Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,905 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* (18873 Views)

Photo: What A South African Said About Nigerian Pastors / Pope US Visit Proves Nigerian Pastors Wrong!!! / Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by dasparrow: 6:26pm On Oct 07, 2012
@Post

How can Nigerian pastors preach contentment when many Nigerian Christians worship the god of materialism and money? This lack of content is what leads to greed which in turn leads to other evil devices. The average Nigerian is never content. Even if God blesses most Nigerians with 50 mansions, 100 cars and a lot of money in the bank, most Nigerians will still nag and want more.

Is this not why our politicians can never seem to get enough no matter how much money they loot from the public coffers? I am blessed to be worshiping in a very good christian church here in the states that is preparing we the congregants spiritually for these last days we are in. My pastor has been encouraging the congregation to reach out to the poor, the broken spirited, the lonely, the single mothers, the elderly and many more.

We are partnering with other churches within our city to start a feeding program because believe or not, there are many hungry and poverty stricken people here in america too. We are also handing out prayer request cards to people in our various communities and in our places of employment so that people can fill them out with their prayer requests and hand it back to us so that we keep praying for that person until Jehovah God answers the prayer.

Now that is what I call a Holy Spirit filled church. I look forward to church all the time because I can't do without that spiritual food that I get through the sermon, the spirit filled praise worship by our wonderful choir and so on. I used to go to a Nigerian church but I left because I did not like what was going on there and I vowed never to attend a Nigerian church again.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Sagamite(m): 6:28pm On Oct 07, 2012
Adamo84: You dont have to use vulgar or bad statements like the once up there before you make a point. SMH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCmJUiidu9k&
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Medley(m): 6:34pm On Oct 07, 2012
Nigerians, do not forget dat every thing that is good is sometimes dominated by the evil men do. Why not see the good aspect of pastorship, am quite sure dat churches dont use guns to collect money.

If you go to any church and they are asking for money and u dont want to give kindly seat happily. The givers themselve hardly complain cos they keep getting more it is the poor minded and poverty ridden.

If assuming i take u to a scanty church, with wooden walls and lack of instruments to worship since no funds and yet the pastor preaches contentment i doubt u wuld stay there, same person will be looking for where all is perfect and lots of members females well dressed beautifully u forget the church money goes into all these.

Stop all this rants and give if u av and undastand what giving is all about then will u recieve
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by milliams(m): 6:38pm On Oct 07, 2012
This is a very good topic. We should all know that is a world of dynamism. What face u is backing other people. It is all depends on the well. God wants us to prosper but withing certain limit of our capacity, potential and creativity (contentment) and use such prosperity to help humans' (fellow humans')that is what posterity is all about.

This is what some motivational speakers preaches and backing it with bible verses. God does not want anyone to contact the devil and his agents for prosperity, be contented within your means. Don't go DEMONICALLY VIRAL because of wealth acquisition. Mind u, whn u eventually die, u won't be bury with anything but just a cloth for temporal cover.

This has nothing to do with any pastors, immam or what have you. We all have God inside us (Conscience!) that tell us (RIGHT OR WRONG), we are only looking whom to hold responsible. Yoruba adage,"a wicked person knew his/her wickedness, S/he is just looking for who to tell him/her"
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by jeron1(m): 6:39pm On Oct 07, 2012
Join mi @ MFM if u want contentment preachin...
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by nenergy(m): 6:45pm On Oct 07, 2012
There is difference between needs and wants. some guys one this thread have sowing seed for moto, while they are still leaving in their parents house. some with sow their Bold 2 with the hope of getting Empathy.lol
Phil 4:19 "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus". God's thought towards are of Good. So i don't need to transact business with God. Seek ye first!!!!

@pastorKun There is a Church of Christ in my area. i'll worship.. thanks.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by kunletech: 6:56pm On Oct 07, 2012
7:37am
I believe in the bible, it is the pilgrim’s
map and the Wikipedia of Christianity. But
it is sad to notice that (Nigerian) pastor
only preach what “ sells”. Go to churches
and all you hear is preaching on increase,
overflow and divine multiplication.
Increase is good and but what of
contentment? 1 Tim 6:6 says; “ but
godliness with contentment is great
gain .” So why don’t pastors preach it?
This one-sided preaching has led to the
abuse of the pulpit. “Open heavens
offering”, “first fruit offering”, “challenge
God offering”, “seed of faith offering” etc
Listen, “Give, and it shall be given unto
you” doesn’t mean that God is a Micro-
Finance bank that gives return on
investments. The last I checked, God stills
loves a cheerful giver o.” So I challenge
you, if your pastor has ever preached
contentment, give me the church address
and I will become a member (I am
currently searching for a purpose driven
church to worship with). Jesus was
content, the apostles were content, and
Paul was content, so why don’t Nigerian
pastors preach contentment?
Happy Sunday!

