Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,705 members, 7,820,461 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba (15758 Views)

Benin Kingdom In Edo Is Yoruba Territory — Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi / Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? / Philip Emagwali:I Am Yoruba from Onitsha And Onitsha Is Yoruba Land! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by aduje(m): 7:09pm On Oct 12, 2012
10 ways to know you a Yoruba...

1. When you have Tribal Marks
2. When you like to attend parties
3. When you prostrate for an elderly one while talking to the fellow on telephone
5. When it costs you less than N250 to travel from Lagos to your village
6. When everyone that speaks your language is your brother/sister
7. When you can not do away with tribalism
8. When you woo a woman and immediately begins to address her as your wife
9. When you call every Northern Hausa and every Eastern Ibo
10. When after reading this post you get angry and curse me e.g. Olori buruku ma ni bobo yi... hahaha!

5 Likes

Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 12, 2012
bayulll01: just went through the igbo thread now am so glad that we yoruba don't give a damm about their so useles pathetic life,but they are the first to comment when it comes to yoruba,u pple wil die of hate and end up in hell,pathetic pple

you know that there were Igbos who called those folks out, right?

Thanks for not "giving a damn" anyways.
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by Ngodigha: 7:12pm On Oct 12, 2012
aduje: 10 ways to know you a Yoruba...

1. When you have Tribal Marks
2. When you like to attend parties
3. When you prostrate for an elderly one while talking to the fellow on telephone
5. When it costs you less than N250 to travel from Lagos to your village
6. When everyone that speaks your language is your brother/sister
7. When you can not do away with tribalism
8. When you woo a woman and immediately begins to address her as your wife
9. When you call every Northern Hausa and every Eastern Ibo
10. When after reading this post you get angry and curse me e.g. Olori buruku ma ni bobo yi... hahaha!
@ no 3 e.g

Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by iconaus: 7:15pm On Oct 12, 2012
It is unfortunate that such an interesting topic is not being allowed to be informative . Really i love the igbo version of it which is more informative . Though an attempt to derail it and stopped the motive was abortive because the igbos never allowed it rather concentrated on defining and giving meaning to igbo. For peolpe to come here to say that igbos are derailing this thread ang abusing it is totally untrue . It is up to the yorubas to educative people on who or what is a yoruba and not to give up just like that and resort to fightin ; this has actually separated the boys from the men and actual compares both tribes in term of resilience and duggnes. By just saying youruba people is accomodating, always like to say thank you, this n that is not what people want to hear .Every body is accomodating , humble etc . Just educate us deeply who is true yoruba man interms of culture , tradition and the likes . right from the begining of this thread , the yorubas derailed it by themselves by showing weak interest to own it and resist any attempt to make mockery of it . So stop blamimg igbos for derailing this thread .Truly i see this as a sign of weaknes .in real life, you gonna strugle to be heard . Dont give up so easily and and resort to blaming game. So please yoruba should go on to tell us who is yoruba and stop accusing igbos of wrong doing here .after all some yorubas made some nasty comments on the igbo version of who is an igbo man but kept on pushing the info through .

