Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? (9632 Views)

Why Do Christians Pray Aggressively & Shout Louder Amen At The Mention Of Money? / Top 10 Astonishing Miracles (international) / Why Do Christians Close Eyes While Praying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Oct 29, 2012
Ihedinobi:

I am going assume that you have
read critically and accept the article's position as yours without qualification.

I will go ahead to read and digest that article (that thing is long, I hope you know) and prepare counters if necessary.

CAVEAT EMPTOR:

I will not be responsible for the consequences of any display of ignorance and absurd reasoning on your part.

So much talk, yet no rebuttal
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by pastormustwacc: 8:35pm On Oct 29, 2012
cyrexx:

Logicboy, go easy on him, abeg. You know he has short attention span and his comprehension abilities is gradually reducing. Besides, he has not graduated from his training under his master- the artful dodger. The only thing thing he can understand very well is what is written in the bible. You need to understand the guy and go easy on him. Abeg.

Are you sure about that? Because as far as i know:
foooolish people cannot understand the bible actually. They need a pastor to read it for them - while they grin sheeeepishly (like the sheeeps them be).
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by seyibrown(f): 11:48pm On Oct 29, 2012
Ihedinobi:
I hope you realize that I won't always let you get away with your spurious arguments about genetics.

He has been advised to go get a refund on his primary and secondary school fees! grin grin grin He refused and instead carries on terrorising others with his evolution THEORIES! grin grin grin
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Oct 29, 2012
seyibrown:

He has been advised to go get a refund on his primary and secondary school fees! grin grin grin He refused and instead carries on terrorising others with his evolution THEORIES! grin grin grin

LMAO......have you noticed that the guy that you are cheerleading ran away after being hit wiht the evidence for common ancestry? grin grin

You too.....berra put up a rebuttal or sharrap! angry
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by seyibrown(f): 12:13am On Oct 30, 2012
Logicboy03:
LMAO......have you noticed that the guy that you are cheerleading ran away after being hit wiht the evidence for common ancestry? grin grin
You too.....berra put up a rebuttal or sharrap! angry

Have you started growing your wings, extendable arms and legs? grin grin Noticed that dark coin-sized spot under your foot? Watch out cos that is the beginning of that evolved anus I talked about before. grin grin . . . . and you should write a book on the pointlessness of vehicular transport in readiness for the winged generation that is coming after your generation of ape-descendants. They won't need cars/trains/planers cos they'll evolve into homo wingus (winged humans). grin grin

You no get yourself! grin grin Sharrap ko, sharrap ni! grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 12:38am On Oct 30, 2012
seyibrown:

Have you started growing your wings, extendable arms and legs? grin grin Noticed that dark coin-sized spot under your foot? Watch out cos that is the beginning of that evolved anus I talked about before. grin grin . . . . and you should write a book on the pointlessness of vehicular transport in readiness for the winged generation that is coming after your generation of ape-descendants. They won't need cars/trains/planers cos they'll evolve into homo wingus (winged humans). grin grin

You no get yourself! grin grin Sharrap ko, sharrap ni! grin grin

You craze ni
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by seyibrown(f): 1:06am On Oct 30, 2012
Logicboy03:
You craze ni

grin grin grin grin grin grin ROTFLMAO!
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by UyiIredia(m): 1:22am On Oct 30, 2012
Logicboy03:

grin grin grin grin grin

You are not making any sense. You said that facts are things that are empirically observed. Yet, you believe in god. You say that god is inferred from nature? I hope you know that "inferred" and "empirically observed" are two different things.

By your own definition, God doesnt exist. I would have said "epic fail" by now but this is such a win because you are realising that you're god is fake.

You stated that the common ancestor in evolution is a circular argument. Please, do not just state that something is circular if you dont understand it.

Scientific theories are never circular. In this case, the arguments are clear and simple. It is all in the DNA which we can see similar patterns in closely related species and less similar ones as we move towards distantly related ones. Furthermore, there is a universality in the genetic code of all living things.

These observations lead to the conclusion that all living things have a common descent (considering evolution)

Furthermore what nonsense are you talking about? The link does not tally with evidence from "morphological comparisions"? Where do you get this nonsense from?

The observations you mentioned can just as well prove common design and not common descent. Sure organisms have their ancestors but I sincerely doubt that maceoevolution of species from a common ancestor ever occurred.

I think your blind belief in evolution is hindering you from thinking this through clearly. As I said the genetic evidence fails because it assumes what it's trying to prove. You can bring up another 'evidence'.

BTW How do you handle the magic of evolution. The way the magic wand of natural selection changed bacteria to men starting from a so-called primeval soup.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:34am On Oct 30, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

The observations you mentioned can just as well prove common design and not common descent. Sure organisms have their ancestors but I sincerely doubt that maceoevolution of species from a common ancestor ever occurred.

