Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,659 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances (5894 Views)

The Social And Cultural Implications Of Living In The West / Does Anyone Know How/why So Many People From Rivers State Have English Surnames / Why Don't White People Have African Surnames? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 8:39am On Sep 23, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Where did you see that I kept my father's name? I spoke of children not me. Keep up suga.
you were half answering questions so based on statements about your kids honoring their fathers name and other statements I inductively assumed that scenario.. apologies If you felt offended by the question tongue

Btw are you always like this? What's up with the tough facade this whole thread..I was genuinely trying to have a conversation with you but you seem to be in one character mode. Relax woman this is not a battle of the sexes..
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 9:05am On Sep 23, 2012
Lord_Reed:

And you are paid to comment I suppose?
everything is not about money son. Time for everything. When I'm about money I get money..
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima(f): 11:44am On Sep 23, 2012
nyameke: you were half answering questions so based on statements about your kids honoring their fathers name and other statements I inductively assumed that scenario.. apologies If you felt offended by the question tongue

Btw are you always like this? What's up with the tough facade this whole thread..I was genuinely trying to have a conversation with you but you seem to be in one character mode. Relax woman this is not a battle of the sexes..

Ahhhhh.....i was wondering when you were going to throw the gender card!....when all else gails throw the weak punches huh?

I wasnt offended just dont like assumption by deception. It s a fine line to lying.

Of course it isnt a battle too bad you read more into it then i did.....and didnt know u could tell people expression and emotions from whst they type.

Damn you good....NOT!
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima(f): 11:47am On Sep 23, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Me mad? Don't get it twisted, I already dismissed the thread as dustbin material.

It is not surprising...you like the idra of owning human properties.

Enjoy the thread....i see you enjoys reading.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by LordReed(m): 12:59pm On Sep 23, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

It is not surprising...you like the idra of owning human properties.

Enjoy the thread....i see you enjoys reading.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by LordReed(m): 12:59pm On Sep 23, 2012
nyameke: everything is not about money son. Time for everything. When I'm about money I get money..

Glad you realise....
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 3:09pm On Sep 23, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Ahhhhh.....i was wondering when you were going to throw the gender card!....when all else gails throw the weak punches huh?

I wasnt offended just dont like assumption by deception. It s a fine line to lying.

Of course it isnt a battle too bad you read more into it then i did.....and didnt know u could tell people expression and emotions from whst they type.

Damn you good....NOT!

lol see what I'm talking about. You were wondering when I was going to throw the gender card ? So you came to the convo with an already prejudiced mindset.

As far as the fathers name thing. I had asked you initial if you uses your fathers name and you said something like " my kids will honor their father ....we agreed to it before marriage." So inductively I assumed you meant your kids will use your husbands name, therefore you are probably using your fathers name.. glad you not offended though

And yes I said this is not battle of the sexes maybe with a little exaggeration but I wanted you to know I wasn't about that . Why I told you to relax.. I mean cmon you were fixated on head and equality to property owning . To the extent you were comparing it to guys marking their territory to slave ownership, to manbitches etc.

The personality thing I could be right, I could be wrong but I pay attention to the style of writing of people a lot. And most times I'm right. It's easier with handwritten stuff.. you seem to be a down to earth and nice person. Maybe it is your e- persona you was putting up I don't know..

Now can we continue on with the topic..
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 3:13pm On Sep 23, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Glad you realise....
I already knew that.. I don't think you did
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 23, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Yeah sis been a while. What you been up to? Howz work, gaming and all?

truth be told, i am not as busy as I was before.
I have plenty of idle time to waste as all I do is work at the moment.

I game once in a while.
my systems are all in storage because i moved not too long ago.
but anyway, it has been a while. smiley I see you're ok and I hope all is well
offline too. wink
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 3:52pm On Sep 23, 2012
nyameke: lol see what I'm talking about. You were wondering when I was going to throw the gender card ? So you came to the convo with an already prejudiced mindset.

I see sarcasm isn't your strongest suit...stick to creating wild assumptions...you do it very well. wink
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 3:53pm On Sep 23, 2012
Lord_Reed:

grin grin grin grin
undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 3:54pm On Sep 23, 2012
*Kails*:

I game once in a while.
offline too. wink

Back off Lord Reed...I will cut you heffa! angry angry angry
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 3:57pm On Sep 23, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

I see sarcasm isn't your strongest suit...stick to creating wild assumptions...you do it very well. wink
lol its all good mami tongue
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 3:59pm On Sep 23, 2012
Nym...you forget what you write don't you?

As far as the fathers name thing. I had asked you initial if you uses your fathers name and you said something like " my kids will honor their father ....we agreed to it before marriage." So inductively I assumed you meant your kids will use your husbands name, therefore you are probably using your fathers name.. glad you not offended though

You have posted two different statements saying it is the same....this is what you said below.

nyameke: @chima are you using your husband surname or your surname?

