Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,984 members, 7,810,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:19 PM

What Has Marriage Taught You? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Has Marriage Taught You? (9857 Views)

What Open Marriage Taught One Man About Feminism / Has Marriage Been Made Marriage So Undesirable? / Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 04, 2012
@greatgod12 good points smiley

Marriage has taught me sharing and tolerance because I like my stuff to myself only and in a specific way but now I'm trying to tolerate people getting in my space for example.

It has taught me how to be a listener and a meek
and not quick to judge people.

It has taught me how to give second chances , especially my kids have thought me acceptance, forgiveness, patience because they test me every-time in those areas but I've extended the lesson I learn from them in every areas of my life.

I'm still learning to be content if what I have and hopefully I'll get there.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by knick(m): 2:25pm On Nov 04, 2012
Patience and tolerance, no doubt.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Agbgift(f): 2:36pm On Nov 04, 2012
Am nt married yet o, but wat I knw is dat marriage is an institution were we all keep learning from each oda, as none is perfect. D only tin dat graduate us from d insitution is death.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Agbgift(f): 2:36pm On Nov 04, 2012
Am nt married yet o, but wat I knw is dat marriage is an institution were we all keep learning from each oda, as none is perfect. D only tin dat graduate us from d insitution is death @ old age.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by engrfcuksmtin(m): 2:43pm On Nov 04, 2012
Selfless, tolerance, to be organized and responsible.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by hotchamalah(m): 2:52pm On Nov 04, 2012
eremy: I have learnt to not try to change my spouse but to change myself if I really desire a change.

You are welcome to share yours.

Only serious contributions needed please.
marriage has taught me to grow up fast,marriage has taught me patience n made me ReSponsible.may has taught me to sometimes be a different person.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by F00028: 2:52pm On Nov 04, 2012
-no matter how long you date there are sides to a person you never see till after you're married.

-it takes more than "love" to hold it together

1 Like

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by adultebony(m): 2:53pm On Nov 04, 2012
That it's not all about me
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by greatgod2012(f): 3:22pm On Nov 04, 2012
k2039:

I just saw some of your past grades

Marriage101:A
Marriage201:A
Marriage301:A
Marriage401:A
Marriage501:A

Expecting A's in the remaining courses

thanks so much, im flattered!
All glory be to God and thanks to my mother 4 good upbringing and finally to my best friend(my hubby) who understannd my inadequacies, and make marriage sweet 4 me.

3 Likes

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by ikachi1: 3:34pm On Nov 04, 2012
Marriage has taught me to be assured that "Someone is always watching my back".
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by mekaboy(m): 3:42pm On Nov 04, 2012
debrief08:
The annoying habit I wrote about is not a slap or cheating or major things, it things like hugging the remote, chewing like a cow, pouring water on the bathroom floor, scattering clothes, being a neat freak.
What is depressing about that?
CHAI , UR HUBBY DON SUFFER OO. SO HE CHEWS LIKE A COW AND ALL THAT, AND IT MAKES HIM UNIQUE? U FOR KUKUMA MARRY A COW.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by babysnogls: 4:12pm On Nov 04, 2012
Ijebulogic: Make sure you marry your true friend who makes you laugh....everything else will work out.
Its nt as simple as dt o my dear. A true friend who makes u laugh will soon make u wonder wt d joke is about if there's no money, there's quarrel either with him or inlaws, or u wonder why he acts d way he does. Sometimes, Love is nt enough.
All u need is God, Patience, kindness and understanding cos dt is wt i learnt.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by chucky234(m): 4:12pm On Nov 04, 2012
That too are better than one
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Millyonaire(m): 4:14pm On Nov 04, 2012
fellis: All these marriage threads never fail to depress me.
Look at all the sad lessons people are learning. . .
(Try not to change your spouse but change yourself, the annoying habit of your spouse makes them special and different, all that glitters is not gold, be patient and long suffering.) sad

My sis,the thing tire me o.

