Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,008 members, 7,810,794 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? (6207 Views)

9 Tips For Keeping The Spark Alive In Your Marriage / Has Marriage Been Made Marriage So Undesirable? / What Has Marriage Taught You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by tiebe: 10:20pm On Nov 07, 2012
I think the topic explains what i need to know. for those who went through the compulsory marriage counseling some churches require before they marry a couple, I just want to know if you feel your marriage is any better because of it, the same or even worse?

Thanks.
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by tiebe: 10:42am On Nov 08, 2012
ok, no one on the family section in nairaland did marriage counseling?
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by Ndoz(m): 12:16pm On Nov 08, 2012
2nd to comment
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by crusufixo(m): 12:19pm On Nov 08, 2012
It has so far worked for me. I would advise anybody to go for the marriage class ( as it is refered to in the catholic church ) before marriage. You would be surprised at the things that you would learn
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by a1solution: 12:20pm On Nov 08, 2012
MARRIAGE COUNSELING IS A BUSINESS. IF KNOW HOW TO BRAINWASH PEOPLE YOU MAKE YOUR CASH FROM IT, IF NOT IT DOESN'T CHANGE OR ADD ANYTHING TO THE FAMILY.

3 Likes

Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 08, 2012
Its of no importance or use. Those who will break up will break-up and those who won't will not. That's life. Its like saying how important is mathematics while you study English.

3 Likes

Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by Joey82(m): 12:21pm On Nov 08, 2012
the whole thing about marriage is complicated,
the more we know the less its working out.
sometimes i wonder, our parents didnt know half of what we know now
didnt date as much as we do now
didnt attend any marriage courses,
yet it all worked out better for them than it is working now.
i think we all need to work on our tolerance, that's the only ingredient that can make marriage work IMO.

5 Likes

Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by crusufixo(m): 12:21pm On Nov 08, 2012
a1solution: MARRIAGE COUNSELING IS A BUSINESS. IF KNOW HOW TO BRAINWASH PEOPLE YOU MAKE YOUR CASH FROM IT, IF NOT IT DOESN'T CHANGE OR ADD ANYTHING TO THE FAMILY.

Sorry to say,but i disagree with you.
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by Topeedo: 12:27pm On Nov 08, 2012
ti-ebe:
I think the topic explains what i need to know. for those who went through the compulsory marriage counseling some churches require before they marry a couple, I just want to know if you feel your marriage is any better because of it, the same or even worse?

Thanks.
I THINK ITS RUBBISH....THE COUNCELLIN IS USUALLY IMPROMTU, THEY TELL YOU THINGS U KNOW ALREADY( EXCEPT U ARE EXTRA STUPID, DEN U WONT KNOW ALREADY)...ITS MORE LIKE A RITUAL AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED, ITS SOMETHING YOU U DO BEFORE THE CHURCH AGREES TO JOINING THE COUPLE, EVERYBODY HAS TO DO IT AS FAR AS CHURCH MARRIAGE IS CONCERNED...IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE

1 Like

Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by SELFWORTH: 12:57pm On Nov 08, 2012
a1solution: MARRIAGE COUNSELING IS A BUSINESS. IF KNOW HOW TO BRAINWASH PEOPLE YOU MAKE YOUR CASH FROM IT, IF NOT IT DOESN'T CHANGE OR ADD ANYTHING TO THE FAMILY.

Rubbish! It may have have not worked for u but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea.
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by slimming: 12:58pm On Nov 08, 2012
It is not about what they tell you, it is about what you need to know.

1 Like

Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by SELFWORTH: 1:00pm On Nov 08, 2012
Topeedo: I THINK ITS RUBBISH....THE COUNCELLIN IS USUALLY IMPROMTU, THEY TELL YOU THINGS U KNOW ALREADY( EXCEPT U ARE EXTRA STUPID, DEN U WONT KNOW ALREADY)...ITS MORE LIKE A RITUAL AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED, ITS SOMETHING YOU U DO BEFORE THE CHURCH AGREES TO JOINING THE COUPLE, EVERYBODY HAS TO DO IT AS FAR AS CHURCH MARRIAGE IS CONCERNED...IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE

This sounds like you had a bad experience . Please which church specifies this as a criteria before you join? Am curious becos a church is like a market place. Will they turn down widows, children,single parents etc
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by SELFWORTH: 1:02pm On Nov 08, 2012
slimming: It is not about what they tell you, it is about what you need to know.

