Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,297 members, 7,811,887 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:20 PM

Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* (18871 Views)

Photo: What A South African Said About Nigerian Pastors / Pope US Visit Proves Nigerian Pastors Wrong!!! / Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by AjanleKoko: 2:34pm On Oct 07, 2012
I am fully behind the Nigerian Pentecostal pastors. They know the Nigerian problem very well, and they put their energy into encouraging people to be aspirational.
They're also selling their product using the incentive that will matter most to their audience. That in itself isn't a problem. Of course there are a few bad eggs like Reverend King, or some other nutters. But the majority are a force for good. Not only the likes of Adeboye and Oyedepo, even TB Joshua.

In fact, I'd say that overall the Pentecostal pastors have a positive impact on the populace. Take them away, and Nigeria would be a highly suicidal nation. They are the only people that sell hope, and also build the props to support their sales pitch. Imagine, even armed robbers fear pastors, and go to them for prayers. Armed robbers don't even fear elected government officials. Doesn't that tell you something?

Even most Moslem organizations are taking pages out of the Pentecostal playbook. Why would you want to copy a model that doesn't work? I think we need to keep them around; they help to calm down the populace, and provide some sort of psychological succor to a battered people.

A lot of us are obviously not aware that the Western governments regularly enlist the use of religious men and self-help experts. Scotland a few years back hired Yehuda Shindar, an Israeli motivational expert, to help change the overall negative outlook of Scottish people. The English rugby team hired the same gentleman, and it helped them win the 2003 Rugby World cup.

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Leobreezy(m): 2:35pm On Oct 07, 2012
Na wa o. Bt hav u noticed how churches are increasing in prolific numbers and with silly names? In my area there are about 7 churches in one street!! Gosh, u can imagine the cacophony that fills the air every sunday!!
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Dsage1: 2:36pm On Oct 07, 2012
Many Churches of these days are noting but business organization.

In my own view,they tells what people are always ready to hear. PROSPERITY.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by pearlhapi(f): 2:37pm On Oct 07, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Enough with this Jehovah Witness is the best crapola.

How a church which churns out the most miserable looking....miserable existing set of people ever seen can be touted as the best in anything. . . is beyond me. undecided

Deeper Life and Jehovah witness should only be brought up when the discourse is about how to turn people off Christianity. Those two churches make a very strong case for that topic.
food for thought
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by omicron(m): 2:38pm On Oct 07, 2012
You may also try the Catholic Church. It will give u the much needed BALANCE between prosperity and contentment, but not materialism.....

2 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by ITbomb(m): 2:42pm On Oct 07, 2012
Pastor Kun:

Contentment within the context of scriptures means we shouldn't be greedy or overtly materialistic. It doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to better our lot.
Definition of terms?
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by solgee(m): 2:42pm On Oct 07, 2012
hmmmmmmm!
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Leobreezy(m): 2:43pm On Oct 07, 2012
There was this "pastor" who was always screaming at the top of his lungs "sow ur seed today and God will embarrass u with blessings tomorrow" 5 months later, he bought an audi 80 car while members of his church were still trekking. How is that logical?

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by SisiKill1: 2:45pm On Oct 07, 2012
AjanleKoko: I am fully behind the Nigerian Pentecostal pastors. They know the Nigerian problem very well, and they put their energy into encouraging people to be aspirational.
They're also selling their product using the incentive that will matter most to their audience. That in itself isn't a problem. Of course there are a few bad eggs like Reverend King, or some other nutters. But the majority are a force for good. Not only the likes of Adeboye and Oyedepo, even TB Joshua.

In fact, I'd say that overall the Pentecostal pastors have a positive impact on the populace. Take them away, and Nigeria would be a highly suicidal nation. They are the only people that sell hope, and also build the props to support their sales pitch. Imagine, even armed robbers fear pastors, and go to them for prayers. Armed robbers don't even fear elected government officials. Doesn't that tell you something?

Even most Moslem organizations are taking pages out of the Pentecostal playbook. Why would you want to copy a model that doesn't work? I think we need to keep them around; they help to calm down the populace, and provide some sort of psychological succor to a battered people.

A lot of us are obviously not aware that the Western governments regularly enlist the use of religious men and self-help experts. Scotland a few years back hired Yehuda Shindar, an Israeli motivational expert, to help change the overall negative outlook of Scottish people. The English rugby team hired the same gentleman, and it helped them win the 2003 Rugby World cup.