1 Like

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Nov 04, 2012
mekaboy: CHAI , UR HUBBY DON SUFFER OO. SO HE CHEWS LIKE A COW AND ALL THAT, AND IT MAKES HIM UNIQUE? U FOR KUKUMA MARRY A COW.
mekaboy: CHAI , UR HUBBY DON SUFFER OO. SO HE CHEWS LIKE A COW AND ALL THAT, AND IT MAKES HIM UNIQUE? U FOR KUKUMA MARRY A COW.
Did i say he chews ike a cow? I was giving examples of little annoying habit never said my husband does that
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by NovusHomo(m): 4:34pm On Nov 04, 2012
Marriage has taught me to NEVER, EVER get married.

Lagos: Woman Stuns Court: My Husband Is Not My Son's Biological Father
News Sunday, November 4, 2012

By Adeola Adenuga & Oluwatobiloba Adeyemi

A 38-year-old nurse, Mrs. Eunice Odidi, told a Lagos customary court sitting in Ajegunle that her husband, Mesheck, was not the biological father of her son.

She said she knew her husband was just having sex with her for the fun of it, because, according to her, he had low sperm count.

"When l noticed that my husband could not impregnate me, I advised him to approach a doctor who later confirmed that his sperm count was very low".

The petitioner said she decided to drag her husband to court in order not to make her child see him as his biological father.

Eunice, who claimed to be a member of the Bible Life Church, also informed the court that she lived together with her husband for three years, but did not get pregnant, adding that she met another man called Sule who impregnated her within three months.

" When l met Sule, l introduced him to Mesheck as my brother, because Mesheck did not know then that I had already got pregnant for Sule".

The wife therefore urged the court to dissolve the marriage and grant her the custory of the child.

Mesheck denied the allegation of low sperm count and told the court he would have sent Eunice packing when he realised that she was wayward.

'My wife enjoyed sex outside, but starved me of it'

A middle-aged man, Mr. Adeleke Adejumo, has also told an Ake customary court sitting in Abeokuta that his wife, Olanike, starved him of sex.

He claimed that what really caused their misunderstanding was that she always denied him of sex, adding that anytime he approached her for sex, she always picked quarrel with him.

The husband alleged that the wife was always flirting with young lovers.

"Men always called her on phone, and she used to tell them that she would join them in bars"".

Olanike denied the allegation, saying her husband would not allow her to go out any day he set aside to have sex with her.

The court adjourned the case for further hearing.

1 Like

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Sagamite(m): 4:48pm On Nov 04, 2012
fellis: All these marriage threads never fail to depress me.
Look at all the sad lessons people are learning. . .
(Try not to change your spouse but change yourself, the annoying habit of your spouse makes them special and different, all that glitters is not gold, be patient and long suffering.) sad

When you start realising you are more likely to benefit from marriage than your spouse, you will start learning.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by ifyalways(f): 5:12pm On Nov 04, 2012
Alot cheesy
Life and indeed marriage is never 50/50.we carry each other along.

I no longer sweat small stuff.not worth it.

I've become more caring,considerate and cunny.lol

I've learnt to how to let go of the past and concentrate on the future.done is done,move on or out. tongue

forgiveness is the key.forgive,trust again and forge ahead.I have come to understand the magic and power in the ffg phrases: "I'm sorry,I am wrong,forgive me"

A kiss is powerful, more effective and sweeter than tears or long speech.

Men are babies forever.they are so helpless without us women.

Love is a beautiful thing . kpekus is divine cool

2 Likes

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Nobody: 5:17pm On Nov 04, 2012
Sagamite:

When you start realising you are more likely to benefit from marriage than your spouse, you will start learning.

How is more beneficial for me?

I am the one with the jobs of earning money for the family and bearing kids and taking care of the house/kids. How is it more beneficial for me?
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 04, 2012
Sagamite:

fellis:

I am the one with the jobs of earning money for the family and bearing kids and taking care of the house/kids. How is it more beneficial for me?
Ghen Ghen, 90 page thread in the making
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Sagamite(m): 5:23pm On Nov 04, 2012
fellis:

You want the company more.

You want the attention more.

You want the monogamy more.

You have a biological disadvantage that might hinder your financial security.

You have a shorter mating attraction shelf-life, hence it benefits you more to legally have someone that promises to stay.