4 Likes

Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by GenOrumov: 7:22pm On Oct 12, 2012
@ felifeli and other persons that want to know the yorubas/if they are yorubas, the internet as we all know is a great source of information but unfortunately we also know that it can contain false and inaccurate information. If you want to know the yorubas, come to their region to seek the information you really need and experience them live. DON'T LISTEN TO HEARSEY MOST ESPECIALLY NAIRALAND.
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by bayulll01(m): 7:24pm On Oct 12, 2012
icon aus: It is unfortunate that such an interesting topic is not being allowed to be informative . Really i love the igbo version of it which is more informative . Though an attempt to derail it and stopped the motive was abortive because the igbos never allowed it rather concentrated on defining and giving meaning to igbo. For peolpe to come here to say that igbos are derailing this thread ang abusing it is totally untrue . It is up to the yorubas to educative people on who or what is a yoruba and not to give up just like that and resort to fightin ; this has actually separated the boys from the men and actual compares both tribes in term of resilience and duggnes. By just saying youruba people is accomodating, always like to say thank you, this n that is not what people want to hear .Every body is accomodating , humble etc . Just educate us deeply who is true yoruba man interms of culture , tradition and the likes . right from the begining of this thread , the yorubas derailed it by themselves by showing weak interest to own it and resist any attempt to make mockery of it . So stop blamimg igbos for derailing this thread .Truly i see this as a sign of weaknes .in real life, you gonna strugle to be heard . Dont give up so easily and and resort to blaming game. So please yoruba should go on to tell us who is yoruba and stop accusing igbos of wrong doing here .after all some yorubas made some nasty comments on the igbo version of who is an igbo man but kept on pushing the info through .
stf u low lyf pple
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by kwajahafiz(m): 7:27pm On Oct 12, 2012
u know your yoruba when there is never enough oil in ur soup.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by ektbear: 7:37pm On Oct 12, 2012
Funny thread grin
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by iconaus: 7:42pm On Oct 12, 2012
@ bayulll01
I hope i made sense . Just visit both threads and confirm my assertion.
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by tevinsolt: 7:50pm On Oct 12, 2012
icon aus: It is unfortunate that such an interesting topic is not being allowed to be informative . Really i love the igbo version of it which is more informative . Though an attempt to derail it and stopped the motive was abortive because the igbos never allowed it rather concentrated on defining and giving meaning to igbo. For peolpe to come here to say that igbos are derailing this thread ang abusing it is totally untrue . It is up to the yorubas to educative people on who or what is a yoruba and not to give up just like that and resort to fightin ; this has actually separated the boys from the men and actual compares both tribes in term of resilience and duggnes. By just saying youruba people is accomodating, always like to say thank you, this n that is not what people want to hear .Every body is accomodating , humble etc . Just educate us deeply who is true yoruba man interms of culture , tradition and the likes . right from the begining of this thread , the yorubas derailed it by themselves by showing weak interest to own it and resist any attempt to make mockery of it . So stop blamimg igbos for derailing this thread .Truly i see this as a sign of weaknes .in real life, you gonna strugle to be heard . Dont give up so easily and and resort to blaming game. So please yoruba should go on to tell us who is yoruba and stop accusing igbos of wrong doing here .after all some yorubas made some nasty comments on the igbo version of who is an igbo man but kept on pushing the info through .

you guys never seize to amaze him.
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by nogames: 7:55pm On Oct 12, 2012
If your ancestors are from south west, some part of kwara and kogi plus descendants of The Alaketu of Ketu and Olupopo of Popo in Benin republic and Togo

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/feed/society/56122-a-historic-home-coming-for-the-royalty.txt
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 12, 2012
I agree with u icon aus.
Besides, igbos were just trying to be funny becos there really is alot of funny stuff yorubas are known for. And that is not an insult. Infact they were indirectly praising u guys by mentioning stuff about great respect and tolerance.

As matured human beings u should have ignored them and pushed on, even accepting some of the things they said. That way u would be the wise ones and they the fools.
But u clearly showed immaturity and weakness by letting it get to u and failing to go on.
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by tevinsolt: 8:05pm On Oct 12, 2012
inurmind: I agree with u icon aus.
Besides, igbos were just trying to be funny becos there really is alot of funny stuff yorubas are known for. And that is not an insult. Infact they were indirectly praising u guys by mentioning stuff about great respect and tolerance.

As matured human beings u should have ignored them and pushed on, even accepting some of the things they said. That way u would be the wise ones and they the fools.
But u clearly showed immaturity and weakness by letting it get to u and failing to go on.

are you for real? undecided
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by fankasibe: 8:09pm On Oct 12, 2012
U ar a yoruba if u don't join the crowd in killing innocent student *acting devilish*
i will die a yoruba boy.
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by revomind(m): 8:09pm On Oct 12, 2012
From the top of my head, the ideal Yoruba;

Recognises the principle of fairness and the complex concept of the 'omoluabi.
Has immense respect for elders.
Loves to have a good time and celebrate.
Has a supreme regard for culture and tradition.
Believes in the power of a name.
Loves to acquire knowledge.
Believes in the sanctity of facts.
Believes male or female, a child is a child (women are allowed to head families).
Loves a woman with a good backside.
Is a calculating mind.
Believes the culture or the person comes before religion.
Has numerous names.
Detests oppression.

If there is any doubt, as a kid growing up, you immediately know you are Yoruba with each one of your four grandparents having a different oriki and its accompanying poem for you.

Pepper in the food may guide you too.

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by nogames: 8:27pm On Oct 12, 2012
revomind: From the top of my head, the ideal Yoruba;

Believes male or female, a child is a child (women are allowed to head families).
Is a calculating mind.
Has numerous names.
Detests oppression.

If there is any doubt, as a kid growing up, you immediately know you are Yoruba with each one of your four grandparents having a different oriki and its accompanying poem for you.

