Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,063 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:31 AM

Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* (18875 Views)

Photo: What A South African Said About Nigerian Pastors / Pope US Visit Proves Nigerian Pastors Wrong!!! / Why Don't Pastors Preach These Verses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by DukeNija(m): 3:38pm On Oct 07, 2012
Since you've attended all Churches in Nigeria, I think you should ask the Holy-Spirit. SMH
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by brightmon: 3:49pm On Oct 07, 2012
ITbomb: Once the human race start showing contentment then civilization halt.
that makes semce sha but not in context of Religion.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Leobreezy(m): 3:50pm On Oct 07, 2012
kpolli: This OP is just looking for a reason not to go to church. . . . Most good pastors tell u to "thank God" for what He has provided and pray for more. . . . Or your saying God's goal for you is the 2k in ur account?? It's not as if they are telling you to steal. . . They are just telling you to ask your Father for more not go and use occultic means to gain more.
You mean the same money they tell u to pay as tides abi? Mind u, God's goal is not for xtians to amass billions of naira bt 4 them 2 knw d truth about Him and worship Him. Dis is something "most good pastors" fail to tell their congregation.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by ChrisGnarly: 4:02pm On Oct 07, 2012
my brother if you see where they worship God in spirit and in truth will you like it, the fact is that people dont like the truth cos it dy bitter. to be frank with you millions of people ar worshipping but their worship is invain. if one wants to worship God it shld be done in spirit and in truth. i dont know where you ar, but i will advice u to visit any church of christ close to you, ask question or you send your address(08026991115)or visit (www.worldbibleschool.com or truthfortheworld.com) i can get one close to where you ar, i promise you! you will enjoy worshiping God in spirit and in truth. many churches you see today is owned by devil, many open church to make money. God will help you in Jesus name

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Joeblis(m): 4:03pm On Oct 07, 2012
@op you can try lords chosen, though ave not been there before...but i think they're gona go a long way in your salvation...
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Leobreezy(m): 4:04pm On Oct 07, 2012
Leobreezy: And do u think dat d true church can be identified by how financially prosperous it is?
Sisi_Kill:
Bros read my posts very well abeg...coz it seems you've lost the plot.

Sisi_Kill:

These people are miserable, you should see them in gatherings that aren't 100% their church members. They crawl into their shells, can't have a normal conversation without fidgeting, they are socially awkward and you can tell they feel out of place, there is no denying the sense of inferiority complex that washes over them when they are with other people....it is so pathetic to watch.

And the children....God the yearning in their faces when they see things that other children have but they have been deprived of. How's that a content life?

Not saying people should become gluttonous but please there is a middle ground between having 10 cars and living in borderline abject poverty.
Yep, i read it quite well and u're obviously castigating dem because they live a simplistic yet happy life. Too bad!!
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by ChrisGnarly: 4:12pm On Oct 07, 2012
the truth is that any church founded by man is "is a bussiness venture" blv it or leave it. if trully you want to worship God in spirit and in truth look for the church founded by christ himself. visit www.worldbibleschool.com or www.truthfortheworld.com or simply visit any church of christ nearest to you. you cannot and will nt be able to worship God in spirit and in truth in any church owned by man, you have been jumpping from one church to another visit the links or search for any church of christ close to you or you can call or text me on 08026991115 i can help you out. ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by saintdoh: 4:23pm On Oct 07, 2012
U re right,most pastors in naija only preach prosperity.they dnt preach salvation,which is d focus point of christ himself.may GOD help us in dis country.CATHOLICS PREACH SALVATION,I AM INVITING U 2 JOIN ME.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by mu2sa2: 4:29pm On Oct 07, 2012
These pastors established their churches to "make it"; that's their primary aim - to make money and live in opulance. How can the pastor preach contentment, the exact opposite of the raison d'etre of setting up a church. I am not just making a wild allegation: Someone told me some years ago that a jounalist friend was posted to lagos. When he came back to town sometime after, he asked him about life in lagos. He replied that he didn't want to die poor so he had set up a church and he hoped to make money from the church. This is a true story; it actually happened. Maybe the guy is now bearing one grandiose title and living big with his churh. These churches you see around are just money-making ventures for the pastor and a few of his hangers on. I often wonder how hapless, gullible, ignorant people waste their time and money in these Godless places.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 07, 2012
x-fire:

I am also in the same dilemma with OP. Please can you recommend a good church I can attend? I am lost totally because all the churches I have been attending here seems to be prosperity focused. I reside in Warri. Any other person can assist.

