Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,936 members, 7,814,172 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel (25759 Views)

Somebody Tell Benjamin Netanyahu That Igbo Are The Lost Tribe Of Gad! / The Pain And Toture Behind The Dinka Tribe of Sudan Scars / Another Lost Tribe Found In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by NegroNtns(m): 12:38am On Nov 19, 2012
Energy48: The Hebrews came to settle in Africa THREEE THOUSAND YEARS ago not a few hundred years ago. The mistake you and others make is assume we are talking about 200 years of Yoruba history. The fact of the matter is Bishop Crowther wiped out Yoruba history when he changed the people's name to Yoruba. Hence most Yoruba people can't tell their History past when Crowther changed the name. Despite this tragedy in history some like to maintain the ignorance. Not anymore! The people needs to know their true identity and it is not Yoruba, but HEBREW.

Bishop Crowther did not wipe anything out in history. If anything he did wromg it would be the latinization of Yoruba alphabets.

Yoruba as a term of usage for the people preceeded Sultan Bello. If Bello called us Yoruba, where did he get this term from.? Did he invent it or heard it passed down? People that have no knowledge of who Qahtan was are readily cliging to what was first written about Yoruba, which came down from Bello.....but what about unwritten knowledge that survived oral transmission, should we reject them? Yoruba was not given to us by Bello, it was not guven to us by Crowther and neither was it given to us by British. We have always had and known ourselves to be Yoruba.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by Energy48(m): 12:56am On Nov 19, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

I believe I have enough posts in NL to take you from Oduduwa to Noah.. Search different archived topics on Oduduwa and you will find my link of him to Joktan (Qahtan).
What is that supposed to mean? That you are some kind of authority on Yoruba history? From the little I have read from you about the Yoruba, I am fully convinced you know very little about Yoruba history. Hence I wont waste my time digging up anything YOU have written about the Yoruba past.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by Energy48(m): 1:04am On Nov 19, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Bishop Crowther did not wipe anything out in history. If anything he did wromg it would be the latinization of Yoruba alphabets.

Yoruba as a term of usage for the people preceeded Sultan Bello. If Bello called us Yoruba, where did he get this term from.? Did he invent it or heard it passed down? People that have no knowledge of who Qahtan was are readily cliging to what was first written about Yoruba, which came down from Bello.....but what about unwritten knowledge that survived oral transmission, should we reject them? Yoruba was not given to us by Bello, it was not guven to us by Crowther and neither was it given to us by British. We have always had and known ourselves to be Yoruba.

My friend, prior to Crowther christening the people Yoruba, that was not their name.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by NegroNtns(m): 2:23am On Nov 19, 2012
Energy48: The fact remains, if someone does not know their history past 200 years. Such a person has no right coming up with statements like and I quote; "Yoruba is never a lost tribe of anybody...Yoruba has roots in Afro Asia but as a proto Semitic and legitimate branch of the Noahdic lines.....Yoruba is not of that line or anybody's line beside Noah's, period!" Unquote. Doing so is tantamount to the BLIND leading the blind.

.......but I know my history past 200yrs.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by NegroNtns(m): 2:26am On Nov 19, 2012
Energy48:
What is that supposed to mean? That you are some kind of authority on Yoruba history? From the little I have read from you about the Yoruba, I am fully convinced you know very little about Yoruba history. Hence I wont waste my time digging up anything YOU have written about the Yoruba past.

Are you the author of this book you are sponsorig for free read or are you convert of the history the book propagates?
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by NegroNtns(m): 2:28am On Nov 19, 2012
Energy48:

My friend, prior to Crowther christening the people Yoruba, that was not their name.

So who coined Yoruba and what does it mean? If it was coined by the fulanis then it must mean something in Fulani. What does it mean?
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by amor4ce(m): 6:02am On Nov 19, 2012
Energy48, I've gone through your e-book.

There are no 2 Messiahs, only one.

I very much doubt that Erveh is a cognate of Oyo. Note that there is no 'v' sound in the Yoruba language but 'w', thus the possibility of 'w' changing to 'v' as the Erveh migrated westwards from the former Oyo empire should be considered.

The true descendants of Jacob never practiced anything like the Judaism of the Indo-European identity thieves. Judaism is a poor attempt (but infused with a lot of evil) at reconstructing the true spiritual system. Get more info about vodoo and ifa to avoid blasphemy.

The translation of the Micah's figurines as 'idol' is very misleading, and perhaps mischievous too.