Is a natural thing, human can't be contemted with wealth, because d day u are contemted, d day u start deminshing.
Have you attended all d churches in nigeria or you have done your research b4 concluding that all pastor are not preaching contenment or you just wanted to criticise?

Are u contemted?
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by PastorKun(m): 6:58pm On Oct 07, 2012
Bobbysworld28: Pastor Kun dt verse talks abt those in d ministry simply for wht they can gain. It doesn't even remotely imply dt poverty is exclusively for xtians. It also buttresses my point abt Pastors using ppls greed against them.
Hw can u preach a salvation dt cannot help ppl out of their present issues? Get rich God's way & help ppl along with ur wealth. Ur wealth should be a tool & nt ur master. Stop spreading falsehood because we can do much more for the Gospel with money.
If d ppl under the law can be rich by obeying d law, hw much more those living under Grace?

Apart from the fact that you owe me an apology for the unwarranted insults you earlier spewed, I never in my statement said christians should be poor. All I said is that prosperity gospel is not a true christian teaching. Christians can be rich or poor, it as nothing to do with the message of the gospel and those who are implying it does thru their own human thinking should know that they are poisoning the true gospel.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Nobody: 7:06pm On Oct 07, 2012
So wht is d true gospel as u term it? Sorry for d insults but reading wht u spew leaves much to be desired. I hv read u over time & u leave much to be desired. So maybe d insults r wrong but u make unguarded statements
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Dipwater(m): 7:11pm On Oct 07, 2012
My broda a well refined man does nt go to church

Dedicate ur sundays to reading and making research,read all book like the bible,koran etc

Sit down in a quite place and meditate on the things u have studied

By doing this u will find true happiness.use ur tithe and offering money to enjoy ur self,u can invite ur girl friend and have a blissful sunday.I tell it works like the talisman of india

The day I dumped religion was wen I started having rest of mind.do not be deceived by all this fake naija pastors,life is swit and sex is not a sin .cureing is very gud for the body system. @op I think u deserve a bl/ow job this luvly sunday evening. Thank u

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Peterpan1(m): 8:02pm On Oct 07, 2012
Thank God for your life,in revealing dis message 2 us,bt i think u did'nt do ur homework well enough,d theme for d diocese of lagos west(anglican communion)for d year 2012 is Godliness with Contentment.i tim 6:6,so all you need 2 do is look for a bible believing church and attend,may God save us from d darts of false preaching.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by plappville(f): 8:07pm On Oct 07, 2012
Baba Alaji: @ OP, try Islam.

What? !!! The first religion to be distroyed by God? a doctrine that totally rejected Christ shocked shocked shocked

You no try at all!!!
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Eddy4701: 8:07pm On Oct 07, 2012
I live here in the Netherlands and you all need to see what those Nigerian pastors are doing here in the name of God.They tell the people about what they want to hear,God is going to buy you a new car,God is going to give you a wife like J.Lo,but first you have to plant a seed.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 07, 2012
@op, never judge a church by the activities of a few pple. D G.Os you are talking about have made many wealthy. Mind you, if the Church is expanding & needs a bigger venue, should d pastor do it alone? Should he decorate the church from his own purse & the members will come sit down, listen to the man with bills behind talk? I can't voyage for other churches buh where I worship, we are told the hard truth, if u dnt like it, use the door. & have u had any experience where it is by force 4 u 2 give?!?.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by PastorKun(m): 8:19pm On Oct 07, 2012
Bobbysworld28: So wht is d true gospel as u term it? Sorry for d insults but reading wht u spew leaves much to be desired. I hv read u over time & u leave much to be desired. So maybe d insults r wrong but u make unguarded statements

The true gospel is about the eternal salvation of mankind. Which is reconciling man back to God. Preachers that preach prosperity gospel preach it to draw crowd by telling people what they want to hear and not necessarily gospel truths.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 07, 2012
most pastors are crooks,just like their congregation,nigerians,most,practice fake and shallow christainity,a case of the blind leading the blind
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by EXCELLENCEAbia: 8:23pm On Oct 07, 2012
this is end time i dont know why we are leting this issue take our precious time. mtt 24 says that on the last day this things will arise. must of them are not neither called nor sent. bible said that kingdom will not devide its self so how will they defile their kingdom by setting your mind on the positive path. amend your ways be in right term with God and read your bible to learn more because if you didn't make it @ last they will not be held. know this there doing their works and fulfiling the scripture.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Aifey(m): 8:39pm On Oct 07, 2012
Let d truth b told. The bible is so confused. It tels us a different thing her and another there. Christianity is so confused. They kn tht this secret tht y they are jobin people. Oyedekpo, onyakilome, adeboye et al are No differnt 4rm an average yahoo boy.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 07, 2012
x-fire:

As a christian, you should not forsake the fellowship of other believers. It's very key in spiritual growth. Christianity is about selflessness, love, fellowship, encouraging and sharing. Spirituality is polished when one is amongst believers. You see one another's strengths and weaknesses, and you strengthen one another to grow.

