Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator (45764 Views)

Scientist Invent Death Test That Tell Us How Long We Will Live / Urine-powered Generator Invented By Nigerians Girls / Harvard Students Invent Electricity Generating Football (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by lollydyss: 8:47am On Nov 08, 2012
Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-Powered Generator
[img]http://4.bp..com/-DF6aCEc1k08/UJtPCCRqRCI/AAAAAAAAXEI/NroVJEByFFI/s1600/Urine_powered_generator.jpg[/img]
Possibly one of the more unexpected products at Maker Faire Africa this year in Lagos is a urine powered generator, created by four girls. The girls are Duro-Aina Adebola (14), Akindele Abiola (14), Faleke Oluwatoyin (14) and Bello Eniola (15).

The generator is on display at an exhibition in Lagos Nigeria where people from the tiniest villages to those from big cities are talking about making stuff. This is part of an initiative by ‘Maker Faire Movement’ which seeks to showcase how traditional handicrafts can be a solution in the wake of expensive robot.

Their invention ensures that 1 Liter of urine gives you 6 hours of electricity.

The system works like this:

1. Urine is put into an electrolytic cell, which separates out the hydrogen.

2. The hydrogen goes into a water filter for purification, which then gets pushed into the gas cylinder.

3. The gas cylinder pushes hydrogen into a cylinder of liquid borax, which is used to remove the moisture from the hydrogen gas.

4. This purified hydrogen gas is pushed into the generator.

via BBChttp://www.naijapicks.com/2012/11/nigerian-girls-invent-Generator.html?m=1

40 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by mymadam(m): 9:21am On Nov 08, 2012
How much will you girls grab my 18 litres of pee for? wink On a serious note... this is some good news out of Nigeria, for once. Moderator, front page please. God bless Nigeria.

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Kslib(m): 11:05am On Nov 08, 2012
Ah good news...
No wonder,today i went to first bank to withdraw cash from the ATM machine and saw this big black container which had this writing with red paint on the body "PLEASE URINATE HERE".. I was like WTF.. Now i know why...

16 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Foxybone(m): 12:07pm On Nov 08, 2012
afam4eva: .

Sorry bro, I did that before you.... grin grin grin grin

This guys should bring their generator to my office building to collect urine, infact, urine is now for sale.... Men, new business in town...

On a serious note, thumbs up to the girls for bring in a smelly invention, imagine you storing jerry cans of urine in your toilet because it is cheaper grin grin grin

But on a lighter note... I came 3rd after a hard struggle with Afam4eva grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Afam4eva(m): 12:07pm On Nov 08, 2012
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by topsyking: 12:07pm On Nov 08, 2012
RUBBISH invention....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Nobody: 12:08pm On Nov 08, 2012
Kslib: Ah good news...
No wonder,today i went to first bank to withdraw cash from the ATM machine and saw this big black container which had this writing with red paint on the body "PLEASE URINATE HERE".. I was like WTF.. Now i know why...

For real, now people will start selling their urine. This is some good stuff lol
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by mattsteve(f): 12:08pm On Nov 08, 2012
This is great.atleast smthing gud is coming out of our country
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Ndoz(m): 12:09pm On Nov 08, 2012
INTERESTING news
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Nobody: 12:09pm On Nov 08, 2012
A very laudable invention...but the bad thing is that very soon,urine will be sold at 'Urine Stations' at N120 per litre.i hope it doesn't happen though

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by belhomme(m): 12:10pm On Nov 08, 2012
lobatan! oju ti jonah, ONI ati fuel subsidy lobatan!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Ariyke: 12:10pm On Nov 08, 2012
Wonderful Urine
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by twinskenny(m): 12:11pm On Nov 08, 2012
[quote author=Kslib]Ah good news...
No wonder,today i went to first bank to withdraw cash from the ATM machine and saw this big black container which had this writing with red paint on the body "PLEASE URINATE HERE".. I was like WTF.. Now i know why...[/quote grin grin grin grin grin]

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Cleanman(m): 12:12pm On Nov 08, 2012
you ought to bill that bank...imagine them taking your precious pee for free!
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by belhomme(m): 12:12pm On Nov 08, 2012
topsyking: RUBBISH invention....
see d face of an average brain... poor u