Would you care to let us know the names of the other 5 tribes that you identified along with very brief info/hint about the markers?
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by 740megawatts: 8:52am On Nov 19, 2012
Interesting discussion...
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by Energy48(m): 11:40am On Nov 19, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

.......but I know my history past 200yrs.
Prove it! What was the name of the people before Crowther changed it to Yoruba. You should know this if you know the history past 200 years.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by Energy48(m): 11:57am On Nov 19, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

So who coined Yoruba and what does it mean? If it was coined by the fulanis then it must mean something in Fulani. What does it mean?
You tell me! You claim you know Yoruba history past 200 years. So you have a name that we all know started with Crowther. What were the people called before Crowther christened them Yoruba? It is simple answer if you know Yoruba history. And here is a hint. The Fulani in Bello's time NEVER called the people Yoruba. That name started with the colonialists and has since become established.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by Energy48(m): 11:59am On Nov 19, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

Are you the author of this book you are sponsorig for free read or are you convert of the history the book propagates?
This is nothing to do with personalities for you to be asking such a question. Meaning you deal with the message, not the messenger.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by akintun: 2:22pm On Nov 19, 2012
Hw is Yoruba related to Israel. Hav not read it, and I don't intend to.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by TonySpike: 2:28pm On Nov 19, 2012
akintun: Hw is Yoruba related to Israel. Hav not read it, and I don't intend to.
Then kindly keep your opinion to yourself if you are not interested, sir. We are having a wonderful discussion here. Thanks
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by TonySpike: 2:46pm On Nov 19, 2012
Energy48: You tell me! You claim you know Yoruba history past 200 years. So you have a name that we all know started with Crowther. What were the people called before Crowther christened them Yoruba? It is simple answer if you know Yoruba history. And here is a hint. The Fulani in Bello's time NEVER called the people Yoruba. That name started with the colonialists and has since become established.

I cannot say for sure where the name Yoruba came from. As a matter of fact, you appear to be somewhat correct on this. The reason I support you on this is because most Yorubas were addressed by the names of their dialectical enclave e.g. we have the Oyos, Ibadans, Ijeshas, Akokos, Egbas, Ekitis, Ijebus e.t.c. It seem the populace split according to their their language intelligibility. Therefore, if the Yoruba people were referred to as EVRH, it must have been a long ago before language dialect identification was applied. I hope you understand, sir?

As a diversion, I have some questions to ask you on the tribe of Dan. In the ebook link above, it was mentioned that Dahomey is an offshoot of this group. From my understanding, people from the tribe of Dan were great sailors alongside the Phoenicians. In the time of Solomon and perhaps, David they were the sea-farers and merchants. Today, the name Dan is reputed to be prevalent in Europe, this can be seen in the names like Danube (River), Denmark (country), infact, the whole of Ireland is full of locations starting with Dan and Dunn. Can we safely assume that a substantial number of the tribe of Dan actually settled in Scandinavia and Northern Europe? I need your opinion on this. Thanks.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by Energy48(m): 6:23pm On Nov 19, 2012
Tony Spike:

I cannot say for sure where the name Yoruba came from. As a matter of fact, you appear to be somewhat correct on this. The reason I support you on this is because most Yorubas where addressed by the names of their dialectical enclave e.g. we have the Oyos, Ibadans, Ijeshas, Akokos, Egbas, Ekitis, Ijebus e.t.c. It seem the populace split according to their their language intelligibility. Therefore, if the Yoruba people were referred to as EVRH, it must have been a long ago before language dialect identification was applied. I hope you understand, sir?

As a diversion, I have some questions to ask you on the tribe of Dan. In the ebook link above, it was mentioned that Dahomey is an offshoot of this group. From my understanding, people from the tribe of Dan were great sailors alongside the Phoenicians. In the time of Solomon and perhaps, David they were the sea-farers and merchants. Today, the name Dan is reputed to be prevalent in Europe, this can be seen in the names like Danube (River), Denmark (country), infact, the whole of Ireland is full of locations starting with Dan and Dunn. Can we safely assume that a substantial number of the tribe of Dan actually settled in Scandinavia and Northern Europe? I need your opinion on this. Thanks.

The name Oyo or Yor only referred to the original inhabitants of Old Oyo. Therefore, you are absolutely correct that the people have always been known by, as you put it, dialectical enclave names like e.g. we have the Oyos, Ibadans, Ijeshas, Akokos, Egbas, Ekitis, Ijebus e.t.c. However, despite these enclave names, the people collectively had a unifying designation, as people of one nation. This is the name Bello used to identify them - YARBA.