Try that in Damaturu.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Actionleap: 9:43pm On Oct 07, 2012
I recommend Daystar christian Centre. That's the first church I saw that nobody is harassed for money. Offering is only once and if you don't give, nobody would notice. In fact, one day, Pastor Sam Adeyemi counsels members not to give all their money to the church, that God is not a money-doubler. He advise members to invest in good shares and property. For more good teaching too, visit www.livinseeds.org
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by maasoap(m): 9:46pm On Oct 07, 2012
nenergy:
Please! Please!! This is not a thread for idol worshippers or religious extremist!
Like you have forgotten how you and your likes (christian enthusiasts) always swarm, hijack and derail threads opened by muslims for muslims or, about Islam.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by fakinware: 10:01pm On Oct 07, 2012
Pls visit Sovereign Grace Bible Church. It's located in Ikeja; opposite the railway crossing along Agege Motorway. You'll hear about Christ and Him crucified, how to live a godly life and the tenets of the Christian faith.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Goldenheart(m): 10:11pm On Oct 07, 2012
most of u re so lost......the devil seems
to gain ground here
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Phrankin(m): 10:17pm On Oct 07, 2012
"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables." (2 Timothy 4:3-4).
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Anvaller: 10:19pm On Oct 07, 2012
AjanleKoko: I am fully behind the Nigerian Pentecostal pastors. They know the Nigerian problem very well, and they put their energy into encouraging people to be aspirational.
They're also selling their product using the incentive that will matter most to their audience. That in itself isn't a problem. Of course there are a few bad eggs like Reverend King, or some other nutters. But the majority are a force for good. Not only the likes of Adeboye and Oyedepo, even TB Joshua.

In fact, I'd say that overall the Pentecostal pastors have a positive impact on the populace. Take them away, and Nigeria would be a highly suicidal nation. They are the only people that sell hope, and also build the props to support their sales pitch. Imagine, even armed robbers fear pastors, and go to them for prayers. Armed robbers don't even fear elected government officials. Doesn't that tell you something?

Even most Moslem organizations are taking pages out of the Pentecostal playbook. Why would you want to copy a model that doesn't work? I think we need to keep them around; they help to calm down the populace, and provide some sort of psychological succor to a battered people.

A lot of us are obviously not aware that the Western governments regularly enlist the use of religious men and self-help experts. Scotland a few years back hired Yehuda Shindar, an Israeli motivational expert, to help change the overall negative outlook of Scottish people. The English rugby team hired the same gentleman, and it helped them win the 2003 Rugby World cup.

Well, u made a few points, good analysis but what about the points that u did not make? Was it deliberate?
Don't u know that the same hope they continue to offer is the reason why Nigerians are redundant? All we know how to do is continue to hope endlessly. Is that not stupid? And u think its a good thing? Any serious nation would think, strategize and practically implement the strategy. U are 100% mistaken to have thought that Nigeria would go suicidal in the absence of Pastors or let lets say clergies. Infact, the moment Nigerians realize their irrelevance is when the country would start moving forward... I would tell u why... the mode of their hope would change from hoping without content to hoping with content. When the ppl start to believe less in miracles and more in hard work, realistic approach to problem solving then they can hope on that. Nigerians need to start thinking.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by AjanleKoko: 10:24pm On Oct 07, 2012
Anvaller:

Well, u made a few points, good analysis but what about the points that u did not make? Was it deliberate?
Don't u know that the same hope they continue to offer is the reason why Nigerians are redundant? All we know how to do is continue to hope endlessly. Is that not stupid? And u think its a good thing? Any serious nation would think, strategize and practically implement the strategy. U are 100% mistaken to have thought that Nigeria would go suicidal in the absence of Pastors or let lets say clergies. Infact, the moment Nigerians realize their irrelevance is when the country would start moving forward... I would tell u why... the mode of their hope would change from hoping without content to hoping with content. When the ppl start to believe less in miracles and more in hard work, realistic approach to problem solving then they can hope on that. Nigerians need to start thinking.