And, finally, if you are in the West, you have better odds of getting assets you did not work but get after divorce purely based on being married.

The way you expect a man to work hard to woo you, is the way the table turns that you have to work had to keep him keen on the marriage.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Nov 04, 2012
Sagamite:

You want the attention more.

You have a shorter mating attraction shelf-life, hence it benefits you more to legally have someone that promises to stay.

And, finally, if you are in the West, you have better odds of getting assets you did not work but get after divorce purely based on being married.

The way you expect a man to work hard to woo you, is the way the table turns that you have to work had to keep him keen on the marriage.
I mostly respect your views but this is sad, silly and an unfortunate generalisation, not every woman wants that. You are smarter than this abeg.

1 Like

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Nov 04, 2012
debrief08:
Ghen Ghen, 90 page thread in the making

grin I wouldn't mind that.
I fancy a good ol' light hearted argument.
Not that I am asking for one though. lipsrsealed

You want the attention more

You seem to be under the wrong assumption that ALL women are emotional, weak, needy creatures that need company more than men.
Some men actually want the company more than women. wink
They just hide their feelings because society has taught them that women should like the company of their partners more than men.
Also, I am not an emotional, needy, weakling. I can do without 'the company'. I have friends for goodness sake, if I need company I can go to them.

How exactly does this make marriage more beneficial for me?

Lol, by 'biological advantage' you're talking about childbearing right? Again, not all women crave the whole, 'child bearing after marriage' thing. A lot of women do it largely because of their religious convictions. I could get a sperm donor if I want a kid, I don't have to get married. Yes i know it is unconventional and even hateful to some people, but then again, marriage is not for everybody.

I doubt that I would be perturbed if I didn't get married. One major thing that would bother me about not getting married is the people that will not mind their business and will make it a point of talking bad about me behind my back for not doing as they did and getting married.
And that problem can be rectified by moving to a country where people who are not married are not constantly gossiped and treated like lepers.

I am not a gold digger so the above is null and void.

Lol. I actually am not a demanding person.
I am a very simple girl and I hardly make demands from people, whether I am dating them or not, because I just don't like causing inconvenience to others.
Considering this your last point,if I am very good to a man when we are dating and don't disturb him with demands, my struggling to keep him married to me will not be fair to me/would be wrong.
Moot point.

1 Like

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Sagamite(m): 6:14pm On Nov 04, 2012
debrief08:
I mostly respect your views but this is sad, silly and an unfortunate generalisation, not every woman wants that. You are smarter than this abeg.

Sorry, cutie, but I can't cater for all 3bn or so women in one post. I have to be intellectually efficient and generalise.

For every generalisation, I always say, there are exceptions. wink
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Sagamite(m): 6:27pm On Nov 04, 2012
fellis:
You seem to be under the wrong assumption that ALL women are emotional, weak, needy creatures that need company more than men.
Some men actually want the company more than women. wink
They just hide their feelings because society has taught them that women should like the company of their partners more than men.
Also, I am not an emotional, needy, weakling. I can do without 'the company'. I have friends for goodness sake, if I need company I can go to them.

Agreed. some men do want it more than women.

But, generally, women want it more.

You might be one of those women that don't but as per friends, I know women tend to be wary of female friends. They will rather have a man they can tell everything and who they think they can control.

fellis:
How exactly does this make marriage more beneficial for me?

Men want to bang multiple partners. They normally feel the need to sleep with as many women as possible. Pure, beautiful, glorious sexfiestaa.

Women tend to want emotional connection and develop one with people they sleep with. They tend to want monogamy or fewagamy grin.

Hence the modern marriage suits them more and is more beneficial.

See lower end of post about the biology.

https://www.nairaland.com/492527/fight-equality-ruining-marriages/14#msg6545768

fellis:
Lol, by 'biological advantage' you're talking about childbearing right? Again, not all women crave the whole, 'child bearing after marriage' thing. A lot of women do it largely because of their religious convictions. I could get a sperm donor if I want a kid, I don't have to get married. Yes i know it is unconventional and even hateful to some people, but then again, marriage is not for everybody.

