Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,315 members, 7,811,940 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity (7449 Views)

Why Do Bible Have Different Versions With Different Meanings / How Have Prophecies Affected Your Life? / Moses' Black Wife Was Written Out Of Later Versions Of The Bible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by Baham82(m): 10:24pm On Oct 21, 2012
so funny nd interst but y abus'g d muslims? Islam is ONE all over d world wth ONE scripture(Qur'an). No argument in d way of worship GOD, read d bible very well, there should b ONE way of worship God because He's ONE nd Jesus is His prophet nd servant

2 Likes

Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by Itoroetti(m): 10:58pm On Oct 21, 2012
What kind of question is this?what do u expect as an answer?
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by Ezeufi: 11:16pm On Oct 21, 2012
I didn't know that catholics and protestants have different bibles And neither did I know that there is King James version, New King James Version, New International Version, and other versions.

In fact after knowing that one bible has 73 books and another has 66, now I begin to think that God's word has been tampered with. Either one of them or both of them are NOT from God.

How many versions of Koran are there? May those who know enlighten us please?

1 Like

Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by seyibrown(f): 11:17pm On Oct 21, 2012
The message has not changed, regardless of the various translations. Many modern people will not find the KJV language attractive at all or even comprehend most of it. The availability of other versions in plainer English Language has helped people understand the message more. It has allowed for comparison where texts are not clear to the reader. also encouraged research into the word and the customs of the era in which the Testaments were written. It is a great advantage to the Gospel to have the Bible in so many translations.

The next translation may be a 'text speak' one, for those who can't write or read english properly. wink
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by Ezeufi: 11:31pm On Oct 21, 2012
seyibrown: The message has not changed, regardless of the various translations.[img][/img][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#990000][/color] Many modern people will not find the KJV language attractive at all or even comprehend most of it. The availability of other versions in plainer English Language has helped people understand the message more. It has allowed for comparison where texts are not clear to the reader. also encouraged research into the word and the customs of the era in which the Testaments were written. It is a great advantage to the Gospel to have the Bible in so many translations.

The next translation may be a 'text speak' one, for those who can't write or read english properly. wink

If one version has 73 books and another version has 66 books, surely the message has not only changed but also purposefully distorted.

