Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,762 members, 7,817,105 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:50 AM

Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal (16628 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / 2015 Budget: Reps Query Illegal N222b On Subsidy / Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by manny4life(m): 9:57pm On Nov 15, 2012
I'm all of open market competition, if removal of subsidy will make that happen, I'm all for it.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 9:59pm On Nov 15, 2012
doctokwus:
An average of N500b/year is spent on subsidy by d govt;wen dat mony is no longer given out,has N500b not accrued to d govt dat shd den be spent on growth of d economy if we had a govt dat has any clue.So dat is not accruement to u;billy!
Lets remove the subsidy first naw, we dont have to to put the cart before the horse braw

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 10:00pm On Nov 15, 2012
Selective deregulation you mean. Jonathan is mad! It should be called total subsidy removal and not deregulation.

After deregulating, nnpc will still oversee who is able to import or not and make sure the price remains high to justify stealing of years past.

I am really getting fed up, can't I listen to news from abuja and smile?
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by taharqa: 10:02pm On Nov 15, 2012
take dat: No one is against full deregulation but where are the palliatives to ease the initial discomfort of deregulation. Is Canada the same as Nigeria? Is the standard of living in Canada same as Nigeria?Why is it that diesel has been deregulated for sometime now and no importer of diesel is yet to build a refinery and its price is still high? May God save Nigeria from clueless and inhumane leaders.

Great observation except @emboldened (dont think any one would set up a Refinery cs of Diesel, PMS is the economic cash-cow for Refiner).

But like a said though: great observation. Its about time those groups against the Deregulation policy sat down with Govt and set some conditions necessary for the full Deregulation of the sector and Timelines for this (esp as most of them do not oppose the eventual Deregulation per se). Some of the conditions can include:

- the removal of Demorrages and Transit-time in the ports (since last year this has reduced to a week, but the group can ask that it be further reduced to say 3 days).

- resuscitation of Rail services across the nation (both Lagos-Kano, PH-Maidguri and their various Branches).

- Conviction of Subsidy 'thieves' (at least some of them).

- Provision of at least 15hrs electricity in most parts of Nigeria, conclusion of Privatization programme and maybe even a commitment to a particular MW of electricity.

- Further reduction in the cost of governance across the board, including especially the implementation of the Oronsaye's Report.

- Any other condition that may serve as 'palliatives' for the temporary pains that Nigerians would have to bear immediately the policy sets in.

...Again, I wish to emphasize that most of the groups/persons that lead the protest and opposition to the Subsidy removal already agree that we would need to eventually Deregulate. Maybe it is now time to Engage the govt, give our conditions, set timelines and then if substantially met by the govt, Deregulation can commence by middle or the end of next year.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by ldpele(m): 10:05pm On Nov 15, 2012
pro01:

Who sends a child to the surgeon to treat a "boil" on the face? Surely, that's an overkill - even for a president's daughter, no?

Really? From a "child" to a "lady" in just a few days or "week"?

Mr. President. I be your supporter oh, but forget this subsidy or no subsidy issue and face the real challenges of governance (wastage, loopholes, lax regulatory control, corruption, etc). No dey allow these mumu advisers dey take you catch trips. You dey embarrass me sometimes abeg.

u rili highlighted tins that people hasnt seen yet,boil n child in2 a lady for few weeks. vry hilarious,avnt stopd laughn
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by taharqa: 10:05pm On Nov 15, 2012
blink182: Selective deregulation you mean. Jonathan is mad! It should be called total subsidy removal and not deregulation.

After deregulating, nnpc will still oversee who is able to import or not and make sure the price remains high to justify stealing of years past.

I am really getting fed up, can't I listen to news from abuja and smile?

What are you talking about? Even today NNPC does not 'oversee who is able t import or not' as you put it, PPPRA does; and that body would scrapped if Full Deregulation sets in

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by confusion247(m): 10:06pm On Nov 15, 2012
Jonathan has nothing to offer except to promote and legalize corruption. Give jonathan all the money on earth today, he will have nothing to show for it. Nigeria means corruption and Jonathan means failure.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 10:08pm On Nov 15, 2012
another new year gift coming up!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy tongue cool

FRESH AIR,

more grease to your voters tongue

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by lacasa: 10:10pm On Nov 15, 2012
This man and his cronies should be killed!.

