling the meat of any matter. I don't know if it is a tactic or just a part of your "we don't know anything and should all shut up" attitude. I just wearies me because you are always happy to snack on side matters, petty distractions and most often even outrightly refuse to engage issues. You dont need to give examples, you say. You dont rely on science, you say. What then is the purpose having a discussion with you. Seriously, I mean this in good faith. How can you help teach me knew things with such an approach. Where is the added value?

It would be nice to see you focus more on the meat of discussions and actually put a foot forward, instead of hanging back where its dark and safe and you cant be said to have said anything, as you claim.

I was joking of course.

Now listen, sometimes I follow a discussion up to a point and then a particular line interests me. Then I go after it. Nothing wrong with that. It could be a single line in the third page of a thread. Some threads I read and never comment. As far as our debates go, if you think I deviate, I assure you I dont. It is only because you refuse to recognize the basic hurdles in your path.

If we were to go down the road and jump from "the Universe is caused" to "god is the cause" you would meet more hurdles.

As for putting a foot forward, I assert that which I know, and I know little. Never will I make the kind of broad, all encompassing statements you make. It is wiser to listen more and talk less, and speak of what you know. If you think x is x, say you think so. Dont scream x is x. Your thoughts may be right or they may be wrong. If you dont know, dont say you do. Express yourself in the most appropriate terms. Seek to show why you think your opinion is right rather than telling us your opinion is fact.

That is all. Im not saying no one should discuss, Im saying discuss properly and in perspective.

And this is an excellent example of my point about you above: shall we all pack our bags up, eschew discussions and cease to postulate our ideas on existence and the universe, since as you say, knowledge is not absolute, and it is at all events only our "limited view" always in operation, and as such all discussions are assumptions upon assumptions upon assumptions, no?

What's the point making any point?

Thats the point !
How you make your points matter.

I say why do we spar because we agree on this, yet when it comes to the cosmological argument, you ignore it.

Again, you are free to explain yourself, but recognize your limitations in so doing.

You have obviously taken that position and that's why you admitted that you do not put your foot forward on anything in discourses.

Why would I go about claiming things I do not know of ? undecided

If you do so, you should expect to be called upon to prove your claims. In other words, he who asserts, must prove.

on account of your mysterious angst against the messenger, you revile the message.

You need to get over yourself.
If anything, you are the one who has a mysterious angst against me. You've been downright rude to me on more than one occasion. Stop playing the victim jare.

1 Like

Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by Nobody: 5:22pm On Sep 25, 2012
plaetton:

Ya. why not?
I know zilch about it, but I will argue against it anyway.
And somehow prove its existence gives credence to another attribute of my God.
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by MrAnony1(m): 5:31pm On Sep 25, 2012
Martian:

It describes the expansion from a state of "infinite" energy density and doesn't even attempt or presuppose anything before that. Big bang is based on the observation that galaxies are moving away from each other therefore they must have been closer before.It doesn't make any claims about how that singularity began. Also, since dark energy is part of the universe and is said to be accelerating the rate of expansion, why can't the cause of the big bang be an intrinsic part of the singularity(universe) just like dark energy is part of universe?
Hmm martian...would you care to elaborate for us on the following:

1.(blue) If the universe is expanding, into what space is it expanding?

2.(red) What exactly is dark energy and how do you know that it exists and is a part of the universe?
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by Nobody: 5:39pm On Sep 25, 2012
mkmyers45: i bet 2 of my filamentous biomaterial growing from my follicles that you know nada about it..

Darn straight grin How about you show me the depths of my ignorance? Like, put out an argument and examine my response to it? Think you can manage that?
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by mkmyers45(m): 5:44pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Darn straight grin How about you show me the depths of my ignorance? Like, put out an argument and examine my response to it? Think you can manage that?
What happens at absolute zero?
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by MrAnony1(m): 5:50pm On Sep 25, 2012
mkmyers45: What happens at absolute zero?
What a question? Have we ever observed absolute zero?

