Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,767 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook (5268 Views)

Would You Advice Your Daughter/son To Marry Someone Like You? / Lessons To Teach Your Daughter That She Will Never Forget... By Alison Bryant / When Will You Allow Your Daughter To Use Make-up? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by obowunmi(m): 7:19pm On Nov 11, 2012
This is why teaching your kids communication skills is so important. I blame both the parents and the child. Communication is a two-way streak, parents are not communicating, and this child does not know how to properly communicate her needs to her parents or how to express and handle maturely hurt, rejection, and anger. It needs to be channeled into more productive things and not on facebook.
Facebook however has become an outlet for most people who want to be heard. It is often used improperly.
Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by Nobody: 7:39pm On Nov 11, 2012
Kobojunkie:

This is where parents such as yourself make a mistake. Your child has given up on you and has gone public with her emotions instead. Instead of stepping back to understand what has made her go to that extent and seek ways to make amends, you dey hear they form . . . . unfortunately, you and millions of parents all over Africa are in the same boat.

This is more or less a cry for help from a child that has given up on her parents here, rather than seek to understand the situation, you think proclaiming self-respect and the likes makes all issues fine? How exactly has all that self-respect etc worked out so far for the Nigerian family and Nigeria as a whole, talk less of Africa? Talk about being dense from the core.
priti cool talk yo buh chill. dont bounce on her lol
Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by EfemenaXY: 9:08pm On Nov 11, 2012
Kobojunkie:

This is where parents such as yourself make a mistake. Your child has given up on you and has gone public with her emotions instead. Instead of stepping back to understand what has made her go to that extent and seek ways to make amends, you dey hear they form . . . . unfortunately, you and millions of parents all over Africa are in the same boat.

Is that so?

Did you read the latter half of my post? Or better still, did you UNDERSTAND the latter half of my post?

Efemena_xy:

... I would seriously question my parenting skills, because such comments indicate something went really wrong, somewhere along the line.

Now tell me Kobojunkie, what does that say to you? Is that statement not self-explanatory enough to you? Do I have to break it down into easily digestable A, B, C format for you?? Ever heard of the word "self-assessment"??

Kobojunkie: This is more or less a cry for help from a child that has given up on her parents here, rather than seek to understand the situation, you think proclaiming self-respect and the likes makes all issues fine? How exactly has all that self-respect etc worked out so far for the Nigerian family and Nigeria as a whole, talk less of Africa?

Oh yeah?

And pray do tell me, O wise and knowledgeable one what your proffered solution would be? Was self-respect the only word in my post that caught your eye? Rather than being out rightly rude, all you had to do was ask me what I meant! It's not that hard, neither is there any shame in asking for clarification.

Again, I'll explain what I meant, it's no skin off my nose - and you can thank me later for that.

I've always been a firm advocate for having clear, open communication channels between individuals, and it's no different for kids, no matter their age(s). Now, as a parent, it's my responsibility to ensure that my daughter would / should feel free to discuss with me, anything that's on her mind / bothers her, and for me to answer any questions she might have. It's a two way thing as far as I'm concerned, without her nursing fears of being shouted down at.

Additionally, a child whose been brought up with a good sense of self-worth and self-esteem would understand the need to find their own feet in the world, i.e: gained his / her own independence. Holding down a job for themselves is just one of many ways, without having to depend solely on the parents for everything - especially at the age of 18. Obviously, this is where training, educating and equipping the child with the right skills comes in to play.

Now with those principles, I would be rightly surprised if my kid should spew such trash, let alone on a public forum. This means (like I mentioned earlier), that something must have gone really wrong somewhere along the line and I would have to question what went wrong (self-assessment). Things should never get to that stage (my opinion), as I would have done all the necessary ground / preparatory work right from the beginning. This means rolling up my sleeves and getting tucked in my kid's development right from the word go. This Kobojunkie, is akin to preventing a problem from happening in the first place (re: my very first sentence), rather than running around like a headless chicken, trying to treat the symptoms, instead of the root cause of the problem.

Now do you understand where I'm coming from??

Kobojunkie: Talk about being dense from the core.