This post is brought to you by The Sheeples Against the Defamation Of Our Papas and Daddies Inc

Sayth the Pastors - We are the Jet Hopping, Hummer Riding, D&G wearing, Winch Slapping Men of God and we approve this message.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by plappville(f): 2:46pm On Oct 07, 2012
So many people are blind with Matthew 7:1, They misqoute verses to promote the greeds of these MOG.

Yesterday, my sister was telling me what thier pastor usually do, He will call out tithers to come forward for blessing prayers.
How does He want the others to feel? yet some Christians will come here and qoute the above verse.

That pastor is evil an doer He should be approached with the word of God for correction.

1 CORINTHIANS 5:12-13
12For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? 13God judges those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.

What an important exercise in order to keep evil out from the ranks of belivers in the church. (Pastors)are not excluded,that means we have to continually evaluate the doctrines "preached", and methods used within the "structure" of the church.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by vislabraye(m): 2:46pm On Oct 07, 2012
Contentment is key. That's one of the reason xtianity in Naija is lacking depth.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by AjanleKoko: 2:46pm On Oct 07, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

This post is brought to you by The Sheeples Against the Defamation Of Our Papas and Daddies Inc

Sayth the Pastors - We are the Jet Hopping, Hummer Riding, D&G wearing, Winch Slapping Men of God and we approve this message.

LOL. cheesy
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by honeric01(m): 2:48pm On Oct 07, 2012
Maybe because the people themselves love to hear lies and not what should be told them?
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by plappville(f): 2:49pm On Oct 07, 2012
Leobreezy: Na wa o. Bt hav u noticed how churches are increasing in prolific numbers and with silly names? In my area there are about 7 churches in one street!! Gosh, u can imagine the cacophony that fills the air every sunday!!

Na so the ones like RCG, DLBC, COGM etc....all of them started like this...from clap to danse grin grin
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by AjanleKoko: 2:52pm On Oct 07, 2012
honeric01: Maybe because the people themselves love to hear lies and not what should be told them?

More like broken people like to blame the system for their problems.
At least no be spirit dey attend those churches. So who are these people complaining exactly? Nobody stopped anybody from going on a 100-day fast and prayer exercise, to find God by yourself. And nobody forced anybody to go to any church.

I am impressed by these churches. They seem to be the only Nigerian-oriented organizations that have made the successful transition to MNCs. I mean, look at the likes of Ibru stealing from themselves. Somehow these churches have kept it going, and keep breaking new grounds. I respect them, considering that none of these pastors have a Harvard MBA and they are still able to achieve what they have wink
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Nobody: 2:53pm On Oct 07, 2012
nenergy: I believe in the bible, it is the pilgrim’s map and the Wikipedia of Christianity. But it is sad to notice that (Nigerian) pastor only preach what “sells”. Go to churches and all you hear is preaching on increase, overflow and divine multiplication. Increase is good and but what of contentment? 1 Tim 6:6 says; “but godliness with contentment is great gain.” So why don’t pastors preach it? This one-sided preaching has led to the abuse of the pulpit. “Open heavens offering”, “first fruit offering”, “challenge God offering”, “seed of faith offering” etc

Listen, “Give, and it shall be given unto you” doesn’t mean that God is a Micro-Finance bank that gives return on investments. The last I checked, God stills loves a cheerful giver o.” So I challenge you, if your pastor has ever preached contentment, give me the church address and I will become a member (I am currently searching for a purpose driven church to worship with). Jesus was content, the apostles were content, and Paul was content, so why don’t Nigerian pastors preach contentment?
Happy Sunday!!!
Yeah, you are very right, we should be contented with our mediocre lives. If man was contented with face to face communication, there would be no PC, mobile phone Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd internet for you to say this today.

You should take an in-depth look at the lives of the people in the bible that made such remarks, they were all filthy rich but material gain wasn't their objective Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd never really mentioned it. Jesus was not an average person, He was rich, likewise His disciples-how do you think they funded their evangelism. When Jesus needed transportation Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd a room †☺ fulfil all righteousness, He went f̶̲̥̅̊☺я the best.

Truly some pastors take it far but we should never be contented with a mediocre life. God did not give us a mediocre life, we are of a godly heritage, a peculiar breed, the lines are fallen unto us in pleasant places. We are joint heirs with Jesus Christ Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd He became poor that we may be rich.