The B.astard is not only incompetent and Slow he is the anti-chhrist dat we've bn reading about.

i won't be suprised if he has 666 engraved where his heart is.
angry

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Maxymilliano(m): 10:11pm On Nov 15, 2012
Ignoramuses on rampage... Total subsidy removal is sure the way to go and until then, we'll keep whining and sighing.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by takedat(m): 10:16pm On Nov 15, 2012
taharqa:

Great observation except @emboldened (dont think any ne would set up a Refinery cs of Diesel, PMS is the ecnmic cash-cow for Refiner).

But like a said though: great observation. Its about time those groups against the Deregulation policy sat dowm with Gvt and set some conditions necessary for the full Deregulatin of the sector and Timelines for this (esp as most f them do not oppose the eventual Deregulation per se). Some of the cndition can include:

Yea I agree on the diesel part. I doubt if anyone would be against deregulation of the downstream but the institutional framework and palliatives to make it a success are not yet on ground.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by omowolewa: 10:17pm On Nov 15, 2012
Jonathan insists on Subsiby reemoval.

Labour insists on Increased salary.
Unemployed youth insists on AK47.
Cabals insists on more profit.
Law abiding citizens insists on trecking.
Corrupt leaders insists on more loot.

Action brings reactions; reaction brings actions.
Why not finish with PHCN first and improve the capacity of existing our refineries while building new ones.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by omowolewa: 10:22pm On Nov 15, 2012
DivideUs: another new year gift coming up!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy tongue cool

FRESH AIR,

more grease to your voters tongue

Hope its safe to travel. Once beaten twice shy.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Iaz93: 10:23pm On Nov 15, 2012
obicentlis: I wish am in the military!
LOL!!! Wetin you for do? Plan coup?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by musb92yahooco: 10:23pm On Nov 15, 2012
God dey
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by taharqa: 10:24pm On Nov 15, 2012
take dat: Yea I agree on the diesel part. I doubt if anyone would be against deregulation of the downstream but the institutional framework and palliatives to make it a success are not yet on ground.

apologies @take dat, the comment was not complete; it is now
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Iaz93: 10:26pm On Nov 15, 2012
...but this subsidy removal may be the key to greatest oOh

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 10:28pm On Nov 15, 2012
What is wrong with the world; the resources can no longer sustain its people, we are in for serious problems
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by slimpoppa(m): 10:28pm On Nov 15, 2012
No be small thing o
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by onojiwizardgmailcom(m): 10:29pm On Nov 15, 2012
Guys i think we should give this guy a chance let him do this atleast to end of his time in office, if it is good by that time we will decide. i saw some people here comparing us with libya and venezuela, libya has a population of 6.4 million with daily output of 1.6 million barrel per day and venezuela is 29 million with daily output of 2.36 million while our dear country almost 160 million with daily output of 2.5 million, you will agree with me from above that the both countries above can do any kind of subsidy and their national companies will still do fine, but in our case NNPC will never be profitable with subsidy in place, refineries if you like biuld twenty they will be running at lost because of subsidy, some people here will say we have the oil why not just alocate it to the refineries at local price, that will be lost revenue for the country becuase you will still create a room for curruption to trive, majority of the refined oil will be exported for profit at the detriment of you and me, so for me the best way out is to let this thing go so we buy oil at thesame price as every country around us.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by WSSmith: 10:30pm On Nov 15, 2012
He is just announcing what he was told to say.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by takedat(m): 10:33pm On Nov 15, 2012
taharqa:

apologies @take dat, the comment was not complete; it is now
Beautiful, those are well thought out plans but it will take some time to get them in place. Additionally, the government can sell its 445000bpd at a cheaper rate to genuine importers to bring the price down cos the biggest fear of full deregulation is the changes in price of crude oil. The gradual phasing out of subsidies is the best for now until those frameworks are put in place.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by mkoabiola: 10:33pm On Nov 15, 2012
Oga joe,if u like put am 4 N140 by dec as xmas surprise.
Trus me Njas are survivours.lol
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by obicentlis: 10:35pm On Nov 15, 2012
Iaz93:
LOL!!! Wetin you for do? Plan coup?
Enough reaSon to say, 'Fellow Nigerians, this is ...... Of the Nigerian Army.....
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by sleekdot(m): 10:40pm On Nov 15, 2012
I would be your scapegoat Jonaaaaaaaaa
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Smooyis(m): 10:46pm On Nov 15, 2012
If the govt has recorded visible growth in many sectors it would have earned enough respect and trust from nigerians. But here is a government dat is not even bold enough to prosecute those that have been indicted for d petol subsidy fraud. I think we should stop taking d people for a ride!
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 10:46pm On Nov 15, 2012
obicentlis:
Enough reaSon to say, 'Fellow Nigerians, this is ...... Of the Nigerian Army.....