1 Like

Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by kefmawin: 12:29am On Oct 22, 2012
No doubt great contributions have been made. But the point should be how has the word of God shaped your life. If the word has not transformed your life, then you need to take a closer look. We must study with a sincere heart and not read it like mere story book because 'the letter kills but the Spirit gives life'(2Cor. 3:6).
The word of God transforms, cleanses, heals. It is quick(alive or active) and powerful, Sharper than two edged sword(Hebrew 4:12).
No doubt some of the translations are matters of semantic while some other translations tend to narrow the meaning of a given passage while some so called translations should be completely avoided if possible.
However, the translation is not the main issue but the heart of the matter is whether you are profiting from the Word of God?
All Scripture is given by the inspiration of God and it is profitable for doctrine(teaching),for reproof for instruction in righteousness...(1Tim. 3:16). It should lead us unto salvation and eternal life. The bible gives us the promise and fulfillment of the Saviour who would save us from our sins(Matthew1:21).
Are you still bound by the power of sin, evil, guilt, oppression or restlessness? The good news is that you do not have to continue in that struggle because a Saviour has borne it all for you at the cross. Just accept Him today and let Him replace your weakness with His strength, your heaviness with His Joy, your restlessness with His peace, your sinfulness with His righteousness(Matthew 11:28). I am talking about Jesus.
The bible has so much to offer us and that is the most important thing to reflect on.
While acknowledging that there are some good translations, I stick to KJV due to its originality and literal translation(NOT paraphrased or summarized).
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by teniyi(m): 3:00am On Oct 22, 2012
Goldenheart: lmao.... grin indeed u re
I understand, a senseless and programmed creatures like you who go about attacking people of NL, pray so that your thinking can be like human. Animal
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by Mariojane(f): 6:11am On Oct 22, 2012
teniyi: The deeper you go, the more confuse you will be. Confusion, confusion and confusion.
73 books in the Catholics Bible, 66 in the Protestant and countless versions.
Confusion.
the reason why Catholics have more passages in their bible(its not even their bible,but they prefer it to oda bible versions) is because good news bible is d most complete bible and oda churches doesn't use it cos according to them, d bible passages that make it more complete was when God left d Israelites in their plight,he neither talk to them or sent a prophet.so they believe their is no need to read it. (if u doubt me,ask ur pastor..i mean real and solid pastor.if possible ur overseer.,that is if they will tell u d truth.so is oda churches re confuse with different bible versions,catholics re not cos they all make use of one version nd that is why we remain one family
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by kampacino(m): 7:02am On Oct 22, 2012
Seriously i dont see christianity as a religion where some gullible followers believes u can only understand bible with spirit so ur pastor can interprete any gush in as much as his spirit of understandin is more than yours.abeg wake up and find something better to do.
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by Goldenheart(m): 8:24am On Oct 22, 2012
teniyi:
I understand, a senseless and programmed creatures like you who go about attacking people of NL, pray so that your thinking can be like human. Animal
that was fun...sorry 4 attacking u, sonny.
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by Goldenheart(m): 8:26am On Oct 22, 2012
Hell is 4real !!! Accept Jesus as your
lord n saviour right now..........he loves you
so much more than u can
imagine, n he doesn't want u to
end up in that horrible place of
eternal torment... Please accept him. Hell is so mean n real.
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by ITbomb(m): 9:27am On Oct 22, 2012
Goldenheart: Hell is 4real !!! Accept Jesus as your
lord n saviour right now..........he loves you
so much more than u can
imagine, n he doesn't want u to
end up in that horrible place of
eternal torment... Please accept him. Hell is so mean n real.
I hate when a suppose christian threaten someone with hellfire to accept Jesus Christ.
Why can't u tell him of the abundant life he will enjoy if he accept Christ or the inheritance or blessings that will follow him if he accept Christ.
Should christians even be concern about hell? If they know they are living in righteousness and guaranteed a place in heaven, paradise or wherever there is bliss
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by DMainMan: 11:00am On Oct 22, 2012
Ezeufi: I didn't know that catholics and protestants have different bibles And neither did I know that there is King James version, New King James Version, New International Version, and other versions.

In fact after knowing that one bible has 73 books and another has 66, now I begin to think that God's word has been tampered with. Either one of them or both of them are NOT from God.

My guy, dere is only one universal HOLY QUR'AN. no distortion as promised from ALLAH. de wil try and try but it can neva b changed. The HOLY QUR'AN is the last book of ALLAH. Previous holy books has been distorted by men for their personal motive. there is so much confusion in christianity. de said Jesus is god, anoda verse; god, anoda; son of man, anoda; crying and begging for his life. aw can your so called god begging and praying. y his he crying (Jesus wept). Who is your god praying to if he is God. your religion is so confused from head to toe. anyone can just kom write his own bible and preach for his own desires. no wonder y u people do bad vices so much and legalise it. only ISLAM abhors d menace and evil in d society today. u want to enjoy in earth excessively and go to paradise without striving towards gud deeds. am sorry for u all cos u av being deceived by your gullible leaders. It is tym for u all to reflect before it is too late

2 Likes

Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by mala052(m): 11:19am On Oct 22, 2012
ask your self again and again,why muslims have only one holy book for over 1400 years?may be each bible has its jesus!

1 Like

Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by seyibrown(f): 11:30am On Oct 22, 2012
Ezeufi:

If one version has 73 books and another version has 66 books, surely the message has not only changed but also purposefully distorted.

Has either the '73 book version' or the '66 book version' declared that the death and resurrection of Jesus and the salvation available by repentance and believing to be invalid?
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by zeemad: 12:06pm On Oct 22, 2012
ALL the present day's bible are full of deceits, since the demise of the original version ''THE HOLY BIBLE'any drunkard slowpoke will just wake up and produce his own version
no wonder there are over 140 versions today and u call that is a true religion?Simply compare it with the ''HOLY QURAN'' for over 1433 years
now it has remain unchanged.Not A SINGLE DOT HAS CHANGED from all these years and it has remain the same in china,bakassi,australia infact all over
the world.My fellow xtian brothers,why not just ponder a little and think like sane humans...how can a child of 4years memorise the whole Holy Quran of 320,015 letters,
77,449 words?WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