You also mentioned if the people were referred to as ERVERH that must have been long ago. Yes, and No! Is the answer to that. YES, in the sense that ERVERH is the ancestral name and it is thousands of years old. NO, in the sense that the name was in use just a few hundred years ago by their neighbours. Yarba is Erverh being mispronounced by the non-Erverh Fulani person. Try pronouncing Yarba and Erverh and you will find it sounds almost the same. Yer-Berh (Yarba) and Erh-Verh (Erverh)! Did you see how the two words sound amlost the same? It is no secret in Africa we tend to mispronounce our neighbours name. It is rare we pronounce our neighbours names correctly. Hence the Fulani knew the people by the proper designation which is Erverh but mispronounced it as Yer-berh (Yarba). Nevertheless, the people of Dahomey down south being kinsmen of the people of Old Oyo knew the proper or right pronunciation, which is Erverh, the plural of which is ErverhO. This name the Europeans wrote as Eyeo cos they did not have the VAV sound in the alphabet to write it out correctly. Thus, as you can see, it was not so long ago the names Yerberh (Yarba) or ErverhO (Eyeo), the original name of the people was in vogue. 200 years ago the people themselves including their neighbours knew themselves as Yer-Berh (Yarba) or ErverhO (Eyeo).

When Old Oyo was destroyed by the jihadist, most of the inhabitants found themselves on the Slave ships to the Americas. However, a sizeable number escaped and are currently found in the Volta Region of Ghana, Togo and the Abeokuta region. Even though my family is predominatly in Togo, we still have ancestral relatives still living in Badagry. You will find these (whether in Volta Region, Togo or Badagry) have the original history and will readily tell you they are the original inhabitants of Old Oyo or Yor.

Unfortunately the name Yarba became corrupted to Yarriba when other Europeans stumbled upon the name. Things changed for the worse and the name Erverh became lost when after the fall of Old Oyo, the various tribal enclaves sought refuge with the white missionaries to escape the Fulani jihad. The Europeans wanted a unifying name for all the people and they turned to their star protege, Samuel Crowther to come up with a unifying name for the people. Crowther as a good servant of his white masters did not want to stray far from Yarriba which the Europeans were familiar with and coined the name Yoruba. That in a nutshell is how the name Yoruba came about.

I will find time to address your other points about the tribe of Dan.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by Nobody: 8:30pm On Nov 19, 2012
Who created this thread? What is it dat u yoruba's have in common with d isralites? Is it witchcraftry, illiteracy or ofe mmanu? Atleast I knw d israelites are gifted with unimaginable tinz. Dnt get it twisted. Yoraba's have no atom of israelites in dia blood. Hw many of u went 2 skul? Or hav u eva heard that israelites are knwn for witchcraftry. Pls o wen nxt tym u create a thread, and u knw u're illiterally endowed pls create 2 ur standard.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by Nobody: 8:47pm On Nov 19, 2012
I wuldn't realy argue much if it were 2 b said d Igbos ar frm israel bt Yoruba's, 'OP'. I mean atleast d Igbos hav shown d DNA of d israelites. Look at d geniuses all ova america,they ar igbos. Computer geeks in d world ar Igbos. Nw hw did dis concerns wit witchcraftry.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by Nobody: 8:50pm On Nov 19, 2012
[size=8pt][/size] I have. Always wondered why igbos and the yoruba s dont seem to relate well, even though they both inter marry. There is always this tension between them why?
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:51pm On Nov 19, 2012
Chukskalidon: I wuldn't realy argue much if it were 2 b said d Igbos ar frm israel bt Yoruba's, 'OP'. I mean atleast d Igbos hav shown d DNA of d israelites. Look at d geniuses all ova america,they ar igbos. Computer geeks in d world ar Igbos. Nw hw did dis concerns wit witchcraftry.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^wow how shameful to see Igbos and Yorubas fighting over israeli ancestry when the worlds scientist are proposing öut of Africa" theory. * walks away disgusted tongue

nomsochris: [size=8pt][/size] I have. Always wondered why igbos and the yoruba s dont seem to relate well, even though they both inter marry. There is always this tension between them why?

they dont intermarry and are not supposed to do/ it is just the useless yunger generation.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by Nobody: 9:06pm On Nov 19, 2012
No one is fighting over israeli descendants.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by TonySpike: 9:06pm On Nov 19, 2012
Chukskalidon: Who created this thread? What is it dat u yoruba's have in common with d isralites? Is it witchcraftry, illiteracy or ofe mmanu? Atleast I knw d israelites are gifted with unimaginable tinz. Dnt get it twisted. Yoraba's have no atom of israelites in dia blood. Hw many of u went 2 skul? Or hav u eva heard that israelites are knwn for witchcraftry. Pls o wen nxt tym u create a thread, and u knw u're illiterally endowed pls create 2 ur standard.