.... and applying it to your individual situation. Every marriage is unique. One size does NOT fit ALL.
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by 2pence(m): 1:07pm On Nov 08, 2012
solidbroda: Its of no importance or use. Those who will break up will break-up and those who won't will not. That's life. Its like saying how important is mathematics while you study English.

My Dear stop misinforming people ,Marriage counselling is very important for intending marriage couples,it helps shape them to have an idea of what marriage is ,to prepare them cos marriage is a vocation,its a calling and its not everyone that's called for it and people must know this and be aware so as not get into mistakes that will bring annulment/divorce,My dear I suggest you take that class before venturing into marriage,"not a must ooo" but iam just suggesting

1 Like

Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by tiebe: 1:27pm On Nov 08, 2012
well, everybody here seems to be seeing things the way I do. not like i've had the counseling before o. but everybody that I know that has gone through it says its basically telling you what you already know. doesnt shed any light on marriage at all. I'm yet to hear anybody who has said their marriage would have fallen apart if not for it. so, i'm leaning towards seeing it as an unnecessary waste of time and power. . .

However, for those of you who say it was worth while, please let us know exactly where and how u feel it improved ur married life. . . thanks. eg.
crusufixo: It has so far worked for me. I would advise anybody to go for the marriage class ( as it is refered to in the catholic church ) before marriage. You would be surprised at the things that you would learn
and
2pence:

My Dear stop misinforming people ,Marriage counselling is very important for intending marriage couples,it helps shape them to have an idea of what marriage is ,to prepare them cos marriage is a vocation,its a calling and its not everyone that's called for it and people must know this and be aware so as not get into mistakes that will bring annulment/divorce,My dear I suggest you take that class before venturing into marriage,"not a must ooo" but iam just suggesting

can you honestly say your married life would have been worse off without it?
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by tomakint: 1:35pm On Nov 08, 2012
If I am privileged to advise intending couples I will ask them to ponder on these three:

• A house is not a home!
• A man is not a husband!
• A woman is not a wife!

Meaning:
• A house is a building; a home is where characters are shaped
• A man is a visitor; a husband is a shepherd
• A woman is a hireling; a wife is a keeper
…..from the above work out your own SALVATION with fear and trembling, because MARRIAGE is not a bed of roses!

2 Likes

Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by tiebe: 1:39pm On Nov 08, 2012
tomakint: If I am privileged to advise intending couples I will ask them to ponder on these three:

• A house is not a home!
• A man is not a husband!
• A woman is not a wife!

Meaning:
• A house is a building; a home is where characters are shaped
• A man is a visitor; a husband is a shepherd
• A woman is a hireling; a wife is a keeper
…..from the above work out your own SALVATION with fear and trembling, because MARRIAGE is not a bed of roses!

and you have touched on another subject that baffles me, if marriage is not a bed of roses? why should we bother getting married na?

ok, we may get to that later. but er. . . is this what you're taught at the counseling class? also, a wife is a hireling? really?
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by Efiko(m): 1:47pm On Nov 08, 2012
...it depends but the truth from experience is that must of those principles/methods u'l learn will be forgotten within the 1st year of the real stuff/journey. People should stop being too scientific with marriage issues & avoid generalisation. Every marriage is peculiar & should be kept simple while noting that MUTUAL UNDERSTANDING is key to a successful marriage. Marriage is a covenant decision to dwell with the friend you like/love for life.

"...by wisdom a house is built but ESTABLISHED through UNDERSTANDING"

Marriage Success Tips:

-FAITH IN GOD
-PATIENCE
-MUTUAL COMMITMENT
-MUTUAL UNDERSTANDING
-MUTUAL TRUST
-MUTUAL RESPECT
-NO HOLDING BACK (..give/love & give some more)
-SPONTANEOUS COMMUNICATION (no reservations)
-QUALITY SEX
-etc

3 Likes

Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 08, 2012
Does it work? I don't think so,most people won't put what they are being taught into use.

