Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? (5725 Views)

How To Detect If Your Boyfriend Is A Good Guy. / What Is The Role Of A Nigerian Boyfriend? / I Love My Nigerian Boyfriend! But Our Barriers Are Yoruba Culture! I'm American. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by heartbroken31: 9:44pm On Oct 24, 2012
Hi,
I have been seeing this Nigerian man for almost a month now, he contacted me over facebook, and we ended up chatting on facebook. he was so quick in sweet words, and being pushy meeting up face to face. I told him I already have a boyfriend (but at the edge of braking up) but he said he just wants to meet me in person as to see who he is really talking to and nothing more. We were open about who were were until then. We met face to face within a week of talking, and I asked him why he was so pushy and he said that he had to be because he knew that I would never meet him if he didn't pushed it.

He is younger then me. We got on so well that we met the following two more weeks, I began having feelings for him, and he said he loved me and misses me like crazy, I told him I did not want to complicate things as for my situation, but I let myself get into it. He has been very romantic with his words. Then i thought about doing a background check to see if he was telling me the truth about everything. He said he was seven years younger and that he is a university student, and has been in the current country where we both are for 5 years now. So I found out that he is actually 11 years younger and he hasn't been attending university for the last 3 years. I was shocked by this, and was stupid to tell him and try to stop seeing him again. He begged like mad, saying that he was going to tell me but he got scared of how I would react. Said sorry so many times that I felt bad. His excuse for his lie was that he is actually 7 years younger but he had to show his age younger in order to be able to come out of Nigeria to study or something. Didn't sound convincing..He promised to be totally honest ad truthful and never to make the same mistake again. So I gave him benefit of the doubt.

We met the following week, and we kissed and got a lot closer. He even asked me to marry him and that he has plans for us together to have a family together and that we relocate, because I was considering this myself too. But the 3 year gap of him staying here and not doing anything still bothered me at the back of my mind. He always seemed broke too. Although he tells me he is from a very good family, and I have seen some of them on facebook and they do seem to be a very good family. I asked him how did he get his student visa, as he is not a student anymore, and he paid some university the tuition fee and got the necessary documents and got the visa, but is still not in education. then he kind a suspected me of being a spy, spying on him, because I was asking him so many things, but he didn't show any aggression or anything, we both laughed about it. We enjoyed each other's company. Next day on the phone he tells me that he is waiting for his family to send him his money but it hasn't arrived, and that he hasn't got enough credit on his credit card to top up his phone to call his mother to call him back and asked me if I can get him a top up card. First i though yeah why not, but then I said let me try and see how I can do it electronically. Then when we stopped talking I realised that I got annoyed with this. He did seem broke, because he would call me and reverse the charges all the time. I waited a while, and called him and said that I tried to top his phone but something went wrong and I couldn't. He said I should try to go to shop and get him the next day, he wouldn't give up, I made him wait 2 days, and on third day, he was still expecting me to get it for him. I told him to call one of his brothers or email them and get them to get his parents to ring him, but he wouldn't have it. Anyways, I got him the top up 2 days later, we met face to face again, he got his parents to call, but this time he has to wait for his money to arrive after 2 weeks. As I was leaving to go home, he all of a sudden gets hungry and thirsty and asks me to go down to shop and get him water, as there is no drinking water at home. I was shocked again,and he never ever offered a drink (not even a glass of water) or anything when I was at his place, but claiming to love me and we have future together, I was so trapped in that moment but was aware again, how could i say no., I said I can't go to shops and come back, told him he'd better off going and getting it himself, he was like looking at me, so I took out a small amount of money and gave it to him and he took it.

anyways, few days later, he asks me to go and check a laptop and mobile phone for him, and that he will give me money to buy them for him, I had the alarm bells ringing in my head already, anyways I said as long as you give the money for them maybe I could get it for you. Then few day later he asks me to lend him money on the phone. That's where I said that's it enough, one moment we are in love and next minute he is asking for something. So next day I told him that I don't want to see him anymore that it's not working out. He was so upset and angry and said why, I said the whole picture of us doesn't look like that it will work out. He said he has given me love and has been so open to me and I don't trust him, and out of the blue I tell him this, he told me I have changed because he asked me for money, I said that it did have a part in it. He raised his voice a bit at me and that scared me too on the phone. I wasn't sure if I was right or wrong about this. I am so happy when with him and I do miss him and have strong feelings for him. He swore not to ask for anything of me ever again, even if he was dying he would die alone and not ask for my help at all, I did not respond to this as to never have faced such thing before. We talked, and agreed to give us a go again. But I woke up today with a gut feeling that this is not so right. I want to trust this men, and I hope he is not conning me. He has had a short relationship with another older woman with a good career, he told me about, but she dumped him short after, because it was only physical for her.