You mentioned nothing of my father...you said husband....were you dreaming when you wrote both statements? My children ARE PART OF MY HUSBAND therefore the answer was RELEVANT.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 4:00pm On Sep 23, 2012
nyameke: lol its all good mami tongue

I am glad it is...sounded like you took it personal. lipsrsealed
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by LordReed(m): 4:03pm On Sep 23, 2012
*Kails*:

I game once in a while.
offline too. wink

Yeah things are pretty ok here. I hope the move was to your advantage.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 4:04pm On Sep 23, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

with what?

a butter knife? grin you gon' butter me to death? grin grin grin
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 4:06pm On Sep 23, 2012
*Kails*:

with what?

a butter knife? grin you gon' butter me to death? grin grin grin

My toothbrush shank. grin grin grin grin
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by LordReed(m): 4:07pm On Sep 23, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 4:09pm On Sep 23, 2012
@ chima Naa I don't take stuff personally I say what's on my mind and keep it moving
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 4:13pm On Sep 23, 2012
Btw is people surnames not the same as fathers name any more? Oh I forgot we live in an era where some people take after their moms name undecided undecided
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 4:16pm On Sep 23, 2012
nyameke: @ chima Naa I don't take stuff personally I say what's on my mind and keep it moving

I do too. wink
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 4:16pm On Sep 23, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

My toothbrush shank. grin grin grin grin

LOOOOOOOOOOL! grin

SOMEBODY JUST FINISHED WATCHING "OZ"! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 4:17pm On Sep 23, 2012
Lord_Reed:

tongue tongue tongue tongue

Cheater!!
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 4:17pm On Sep 23, 2012
*Kails*:

LOOOOOOOOOOL! grin

SOMEBODY JUST FINISHED WATCHING "OZ"! grin grin grin grin grin

Yanno! Tunde is my favorite character with his masturbating ass! grin grin grin Girl he kills me with that lil hat sitting on the corner of his head!
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 4:19pm On Sep 23, 2012
nyameke: Btw is people [size=18pt]sur[/size]names not the same as fathers name any more? Oh I forgot we live in an era where some people take after their moms name undecided undecided

YES,

sur = sir.
honestly i plan to keep my last name and do the hyphenated thing but
i dont exactly see taking on the father's name as "oppressive". I am just saying the culture/tradition began from chauvinistic societies and laws.

for example "johnson" in the old days meant you were the "son of john". Same for "Robinson" etc.

anyway, the only children i know who have their mother's last names are kids born to single mothers or who changed it due to the divorce of their parents.

Case in point Bobby Brown and the late Witney Houston's daughter who dropped her father's names "bobby and brown" from hers.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 4:22pm On Sep 23, 2012
My favorite character in Oz was "Simon Adebisi". grin grin grin grin

that man was SICK!!! It was effed up how he died though. undecided

but what he did during the series was even MORE effed up! grin grin
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 4:24pm On Sep 23, 2012
*Kails*:

YES,

sur = sir.
i dont exactly see taking on the father's name as "oppressive". I am just saying the culture/tradition began from chauvinistic societies and laws.

for example "johnson" in the old days meant you were the "son of john". Same for "Robinson" etc.

anyway, the only children i know who have their mother's last names are kids born to single mothers or who changed it due to the divorce of their parents.

Case in point Bobby Brown and the late Witney Houston's daughter who dropped her father's names "bobby and brown" from hers.

You made an excellent point because I have seen many female celebrities who have maintained their maiden name even after marriage and some said it to maintain their brand but my thing is this....how come we don't always know their spouse's name but their maiden name?

Speaking of children...not all children will keep their name even if they are married. Some kids will grow up with some kind of epiphany and decides to change their name because of whatever. If they do so...the line is lost anyways. So we need not to make a big deal about surnames because we all live in the world where people are creating pen names and brand names that has nothing to do with their spouse or father.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 4:25pm On Sep 23, 2012
*Kails*:
My favorite character in Oz was "Simon Adebisi". grin grin grin grin

that man was SICK!!! It was effed up how he died though. undecided

but what he did during the series was even MORE effed up! grin grin

I kinda liked Said!! He was a mofo.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 23, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

You made an excellent point because I have seen many female celebrities who have maintained their maiden name even after marriage and some said it to maintain their brand but my thing is this....how come we don't always know their spouse's name but their maiden name?

Speaking of children...not all children will keep their name even if they are married. Some kids will grow up with some kind of epiphany and decides to change their name because of whatever. If they do so...the line is lost anyways. So we need not to make a big deal about surnames because we all live in the world where people are creating pen names and brand names that has nothing to do with their spouse or father.

well i guess this goes back to what nyameke was saying, that basically surnames don't seem to matter anymore. Unless you come from a culture where "honor, class, lineage blah blah bleh" tongue is important, everywhere else it is irrelevant. The whole name collectively and what you do is what matters in the west.

Nobody cares to know what "jackson" means because culturally it no longer has any significance, but if you mention "Michael Jackson", that is when you get the "ooohs and aahs".

A lot or the women who decide to keep their maiden name do so because of the influence of the women's movement and again because of things that may have happened within the family.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 23, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

I kinda liked Said!! He was a mofo.

he was ok.
i think he is the one who "offed" simon. angry
if i can recall.

but he was a bit boring...sexy though but boring. undecided
the cliche "Moslem brother, down for the cause" type of character. grin grin
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 4:36pm On Sep 23, 2012
*Kails*:

YES,

sur = sir.

exactly my point.. To me it is the natural thing to do and shouldn't be looked at as oppressive. I probably wouldn't have too much issue with a woman having a hyphenated name but as far as the kids that's a no no ..and my view is not based on societal/ cultural or religious values.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Congolese Woman Sets Herself On Fire In Protest Against Racism (Pics) / What Region Has The Concentration Of Light-skinned People In Nigeria / GENERAL ASORO {the Great Benin Warrior}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.