I think your blind belief in evolution is hindering you from thinking this through clearly. As I said the genetic evidence fails because it assumes what it's trying to prove. You can bring up another 'evidence'.

BTW How do you handle the magic of evolution. The way the magic wand of natural selection changed bacteria to men starting from a so-called primeval soup.

All your claims in the above quote are false.

1) Common design is a legal term. What you mean to say is intelligent design. Intelligent design is not science or a scientifc theory and has been debunked. Even Davidylan has stopped trying to pass it off as science

2) You are talking nonsense. What do you mean that the genetic evidence assumes what it is trying to prove? How foolish can you get? All the genetic evidence shows is that ere are similarites is in the DNA among organism and even closer to closely related species.

3) Evolution is not magic. Intelligent design is magic.

4) People that believe in micro evolution and not macroevolution are foolish. They are doing the equivalent of saying that they do not believe in a monetary system but use gold coins. The line between macro and microevolution is grey.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by UyiIredia(m): 1:46am On Oct 30, 2012
Logicboy03:

All your claims in the above quote are false.

1) Common design is a legal term. What you mean to say is intelligent design. Intelligent design is not science or a scientifc theory and has been debunked. Even Davidylan has stopped trying to pass it off as science

2) You are talking nonsense. What do you mean that the genetic evidence assumes what it is trying to prove? How foolish can you get? All the genetic evidence shows is that ere are similarites is in the DNA among organism and even closer to closely related species.

3) Evolution is not magic. Intelligent design is magic.

4) People that believe in micro evolution and not macroevolution are foolish. They are doing the equivalent of saying that they do not believe in a monetary system but use gold coins. The line between macro and microevolution is grey.

* What I said was common design. Stop putting words into my mouth. ID has not been debunked in any way and the movement still remains strong.

* It tries to prove that organisms come from a common ancestor. It assumes that closely matched sequences signify this. That is maifestly circular - and baseless. Deal with it.

* Evolution is indeed magic. How else do you get men from ape-like beings if not through abracadabra.

* Macroevolution has no proof whatsoever. No one has or could possibly have witnessed the rise of new species from old ones in deeptime. However microecvolution (or variation within a species) is well-documented.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 2:38am On Oct 30, 2012
Uyi Iredia:
* What I said was common design. Stop putting words into my mouth. ID has not been debunked in any way and the movement still remains strong.

The intelligent design movement that has failed to publish one scientific paper on any science journal? LMAO grin grin

Even catholics dont buy intelligent design- they teach evolution in schools.

Intelligent design has been debunked....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design#Scientific_criticism

Give up.

Uyi Iredia:
* It tries to prove that organisms come from a common ancestor. It assumes that closely matched sequences signify this. That is maifestly circular - and baseless. Deal with it.

Fail.

Wrong. It does not assume or try to prove such. It irrefutably shows that there are more similarities in the dna of closely related species. Simple. From that we can infer that these species have a common ancestor.

The simplest and most powerful evidence is provided by phylogenetic reconstruction. Such reconstructions, especially when done using slowly evolving protein sequences, are often quite robust and can be used to reconstruct a great deal of the evolutionary history of modern organisms (and even in some instances such as the recovered gene sequences of mammoths, Neanderthals or T. rex, the evolutionary history of extinct organisms).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_common_descent

That is only one piece of the evidence. Follow the link and read more.

Uyi Iredia:
* Evolution is indeed magic. How else do you get men from ape-like beings if not through abracadabra.

Evolution is magic? Why dont you reject the treatment for this years flu and take the same treatment of two years ago? You will die because the virus/bacteria has evolved.

People like you are dangerous to the advancement of science and technology. I have friends that have use cow bone fragments to help regrow their lost jawbone. Such a treatment is from the acceptance of evolution and evolutionary thinking. We humans are animals. mammals at the end of the day.

Uyi Iredia:
* Macroevolution has no proof whatsoever. No one has or could possibly have witnessed the rise of new species from old ones in deeptime. However microecvolution (or variation within a species) is well-documented.

Really?
Macroevolution that has been observed in the lab?

http://www.dbskeptic.com/2008/06/21/macro-evolution-observed-in-the-laboratory/
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by UyiIredia(m): 3:01am On Oct 30, 2012
Logicboy03:

The intelligent design movement that has failed to publish one scientific paper on any science journal? LMAO grin grin

Even catholics dont buy intelligent design- they teach evolution in schools.

Intelligent design has been debunked....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_design#Scientific_criticism

Give up.

