Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,089 members, 7,821,763 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle - Autos (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle (129467 Views)

Valvoline Dexron VI Fully Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluids- Book Now! / Honda Accord Eod Parts (air Bags And Transmission Fluids (atf). / SOLD Original Honda Dw-1 Atf Automatic Transmission Fluids SOLD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by Adetayomi: 5:05pm On Nov 07, 2013
sooper rescue: Nissan N2 CVT. Two choices, you either buy in a 1 Litre pack or buy the blue gallon pack. Beware of where you buy the blue pack to avoid buying adulterated fluid.

Good day l saw only the blue 4 Litres in the open shop pls can l get the 1lt bottles from you.how much is it? How many litres will be okay for nissan primera sport 2001.thanks
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by sooperrescue(m): 5:21pm On Nov 07, 2013
Burger, He dey drive the car but he nor dey use am.
Mercedes C class will work with Dexron 111 and I advise that you buy Oando Dexron 111 in Ibadan when you need it. Mercedes Benz usually recommend Mobil 1 when it is in Europe or in America but in Nigeria 0w40 does not work perfectly because we dont need the thin oil that can work in winter. Check your engine oil chamber and see if there is sludge in the engine. Flush the engine with the old oil using high quality engine flush to remove the sludge. I remember having a meeting with Coscharis technicians in 2005 and they complained of sludge in most of the 3 and 5 series and they use Mobil 1. Move up to synthetic and try using Total q9000 or Forte synthetic. That will give you peace of mind for your engine. And use a high quality coolant for your radiator and not those coloured water that are readily available. Dexron 3 is available at Oando outlets nationwide and Atfz1 is what we sell as our multi vehicle synthetic transmission fluid. We will soon be in Ibadan by next year first quarter.
Holts atf is not Mercon complaint.
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by fasky(m): 5:27pm On Nov 07, 2013
Please your new lagos office address

1 Like

Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by delaw4u: 5:32pm On Nov 07, 2013
Hello wish engine oil can I use to service my volkswagen passat 2003 1.8T engine and rhe transmission fluids plus the coolant urgent responces
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by sooperrescue(m): 5:33pm On Nov 07, 2013
7200 a litre for the nissan cvt in 1 litre bottle
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by sooperrescue(m): 5:36pm On Nov 07, 2013
Oando synthetic oil, engine flush, pureguard for your transmission and Freezetone for your coolant. If you want the highest coolant, PEAK is five year protection.
Oando Service Station opp Guinness road, by Ashade Market, Mangoro bustop, Agege
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by genkins(m): 7:22pm On Nov 07, 2013
mr scooper..tnx for this thread tho u didnt address my inquiries. .I reside in abuja..just gimme ur workshop address and il be ther dis weekend. .I drive a 2003 honda accord v6 EOD..I use dexron 2 oando..which shud I use? ive used z1 before no improvement. .it came in a white container..is it d right one? how do u know u have sludge in ur engine? I just nid a general tune up car tune up..pls
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by sooperrescue(m): 9:39pm On Nov 07, 2013
I am sorry if the issues were not resolved. Meet me at Oando by National Hospital this saturday. You cannot use Oando Atf on a Honda. It is not proper. Will be expecting you.
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by Peacefullife: 10:35pm On Nov 07, 2013
Bros pls advice me.

I changed my gear oil (2004 ford escape) about three weeks ago and used total at which I think is dextron ii. However the recommended oil is dextron iii. But because I have not come across your thread I did not know I could get dextron iii in naija.

For three weeks the gear has been OK and I have not noticed any issues.

Do you think I should continue with the total atf for six months and then change to pure guard or oando or I should do the changing now.
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by sooperrescue(m): 3:55am On Nov 08, 2013
You cannot use TOTAL ATF Dexron 11 D on a Ford. Not even a 1980 Ford. Mercon V is the oil recommended for your car and Mercon 5 is available in Nigeria. You can buy from FORD Briscoe or you can buy our pure guard. They even sell Motorcraft in the market too but when it comes to buying transmission fluids in the open market, it is a 50-50 chance that you are buying the non adulterated atf. Remember Mobil 1 episode. Mercon 5 is even higher than Dexron 111 which is also available in Nigeria through MRS and Oando. You need to change that oil fast, as soon as possible. Total atf Dex 11D is not suitable for cars with electronic gear boxes.
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by deji47: 9:19am On Nov 08, 2013
Nice informative thread Op
pls kindly inform me on the following
*what type of ATF should I use for Nissan Altima 2002.
*also what is the duration of use before change is required. What is also d recommended grade of engine oil for the above mentioned car.
Thanks in advance.
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by sundyke107: 12:29pm On Nov 08, 2013
From your explanation, I understand that Oando Dextron 111 gear oil is not good for Honda CRV 1998. If I buy your ATFZ1 as suggested, how long will it last? Is it forever? Secondly, apart from your ATFZ1 which other oil can I use for my Honda CRV 1998? Or where else can I buy the ATFZ1?