In my case I want to make it work with him but I am so afraid that it may all be so wrong. He is so sweet, and so charming, and he is so comforting and loving. But the other side of the things have confused me so much. What do you think? anyone there could help me with this? please is he a fraud or is it just the way some men are?
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Djtm(m): 10:02pm On Oct 24, 2012
This is Complicated!
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Booty4me: 10:03pm On Oct 24, 2012
op wetin lahh shey na me go read all this junk
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by mcnepow(m): 10:31pm On Oct 24, 2012
Normally I read lenghty posts but. . .

This post is jes toooo long..

Someone please summarize

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Acidosis(m): 10:52pm On Oct 24, 2012
Complicated!! But since he promised not to ask/beg.. while don't you keep trying? while you watch and think with your heart head
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by 190theclown: 11:00pm On Oct 24, 2012
Merr there's trouble in paradise -

OP what country я u located
I tink dat dude is not been fair wif u
He defo has some skeletons in his closet!
All d same use ur head not ur heart dis time

Would be baq wif further answers as tyme goes on

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Oct 24, 2012
shocked shocked shocked shocked this is wrong...long story, no paragraphs...I'm out.
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Rooneyboy(m): 12:53am On Oct 25, 2012
poster u one give us migraine with this ur epistle abi ?
E no work o, go find another strategy come.
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by jigwe101: 1:01am On Oct 25, 2012
From reading 1/4 of the story, I can already tell the guy is going to use you. I thought older people are the wiser ones..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by IZUKWU(m): 3:43am On Oct 25, 2012
I think you should listen to your instincts and as of now ,they are screaming run !, run for your life. Obviously the young man is struggling and has no source of income and is trying to make you one and may even has others like you. So if you want to help, help him out as a friend that you like, not so that he will pay you back by marrying you as he may end up disappointing you. But then life is a risk. So , if you want to play it that way ,set a limit to what you will spend on/for him ,play along ,watch him , time will prove him. My 2 cents.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by JallowBah(f): 8:47am On Oct 25, 2012
Your gut and instinct is telling you this is wrong. Listen to it..

Also, in the african way, he should be the one buying YOU things, not expecting you to buy HIM things. The problem is that many african boys go to europe, and expect their Eu-woman to pay for everything because "she grew up in a rich country, I grew up in a poor country. She dont have problem with money". They dont know..

I actually read the whole thing, and girl..don`t go there.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by heartbroken31: 9:05am On Oct 25, 2012
JallowBah: Your gut and instinct is telling you this is wrong. Listen to it..

Also, in the african way, he should be the one buying YOU things, not expecting you to buy HIM things. The problem is that many african boys go to europe, and expect their Eu-woman to pay for everything because "she grew up in a rich country, I grew up in a poor country. She dont have problem with money". They dont know..

I actually read the whole thing, and girl..don`t go there.

Thank you so much, that's what I thought too...smiley
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by heartbroken31: 9:12am On Oct 25, 2012
IZUKWU: I think you should listen to your instincts and as of now ,they are screaming run !, run for your life. Obviously the young man is struggling and has no source of income and is trying to make you one and may even has others like you. So if you want to help, help him out as a friend that you like, not so that he will pay you back by marrying you as he may end up disappointing you. But then life is a risk. So , if you want to play it that way ,set a limit to what you will spend on/for him ,play along ,watch him , time will prove him. My 2 cents.

