Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,473 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

"I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? (60361 Views)

What's The English Word For "Shakara" / Funny Facts About English Language / New Word In The English Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Oct 30, 2012
ogugua88:

It's/its
There/they're/their
Your/you're

I'm in university and proofread essays at times. Too many times do students get the above three confused. Either they don't know or they don't care to know. I'm convinced the falling standards of the English language isn't subject to Nigerians alone. That certainly doesn't make it alright, however.
I think it's because a lot of them have gotten so used to using those words colloquially that they unconsciously apply them to their formal writing.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by zibe(m): 8:19pm On Oct 30, 2012
Thought I was the only one that noticed such.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by nikkyshyne(f): 8:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
Other mistakes I see on nairaland.
Been/being
Those/does
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by ANALIST: 8:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
It matters. The point must be made that when we feel facebook account we chose Queen's English when some can't differentiate the above words in an examination. To resort to sel-help of begging any kind of communication than the real intent of the communicator and the context of the communication is the worst kind of deterioration in our official language.

Better learn well and stick to what you know than to hope that Engilsh concord and and other rules be changed just for your sake because you will end as mediocre when you were created an excellent.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by bjohnsen: 8:23pm On Oct 30, 2012
Another very common error is when people use the word ''as'' instead of ''has'' e.g. ''as weak potentials''
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by manny4life(m): 8:23pm On Oct 30, 2012
ItsModella:
Learned is American English while learnt is British. I also had the same problem with words like burnt/burned, spoilt/spoiled, spilt/spilled, smelt/smelled, spelt/spelled.

ogugua88:

Learned and learnt are interchangeable I believe. Learned is American English whereas learnt is British English. Allegedly, there was a rule that made the past participle of learn "learnt". The rule no longer exists, but the word is still used.

Well, ok... Personally, I just thought it was wrong.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by SisiKill1: 8:23pm On Oct 30, 2012
datola: What's the the pride in being expert in another man's language. We can study science in our languages and be the best in innovation.

This is such a lazy excuse to be ignorant. undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by SisiKill1: 8:24pm On Oct 30, 2012
bjohnsen: Another very common error is when people use the word ''as'' instead of ''has'' e.g. ''as weak potentials''

And "Could of" for "Could have", "would of" for "Would have" and "Should of" for "Should have"

. . . . .it's like people don't read books anymore.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by bee444: 8:26pm On Oct 30, 2012
ayobase:

allow misscorrection to do her job!

Miscorrection!
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Oct 30, 2012
tubolancer: I need readers for my manuscripts, I have edited the manuscript but I was not satisfy. I teach English Language in a private school, I want volunters readers to spot the remaining errors within the book. I shall post the book chapter by chapter everyday, I do not want errors in my work. Readers should include their phone numbers.
send me a mail via nairaland
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by oluwagbami(m): 8:28pm On Oct 30, 2012
This trend is getting worse by the day and our educational structures have not been doing anything about it. The phenomenon is mostly felt via SMS, BBMessaging and Twitter platforms where individuals use abbreviations to connote or perhaps pass their messages across to recipients. let us start like this, with the hope that in a little while it will receive wider acceptability and of course, the desired result...........
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Oct 30, 2012
Sisi_Kill:

And "Could of" for "Could have". . .it's like people don't read books anymore.
or when people use "will/would" interchangeably...kai.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by bealuv(f): 8:39pm On Oct 30, 2012
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by bealuv(f): 8:43pm On Oct 30, 2012
datola: What's the the pride in being expert in another man's language. We can study science in our languages and be the best in innovation.
yes,here comes the Nigerian "never ready to learn and correct my mistakes" mentality.
your question is what is the pride in being an expert at anoda man's language(i.e english) right?
i'll answer with another question....how many countries in the world can you take yoruba or igbo or hausa too and you ll be whole-heartedly received??
if you can answer that then you have answered your question
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by DeGrace01(m): 8:46pm On Oct 30, 2012
Noted, Thanks.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Oct 30, 2012
hmm. where do we start?

Not only on Nl. its also used on other social media platforms.

'am' is a verb, hence the person carrying out the action must be described in the sentence properly. eg.

question : Toba what are u doing right now
answer: I am posting a reply to a topic on Nairaland forum
answer: Am posting a reply to a topic on Nairaland forum
answer: I'm posting a reply to a topic on Nairaland forum

the second answer makes no sense cos the Am doesnt say anything about me.

another example.

Did you take my pen?
answer : I am not the one that took your pen
answer: Am not the one that took your pen

'Am' can be used to start a sentence in this way.

Am i the one that took ur pen?
Am i responsible for ur pregnancy?

I don try. i no too sabi English cheesy

3 Likes

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by sushieater: 8:51pm On Oct 30, 2012
he's/his, safe/save, belief/believe, concern/consign
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by samwash(m): 8:53pm On Oct 30, 2012
In my yrs of research, i come to discover that Nigerians and Kenya has the same problem went it comes to spoken and written English.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by violent(m): 8:54pm On Oct 30, 2012
Unless you are a regular writer and have nurtured your writing skills over a long period, I don't see how certain grammatical errors are completely unavoidable, especially ones for which words are pronounced exactly the same way to mean exactly the same thing.