1 Like

Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by virus01(m): 12:09pm On Oct 22, 2012
Techwriter: I don't believe a true christian should insult someone. Not even in Nairaland. Jesus said if u call your brother a fool u are in danger of Hell fire Matt 5. Please let's be civil in our approach; we are not Muslims

.... and u just had to prove that by not insulting *only* someOne but the entirety of muslims. I'm a christian by the way.
I hate it when some christians think christianity is like the most peace loving religion in the world. We are humans, all of us no matter the religion. And humans are wicked by default. Christians have killed as much as muslims for no just cause. If ur thinking 'what did u say to deserve this sermon' , well infact I do have so much to say it could fill a whole book, but I'll hold my tongue.
Pls embrace religious tolerance and respect every man and his religion and you'll make the world a better place I promise you.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by navygrl: 1:08pm On Oct 22, 2012
tevinsolt: what different versions of the bible?......at least there are original manuscripts to compare to, i don't think it makes any difference
which original are you referring to. The purged roman version. The more complete yet less used Greek version or the "lost" texts burned by the early roman empire in an attempt to purge the religion and make it a more efficient tool for converting the heathens?
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by Nobody: 2:43pm On Oct 22, 2012
Ezeufi: I didn't know that catholics and protestants have different bibles And neither did I know that there is King James version, New King James Version, New International Version, and other versions.

the additional books in the catholic bible were books wrtten between the return of captivity of the isrealites and the birth of Jesus Christ, the books were not added to the protestant Bible of the people in charge of compiling them weren't sure if they were inspired by God or not and for it not to cause confussion among the non Jews. I stand to be corrected
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by Shine1177: 2:45pm On Oct 22, 2012
It is enhance better understanding.
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by Nobody: 2:48pm On Oct 22, 2012

the additional books in the catholic bible were books wrtten between the return of captivity of the isrealites and the birth of Jesus Christ, the books were not added to the protestant Bible of the people in charge of compiling them weren't sure if they were inspired by God or not and for it not to cause confussion among the non Jews. I stand to be corrected. The Bible is translated into 140 languages not the english translation in 140 versions. Shalom
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by captalex(m): 6:23pm On Oct 22, 2012
ifeness: Any black man with a brain will worry less about the Arab man's manipulative books

man, why would you say such, the fact that you take pride in idol worship should not be enough reason for you to try to intimidate people with your shallow Thoughts.
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by Artemisthe1st(m): 9:47pm On Oct 22, 2012
Martin Luther the heretic said to his disciples "read the bible n the holy spirit will guide you without error".... The next day one of his disciples said to Martin Luther "sir, i read my bible n the holy spirit tells me you are wrong" .... Is it wise to for individuals to explain the bible in their own way.... A lot of ppl read the bible n give different explanations but can the spirit of truth tell a man one thing and another man another thing... when ppl ask me the question of which bible is the correct one or which church is the right one, i usually refer them to job chapter 8:8-10...
V8 look for a moment at ancient wisdom; consider the truths our ancestors (ancestors of christianity ie saints) learnt.
V9 our life is short we know nothing at all; we pass like shadows across the earth.
V10 but let the wise ancestors teach you; listen to what they had to say... smiley
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by newmaonza: 10:27pm On Oct 22, 2012
Life is a whole lot easier without RELIGIOUS RAZMATAzz undecided
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by Nobody: 11:23pm On Oct 22, 2012
Artemisthe1st: Martin Luther the heretic said to his disciples "read the bible n the holy spirit will guide you without error".... The next day one of his disciples said to Martin Luther "sir, i read my bible n the holy spirit tells me you are wrong" .... Is it wise to for individuals to explain the bible in their own way.... A lot of ppl read the bible n give different explanations but can the spirit of truth tell a man one thing and another man another thing... when ppl ask me the question of which bible is the correct one or which church is the right one, i usually refer them to job chapter 8:8-10...
V8 look for a moment at ancient wisdom; consider the truths our ancestors (ancestors of christianity ie saints) learnt.
V9 our life is short we know nothing at all; we pass like shadows across the earth.
V10 but let the wise ancestors teach you; listen to what they had to say... smiley
he can give several meanings to a word but not to lead to confusion
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by kefmawin: 1:16am On Oct 23, 2012
kefmawin: No doubt great contributions have been made. But the point should be how has the word of God shaped your life. If the word has not transformed your life, then you need to take a closer look. We must study with a sincere heart and not read it like mere story book because 'the letter kills but the Spirit gives life'(2Cor. 3:6).
The word of God transforms, cleanses, heals. It is quick(alive or active) and powerful, Sharper than two edged sword(Hebrew 4:12).
No doubt some of the translations are matters of semantic while some other translations tend to narrow the meaning of a given passage while some so called translations should be completely avoided if possible.
However, the translation is not the main issue but the heart of the matter is whether you are profiting from the Word of God?
All Scripture is given by the inspiration of God and it is profitable for doctrine(teaching),for reproof for instruction in righteousness...(1Tim. 3:16). It should lead us unto salvation and eternal life. The bible gives us the promise and fulfillment of the Saviour who would save us from our sins(Matthew1:21).
Are you still bound by the power of sin, evil, guilt, oppression or restlessness? The good news is that you do not have to continue in that struggle because a Saviour has borne it all for you at the cross. Just accept Him today and let Him replace your weakness with His strength, your heaviness with His Joy, your restlessness with His peace, your sinfulness with His righteousness(Matthew 11:28). I am talking about Jesus.
The bible has so much to offer us and that is the most important thing to reflect on.
While acknowledging that there are some good translations, I stick to KJV due to its originality and literal translation(NOT paraphrased or summarized).
It is obvious that there is great display of ignorance as many people just make comment on what they no nothing about. Once again the heart of the matter is how much you have personally profited from God's word.
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; fear God...(Ecc 12:13). If you are in doubt of the word of God sincerely ask God to reveal the truth to you. I assure you that God will not deny a sincere seeker.