ID has not been debunked in any way. And quit posting Wikipedia for ID. I've rrad the articled and they are inaccurate and a mischaracterization of the ID stance.

Logicboy03: Fail.

Wrong. It does not assume or try to prove such. It irrefutably shows that there are more similarities in the dna of closely related species. Simple. From that we can infer that these species have a common ancestor.

The simplest and most powerful evidence is provided by phylogenetic reconstruction. Such reconstructions, especially when done using slowly evolving protein sequences, are often quite robust and can be used to reconstruct a great deal of the evolutionary history of modern organisms (and even in some instances such as the recovered gene sequences of mammoths, Neanderthals or T. rex, the evolutionary history of extinct organisms).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_of_common_descent

That is only one piece of the evidence. Follow the link and read more.

I've told you it is circular. You can continue playing deaf and keep blabbing.

Logicboy03: Evolution is magic? Why dont you reject the treatment for this years flu and take the same treatment of two years ago? You will die because the virus/bacteria has evolved.

People like you are dangerous to the advancement of science and technology. I have friends that have use cow bone fragments to help regrow their lost jawbone. Such a treatment is from the acceptance of evolution and evolutionary thinking. We humans are animals. mammals at the end of the day.

Did the bacteria grow arms and legs the way the evolutionary theory expects us to believe ? No. Bacterias & viruses are still bacteria & viruses. As usual, you bring non-sequiturs to the table.

BTW, you may be an animal but I'd like to think of myself as a special someone made in God's image. Stick with the apes if you like.

Logicboy03: Really?
Macroevolution that has been observed in the lab?

http://www.dbskeptic.com/2008/06/21/macro-evolution-observed-in-the-laboratory/

Nonsense. That article was about an old experiment by Richard Lenski with E. Coli bacteria. Some of the bacteria evolved the ability to digest citrate. They still remained bacteria. That's microevolution not macroevolution. Why do you lie for evolution ?

1 Like

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 3:29am On Oct 30, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

ID has not been debunked in any way. And quit posting Wikipedia for ID. I've rrad the articled and they are inaccurate and a mischaracterization of the ID stance.

Intelligent design has been destroyed. It has no scientific papers in any scientific journal!

Here is a simple debunking quote;

Intelligence as an observable quality

The phrase intelligent design makes use of an assumption of the quality of an observable intelligence, a concept that has no scientific consensus definition. William Dembski, for example, has written that "Intelligence leaves behind a characteristic signature". The characteristics of intelligence are assumed by intelligent design proponents to be observable without specifying what the criteria for the measurement of intelligence should be

Uyi Iredia:
I've told you it is circular. You can continue playing deaf and keep blabbing.

Yes sir. Mr Uyi Iredia is right! He claims that well researched and documented scientific facts are circular. The scientist that have compiled the evidence and cleary sttated their arguments are wrong and circular.

While presenting no supporting evidence for his stance, Mr Uyi Iredia is right. The genetic evidence for common ancestry is circular.

Uyi Iredia:
Did the bacteria grow arms and legs the way the evolutionary theory expects us to believe ? No. Bacterias & viruses are still bacteria & viruses. As usual, you bring non-sequiturs to the table.

BTW, you may be an animal but I'd like to think of myself as a special someone made in God's image. Stick with the apes if you like.

I see you fail to understand what macroevolution is. No wonder you dont believe in it-- the arrogance of ignorance!!!

Seriously, human beings are apes. The same way "macro-evolved" bacteria are still bacteria. You and I are apes from the hominidae family. What matters is the species.

Unfortunately, Adam and Eve is a lie.

Uyi Iredia:
Nonsense. That article was about an old experiment by Richard Lenski with E. Coli bacteria. Some of the bacteria evolved the ability to digest citrate. They still remained bacteria. That's microevolution not macroevolution. Why do you lie for evolution ?

I see you fail to understand what macroevolution is. No wonder you dont believe in it-- the arrogance of ignorance!!!

Seriously, human beings are apes. The same way "macro-evolved" bacteria are still bacteria. You and I are apes from the hominidae family. What matters is the species.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by pastormustwacc: 3:57am On Oct 30, 2012
I love this thread, keep it going guys.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 11:46am On Oct 30, 2012
pastormustwacc: I love this thread, keep it going guys.

smiley
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Ezeufi: 1:11pm On Oct 30, 2012
Which bible? There are so many of them. NIV, KJV, NKJV, CATHOLIC VERSION, and so forth.

WHICH ONE?
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Moukafoam(f): 1:13pm On Oct 30, 2012
If God allow miracle to happen in a church, millions will sell their soul to the pastor and forget the God Jehovah that made it happened.