Making the best choice between "can" or "could", "will" or "would", "advise" or "advice" "offense" or "offence"...etc, is mostly reflected in a user's self determination to learn the proper use of those words, which itself can only be as a result of a passion for writing. Even many native English speakers make such grammatical errors on a regular basis, I'm not sure it's enough justification to request their head on a spike.

However, there are other forms of mistakes that are just abysmal.

1 Like

Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by strangest(m): 9:03pm On Oct 30, 2012
Inferiority complex is when you try as much as possible to imitate a white mans language. We are Nigerians and if Americans can refer to "want to" as "wanna", "got to" as "gonna" and "twenty" as twenny, even sef the digit 1900 is referred to as Nineteen Hundred instead of one thousand nine hundred. Is that not GBAGAUN to the highest level? NO its not.. Its called American English... Who is fooling who? Abegii all those GBAGAUN that you read about everyday including the ones dey claimed Patience made are nothing but NIGERIAN ENGLISH. E0D
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by chucky234(m): 9:20pm On Oct 30, 2012
eduson55: **organization
**sophisticated aboki
LMAO
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
bealuv:
yes,here comes the Nigerian "never ready to learn and correct my mistakes" mentality.
your question is what is the pride in being an expert at anoda man's language(i.e english) right?
i'll answer with another question....how many countries in the world can you take yoruba or igbo or hausa too and you ll be whole-heartedly received??
if you can answer that then you have answered your question

Now that you're Queen Elizabeth of Grammar...
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by phemi01(m): 9:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
tubolancer: I need readers for my manuscripts, I have edited the manuscript but I was not satisfy. I teach English Language in a private school, I want volunters readers(volunteer readers) to spot the remaining errors within the book. I shall post the book chapter by chapter everyday, I do not want errors in my work. Readers should include their phone numbers.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by 2nedo(m): 9:22pm On Oct 30, 2012
deols: I believe a time is coming when all of these wouldnt matter anymore. The key would be,communication and once you are able to do that,you are good to go.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by chucky234(m): 9:25pm On Oct 30, 2012
dabigwalls:

Thank you for the correction on sophistication.

What is wrong with "organisation" as spelt?

Cheers
You wrongly spelt organization as "orgarnisation"
To master the English language is not an easy task,ask a French man,Arab man,Indian man and Asians if you really want to know how difficult it is to master the Queen's language.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Oct 30, 2012
deols: I believe a time is coming when all of these wouldnt matter anymore. The key would be,communication and once you are able to do that,you are good to go.
Exactly..
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by 2nedo(m): 9:29pm On Oct 30, 2012
[quoteTell them author=strangest]Inferiority complex is when you try as much as possible to imitate a white mans language. We are Nigerians and if Americans can refer to "want to" as "wanna", "got to" as "gonna" and "twenty" as twenny, even sef the digit 1900 is referred to as Nineteen Hundred instead of one thousand nine hundred. Is that not GBAGAUN to the highest level? NO its not.. Its called American English... Who is fooling who?
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by wellmax(m): 9:30pm On Oct 30, 2012
@ OP, thanks for this thread. 'AM' errors is so common these days Äπϑ I just get kind of irritated whenever I see people use it especially in official writings.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by chucky234(m): 9:30pm On Oct 30, 2012
samwash: In my yrs of research, i come to discover that Nigerians and Kenya has the same problem went it comes to spoken and written English.
went it comes to spoken and written English? Are you kidding me,guess you must be a Kenyan.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by 2nedo(m): 9:32pm On Oct 30, 2012
strangest: Inferiority complex is when you try as much as possible to imitate a white mans language. We are Nigerians and if Americans can refer to "want to" as "wanna", "got to" as "gonna" and "twenty" as twenny, even sef the digit 1900 is referred to as Nineteen Hundred instead of one thousand nine hundred. Is that not GBAGAUN to the highest level? NO its not.. Its called American English... Who is fooling who? Abegii all those GBAGAUN that you read about everyday including the ones dey claimed Patience made are nothing but NIGERIAN ENGLISH. E0D
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by Dandy1(m): 9:33pm On Oct 30, 2012
ItsModella:
Learned is American English while learnt is British. I also had the same problem with words like burnt/burned, spoilt/spoiled, spilt/spilled, smelt/smelled, spelt/spelled.
Words like these fall into the group called ''irregular verbs''.They are those verbs that don't play by the normal rules/trend ''regular'' verbs follow.
Re: "I'm" Or "Am" - Why Are We Such Careless Users Of The English Language? by ferhyntorlah(f): 9:34pm On Oct 30, 2012
tubolancer: I need readers for my manuscripts, I have edited the manuscript but I was not satisfy. I teach English Language in a private school, I want volunters readers to spot the remaining errors within the book. I shall post the book chapter by chapter everyday, I do not want errors in my work. Readers should include their phone numbers.

I need readers for my manuscripts; I have edited the manuscript but I was not satisfied. I teach English Language in a private school, I want volunteer readers to spot the remaining errors in the book. I shall post the book chapter by chapter everyday, I do not want errors in my work. Readers should include their phone numbers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Curious / DARK MYSTERIES: SEASON 1 / The Sugar Mum (the Steamy Version)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.