It seems to me that you are the only illiterate on this thread. Everybody is making scholastic contributions to this thread and here you are, just howling like an embittered wolf. This thread is not about tribal war so get the hell out of here. By the way, I think you need to study your Bible properly, you are lacking in basic biblical knowledge. Thank you.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by amor4ce(m): 9:18pm On Nov 19, 2012
I suspect the DNA link he referred to is that of Homo antecessor.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by Nobody: 9:24pm On Nov 19, 2012
There is ntin scholastic as u av said on this thread and if anyone thinks he's making a scholastic contribution to the thread,he shuld knw he's jst as worthles as d thread.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by Nobody: 9:27pm On Nov 19, 2012
amor4ce: I suspect the DNA link he referred to is that of Homo antecessor.
Homo Antecessor? That's literally 'OP'. If u really wanna argue wit me,find sumtin more fascinating.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 19, 2012
This kind poster sef. It's just like an Arab claiming to be of red Indian descent.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by Nobody: 9:43pm On Nov 19, 2012
Interesting read so far...

The OP needs to change "Israel" to "Hebrew" because the "Jews" are the modern day Israelites, and everyone knows they're frauds... They're not the original hebrews, just converts in the mid-ages...
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by Nobody: 10:01pm On Nov 19, 2012
nomsochris: This kind poster sef. It's just like an Arab claiming to be of red Indian descent.
d tin no tire u
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by amor4ce(m): 10:22pm On Nov 19, 2012
I doubt that 'Energy48' is willing to consider opinions contrary to his. The term 'Yarba' or 'Yarriba' as pronounced by the Fulani should not be used for comparison with Erveh since the former is according to the Fulani tongue rather than Oyo tongue which is credible. To accuse Samuel Ajayi Crowther of changing history by allegedly introducing the name 'Yoruba' is, in my opinion presumptuous and weightless. Dierk Lange noted the correspondence between 'Yoruba' and 'Jeroboam' which is a closer match than with 'Erveh' and seems quite plausible since 'Jeroboam' is the name of the first king of the kingdom of northern Israel. People from other nations like the Fulani who were aware of this secession would have remembered that name.

What about the Hivites? 'Erveh' sounds very close.

There's another name by which our people were known and that is 'Aku'. It is not the same as 'e ku...' used in greeting but a name and may have the same meaning as the 'Aku' in 'Akute'. I want to believe that there are other Yoruba names that have 'Aku' in front.

What is the meaning of this Yoruba greeting: 'E WE SO O' or 'EWE SO O'? What are all the possible meanings of 'EWE' in Yoruba?

The Creator's name revealed to Moses according to Indo-European transliteration is EHYEH ASHER EHYEH' which in Yoruba is IYE ASHE IYE. Who can offer an etymology?
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by NegroNtns(m): 2:24am On Nov 20, 2012
Energy48: You tell me! You claim you know Yoruba history past 200 years. So you have a name that we all know started with Crowther. What were the people called before Crowther christened them Yoruba? It is simple answer if you know Yoruba history. And here is a hint. The Fulani in Bello's time NEVER called the people Yoruba. That name started with the colonialists and has since become established.

I dont even know why i need to prove Yoruba history to a non Yoruba. Just sit on the side with your new found history book and let people whose ancestral roots is Yoruba talk about genuine stuffs.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by zumbigbo(m): 2:57am On Nov 20, 2012
To all Africans looking to Israel for their roots, please go there now to argue with the Israelis and Palestinians. They have kept some rockets aside just to deal with their long-lost cousins looking to claim ancestral lands.
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by dayokanu(m): 3:10am On Nov 20, 2012
Have you ever considered that the NIMROD referred to might be Lamurudu father of Oduduwa

Nimrod the son of Cush, grandson of Ham, great-grandson of Noah. Cush is also known as Egypt and Ham was black I think

And Opa Oramiyan might be Staff of Orion

http://www.africastyles.com/blackhistory/yoruba_history2.html

http://yemitom./tag/lamurudu/
Re: You Might Want To Know That We Yorubas Are Part Of The Lost Tribe Of Israel by amor4ce(m): 6:50am On Nov 20, 2012
To all those mockers, it is written that the identity thieving oyinbo shall have been obliterated - burnt to ashes - when we return (Malachi 4:3). I guess the mockers mock because of envy/bad belle when they see those they traditionally envy being able to prove their association with tremendous evidence.

Who knows where Issachar is? Itsekiri?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Masquerade Unmasks Himself, Pleads For Money On The Streets Of Owerri / Somali And Korean Wedding! (korean Dude And Somali Princess) / The Pain And Toture Behind The Dinka Tribe of Sudan Scars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.