Please run away from a mediocre life, there Iڪ no happiness there. Do not be deceived. As a matter of fact, I believe the quoted passage was indirectly asking Christians not †☺ be covetous. Let ♍ε̲̣̣̣ confirm Ǎ̜̣̍Ϟd get back.

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by SisiKill1: 2:54pm On Oct 07, 2012
plappville: So many people are blind with Matthew 7:1, They misqoute verses to promote the greeds of these MOG.

Yesterday, my sister was telling me what thier pastor usually do, He will call out tithers to come forward for blessing prayers.
How does He want the others to feel? yet some Christians will come here and qoute the above verse.

That pastor is evil an doer He should be approached with the word of God for correction.

1 CORINTHIANS 5:12-13
12For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? 13God judges those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.

What an important exercise in order to keep evil out from the ranks of belivers in the church. (Pastors)are not excluded,that means we have to continually evaluate the doctrines "preached", and methods used within the "structure" of the church.
Is it only calling to tithers to the front for special prayers? What about sending you reminder that you haven't paid your tithes for soso month or called to wait behind after service? And some people want us to believe Tithes paying is anonymous.

AjanleKoko:

LOL. cheesy

grin grin
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Leobreezy(m): 2:56pm On Oct 07, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Enough with this Jehovah Witness is the best crapola.

How a church which churns out the most miserable looking....miserable existing set of people ever seen can be touted as the best in anything. . . is beyond me. undecided

Deeper Life and Jehovah witness should only be brought up when the discourse is about how to turn people off Christianity. Those two churches make a very strong case for that topic.
And do u think dat d true church can be identified by how financially prosperous it is? If dats so, then Jesus and his disciples would have been millionaires and would hav built mansions, but did they? People will always run to places dat offer a phantasm of opulence. D scenario taking place today is even in d bible. When Jesus told a rich man to sell his belongings and become his follower, what did the rich man do? My dear, the fact dat they may look so simplistic doesn't make them miserable. On the contrary, they are even happier than most of us bcuz dey don't hav 2 worry about d latest clothes or gadgets and live extravagant lives. What kind of life did Jesus live and why is He our exemplar? Food for thought.

4 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by free2ryhme: 2:59pm On Oct 07, 2012
becos some of them would be shooting themselves in the f33t or you want make church scatter
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Whobedatte(m): 3:00pm On Oct 07, 2012
Leobreezy: To be very candid, the only church that seems humble and complacent with living a simple life are the Jehovah's witnesses. Along with that, they are the only ones who take the burden to preach like Jesus did earning them the nickname "bag carriers". Many pastors and christians can't even do half of what they are doing. If you disprove of this, please state your cogent reasons.
DEEPAER LIFE, APOSTOLIC FAITH CHURCH ARE ALSO PERFECT EXAMPLES!
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by SisiKill1: 3:16pm On Oct 07, 2012
Leobreezy: People will always run to places dat offer a phantasm of opulence. D story is even in d bible. When Jesus told a rich man to become his follower, what did he do? My dear the fact dat they may look so simplistic doesn't make them miserable. On the contrary they are even happier than most of us bcuz dey don't hav 2 worry about d latest clothes or gadgets. What kind of life did Jesus live and why is He our exemplar? Food for thought.

Are you sure it is contentment? Are you really sure about that? Coz I gotta tell ya, from where I am standing it doesn't look it. These people are miserable, you should see them in gatherings that aren't 100% their church members. They crawl into their shells, can't have a normal conversation without fidgeting, they are socially awkward and you can tell they feel out of place, there is no denying the sense of inferiority complex that washes over them when they are with other people....it is so pathetic to watch.

And the children....God the yearning in their faces when they see things that other children have but they have been deprived of. How's that a content life?

Not saying people should become gluttonous but please there is a middle ground between having 10 cars and living in borderline abject poverty.

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by SisiKill1: 3:22pm On Oct 07, 2012
Leobreezy: And do u think dat d true church can be identified by how financially prosperous it is?
Bros read my posts very well abeg...coz it seems you've lost the plot.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by AjanleKoko: 3:24pm On Oct 07, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Are you sure it is contentment? Are you really sure about that? Coz I gotta tell ya, from where I am standing it doesn't look it. These people are miserable, you should see them in gatherings that aren't 100% their church members. They crawl into their shells, can't have a normal conversation without fidgeting, they are socially awkward and you can tell they feel out of place, there is no denying the sense of inferiority complex that washes over them when they are with other people....it is so pathetic to watch.