Thank you for your advice, I will go along with my instincts, since I have told him that we should stop seeing each other, he did get very angry, and he tried to accuse me of trying to use him, that I am some kind of spy, spying on him, (here I said to him, I ain't a spy, that he should not worry on dwell on that if he isn't doing anything wrong,and I was only trying to get to know him better) and also, after when we softened up about the whole thing, among the talks I told him that I will not come out of the blue and say to him it's over, and he said that I was not his god!, there I stopped, because I have never been such a person to be vein or look down on people. anyways, best thing here for me to stop seeing him. I called yesterday and he didn't reply so hopefully will not be calling him back.
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 9:21am On Oct 25, 2012
all I can tell you IS: RUN! Forget about him!!!!
Your feeling / intuition is telling you the same.
He is charming and sweet, so what? Many men are.

I don't understand why so many women fall in love so quickly. You said that after JUST TWO WEEKS you developed feelings for him. Why?
I really think that women fall for a guy SO QUICKLY because there is a gap in their lives and they feel somehow empty and therefore fall quickly for a guy to fill in this gap. If your life was good the way it is. If you had goals in your life and you would be eager to pursuit them with PASSION and loved your life and yourself, you would never let such a LIAR into your life. Your alarm bells are ringing. And they are ringing LOUDLY, listen to them. Too many lies and moreover, he is trying to USE you. Love yourself or learn to love yourself and such a man will never have the chance to make it into your life. Please, PROTECT yourself. You're worth it!

Also know: that I heard of a woman whose guy was telling her that he was younger than in his passport ID because to get a visa he needed to change his age. Same old lie, so one time they're older and the other younger. For the same reason THEY CLAIM.

I wish you all the best, most of all the reason to treat YOURSELF the way you DESERVE IT, with respect.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 25, 2012
heartbroken31: He contacted me over Facebook and we ended up chatting on Facebook.
The guy knew what he wanted from the word 'go'. Contacting you via Facebook? He probably knew what you do for a living before contacting you. It's all about the money for him.

heartbroken31: He was so quick in sweet words and being pushy meeting up face to face.
Of course he'll be sweet in his words. Which man isn't? And pushy too? This guy knows what he wants from you.

heartbroken31: He is younger then me. He is actually 11 years younger.
Run! Run very fast! This guy just wants your money. He's looking for comfort and he's aware that an older woman is probably more financially secure.

heartbroken31: He even asked me to marry him.
Run! In fact sprint! Very few Nigerian men genuinely marry older women. In Nigeria, 26 is an "old cargo". Don't know where you come from, but he probably wants your country's citizenship.

heartbroken31: Next day on the phone he tells me that he is waiting for his family to send him his money but it hasn't arrived, and that he hasn't got enough credit on his credit card to top up his phone to call his mother to call him back and asked me if I can get him a top up card.
The guy is using you.

heartbroken31: As I was leaving to go home, he all of a sudden gets hungry and thirsty and asks me to go down to shop and get him water, as there is no drinking water at home. I was shocked again, and he never ever offered a drink (not even a glass of water) or anything when I was at his place.
Asks you to go shop water for him, with your money....lol. The man probably tells his friends that you are a 'mugu'. Go ask him what it means.

heartbroken31: I took out a small amount of money and gave it to him.
He's probably using that money on another girl (probably a younger Nigerian girl).

heartbroken31: I don't trust him.
You're on the right path. You cannot trust a man (esp. a younger one) who borrows money from a woman he's dating/courting. Personally, if a man wants to lose my respect, let him borrow me money. He'll never see me again (no matter how tall he is and how deep his voice is).

heartbroken31: He has had a short relationship with another older woman with a good career.
The young man knows what he wants from older women. He even goes for the ones with good careers. From the time he saw your profile on Facebook, you became his target. He's probably saved you as "ATM 3" in his cell phone, and he probably has "ATM 1" and "ATM 2" as well.

heartbroken31: In my case I want to make it work with him but I am so afraid that it may all be so wrong.
This relationship will not work out. He just wants to use you to put his finances in order.

heartbroken31: He is so sweet, and so charming, and he is so comforting and loving.
He'll be all that and more, especially when he knows that he'll be getting money (and some citizenship) in return.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 10:37am On Oct 25, 2012
in which country do you live? he told you he was a student there but you don't see him actually studying?

i'm curious because i was/i am facing a similar situation, but he never asked me to buy anything for him, but I found similiarities with your story

it's true that with Nigerians you should always be careful, as with any other men, but maybe more because of the citizenship issue.