1 Like

Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by italo: 6:59am On Oct 23, 2012
Artemisthe1st: Martin Luther the heretic said to his disciples "read the bible n the holy spirit will guide you without error".... The next day one of his disciples said to Martin Luther "sir, i read my bible n the holy spirit tells me you are wrong" .... Is it wise to for individuals to explain the bible in their own way.... A lot of ppl read the bible n give different explanations but can the spirit of truth tell a man one thing and another man another thing... when ppl ask me the question of which bible is the correct one or which church is the right one, i usually refer them to job chapter 8:8-10...

When you say "ancestors of Christianity," do you mean The Catholic Church?
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by ayduamah: 12:45am On Oct 24, 2012
Illuminati has nothing to do wt translations etc,can we not dwell in the ignorance promoted by new media
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by Artemisthe1st(m): 8:49pm On Oct 27, 2012
Tundeiknow: he can give several meanings to a word but not to lead to confusion
If we all had the same meaning we'd all be going to the same church, but we have different meanings and dz has led to confusion, u see how Satan triumphed over 500 yrs ago... U see, just as God does not sleep, Satan does not rest until he has soiled d doctrines n traditions of the true church
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by Artemisthe1st(m): 8:53pm On Oct 27, 2012
italo:

When you say "ancestors of Christianity," do you mean The Catholic Church?
I didn't call the name of any church... That's left for u to decide
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by italo: 9:34pm On Oct 27, 2012
Artemisthe1st:
I didn't call the name of any church... That's left for u to decide

Sorry Sir! I just wanted to know exactly what you meant. I don't know if that is too much to ask.
Re: How Has The Different Versions Of The Bible Affected You & Christianity by Artemisthe1st(m): 8:55am On Oct 29, 2012
italo:

Sorry Sir! I just wanted to know exactly what you meant. I don't know if that is too much to ask.
My apologies, if i were a it unwelcoming... The only church which can trace its roots from Christ is the catholic church.... Surprisingly despite all their traditions, doctrines n teachings look strange to 20th century people, they've actually bn practiced for 2000 years.... During those 2000years, they've bn lots of opposition to the church but they've always continued to survive up till dis day... The scriptures tell us that Christ said to Peter "Peter, u r the rock n on this rock i will build my church n the gates of hell shall never prevail over it... My emphasis is on those words " the gates of hell shall never prevail over it" we have hundreds of Christian denominations but how do we know which church Christ was referring to... Dts where the wisdom of job comes in job8:8-10...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yoruba Concept Of Heaven / Interesting Conversation Between A Muslim And Christians / 8 Important Ways God's Mercy Can Save Us From The Destroyer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.