Bravo bro
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by GenOrumov: 8:31pm On Oct 12, 2012

speak for yourself only. You didn't make those comments so you can't tell if they had other intentions other than they were up to some mischief as their comments clearly potrays. Save your lectures for your people and not us. Thanks.
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by tintingz(m): 8:39pm On Oct 12, 2012
I can see that this thread as been derailed by ojukwu children that will do anything to attack we yorubas. . .i went to their igbo version thread and see that they don't know where they hail from. . .they don't know there origin and roots they didn't agree with themselves they are confused cuz igbo tribe is scattered With different definations of ibo. . .we yorubas we know who we are and our roots and origin buh unfortunately they didnt give us the chance to display our origin and beauty of Yoruba culture. . .igbos are always greedy in everything they do tongue

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by aljharem(m): 8:40pm On Oct 12, 2012
omodapson:

No mind them jare. They are just haters... I just dey wonder why an alien will be defining my identity? I am an awori from Badagry and very proud to be Yoruba.

Thank you jare eyan mi, I dislike it when people talk of issues they know nothing about.
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by aljharem(m): 8:41pm On Oct 12, 2012

Is a calculating mind.
Has numerous names.
Detests oppression.

end of discussion. cool
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by aljharem(m): 8:42pm On Oct 12, 2012

gbammmmmmm you are very correct grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by aljharem(m): 8:45pm On Oct 12, 2012
nagoma my friend, na iya tabbatar da cewa
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by Seyilome(m): 8:48pm On Oct 12, 2012
yoruba person is offspring Oduduwa, Oduduwa born Okanbi, and Okanbi born seven children the seven cover states like Osun,Oyo,Ogun,Ondo,Ekiti,Lagos,70% of Kwara,30% of Kogi, part of Edo,part of Republic of Benin,Cuba,Brazil,Trinidad & Tobago etc Yoruba person is a person that yoruba blood runs in him

1 Like

Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by Clemzy16(m): 8:52pm On Oct 12, 2012
Though i'm from North central. I'm from the Yoruba speaking part of Kogi state. 100% Yoruba boi, Oluwa is involved..

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 12, 2012
Yez o by 2face. No mind them jor. U are Yoruba if u discoverd that u shout alot and can neva spk wit a low tone. U are yoruba if u discovrd dat u c'nt help spkng d language evn 2wards sum1 that don't undastand a word in d language, and u are yoruba whn u discovrd dat u postrate 2 ur elders while spkng 2 dem on fone evn when u c'nt see them. I got many of them 2 say bt i don't wanna b abusd in yoruba 4 sayng them all.!
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by Nobody: 8:58pm On Oct 12, 2012

Is a calculating mind.
Has numerous names.
Detests oppression.

If there is any doubt, as a kid growing *up, you immediately know you are Yoruba with each one of your four grandparents having a different oriki and its accompanying poem for you.

Grab a kiss 4 Dat *Muah* kiss

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by Nobody: 9:12pm On Oct 12, 2012
lmao @ d number of hidden posts!!

Igbo ppl love us too much mehn, can't stop laughing! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by Nobody: 9:13pm On Oct 12, 2012
Shollypopz: lmao @ d number of hidden posts!!

EKA RO cool grin

1 Like

Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by aljharem(m): 9:17pm On Oct 12, 2012
Shollypopz: lmao @ d number of hidden posts!!

grin grin grin very correct and we love them too kiss
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 12, 2012
CAMEROONPRIDE: EKA RO cool grin
hhmmm.....why do I hv a feeling u had something to do with the hidden posts??

Wait till Bakassi and Cameroon news/discussion and I'll deal with u appropriately tongue
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by Nobody: 9:46pm On Oct 12, 2012
alj harem: grin grin grin very correct and we love them too kiss
hhmmm, I don't know about that oooo

I think they are more or less obsessed with us grin grin
Re: Who Is Yoruba / How Do You Know You Are Yoruba by adubiay: 9:47pm On Oct 12, 2012
Lero15: A typical Yoruba: if he do good for u,u say 'thank u',e go say 'no need', if u no talk 'thank u' e go say u r ungrateful. If he say com chop,u say 'neva mind' he go say u dey vex,but if u go ahead to chop he go say u get 'insect eye'. If im chicken was lost then found, he throws a party. I LOVE GBOGBO OMO ODUDUWA.
grin
Lero15: A typical Yoruba: if he do good for u,u say 'thank u',e go say 'no need', if u no talk 'thank u' e go say u r ungrateful. If he say com chop,u say 'neva mind' he go say u dey vex,but if u go ahead to chop he go say u get 'insect eye'. If im chicken was lost then found, he throws a party. I LOVE GBOGBO OMO ODUDUWA.
i dey laugh ooooooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Fanfare As Akanu Ohafia Holds 2021 Ekpe, New Yam Festivals (pix, VIDEO) / This Woman Explains Why She Hates Being Black! / Learn To Speak Ikwerre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.