Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,800 members, 7,817,309 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:56 AM

Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances (5892 Views)

The Social And Cultural Implications Of Living In The West / Does Anyone Know How/why So Many People From Rivers State Have English Surnames / Why Don't White People Have African Surnames? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 23, 2012
nyameke: exactly my point.. To me it is the natural thing to do and shouldn't be looked at as oppressive. I probably wouldn't have too much issue with a woman having a hyphenated name but as far as the kids that's a no no ..

grin grin grin ok so even if the father's last name comes last you would still have a problem with the hyphenated thing? grin

OT: i know in spanish speaking communities its a bit more interesting because it is standard to have both your maiden and surnames.

the thing is the father's last name comes first, then the mothers.
to me that is a bit odd.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 4:49pm On Sep 23, 2012
*Kails*:

grin grin grin ok so even if the father's last name comes last you would still have a problem with the hyphenated thing? grin

OT: i know in spanish speaking communities its a bit more interesting because it is standard to have both your maiden and surnames.

to me that is a bit odd.
for my wife I would be resistant to it unless the reason is very legitimate and not reasons of because of property owning thing.. For the kids no way..

And the Spanish thing is odd
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by nyameke: 4:56pm On Sep 23, 2012
@ kails inbox me your yim

1 Like

Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by LordReed(m): 5:09pm On Sep 23, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Cheater!!

You dumped me for lefulefu....
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 5:11pm On Sep 23, 2012
Lord_Reed:

You dumped me for lefulefu....

You obviously didn't see the thread...I AM NOT IN LOVE WITH LEFULEFU! angry angry angry angry
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima1(f): 5:13pm On Sep 23, 2012
*Kails*:

to me that is a bit odd.

You already know...some men do not care as long as their name is in the picture SOMEWHERE...it could be on the license plate, coffee mug, or even on booty cheeks.

Matter fact...I may have to rethink the hyphenated names thingie...hmmm.

I have seen children with hyphenated names and some of them were nice combos. There is a child's name...Something Aire-Love and I was digging it!
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by LordReed(m): 8:13pm On Sep 23, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

You obviously didn't see the thread...I AM NOT IN LOVE WITH LEFULEFU! angry angry angry angry

grin grin grin grin
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 5:23am On Sep 24, 2012
@ chima.

sis this topic must really mean something to you.
i dont want to be personal but do you and your hubby have the same last name?
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 6:50am On Sep 24, 2012
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 8:24am On Sep 24, 2012
Lord_Reed:

Yeah things are pretty ok here. I hope the move was to your advantage.

sorry for not responding earlier.
was too busy giving ppl who don't deserve it, my attention. tongue
im just now responding to replies. grin

anyway...

yes sweetie it was.
it's very quiet and peaceful. smiley
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima(f): 10:03am On Sep 24, 2012
*Kails*:

sorry for not responding earlier.
was too busy giving ppl who don't deserve it, my attention. tongue
im just now responding to replies. grin

anyway...

yes sweetie it was.
it's very quiet and peaceful. smiley

Sweetie You got one mo gin! angry angry

1 Like

Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 10:08am On Sep 24, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Sweetie You got one mo gin! angry angry

grin grin grin grin grin grin

lol! geeeeze!
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 10:10am On Sep 24, 2012
btw thanks for holding it down tonight azz usual. kiss
im gonna stop paying these cyber chicks any mind,
that was some REAL hater type *ish!! grin

#AintMyFault.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 10:11am On Sep 24, 2012
hmmm....
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima(f): 10:11am On Sep 24, 2012
*Kails*:
@ chima.

sis this topic must really mean something to you.
i dont want to be personal but do you and your hubby have the same last name?

Actually it doesn't from a personal standpoint and to answer your question...I am Mrs. Chima right? tongue THere are other threads that speak about the surname upon marriage but it was from a biblical standpoint. My thread is from a cultural/expectation/acceptance standpoint because as I stated in the thread not everyone is Christians and not everyone are believers of the Bible so therefore how does it apply to those who are not "believers" or followers of the Bible or any other religions that expect women to change their surname upon marriage?

I meant to create this thread some time ago but what really drove me is when I saw some comments a while back from a different thread states that it is culturally appropriate addition to what people feel the Bible means. My friend who is a lesbian married a woman in California and invited me to attend her reception. She changed her surname to her wife/husband and people were yelling that homosexuals shouldn't engage in marriage nor change their surname because it is not recognized by God.

My stance on this is why is it a big deal that some women (straight) keep their father or mother's surname and homosexuals changing their surname to their partner's

You know I don't put my deep/personal business out like that so it wouldn't be anything about my personal life. wink
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 10:12am On Sep 24, 2012
*Kails*:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

lol! geeeeze!

Yo Msdarkskin or whatever the fvck your handle is, don't ever get me involved in crap again and don't ever mention my handle again...

What the fvck is wrong with you and your obsession

You guys are weird, yo.... Your e-bf was so weirdo, NL got the faggit sectioned for life...

Keep me out of your shyte with Shollypopz... God saved you I slept off yesterday..

This is going to be my last warning to you, weird bastard..
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 10:12am On Sep 24, 2012
lol gotdamn chima. grin
i refreshed the page and saw a damn novel! grin
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 10:13am On Sep 24, 2012
And don't ever mention my handle again...