Await your positive response
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by delaw4u: 12:43pm On Nov 08, 2013
Please reply with quote 03 vw passat
Hello wish engine oil can I use to service my volkswagen passat 2003 1.8T engine and the transmission fluids plus the coolant urgent responces
Please address my issue
Reply to freemayor4u@yahoo.com
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by sooperrescue(m): 3:17pm On Nov 08, 2013
ATFZ1 is sold in the market. If you go to Honda place, they will only sell to you if you bring your car to their garage.Many high end atf marketers will not like their brand to stray into unscrupulous fakers who will destroy that brand. That said, ATFZ1 varies, the popular one in the market is from Dubai, at least the can is from Dubai but the content is not known and no one is sure of what is there. That is why every one is protecting their brand. From my experience, transmission fluid are supposed to be changed every year, 15000miles or 25000kms whichever comes first and depending on the market. You will change the oil every year or you will help to propagate the erroneous belief that Honda gear boxes are problematic which in reality, are part of the seven wonders in the world. For oil change, you can change to Oando if you are not already using it. Oando SL will work fine. Dexron 111 is to top up and not for complete gear flush.
Nissan Altima has some that works with CVt and some that works with Dexron 111. If yours is Dexron 111, use OANDO Dexron 111. You should change your atf every year and use Oando SL or Sm for the engine oil change
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by sundyke107: 3:43pm On Nov 08, 2013
Thanx Bro!! I am lost a bit...do u mean i should go for Oando SL GEAR OIL for my Honda Crv 1998 or Dextron 111?
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by sooperrescue(m): 4:52pm On Nov 08, 2013
Nor vex. Use atfz1 or pureguard.
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by tnktosin(m): 12:06am On Nov 09, 2013
Great job @sooper rescue. I drive an 06 Honda pilot, barely a month ago my mechanic changed my transmission oil to oando cos I've driven over 8k with the old one. Am Not sure which of the oandos or the source of the oil but since then shifting from gear 1 to 2 has not been smooth. I recently got a number here on nairaland where I can get genuine Honda transmission oil but that would be till I return to town. Now my question is, which oil would you recommend if am to forfeit the genuine Honda trans oil and would you recommend I forfeit?
For my engine lube, I use total 4x4. Do you think that's cool?
Lastly, how do I check for sludge and also which engine flush is recommended cos I see you're against abro flush.
Thanks.
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by sooperrescue(m): 2:43am On Nov 09, 2013
Use the genuine recommended ATFZ1 that you want to buy. Honda place also sell ATFZ1 but you have to take your car there for some job before you get the oil. It was wrong to use OANDO on your Honda Pilot as the oil is not compatible with your car. Oando ATF both Dexron 11 and 111 has its good purpose but on some cars it is forbidden. Dexron 111 was in vogue on many cars till 2005 when they shifted to Dexron 6. Not all Dexron 6 are compatible with many vehicles. It is only those that are global standard that will work in almost all cars except CVTs. I know many people who used ATFZ1 bought in the open market and their car got worse. Be sure of the source of the ATF. Q4x4 from TOTAL is very good for Jeeps. I used that before on my car before I decided to use Oando syn. Even a client that came from Nairaland to my workshop saw the change. His RPM was hovering between 750 to 800 and immediately after using the syn, he called to complain that his car's rpm is now hovering between 500 to 650 and that his transmission has improved tremendously. Another brought his Honda EOD and before the oil change, it takes his car up to 5000 rpm before his car changes gear but immediately after the oil change to Oando syn, the rpm gear change was now between 2000 and 3000. For sludge, just dip your hand into the oil chamber and if what comes out is black sandlike dirt, then you have to flush it. We can send you the engine flush if you cant find any good one in the market
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by sooperrescue(m): 2:59am On Nov 09, 2013
Burnt automatic transmissions on the rise. What to watch out for.
Automatic transmissions in modern vehicles are a wonder to feel. There have been improvements through the years with car manufacturers investing in new technologies to make today’s vehicles to become one of the eight wonders of the world. In our part of the world, the auto gear has taken over the reins from the stick gear and as a result of the ease and comfort that it gives when driving; motorists are now embracing this wonderful technology without paying attention to the need for proper maintenance. There are still many motorists using cheap transmission fluids in the market and paying heavily for the consequences of their actions. Using the right transmission fluid at the appropriate time when changing the fluid will give your vehicle a renewed performance
How often should the automatic transmission fluid be changed?