....I've got an even cooler question. What happens after we die?
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by mkmyers45(m): 5:58pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Helping your bro? Cool....Wetin jam physics and afterlife? Absolute zero does exist no?
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by Nobody: 5:58pm On Sep 25, 2012
Awesome @Mr Anony. But I wanna play his game.

mkmyers45: What happens at absolute zero?

Technically, science does not know. But something is expected at such a temperature. Theoretically, the thing is that thermal energy vanishes. A body or system at absolute zero is expected to retain only its ground state energy.
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by Nobody: 6:00pm On Sep 25, 2012
mkmyers45: Helping your bro? Cool....Wetin jam physics and afterlife? Absolute zero does exist no?

@bolded, where?
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by mkmyers45(m): 6:10pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi: Awesome @Mr Anony. But I wanna play his game.

Technically, science does not know. But something is expected at such a temperature. Theoretically, the thing is that thermal energy vanishes. A body or system at absolute zero is expected to retain only its ground state energy.
Is energy eternal?
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by mkmyers45(m): 6:12pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi:

@bolded, where?
In space.. grin
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 25, 2012
mkmyers45: Is energy eternal?

Are you sure you are working toward an argument for perfect vacuums? I'm under the impression that you are but your questions seem to be heading elsewhere.

Regardless, I do not hold that energy is eternal. I hold that God alone is eternal.
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by mkmyers45(m): 6:18pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Are you sure you are working toward an argument for perfect vacuums? I'm under the impression that you are but your questions seem to be heading elsewhere.

Regardless, I do not hold that energy is eternal. I hold that God alone is eternal.
If you feel its getting somehow for you..its ok to quit....Can energy be created or destroyed? How is it not eternal?
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by plaetton: 6:24pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Yeah, such as you cheesy

Hey townsboy, I go beat you O.
take time O. tongue
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by MrAnony1(m): 6:27pm On Sep 25, 2012
mkmyers45: In space.. grin
Obviously the question: where? already presupposes space much like the question: when? presupposes time. So where in space exactly?

I wanna play too this is so much fun I find it hard to resist. let's play together shall we?

mkmyers45: If you feel its getting somehow for you..its ok to quit....Can energy be created or destroyed? How is it not eternal?
Can energy exist when matter does not exist? If yes, how and in what form? If no, can matter be created or destroyed?
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by plaetton: 6:27pm On Sep 25, 2012
musKeeto:
And somehow prove its existence gives credence to another attribute of my God.

Bingo!
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by plaetton: 6:29pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mr_Anony:

Good dodging. avoid saying "i dont know" and fire back with a question.
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by MrAnony1(m): 6:31pm On Sep 25, 2012
plaetton:

Good dodging. avoid saying "i dont know" and fire back with a question.
Lol, there you are. Have you found an answer to my challenge yet?
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by plaetton: 6:31pm On Sep 25, 2012

Here comes the Annoying, oops, sorry, I mean the Annony twins.
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by plaetton: 6:33pm On Sep 25, 2012
Ihedinobi:

But your fellow theist, Deepsight, has already reached the conclusion that God is energy.
Is he wrong?
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by mkmyers45(m): 6:33pm On Sep 25, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Obviously the question: where? already presupposes space much like the question: when? presupposes time. So where in space exactly?
Can energy exist when matter does not exist? If yes, how and in what form? If no, can matter be created or destroyed?
Mr_Anony Its in space simple..and why are you asking me the quesions im asking?
Re: The Pink Unicorn Argument Against Religion by Nobody: 6:35pm On Sep 25, 2012
mkmyers45: If you feel its getting somehow for you..its ok to quit....Can energy be created or destroyed? How is it not eternal?

Funny question. Science currently knows of no method by which energy may be created or destroyed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (21) (Reply)

How Do You Love God But Hate Your Neighbours? / Artificial Insemination By A Single Lady Is Unnatural And A Sin. / FG not doing enough to prevent anarchy -Catholic bishops

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.