Household of God. Pastor Chris Okotie. Don't listen to what people say about pastors till you confirm it yourself. I attended his service once and I just imagine what people say about him.
His marriage life Men I can't say but you will enjoy his service without hearing prosperity...
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Geometrix(m): 4:52pm On Oct 07, 2012
while it is true that most take it to the extreme,we have to realize that christianity is not about what is good and what is bad(religion)it is a way of life.man lost an important thing in the fall that is called dominion in life.it was restored in the redemption ie christ death,burial and ressurection.God is not poor and does not expect his children to be poor.those preachers that take it to extreme should be left for God for it is to him they either stand or fall but honestly i dont think of any that understands of what has been freely given to him in the redemption, will ever think of poverty again whether pastor or a layman which is why i alwayys laugh when people in this forum talk about men like oyedepo,pastor chris.for the record i attend none of their churches but their is an understanding these men has and they are maximizing it.the few ones that uses gimmicks to exploit their congregation does not diminish the truth that God is rich and has given this earth with all its vast resources to man to explore via dominion
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by eyenCalabar(m): 5:01pm On Oct 07, 2012
@Op

Just stick to what works for you. If contentment works for u -fine, stick to it. The churches that preaches prosperity do so because it works for them and their members and that is why they keep growing and growing everyday. So stick to what works for you brother and stop criticizing others. And YES, u'll continue seeing more private jets owned by them. If those jets were own by politicians u wouldn't be complaining but because they are owned by pastors, u are feeling bitter. It doesn't make sense brother, see we were called into a new kind of life, not that of the people of the days of old but a brand new one and then to live that life to the fullest, so I see no reason trying to be contented. Learn to live the big life. You are big brother. Realize this now and stop feeling bitter with those that are living it.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Adamo84(m): 5:04pm On Oct 07, 2012
Sagamite: Because they are preaching to fucktards!

Fucktards that are willing to pass their money to pastors to fund the pastor's luxurious life.

There are many such fucktards in Nigeria.

Gullible, desperate, delusioned fucktards that are looking for salvation and miracles instead of using their brains.

Oops! Sorry. They do not have a brain in the first place that is why they are fucktards.
You dont have to use vulgar or bad statements like the once up there before you make a point. SMH.

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Nobody: 5:08pm On Oct 07, 2012
Pastor Kun is a dolt & will forever be a pauper. IM-becile! Prosperity has a big place in Christian II Cor 8:9.
I believe however dt Pastors r using ppls greed against them.
I agree with d op dt moderation & contentment should be taught in d church of God
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 07, 2012
Proverbs 4 v 18: but the path of the just is as a shining light that shines brighter and brighter unto a perfect day.

Deuteronomy 28 v 11: and the LORD shall make thee plenteous in goods, in the fruit of the body and in the fruit of thy ground, in the land which the Lord sware unto thy fathers to give thee.

Deuteronomy 28 v 12: The LORD shall open unto thee His good treasure, the Heaven, to give thee the rain unto thy land in His season, and to bless all the work of thine hand: and thou shall lend to many nations, and thou shall not borrow.

2 Corinth 8 v 9: for ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that ye through His poverty may be rich.

Psalm 50 v 10: for every beast of the forest is mine, and the cattle upon a thousand hills.

1 Chronicles 29: talks about how David gave from his lot, gold, silver ophir, for the building of the temple. you may wish to know that what he gave is worth about 600million dollars. And who blessed him with such wealth? GOD!

Etc...

My God is a God of prosperity! And I dont know about you, but im going to follow His steps---- 2 Peter 2 v 21: for even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example to follow in His steps.

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by kelvinjezel: 5:18pm On Oct 07, 2012
U guys re right, only feel pastors preach salvation now. And the bible says seek ya d kingdom of God first and every other times will be added onto u. It is time for ur pastors to start preach abot salvation so dat many souls will be save

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by samkoro: 5:18pm On Oct 07, 2012
Contentment kills dynamism,good ambition and drive.The world will come to a standstill with contentment.Don't ui know that thje universe is expanding.

U shld have been content with ur age and remain at 1yr old.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by PastorKun(m): 5:27pm On Oct 07, 2012
1 Timothy 6:10
10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil: which some reaching after have been led astray from the faith, and have pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by dabossman(m): 5:28pm On Oct 07, 2012
While I agree that some Pastors go overboard with the prosperity message, contentment doesn't mean you shouldn't desire or aim for better things. Otherwise Nigerians should be content with 18k minimum wage, epileptic power, fuel importation and so on.

Should a parent be content with a child who is barely passing exams? Would you be content to earn less than is adequate to provide the basics of food, clothes and shelter for your family?

Truth is we all desire to prosper.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by PastorKun(m): 5:30pm On Oct 07, 2012
Bobbysworld28: Pastor Kun is a dolt & will forever be a pauper. IM-becile! Prosperity has a big place in Christian II Cor 8:9.
I believe however dt Pastors r using ppls greed against them.
I agree with d op dt moderation & contentment should be taught in d church of God

1 Timothy 6:5
5 wranglings of men corrupted in mind and bereft of the truth, supposing that religion is a way to become rich.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by dabossman(m): 5:35pm On Oct 07, 2012
kelvinjezel: U guys re right, only feel pastors preach salvation now. And the bible says seek ya d kingdom of God first and every other times will be added onto u. It is time for ur pastors to start preach abot salvation so dat many souls will be save

So, what happens to those who have accepted the message of salvation? Do you continue to preach salvation to them every Sunday even after they are saved? How then do they grow in the faith?
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by plendil: 5:40pm On Oct 07, 2012
samkoro: Contentment kills dynamism,good ambition and drive.The world will come to a standstill with contentment.Don't ui know that thje universe is expanding.