Most owner's manuals say it isn't necessary. Yeah, right. That's why transmission shops are making a fortune replacing burnt out automatic transmissions.
For optimum protection, change the fluid and filter every 15 -20,000 miles (unless you have a new vehicle that is filled with Dexron III or VI ATF which is supposed to be good for a long time
Why Atf Wears Out
An automatic transmission creates a lot of internal heat through friction: the friction of the fluid churning inside the torque converter, friction created when the clutch plates engage, and the normal friction created by gears and bearings carrying their loads.
It doesn't take long for the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) to heat up once the vehicle is in motion. Normal driving will raise fluid temperatures to 80 degrees C, which is the usual temperature range at which most fluids are designed to operate. If fluid temperatures can be held to 80 degrees C, ATF will last almost indefinitely -- say up to 180,000 kilometers. But if the fluid temperature goes much higher, the life of the fluid begins to plummet. The problem is even normal driving can push fluid temperatures well beyond safe limits. And once that happens, the trouble begins.
At elevated operating temperatures, ATF oxidizes, turns brown and takes on a smell like burnt toast. As heat destroys the fluid's lubricating qualities and friction characteristics, varnish begins to form on internal parts (such as the valve body) which interferes with the operation of the transmission. If the temperature gets above 120 degrees C., rubber seals begin to harden, which leads to leaks and pressure losses. At higher temperatures the transmission begins to slip, which only aggravates overheating even more. Eventually the clutches burn out and the transmission calls it quits. The only way to repair the damage now is with an overhaul -- a job which can easily run upwards of N200,000 on a late model front-wheel drive car or minivan.
As a rule of thumb, every 10 degree increase in operating temperature above 80 degrees C. cuts the life of the fluid in half!
At 90 degrees C., for instance, fluid life is reduced to 90,000 kilometers. At 104 degrees C, which is commonly encountered in many transmissions, the fluid is only good for about 50,000 kilometers. At 115 degrees C., the fluid won't go much over 25,000 kilometers. Add another 20 degrees, and life expectancy drops to 10,000 kilometers. Go to 146 or 148 degrees C, and 2,000 to 3,000 kilometers is about all you'll get before the transmission burns up.
If you think this is propaganda put forth by the suppliers of ATF to sell more fluid, think again. According to the Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association in the US, 90% of ALL transmission failures are caused by overheating. And most of these can be blamed on worn out fluid that should have been replaced.
On most vehicles, the automatic transmission fluid is cooled by a small heat exchanger inside the bottom or end tank of the radiator. Hot ATF from the transmission circulates through a short loop of pipe and is thus "cooled." Cooling is a relative term here, however, because the radiator itself may be running at anywhere from 82 to 104 degrees C.!
Tests have shown that the typical original equipment oil cooler is marginal at best. ATF that enters the radiator cooler at 148 degrees C. leaves at 115 to 132 degrees C., which is only a 10 to 20% drop in temperature, and is nowhere good enough for extended fluid life.
A number of things can push ATF temperatures beyond the system's ability to maintain safe limits: towing a trailer, mountain driving, driving at sustained high speeds during hot weather, stop-and-go driving in city traffic, "rocking" an automatic transmission from drive to reverse to free a tire from mud, etc. Problems in the cooling system itself such as a low coolant level, a defective cooling fan, fan clutch, thermostat or water pump, an obstructed radiator, etc., will also diminish ATF cooling efficiency. In some cases, transmission overheating can even lead to engine coolant overheating! That's why there's a good demand for auxiliary add-on transmission coolers.