No wonder some evil pastors now go extra lenght to perform miracles cheesy
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Oct 30, 2012
ifeness: Kids learn better when shown pictures.

Christiasn learn better when told miracle stories.
I couldn't have said it better! Smart dude!
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by wiegraf: 1:18pm On Oct 30, 2012
Front page awesome imminent...
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 30, 2012
Logicboy03:

Intelligent design has been destroyed. It has no scientific papers in any scientific journal!

Here is a simple debunking quote;

Intelligence as an observable quality

The phrase intelligent design makes use of an assumption of the quality of an observable intelligence, a concept that has no scientific consensus definition. William Dembski, for example, has written that "Intelligence leaves behind a characteristic signature". The characteristics of intelligence are assumed by intelligent design proponents to be observable without specifying what the criteria for the measurement of intelligence should be

Yes sir. Mr Uyi Iredia is right! He claims that well researched and documented scientific facts are circular. The scientist that have compiled the evidence and cleary sttated their arguments are wrong and circular.

While presenting no supporting evidence for his stance, Mr Uyi Iredia is right. The genetic evidence for common ancestry is circular.

Unfortunately, Adam and Eve is a lie.

I disagree with your assertion 'human beings are apes'. I quite understand what you are trying to say that human beings are primate a classification which apes belong to. I agree with your comment.

Christians are ignorantly sentimental about miracles and other contradictory things in the bible!
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Oct 30, 2012
Moukafoam: If God allow miracle to happen in a church, millions will sell their soul to the pastor and forget the God Jehovah that made it happened.

No wonder some evil pastors now go extra lenght to perform miracles cheesy

lol......Many churches are now involved in man-worship
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Oct 30, 2012
Ezeufi: Which bible? There are so many of them. NIV, KJV, NKJV, CATHOLIC VERSION, and so forth.

WHICH ONE?

Pick and choose grin
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 30, 2012
all4naija: I disagree with your assertion 'human beings are apes'. I quite understand what you are trying to say that human beings are primate a classification which apes belong to. I agree with your comment.

Christians are ignorantly sentimental about miracles and other contradictory things in the bible!

No problem bros.

It depends on what we define as "ape". wink
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 30, 2012
Logicboy03:

That is a fact.....all organisms share common ancestry.

Anyway, there is no need to even debate with you. Evidence is in your front. You are no different from the fools that believe that the earth is only 6,000 years old.

Most educated christians have stopped fighting against the science of evolution- even the catholic church.

There is no place in the bible where it is stated that the earth is 6000years old, and if you are so much into scientifics why don't you do the proper biblical calculation and get a product of :

If 1000years is a day in GOD's eyes then
The earth according to generations of fore-fathers
Will be 6000 x 365 x 1000 which will give us
2,190,000,000 (Two billion,one hundred and ninety million years plus old)
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by pastormustwacc: 1:36pm On Oct 30, 2012
Logicboy03:

lol......Many churches are now involved in man-worship
Walahi, na which church them dey worship man? I go bomb that church with the fire of the holy ghost.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 30, 2012
sadeiyare:

There is no place in the bible where it is stated that the earth is 6000years old

It is not stated but there is always records of the timeline. The timeline happens to be about 6000 years. If you don't know that you aren't reading your bible yet quick to point out what is really what the records said.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Oct 30, 2012
sadeiyare:

There is no place in the bible where it is stated that the earth is 6000years old

Counting from Adam to Moses and Moses to present day will give you 6,000 years
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Oct 30, 2012
pastormustwacc:
Walahi, na which church them dey worship man? I go bomb that church with the fire of the holy ghost.

Take pastor Chris's church for example. Some of the pastors even relaxed their hair to be like him.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 30, 2012
Logicboy03:

Counting from Adam to Moses and Moses to present day will give you 6,000 years

There is no place in the bible where it is stated that the earth is 6000years old, and if you are so much into scientifics why don't you do the proper biblical calculation and get a product of :

Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Oct 30, 2012
sadeiyare:

The earth is actually 4.54 billion years. The bible still fails.
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Oct 30, 2012
Logicboy03:

The earth is actually 4.54 billion years. The bible still fails.

Nope because it never did tell how many years the earth is, only scientist did because they are the only ones doing calculations here
Re: How Do Christians Handle Miracles/magic In The Bible? by epmmiks: 1:53pm On Oct 30, 2012
U are not a good logicians then, if i were u i will repent of my sins and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, u ve got nothing to lose but so much to gain

how does that make sense?

The bible is incomplete and you are claiming that I believe it?[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Apostolic Church (LAWNA) 40th International Convention. / If You Were Asked To Preach In Your Church, What Will Be Your Message? / Is Cleanliness Really Next To Godliness?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.