Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,288 members, 7,836,273 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

The Nigerian Culture And Self Esteem - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Nigerian Culture And Self Esteem (3286 Views)

Photo: Would You Allow Culture And Tradition Give Your Child Tribal Mark ? / Ten Steps To Better Self-esteem / Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: The Nigerian Culture And Self Esteem by Islander(f): 8:15pm On Feb 11, 2008
Chacal:

@ Islander,

We shall reverse the roles.
Lemme do the beating . . . .You can do the talking/explanations.
I am licking ma lips already. tongue tongue

I will call the Po Po if you dare lay a hand on them tongue tongue angry cheesy
Re: The Nigerian Culture And Self Esteem by debosky(m): 9:02pm On Feb 11, 2008
michelin89:

@ Chacal & Debosky

I don't like this anti-Michelin committee.

@ Topic

All the same, violence is not the solution. They should rather work on psychology or on the body. If a child wants to go bad, s/he go bad with or without the cain so beating doesn't guarantee anything.

I never think of morality when Nigeria is mentioned.

1. there really isn't any committee. . .your singular experience/that of others who had it bad does not negate mine - have an open mind

2. I agree fully - caning/other forms of discipline are no guarantees, just like driving safely is no guarantee that someone else will not hit you. But it is every parent's duty to train his/her child in the way he/she knows best with the child's best interest at heart.

3. I obeyed my parents, because they taught me right. . .but before that a little fear played a role till I was mature enough to understand the reason. The reason for telling a kid not to play with fire may not be clear to him/her, but the fear of punishment keeps him/her away from it till such a time when understanding comes.

There are some issues with the upbringing methods Nigerians use, but it is definitely moral for a large part, and my experience with those of many people I know backs that up. We are a product of our upbringing/surroundings for a large part so that cannot be easily discountenanced.

I do know kids who have gone the wrong way because of beatings, but many more in my view go wrong because of parents' desire to 'protect' the children unduly - especially in these 'enlightened' times. A balance needs to be struck in the application of these principles.
Re: The Nigerian Culture And Self Esteem by Nobody: 10:54am On Feb 13, 2008
The anti-Michelin committee was a funny italian joke. tongue

It seems you guys have missed an important point of my post:

michelin89:

Some parents just beat and beat but never tell the kids why they are being beaten assuming children are omniscient. On one hand they want children to be not so smart, on the other they want them to understand things even adults haven't understood.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Handle Extra-marital Friendship In Marriage. / Fight With Brother's Wife. / My Garri Is Finished. Please Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.