Atf Fluid Types
What kind of automatic transmission fluid should you use in your transmission? The type specified in your owner's manual or engraved on the transmission dipstick.
For older Ford automatics and certain imports, Type "F" is usually required. Most Fords since the 1980s require "Mercon" fluid, which is Ford's equivalent of Dexron II1.
For General Motors, Chrysler and other foreign manufacturers, Dexron III is usually specified.
NOTE: Some newer vehicles with electronically-controlled transmissions require Dexron IIe or Dexron III fluid. GM says its new long-life Dexron III fluid can be substituted for Dexron II in older vehicle applications.
CAUTION: Using the wrong type of fluid can affect the way the transmission shifts and feels. Using Type F fluid in an application that calls for Dexron II may make the transmission shift too harshly. Using Dexron II in a transmission that requires Type F may allow the transmission to slip under heavy load, which can accelerate clutch wear. Do not use Dextron 111 on a Mercon V vehicle or else you will damage the gear. Also Using normal Dexron111 on CVTs like Nissan Murano, Honda Civic and City will quickly damage the gear. There is also World Standard ATF from Toyota which cannot be interchanged with Dexron 111. Honda ATF Z1 works with Dexron 111 only as a temporary measure as top up. Toyota‘s T1-IV is compatible with Dexron VI , a synthetic blend of ATF which is fast becoming the vogue for all type of Automatic transmissions If your vehicle model is from 1985, avoid using all those cheap ATF in white and blue containers with TYPE A written on it.
Changing the Fluid
It's a messy job because there's no drain plug to change the fluid, but you can do it yourself if you're so inclined. To change the fluid, you have to get under your vehicle and remove the pan from the bottom of the transmission.
When you loosen the pan, fluid will start to dribble out in all directions so you need a fairly large catch pan. You should also know that removing the pan doesn't drain all of the old fluid out of the transmission. Approximately a third of the old fluid will still be in the torque converter. There's no drain plug on the converter so you're really only doing a partial fluid change. Even so, a partial fluid change is better than no fluid change at all.
A typical fluid change will require anywhere from 3 to 6 litres of ATF depending on the application, a new filter and a pan gasket (or RTV sealer) for the transmission pan. The pan must be thoroughly cleaned prior to reinstallation. This includes wiping all fluid residue from the inside of the pan and scraping all traces of the old gasket from the pan's sealing surface. Don't forget to clean the mounting flange on the transmission, too.
When the new filter is installed, be sure it is mounted in the exact same position as the original and that any O-rings or other gaskets have been properly positioned prior to tightening the bolts. Then tighten the bolts to the manufacturer's recommended specs.
When refilling the transmission with fresh fluid, be careful not to allow any dirt or debris to enter the dipstick tube. Using a long-neck funnel with a built-in screen is recommended.
CAUTION: Do not overfill the transmission. Too much fluid can cause the fluid to foam, which in turn can lead to erratic shifting, oil starvation and transmission damage. Too much fluid may also force ATF to leak past the transmission seals.
Add half a quart at a time until the dipstick shows full. The transmission really isn't full yet because the dipstick should be checked when the fluid is hot, and the engine is idling with the gear selector in Park. So start the engine, drive the vehicle around the block, then recheck the fluid level while the engine is idling and add fluid as needed until the dipstick reads full.
AUTOWATCH MAGAZINE