anyway, good luck for your relationship

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Oct 25, 2012
miss-sweety86:
in which country do you live? he told you he was a student there but you don't see him actually studying?

i'm curious because i was/i am facing a similar situation, but he never asked me to buy anything for him, but I found similiarities with your story

it's true that with Nigerians you should always be careful, as with any other men, but maybe more because of the citizenship issue.

even with them having papers, it COULD be dangerous. foreign women fail to understand Nigerian culture(s) and mentality and are heartbroken afterwards.
most relationships between Nigerians and foreigners fail. my observation.
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 25, 2012
well, that's why I'm trying to learn about his culture and try my best to understand the mentality. and that's why I wanna go there if I can.
I think mixed relationships are maybe more difficult but I think they can have good outcomes too (and cute babies ;-)!)
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 25, 2012
miss-sweety86:
well, that's why I'm trying to learn about his culture and try my best to understand the mentality. and that's why I wanna go there if I can.
I think mixed relationships are maybe more difficult but I think they can have good outcomes too (and cute babies ;-)!)

mixed relationships are definitely more difficult. most of the time.
learn about the culture and mentality. this is a good start. they can have a good outcome, I don't deny but from what I have seen so far, most of them don't.
most babies are cute. however, they grow up and mixed race babies too often they grow up without their father.
where are you located?
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 25, 2012
I'm in France and my boyfriend/fiance is in Nigeria (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here lol) but previously we were together in Malaysia.
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 25, 2012
[quote author=miss-sweety86]I'm in France and my boyfriend/fiance is in Nigeria (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't be posting here lol) but previously we were together in Malaysia. [/quotel
I understood he was Nigrian. That does not mean that he necessarily lives in Nigeria.
Now I remember you and your guy....
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 25, 2012
[quote author=carefreewannabe][/quote]

I meant that if he wasn't Nigerian I wouldn't be on that website ;-)!
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by heartbroken31: 7:57pm On Oct 25, 2012
miss-sweety86:

He isn't studying, I have found out for a fact from the institution itself,and it has been 3 years he has been doing nothing here, when I told him that I found out about his lie, he went begging me that he was afraid to tell me the truth because he wasn't sure how I'd react, then I said I don't want to see him again, he begged and begged for couple of days, saying he stopped studying because he was planning to travel and transfer his studies at another european country but then he changed his mind,that his family knows about it too and bla bla bla...I'd rather not mention which country we are in now, as it is a small country, but it's a place where usually people know each other well here, that's why I was lucky enough to find out about his lie about his studies...I just hope that he won't cause any more problems as I have cut my contact with him now, and I hope that he won't ever contact me again...
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by heartbroken31: 8:12pm On Oct 25, 2012
Good Girl: The guy knew what he wanted from the word 'go'. Contacting you via Facebook? He probably knew what you do for a living before contacting you. It's all about the money for him.

Of course he'll be sweet in his words. Which man isn't? And pushy too? This guy knows what he wants from you.

Run! Run very fast! This guy just wants your money. He's looking for comfort and he's aware that an older woman is probably more financially secure.

Run! In fact sprint! Very few Nigerian men genuinely marry older women. In Nigeria, 26 is an "old cargo". Don't know where you come from, but he probably wants your country's citizenship.

The guy is using you.

Asks you to go shop water for him, with your money....lol. The man probably tells his friends that you are a 'mugu'. Go ask him what it means.

He's probably using that money on another girl (probably a younger Nigerian girl).

You're on the right path. You cannot trust a man (esp. a younger one) who borrows money from a woman he's dating/courting. Personally, if a man wants to lose my respect, let him borrow me money. He'll never see me again (no matter how tall he is and how deep his voice is).

The young man knows what he wants from older women. He even goes for the ones with good careers. From the time he saw your profile on Facebook, you became his target. He's probably saved you as "ATM 3" in his cell phone, and he probably has "ATM 1" and "ATM 2" as well.

This relationship will not work out. He just wants to use you to put his finances in order.

He'll be all that and more, especially when he knows that he'll be getting money (and some citizenship) in return.