Bros, nobody hold the people.
Come to think of it sef, it's prolly only about 30% of Nigerians that attend these churches. Maybe less. What about the other 70%
Why are they not working hard and 'strategize-ing'?
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by nenergy(m): 10:34pm On Oct 07, 2012
dasparrow: @Post

How can Nigerian pastors preach contentment when many Nigerian Christians worship the god of materialism and money? This lack of content is what leads to greed which in turn leads to other evil devices. The average Nigerian is never content. Even if God blesses most Nigerians with 50 mansions, 100 cars and a lot of money in the bank, most Nigerians will still nag and want more.

Is this not why our politicians can never seem to get enough no matter how much money they loot from the public coffers? I am blessed to be worshiping in a very good christian church here in the states that is preparing we the congregants spiritually for these last days we are in. My pastor has been encouraging the congregation to reach out to the poor, the broken spirited, the lonely, the single mothers, the elderly and many more.

We are partnering with other churches within our city to start a feeding program because believe or not, there are many hungry and poverty stricken people here in america too. We are also handing out prayer request cards to people in our various communities and in our places of employment so that people can fill them out with their prayer requests and hand it back to us so that we keep praying for that person until Jehovah God answers the prayer.

Now that is what I call a Holy Spirit filled church. I look forward to church all the time because I can't do without that spiritual food that I get through the sermon, the spirit filled praise worship by our wonderful choir and so on. I used to go to a Nigerian church but I left because I did not like what was going on there and I vowed never to attend a Nigerian church again.
Now that's christ in action. A purpose driven church.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by God2man(m): 10:35pm On Oct 07, 2012
It is a typical nairaland topic, not suprise, bashing Nigerian churches and Men of God.

I hope one day, people will find out the truth.

God bless you.
God2man.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Anvaller: 10:40pm On Oct 07, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Enough with this Jehovah Witness is the best crapola.

How a church which churns out the most miserable looking....miserable existing set of people ever seen can be touted as the best in anything. . . is beyond me. undecided

Deeper Life and Jehovah witness should only be brought up when the discourse is about how to turn people off Christianity. Those two churches make a very strong case for that topic.

Hey, if u have limited ur points on that they turn ppl off Christianity and expound on how, it would have been okay. But I consider it a sheer exhibition of arrogance if you call their looks and existence miserable. Note! I don't entirely believe that u are arrogant cos sometimes we do things without being conscious of the fact that it is wrong. The fact is that everything still boils down to our miserable country. If Nigeria was a nation that takes care of the ppl, has good social security and gives job to the jobless, I don't think anyone's look or existence would be miserable irrespective of their religious belief. I want to see a Nigeria when ppl of the higher class would have some respect for those at the bottom class even if they have nothing.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Image123(m): 10:41pm On Oct 07, 2012
ChrisGnarly: the truth is that any church founded by man is "is a bussiness venture" blv it or leave it. if trully you want to worship God in spirit and in truth look for the church founded by christ himself. visit www.worldbibleschool.com or www.truthfortheworld.com or simply visit any church of christ nearest to you. you cannot and will nt be able to worship God in spirit and in truth in any church owned by man, you have been jumpping from one church to another visit the links or search for any church of christ close to you or you can call or text me on 08026991115 i can help you out. ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free
heeeeey, I'm Open to learning oh. which of this websites you're directing us to is not founded by man? Which one be church of christ? no be cele be that? is this church founded by angel or animal?
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by uzotex1000: 10:46pm On Oct 07, 2012
nenergy: I believe in the bible, it is the pilgrim’s map and the Wikipedia of Christianity. But it is sad to notice that (Nigerian) pastor only preach what “sells”. Go to churches and all you hear is preaching on increase, overflow and divine multiplication. Increase is good and but what of contentment? 1 Tim 6:6 says; “but godliness with contentment is great gain.” So why don’t pastors preach it? This one-sided preaching has led to the abuse of the pulpit. “Open heavens offering”, “first fruit offering”, “challenge God offering”, “seed of faith offering” etc

Listen, “Give, and it shall be given unto you” doesn’t mean that God is a Micro-Finance bank that gives return on investments. The last I checked, God stills loves a cheerful giver o.” So I challenge you, if your pastor has ever preached contentment, give me the church address and I will become a member (I am currently searching for a purpose driven church to worship with). Jesus was content, the apostles were content, and Paul was content, so why don’t Nigerian pastors preach contentment?
Happy Sunday!!!

That is why I like the catholic Church. They are so organize. They preach about contentment.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

. / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / What's Your Longest Period Of Fasting And How Was It Accomplished?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.