And the children....God the yearning in their faces when they see things that other children have but they have been deprived of. How's that a content life?

Not saying people should become gluttonous but please there is a middle ground between having 10 cars and living in borderline abject poverty.

Of a truth, a lot of people that attend those churches are miserable and hostile to others. Back in Uni days, you dare not show up in any tutorial that was run by the Deeper Life brethren. They will kick you out. Chickens kinda came home to roost during masters. Nobody, not even lecturers, send anybody. In research, you need to have information, and I was the only person in the class then with constant access to Internet, as well as a job. I didn't pay them back in kind sha wink
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by kreamstaff: 3:27pm On Oct 07, 2012
Op I understand your grouse, but contrary to what you think, besides preaching the prosperity gospel, many of the churches you intend to condemn actually preach on contentment at times like a poster from winners chapel mentioned earlier.

However, I would like to refer you to the parable of the 3 servants with the talents. God expects you to develop on what u have to become a greater blessing to yourself, your generation and especially for His glory in a world where the Devils kids seem to have taken all that belongs to God's children and made them a laughing stock. For the Earth is the Lords and the fullness thereof.

To be content and not aim for higher or greater things is a choice you can take, but I asure you, those who aim for higher are able to bear more fruits while those who don't bear as a result of limitations they intentionally chose not to overcome are cut off.

Note that wealth in the hands of a truly righteous man is a vehicle for the propagation of the gospel as well as an avenue of blessing to the poor.

We Christians have been called not only to be blessed but most importantly to be a blessing morally, spiritually and financially to others.

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Leobreezy(m): 3:27pm On Oct 07, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

Did u say they are anti-social? My dear, hav u seen a 6 yr old J-wit boy preaching to an adult? Mehn, when it comes to public speaking they are the best, they even excel better dan others in the classroom. And mind u they aren't poor pernurious people. Hav u been to one of their assemblies b4? Hav u seen the nice decent attires they wear? Don't knw about deeper life, bt hav u entered the home of a J-wit before? Abeg, when it comes to public speaking without fear and living a simple but complacent life, they are A+ . Don't generalise, u may hav met only one or two peeps who seem to feed frm hand to mouth bt don't all churches hav people like dat. D fact dat they walk with bags around doesn't mean dey don't hav cars to drive or air-conditioned houses to relax in. It just shows dat they are humble, self-abasing people, a sharp contrast to most pastors and xtians today.

4 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Williamfors(m): 3:31pm On Oct 07, 2012
if we can tell yourself the truth jehova's witness is the best church, they are the only church that preach the truth from the bible and there are contentment. apart from them, any other church or pastors is looking money to buy privet jet and human respect .
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by babaowo: 3:32pm On Oct 07, 2012
some do preach it,but its seems they preach prosperity more often....... everybody should be able to read and understand bible instead, May God help us all...
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by BabaAlaji(m): 3:32pm On Oct 07, 2012
@ OP, try Islam.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 07, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

THIS!!!
Rib-breaking stuff. . .
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by victorian(f): 3:33pm On Oct 07, 2012
I am someone that believes in reality and practical issues. One thing that saddens my heart about this country, the churches, and Pastors especially. Cos Pastors are like role models to alot of people, and they all preach prosperity and acquiring more wealth in life, which is good though. But it should be balanced with awakening people's conscience on what is good and bad. And that what people sow, so shall they reap.. alot of people will say they are aware of good and bad ways, but i bet u they are not aware, they are simply floating inbetween. The best people i have been opportuned, blessed to meet and interact with are people who are not church fanatics, but people who realistic, practical, truthful and down to earth,go to church once in a while and without adding bible verses to every statement they make. As more churches springs up, the society is becoming treacherous and all man for himself.Now, with this mindset, how will the country, people progress?
Its so sad, sha...the way Some pastors in majority, are misleading the congregation for their own selfish needs. God, will judge them all, amen!
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Areaboy2(m): 3:36pm On Oct 07, 2012
The subject of this thread is on my top five list of reasons "why I became an atheist" undecided
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by kpolli(m): 3:36pm On Oct 07, 2012
This OP is just looking for a reason not to go to church. . . . Most good pastors tell u to "thank God" for what He has provided and pray for more. . . . Or your saying God's goal for you is the 2k in ur account?? It's not as if they are telling you to steal. . . They are just telling you to ask your Father for more not go and use occultic means to gain more.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

. / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / What's Your Longest Period Of Fasting And How Was It Accomplished?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.