Majority of women do crave.

It is science, baby.

And majority of them want it with a man and are normally better off having it with a man.

Life is not easy for most single mothers, ya know?

fellis:
I doubt that I would be perturbed if I didn't get married. One major thing that would bother me about not getting married is the people that will not mind their business and will make it a point of talking bad about me behind my back for not doing as they did and getting married.
And that problem can be rectified by moving to a country where people who are not married are not constantly gossiped and treated like lepers.

In every country there is a degree of it.

The back talk normally affects women more because they are naturally more emotional and react to criticism.

Most women love to be wanted and respected.

fellis:
I am not a gold digger so the above is null and void.

I love you. grin

fellis:
Lol. I actually am not a demanding person.
I am a very simple girl and I hardly make demands from people, whether I am dating them or not, because I just don't like causing inconvenience to others.
Considering this your last point,if I am very good to a man when we are dating and don't disturb him with demands, my struggling to keep him married to me will not be fair to me/would be wrong.
Moot point.

I love you more. cool

You need to start a school for girl grooming in Nigeria and teach them your values.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Nov 04, 2012
Sagamite:

Sorry, cutie, but I can't cater for all 3bn or so women in one post. I have to be intellectually efficient and generalise.

For every generalisation, I always say, there are exceptions. wink
With all due respect this is amazingly ignorant and rude, there are people here i expect shallow ignorant comments from and Sagamite is not one of them
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by InvertedHammer: 6:33pm On Nov 04, 2012
THAT LIFE SUCKS!!!

I WAS SUICIDAL WHEN I WAS MARRIED
cool
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Sagamite(m): 6:38pm On Nov 04, 2012
debrief08:
With all due respect this is amazingly ignorant and rude, there are people here i expect shallow ignorant comments from and Sagamite is not one of them

I don't get you. Explain.
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Nobody: 6:50pm On Nov 04, 2012
1. I have learnt that marriage is probably the most important decision in life.
2. I have learnt that you should not bring your past hurts and disappointments into your marriage
3. I have learnt that it is not how early you marry but it is how well your marriage is that matters. Life is a marathon and not a sprint. Look before you leap
4. I have learnt that true friendship is the meaning of love. Please marry your friend
5. I have learnt that your problems are best solved by the two of you. Third parties rarely help
6. I have learnt to "listen to understand" and not "listen to argue". You need to be a good listener in marriage
7. I have learnt that "united we stand" and "united we fall". The fall is more of going through problems rather than failure
8. I have learnt that my marriage should not be like any other. It can only be like mine and I have to make the best of it
9. I have learnt that the leader should be the servant of all. Leadership is about stewardship
10. I have learnt that you should learn to forgive 70*7 in a day
11. I have learnt to control my tongue. There is power of life and death in the tongue. Communication is key
12. I have learnt that one can out a thousand to flight and two can put ten thousand to flight. Two are better than one

2 Likes

Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Nov 04, 2012
Sagamite:

I don't get you. Explain.
there are people i expect to come and say marriage is a womans greatest achievement and an unmarried one must be miserable lonely and
all that but not you
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Sagamite(m): 7:30pm On Nov 04, 2012
debrief08:
there are people i expect to come and say marriage is a womans greatest achievement and an unmarried one must be miserable lonely and
all that but not you

Well, I never said that.

I never said marriage is the greatest achievement of a woman.

I said marriage tend to be more beneficial to women than it is for men.

Two completely different assertions.

You are being a typical woman, you interpreted it for me to "That implies .....", "You are basically saying ......", "What you mean was .......".

You know how you women like to start fights and omoboy would know he is not getting any sleep that night. tongue grin
Re: What Has Marriage Taught You? by Ama28(f): 9:59pm On Nov 04, 2012
I have always seen myself as totally independent and strict with the rules ( it got me the name condolesa rice at work). But marriage taught me what it means to partner and complement each other. Most importantly it thought me patience and humility. My son enhanced my sense of responsibility

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do You Stop Breast Milk Production? / My Father In Law Slept With My Mother / Ladies How Do You Manage Loose Vagina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.