U shld have been content with ur age and remain at 1yr old.

Hmmm is it really possible to be contented and ambitious?

I think we actually need clarification on what contentment in this context means.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Joagbaje(m): 5:45pm On Oct 07, 2012
@OP,
How many preachers have you listened to , to draw such conclusion. Preachers do preach contentment and simplicity. And its not a contradiction to the message of prosperity. The prosperity of christian is not about wearing gold and diamond but rather m for the propagation of the gospel and also for reaching out to help others in need. It takes prosperity and sacrifice to make free bible available for souls on a crusade ground. You must have the money to spend for such project. Thats prosperity

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by MacLovington(m): 5:46pm On Oct 07, 2012
Because they are called prosperity preachers

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by jmoore(m): 5:49pm On Oct 07, 2012
So the OP is saying that no Nigerian pastor has ever preached contentment? You stay one place and draw silly conclusions, smh
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by PastorKun(m): 5:50pm On Oct 07, 2012
On contentment in scriptures

1 Timothy 6:6
6 But godliness with contentment is great gain:

The above quote from the book of 1st timothy was written to him by apostle Paul. Timothy was a young preacher who was being mentored by Paul. In the letter Paul was basically teaching him on sound church doctrines and administration. He also told him the qualities required of a good church leader of which he listed 'contentment' as part of the good qualities. Isn't it ironic that our prosperity gospel pimps are the most discontented/greedy set of people who are constantly devising new scams to fleece their unsuspecting members. It was becos of abuses like this that Paul insisted any man willing to preach the gospel MUST be contented. If you wish to know more on this issue, please read 1 timothy 6:3-11 in context. My two cents.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by ANYPEN(m): 5:58pm On Oct 07, 2012
CHECK HOW YOU CAN LINK YOUR HAPPINESS FROM A STATE OF DEPRESSION IN AN ARTICLE TITLED "PURSUIT FOR HAPPINESS" on www.wise-ticket.com
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by kessyur: 6:13pm On Oct 07, 2012
OP, please look out for the nearest Roman Catholic church. If don't like the doctrine, then you can consider MFM.
www.allinksandtoners.com.ng
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by hardeihorlar(f): 6:13pm On Oct 07, 2012
No matter wia u reside, u'll find a catholic church. D only unbiased gathering dat gives a load down of the bible d way Jesus thaught it. Attend one nd u'll b glad u did.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by greaterlove(m): 6:18pm On Oct 07, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Where will the 6 Jets, 12 Bentelys, 3 BMW, 5 mansions, 120 Tom Ford suits, 240 Gucci Shoes, gold watches with matching sunglasses. . . fit in if they preached contentment?

I grew up in a Methodist Church and when I remember how the Bishops back then lived (usually in a 3 bedroom flat behind the church) it becomes increasingly obvious these charlatans parading themselves as Pastors today care more about their comfort than the word of God.

I've often asked myself....if these pastors, the Oyedepos, The Pastor Chris of today, if they really believe there is a God and all Good people will be rewarded in heaven, why the incessant need to acquire so much in this earthly realm? Could it be that they know something we don't? Maybe they know this is it....for all of us. There's no heaven or hell.. there is no delayed gratification or punishment. You have one life to live and it is now....that's why they want everything they can lay their greedy paws on.

Of course they can't let that secret out because other people's ignorance is how they can live their one life in luxury.

Hmm, you know...I think it is safe to say that the lifestyles of these Pastors may just be the strongest supporting evidence that there is no afterlife. lipsrsealed
You really made a good point, I must admit I agree with u on this, you really got me thinking.
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by Nobody: 6:22pm On Oct 07, 2012
Pastor Kun dt verse talks abt those in d ministry simply for wht they can gain. It doesn't even remotely imply dt poverty is exclusively for xtians. It also buttresses my point abt Pastors using ppls greed against them.
Hw can u preach a salvation dt cannot help ppl out of their present issues? Get rich God's way & help ppl along with ur wealth. Ur wealth should be a tool & nt ur master. Stop spreading falsehood because we can do much more for the Gospel with money.
If d ppl under the law can be rich by obeying d law, hw much more those living under Grace?
Re: Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* by habibabubakar(m): 6:25pm On Oct 07, 2012
lol!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

. / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / What's Your Longest Period Of Fasting And How Was It Accomplished?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.