Oga this is the 21st century. Military coups are out of fashion.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by mrrock: 10:50pm On Nov 15, 2012
Jonathan is very incompetent and is not fit to rule a nation. He is also highly very corrupt as I' am begining to understand it these days.
Why comparing Nigeria (an OPEC country) to Canada (a non OPEC) country?. Why not compare with Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Iran, Lybia?. These are all OPEC countries like Nigeria and they have subsidy for their citizens right now!.
How are they doing it?. How many foreign refinaries is in Lybia??. Why are they subsidy in all these countries??.
I have concluded Jonathan have no moral to fight corruption because he is too corrupt himself. Jail the cabals and see subsidy isn't the problem. The problem is corruption which have your hands tied on the back.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Smooyis(m): 10:51pm On Nov 15, 2012
obicentlis:
Do not incite d military. Lets not abuse the priviledge we have to express our opinons here. At least we nigerians have a right to protest if necessary. Coup detat can never be a better alternative. The military also have their own problems. And who says they are less corrupt.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by taharqa: 10:57pm On Nov 15, 2012
take dat: Beautiful, those are well thought out plans but it will take some time to get them in place. [b]Additionally, the government can sell its 445000bpd at a cheaper rate to genuine importers [/b]to bring the price down cos the biggest fear of full deregulation is the changes in price of crude oil. The gradual phasing out of subsidies is the best for now until those frameworks are put in place.

Yes, it would take some time as well as trust (a commodity that understandably isnt very 'current' between the Govt and the people these days), that is why the Engagement needs to start now and clear Timelines set- maybe if agreement can be reached and a very clear timeline set, the investors would not even need t wait for te actual Deregulation to start the process of building Refineries, Depots, pipelines etc. And this should be treated with the utmost seriously and urgency by the Govt and these Groups cos as you know, the Deregulation of the Downstream sector isnt just about the supposed increase in the prize of PMS but about the competitiveness of the entire sector; it is now even more critical we did something about the sector now that the USA is very serious and on the verge of been Energy Independent.

The passage of the PIB that would reorganise the Upstream and Midstream sectors is also very important (by the way, just heard that the House of Reps has passed the bill through 2nd reading- more pressure needed still so the bill can be passed b4 the end of the year).

@emboldened, this 445,000mbd of crude that NNPC gets, is it from NPDC operations (I doubt they produce more than 100,000mbd) or is it mostly from the IOCs; if it is from the IOCs, can it be sold at a prize other than the International Prize?
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by taharqa: 11:02pm On Nov 15, 2012
Smooyis: If the govt has recorded visible growth in many sectors it would have earned enough respect and trust from nigerians. But here is a government dat is not even bold enough to prosecute those that have been indicted for d petol subsidy fraud. I think we should stop taking d people for a ride!

Why I agree that the real issue to the opposition is the Trust thing between Nigerian Govts and the people, you are wrong @emboldened.

More than 45 individuals and companies are been prosecuted in batches in courts (anther 7 were arraigned just 2 days ago) and their monies have been withheld and so they cant service their debts in the banks talk less of getting new Bank facilities, that's why many of them are closing shops and not able to import fuel. Keep your views fact-based plz,
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 11:18pm On Nov 15, 2012
I stand for deregulation of PMS and complete removal of subsidy for petroleum products. But after subsidy removal, what happens next..... GEJ may come and tell us that a cup of Garri will be sold at #320 at the garri-station, cos garri too has been deregulated

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ndume Stands As Surety For Abdul-rasheed Maina / #NigeriaDecides2023: Tinubu, Atiku, Obi & Kwankwaso In Battle Royale / Gbenga Olawepo: The President Nigeria Needs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.