1 Like

Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by tnktosin(m): 6:55am On Nov 09, 2013
sooper rescue: Use the genuine recommended ATFZ1 that you want to buy. Honda place also sell ATFZ1 but you have to take your car there for some job before you get the oil. It was wrong to use OANDO on your Honda Pilot as the oil is not compatible with your car. Oando ATF both Dexron 11 and 111 has its good purpose but on some cars it is forbidden. Dexron 111 was in vogue on many cars till 2005 when they shifted to Dexron 6. Not all Dexron 6 are compatible with many vehicles. It is only those that are global standard that will work in almost all cars except CVTs. I know many people who used ATFZ1 bought in the open market and their car got worse. Be sure of the source of the ATF. Q4x4 from TOTAL is very good for Jeeps. I used that before on my car before I decided to use Oando syn. Even a client that came from Nairaland to my workshop saw the change. His RPM was hovering between 750 to 800 and immediately after using the syn, he called to complain that his car's rpm is now hovering between 500 to 650 and that his transmission has improved tremendously. Another brought his Honda EOD and before the oil change, it takes his car up to 5000 rpm before his car changes gear but immediately after the oil change to Oando syn, the rpm gear change was now between 2000 and 3000. For sludge, just dip your hand into the oil chamber and if what comes out is black sandlike dirt, then you have to flush it. We can send you the engine flush if you cant find any good one in the market
Thanks for your timely reply man. I'd get rid of the current oil asap wen I get back to town. Unfortunately there's no Honda place in Benin so I might have to get it from the supplier I found here on nairaland or Amazon.com via circuitatlantic cos honestly am scared of getting stuffs from Nigerian markets dez days. Once again thanks a bunch.
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by sundyke107: 2:24pm On Nov 11, 2013
ATFz1 gear oil for my honda crv 1998 is sold 5,000 per litre at Honda place Apapa. Please which other gear oil do u advise or where else can one get good and affordable ATFZ1 for the above car?

1 Like

Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by sooperrescue(m): 4:49pm On Nov 11, 2013
Our Pure Guard cost less than that and it is superior to ATFZ1. We can send it to you anywhere in Lagos or you can call me
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by bodiaye: 5:59pm On Nov 11, 2013
Please I have these error codes on my Kia Cerato.
P0700
P0755

What can I do?
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by sooperrescue(m): 6:40pm On Nov 11, 2013
Transmission issues. Have you changed your ATF since you bought the car? The solenoid valve no 2 is what needs to be checked.Let me have your location
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by seunmide: 9:51am On Nov 12, 2013
Morning sir, im using 2005 toyota avalon. I serviced the car on sunday using total Q9000 but this morning the car has maintainance required showing on the dash board.what could have cause this and what can i do?
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by seunmide: 4:06pm On Nov 12, 2013
Pls advise
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by balogunsam(m): 4:44pm On Nov 12, 2013
Hello MR Sooper...i was the one who called you a few times on saturday about the Ford windstar. I took it for a test drive after the Mercon V was replaced and it went smooth all the way. Drove on the express for almost 20/30km at 120km/hr and the O.D light did not flash but when i decelerated and turned to return back to abeokuta, it started flashing when i was climbing a hill and it had to maintain a gear. It flashed all the way till i got home, parked it cool down and then restart it. I will test it again on thursday and then call you to setup an appointment. Thank you so much for such a wonderful service.

If the vehicle's issue does not get sorted out there, i will just park it at your place and put for sale on it ooo grin grin grin

thank you again
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by sooperrescue(m): 10:58pm On Nov 12, 2013
Like I told you on the Avalon. it is nothing but I will be in Lagos on thursday and then I will help you reset the maintenance required light in a jiffy.
The Windstar is ok, just look for a place to scan it and call me to give me the code. Dont worry about sellingthe car, it will be alright
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by evansclick: 11:48pm On Nov 12, 2013
I ve a ford escape 2003. It drives very well in reverse gear but does nt drive in D (drive gear) ve just service d gear. I used a detron 111. And d car still does nt drive in D gear
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by sooperrescue(m): 7:27am On Nov 13, 2013
You cant use Dexron 111 on a Ford Escape. It is Mercon V and nothing else. The gear must come down for them to change the fibers inside. or get a new gear box.
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by johnwell(m): 8:46am On Nov 13, 2013
Engr... goodmorning.
I baught the Total Q9000 & service my Mitsubishi Diamante (2004) yesterday, the engine now perfom better, the rpm is very low even @ 140km/h, the engine is very quiet. God bless you.

there is a container i saw in the bonet, beside the radiator, with the name coolant.,,, the liquid inside is very low, the dipstick in it cant even reach the content. What kind of coolant should i put there?
Re: Transmission Fluids, Getting The Right One For Your Vehicle by evansclick: 10:23am On Nov 13, 2013
Tanks so much for ur prompt response. Like how and hw much will it cost me to change d fibres of ford escape and where do I change it or hw much is a new transmission. If I change d fibre will d car drive very well. Cos I ve really spent too much moni on dat car.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply)

Cheap Cotonou Car/suv Delivered To Nigeria By Hassan See Pictures / Dealer Plate Numbers Are Available / Come In For Your Comprehensive Vehicle History Report*+234-806-036-5068 With Pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.