I don't converse with you, do the same..
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 10:13am On Sep 24, 2012
lol um sir, or maam, which ever... grin

"God saved you" from what exactly? YOU?! grin

you really decided to come on here to post that lame shyt?

really though? lol move on.
you're old news and so is the issue, scoot.

i dont even want you on the same thread as me.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima(f): 10:14am On Sep 24, 2012
*Kails*:
btw thanks for holding it down tonight azz usual. kiss
im gonna stop paying these cyber chicks any mind,
that was some REAL hater type *ish!! grin

#AintMyFault.

Which one are you talking about.....the Alternate ID having King or The Ghost from the Past? grin

1 Like

Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 10:15am On Sep 24, 2012
lol @warning me.

i dont think ppl know my age.. grin

nobody warns a grown azz woman.

like i said, be out.
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 10:15am On Sep 24, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Which one are you talking about.....the Alternate ID having King or The Ghost from the Past? grin

LMAO!! girl bye...neither one is relevant.
not even worth typing about.

#itAINTmyFault... grin
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima(f): 10:15am On Sep 24, 2012
LMAO@it is early morning and YALL STILL FIGHTING! grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 10:17am On Sep 24, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
LMAO@it is early morning and YALL STILL FIGHTING! grin grin grin grin grin

i don't fight my dear!

i argue, there is a difference! grin
lolz...

seriously though who does that? grin grin

"im warning you!" grin

bytch bye!

anyway, its like 5 am over here, and im not even tired. tongue
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima(f): 10:17am On Sep 24, 2012
*Kails*:

LMAO!! girl bye...neither one is relevant.
not even worth typing about.

#itAINTmyFault... grin

You are right...I read it and was gon respond to you when you said stop reviving old shit...then I said to myself if I respond I will be reviving old shit! grin grin grin

It is obvious somebody is STILL LYING and HURT. I guess my words do cut deep huh? grin grin Folks want to take shots/snipes and I gently remind them to stay in their lane. wink

1 Like

Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima(f): 10:19am On Sep 24, 2012
*Kails*:

i don't fight my dear!

i argue, there is a difference! grin
lolz...

seriously though who does that? grin grin

"im warning you!" grin

bytch bye!

anyway, its like 5 am over here, and im not even tired. tongue

Girl I went to bed laughing when I saw ole boy wanted to fight Royal. My husband was like what you grinning for? grin I also laugh when SOME PEOPLE want to blame THE WHOLE GROUP because they have been hurt/whipped/tagged by the one person in THAT said group. grin grin grin

Black Americans have really suffer because of mouth/fingers! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 10:19am On Sep 24, 2012
This is my last warning...

Your faggit ar.se bf went nuts trying to get back at me, I'll fvck up mentally as well, if you don't keep my handle outta of your Gary Coleman mouth..

I warned you, slag...

Fvck off!! So lame you can't even fight Shollypopz without getting me involved.. Bwahahahaha

Weaklings!!! undecided undecided
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 10:19am On Sep 24, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

You are right...I read it and was gon respond to you when you said stop reviving old shit...then I said to myself if I respond I will be reviving old shit! grin grin grin

It is obvious somebody is STILL LYING and HURT. I guess my words do cut deep huh? grin grin Folks want to take shots/snipes and I gently remind them to stay in their lane. wink

Amen. if i didn't run the night dude did what he did, why would i run because someone mentioned it? its natural someone would use it against me.

but like i said, the REAL ISSUE...ain't my fault. grin grin
lemme stop. I'm just glad i know you and royal real.

good to have winners on my team. smiley
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 24, 2012
shim-mex grin

why the fck are you still here though?
this is like your third warning in three minutes fam. grin

crusty lips aka bubble neck, be out. we have NOTHING to discuss.
why are you still poppin shyt when im talking to chima?
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 10:22am On Sep 24, 2012
Viewing this topic: *Kails*, Mrs.Chima(f) and 5 guest(s)

wow! ok im used to seeing 1 guest follow me around because i know who that is..love you lolz. kiss

but this is sick! grin
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by Nobody: 10:25am On Sep 24, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Girl I went to bed laughing when I saw ole boy wanted to fight Royal. My husband was like what you grinning for? grin I also laugh when SOME PEOPLE want to blame THE WHOLE GROUP because they have been hurt/whipped/tagged by the one person in THAT said group. grin grin grin

Black Americans have really suffer because of mouth/fingers! grin grin grin

lol..slayed and laid the fck out trying to flex muscles on me.
it's all good though. it's to be expected from the mentally r3tarded.

anyway though, you talk to d?
Re: Surnames And Cultural Expectations/acceptances by MrsChima(f): 10:27am On Sep 24, 2012
*Kails*:

wow! ok im used to seeing 1 guest follow me around because i know who that is..love you lolz. kiss

but this is sick! grin

Sis...I have a question...if you view any thread as a guest...does it show on your profile when you were last login? My detective mode is kicking in.

I will explain to you on YIM. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Yoruba Audio Bible Now Available In Old Testament And New Testament / Congolese Woman Sets Herself On Fire In Protest Against Racism (Pics) / What Region Has The Concentration Of Light-skinned People In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.