Thank you soo much, and all true, this is so over,how I don't know but he must have known about me long before he contacted me anyway, because I can't even clearly remember the first conversations we had, and just found myself meeting this men face to face, he was that pushy, and me so weak. It is so cruel to do this to a person, why don't they just get out and get themselves a decent jobs and lives? this is demonic and nothing else. He showed me his passport, it showed him younger then what he told me, and it was expired to but had a valid visa which will expire next year, God know what the hec he is doing here, he had phone calls coming in from a guy and he was too afraid to reply it, I asked him to do so and he said he doesn't know what to tell the men, asked him again, then he came up with a story that because he owed the guy money...it's all too fishy, so sad and pathetic, yet dangerous too. Well he was kind a afraid that I was a spy too, so there must be something definitely going on here,wished that I'd stopped seeing him right after I found out about his lie even without telling him anything.
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by heartbroken31: 8:20pm On Oct 25, 2012
carefreewannabe: all I can tell you IS: RUN! Forget about him!!!!
Your feeling / intuition is telling you the same.
He is charming and sweet, so what? Many men are.

I don't understand why so many women fall in love so quickly. You said that after JUST TWO WEEKS you developed feelings for him. Why?
I really think that women fall for a guy SO QUICKLY because there is a gap in their lives and they feel somehow empty and therefore fall quickly for a guy to fill in this gap. If your life was good the way it is. If you had goals in your life and you would be eager to pursuit them with PASSION and loved your life and yourself, you would never let such a LIAR into your life. Your alarm bells are ringing. And they are ringing LOUDLY, listen to them. Too many lies and moreover, he is trying to USE you. Love yourself or learn to love yourself and such a man will never have the chance to make it into your life. Please, PROTECT yourself. You're worth it!

Also know: that I heard of a woman whose guy was telling her that he was younger than in his passport ID because to get a visa he needed to change his age. Same old lie, so one time they're older and the other younger. For the same reason THEY CLAIM.

I wish you all the best, most of all the reason to treat YOURSELF the way you DESERVE IT, with respect.
Hey, thank you for your advice, and I will take it...smiley
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Oct 25, 2012
heartbroken31:
Hey, thank you for your advice, and I will take it...smiley

I hope so smiley because you deserve better! All my best wishes. Love yourself and your life. It's one life so live it the best you can. Don't let an evil person ruin it or even give you headache.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by MyneWhite1(f): 11:22pm On Oct 25, 2012
When something smells fishy, it usually is fishy.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 11:21am On Oct 26, 2012
heartbroken31:
Thank you soo much, and all true, this is so over, how I don't know but he must have known about me long before he contacted me anyway,
Good for you. Just don't let it happen again.
Younger Man + Liar + Broke = Horrible Combination

Don't let it happen again. All these sob stories (even on this very site) are not imagined.
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by shehu50(m): 3:03pm On Oct 26, 2012
He is a scammer and trying to take advantage of you.just run or else you will regret it
Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by Chinwem(f): 3:14pm On Oct 26, 2012
I know this script cuz it happened to me too
Your instincts are NEVER wrong
Run as fast as you can, run, run, run, don't look back!!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Boyfriend, Is He A Romance Scammer? by COMPUTERVILLA(m): 9:21am On Feb 21, 2016
heartbroken31:

Thank you for your advice, I will go along with my instincts, since I have told him that we should stop seeing each other, he did get very angry, and he tried to accuse me of trying to use him, that I am some kind of spy, spying on him, (here I said to him, I ain't a spy, that he should not worry on dwell on that if he isn't doing anything wrong,and I was only trying to get to know him better) and also, after when we softened up about the whole thing, among the talks I told him that I will not come out of the blue and say to him it's over, and he said that I was not his god!, there I stopped, because I have never been such a person to be vein or look down on people. anyways, best thing here for me to stop seeing him. I called yesterday and he didn't reply so hopefully will not be calling him back.
Wait! Is that your name? Heartbroken31. You have been heartbroken 31 times. Well, am not a saint to criticize or judge anybody but my concern is for you. If you say you ain't gonna come out of the blue and say something then you might get heartbroken 32 times. Stay real

(1) (Reply)

Men And Types Of Orgasm. / Hot Zoo Keeper Impregnates Female Orangutan Ape (photo) / Things Women Are Attracted To That Will Make Them Slip Their Pants For Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.