33 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Nobody: 12:13pm On Nov 08, 2012
Great initiative!...and from 14yr old students too. grin
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by gseintegrity(m): 12:13pm On Nov 08, 2012
1. Where is the fourth girl?
2. How long can the system last? I mean the whole of the stuff. Remember a white man will tell you 'This will last for 100 years' sort of.
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by a1solution: 12:13pm On Nov 08, 2012
ITS A GOOD INVENTION BUT IT CAME LATE AS NIGERIANS WOULD BEGIN TO ENJOY UNINTERRUPTED POWER SUPPLY AS FROM THE FIRST QUARTER OF YEAR 2013. THEY SHOULD HURRY UP TO SELL THE FEW THEY CAN SELL WITHIN THE REMAINING TWO MONTHS TO 24/7 ELECTRICITY IN NIGERIA

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by tuns10: 12:13pm On Nov 08, 2012
cheesy@belhomme u got me really laughing
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by adeabi: 12:13pm On Nov 08, 2012
Wow!,in Nigeria.Yes,we are advancing

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Ninilowo(m): 12:14pm On Nov 08, 2012
OGINNI?
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by bright007(f): 12:14pm On Nov 08, 2012
there is something fishy about this story...the four inventors are in the range of 14-15 years of age and are from Nigeria....a country where even our Professors cant produce tooth-pick...which school did this gurls attend?...so many kwessions to ask about this crap of a story?

25 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Skywalker5(m): 12:14pm On Nov 08, 2012
hmmm. 14, 15 years old developed this? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Obinoscopy(m): 12:16pm On Nov 08, 2012
Very interesting. Now all 'DON'T URINATE HERE' warnings on walls will now read 'URINATE HERE ON THE CONTAINER' grin

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by belhomme(m): 12:17pm On Nov 08, 2012
people time 4 urine business bt dnt make d mistake of selling urs to Baba AGBORIOLOGBOSOOGUN cos u go lean lik say electricity pass tru ya body o.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Kx: 12:17pm On Nov 08, 2012
What I found interesting about the invention is the fact that the inventors are all 14/15yr olds and again, they are all yoruba girls going by their names. FYI, i nor be yoruba.

Its a clear pointer of where our leaders should channel efforts and policies.

Even during the era of Intro Tech in JSS, such inventions were not heard of.
Govt pls encourage the youths, Nigeria is full of Steve Jobs, Einstein and co, but the environment is suffocating these creative inventors.

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Revolva(m): 12:18pm On Nov 08, 2012
So I go come comot my dick piss for dat funnel - hey na wa ooo
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Cleanman(m): 12:18pm On Nov 08, 2012
a1solution: ITS A GOOD INVENTION BUT IT CAME LATE AS NIGERIANS WOULD BEGIN TO ENJOY UNINTERRUPTED POWER SUPPLY AS FROM THE FIRST QUARTER OF YEAR 2013. THEY SHOULD HURRY UP TO SELL THE FEW THEY CAN SELL WITHIN THE REMAINING TWO MONTHS TO 24/7 ELECTRICITY IN NIGERIA
who the hell are you?...**southafrican accent***

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Nobody: 12:20pm On Nov 08, 2012
girls ke? I beg who will team up with me to invent s.perm -powered generator?I beg shap shap.
but if you have light, na different foul smell you will experienced.
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Asemo11(m): 12:20pm On Nov 08, 2012
topsyking: RUBBISH invention....
wetin u and ur family dun invent?

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by Cleanman(m): 12:22pm On Nov 08, 2012
Asemo11: wetin u and ur family dun invent?
Asemo11: wetin u and ur family dun invent?
Abeg help me ask the nicompoop
Re: Nigerian Girls Invent Urine-powered Generator by menix(m): 12:24pm On Nov 08, 2012
Tot I was. D only 1 dat noticed dis. As I tuck in my rod back d machine container holla "Thank you for banking.wiv us"

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

People Share Their Experiences Starting This Generator (Photo) / What's This Light Travelling In The Sky? (photo) / Residents Gather As Elephants Are Spotted In Kebbi. See What Happened. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.