The only dense person I see on this thread is you. No, come to think of it, you do sound quite thick. But then again, that's to be expected from a character such as you. Now be my guest, do yourself a favour and get lost.
Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by EfemenaXY: 9:09pm On Nov 11, 2012
OliverPin: priti cool talk yo buh chill. dont bounce on her lol

I can stand up for myself and fight my own battles, thank you very much!
Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by Nobody: 9:16pm On Nov 11, 2012
I blame her parents self - 18 still asking for money - some of us have been working since 15.

na wah o - i used to wash my dads car for cash self at 14 - the youth of today!!!
Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by freecocoa(f): 10:08pm On Nov 11, 2012
And she's even Nigerian, smh.
For her to say this on a public forum, I don't even want to imagine what she says to them to their face, like seriously?
The parents share in the blame cos I just don't
get how a girl of over 18 can be so useless and senseless, obviously they didn't do something right.
No be the stup1d girl fault, if only she's ever been chased out of school for non payment of fees, she would know what to say when her parents tell her there's no money, apparently they give her whatever she wants whether necessary or not, that's why she went haywire when the tory change.

1 Like

Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by Bryan12(m): 10:21pm On Nov 11, 2012
abbeycial: wat goes round comes around.
it sums up the whole story
Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by Nobody: 9:07am On Nov 12, 2012
Kobojunkie:

This is where parents such as yourself make a mistake. Your child has given up on you and has gone public with her emotions. Instead of stepping back, re-accessing your parenting skills, to understand what may have driven this kid to go this far, and maybe seek ways to make amends, you dey here they form . . . . unfortunately, you and millions of parents all over Africa are in the same boat.

This is more or less a cry for help from a child that has given up on her parents here, rather than seek to understand the situation, you think proclaiming self-respect and the likes makes all issues fine? How exactly has all that self-respect etc worked out so far for the Nigerian family and Nigeria as a whole, talk less of Africa? Talk about being dense from the core.
pls tell this ignorant breed of Nigerians we have these days...
Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by Revolva(m): 12:04pm On Nov 12, 2012
Don't be suprised to see her in d future hussling .. U no. Wat I mean and she is in yankee na dere she go spoil finish she may even strip for a livin lol
Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by maclatunji: 12:13pm On Nov 12, 2012
This is what young people nowadays are becoming- "everybody wants to be a star" even if it means they have to insult their parents to grab public attention. I know a young girl like that has lost all decorum on Facebook, she is barely 18. It saddens me when I see her post vulgar comments but she hasn't had the best parenting. I can only watch with dismay.
Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by Nobody: 1:16pm On Nov 12, 2012
baddiguy:
pls tell this ignorant breed of Nigerians we have these days...

Shut the f up . . . .

1 Like

Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 12, 2012
Revolva: Don't be suprised to see her in d future hussling .. U no. Wat I mean and she is in yankee na dere she go spoil finish she may even strip for a livin lol

Shut up you pervert . . . take that picture off and find something useful to do with your life!

1 Like

Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by Nobody: 9:16pm On Nov 12, 2012
Efemena_xy:

I can stand up for myself and fight my own battles, thank you very much!
you see thats what am talkin abt. you think you can do shitz ur own way? pls learn #okBye

1 Like

Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by Nobody: 9:18pm On Nov 12, 2012
Ujujoan:

Shut up you pervert . . . take that picture off and find something useful to do with your life!
"unlikes"
Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by tonym1(m): 1:49pm On Nov 13, 2012
TAKE HER BACK TO NAIJA WHERE SHE WILL PROPER MANNERS AND RESPECT

1 Like

Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by chocolateberry(f): 1:19pm On Feb 27, 2013
[quote author=Efemena_xy]

A child's crass opinion about the parents on a public forum, something which is all too common with kids brought up "liberally" in the west.
I tink u igbos re d worst! Certainly,no courtesy!
Re: What Would You Do If Your Daughter Post This On Facebook by blazingtrain: 3:50pm On Feb 28, 2013
terrible!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The Ideal Duration Of Ormugor (baby Tendering) / Are Men Hoarders (of Their Exs) In Nature?? / If U Are 30 And Still In Ur Parents House,read This.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.