Most African marriage are endured,and not enjoyed.

1 Like

Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by tomakint: 1:56pm On Nov 08, 2012
ti-ebe:

and you have touched on another subject that baffles me, if marriage is not a bed of roses? why should we bother getting married na?

ok, we may get to that later. but er. . . is this what you're taught at the counseling class? also, a wife is a hireling? really?

Dude not a 'wife' I wrote 'a woman'! Read my post again!
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by AkinDavid2: 1:57pm On Nov 08, 2012
You can only see far when you are on the shoulder of a giant likewise wisdom is profitable to direct. Marriage counselling is a pre-eye opener and marriage itself widens it. wink
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by tiebe: 2:09pm On Nov 08, 2012
tomakint:

Dude not a 'wife' I wrote 'a woman'! Read my post again!

no vex grin oya, so, how far with the bed of roses one na?
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by Kposkila: 2:12pm On Nov 08, 2012
Joey82: the whole thing about marriage is complicated,
the more we know the less its working out.
sometimes i wonder, our parents didnt know half of what we know now
didnt date as much as we do now
didnt attend any marriage courses,
yet it all worked out better for them than it is working now.
i think we all need to work on our tolerance, that's the only ingredient that can make marriage work IMO.
u just on point, my mum nd dad neva attended such class, didnt date 4 long, yet nev
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by eikeem(m): 2:14pm On Nov 08, 2012
Marriage counselling? I've never experienced it.
I cannot allow a fellow man take kudos for the potentials God planted in me.
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Nov 08, 2012
ti-ebe:

Thanks.

i went for marriage counseling 3 yrs after my marriage and it was really worth it. All those ones before mariage na film trick. U guys have not really known each other before marriage at all even if u have been courting for years.
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 08, 2012
Yes, it did. When we have some issues to iron out we always refer to some of those things we learnt during our counseling before marriage.
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by Alaafialoro(m): 2:47pm On Nov 08, 2012
ti-ebe:

Marriage,just like life,is not a bed of roses. It might actually be stormy atimes but the ability of the couple to live above the problem is what matters.
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Nov 08, 2012
ti-ebe:

Is life itself a bed of roses? Why dont you comit suicide

4 Likes

Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by landinfo: 3:06pm On Nov 08, 2012
Ujujoan:

i jus LUV d ans u gave him...on point

1 Like

Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by tiebe: 3:07pm On Nov 08, 2012
Ujujoan:

Nairaland=info:

i jus LUV d ans u gave him...on point

life is definitely not a bed of roses. . . but my coming into the life is not by choice. but my going into marriage is wholly by choice. I hope you get my point? when one says 'i'm going to get a job in so-and-so company', people who know the company dont immediately say 'ha, working in so-and-so company is not a bed or roses o!'. but with marriage, its the singular most common view of it. with life you hear some pple say life's beautiful at least sometimes. but with marriage, its almost always 'marriage is not a bed of roses'.

If na so marriage be, then why will I open my eyes and go into something that is going to show me how 'it is not a bed of roses'. but we digress. how far the marriage counseling people?
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by tomakint: 3:09pm On Nov 08, 2012
ti-ebe:

No vex too grin That's why you are a man undecided
Re: Has Marriage Counseling Made Any Difference To Your Marriage? by Bawss1(m): 4:03pm On Nov 08, 2012
2pence:

My Dear stop misinforming people ,Marriage counselling is very important for intending marriage couples,it helps shape them to have an idea of what marriage is ,to prepare them cos marriage is a vocation,its a calling and its not everyone that's called for it and people must know this and be aware so as not get into mistakes that will bring annulment/divorce My dear I suggest you take that class before venturing into marriage,"not a must ooo" but iam just suggesting

shocked

There is nothing we will not hear; Marriage is now a calling?

Who does the calling?

Do you know what a calling means, really?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What To Get For My Mum For Mother's Day / Facts About Penis......matured Mind Only Please / Nigerian Mother Reacts After Seeing This Her Daugther's Latest Whatsapp Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.