Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,111 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal (16629 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / 2015 Budget: Reps Query Illegal N222b On Subsidy / Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by stolenstone: 11:28pm On Nov 15, 2012
God punish devil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by takedat(m): 11:33pm On Nov 15, 2012
@Taharqa, full deregulation is the best option provided government is able to provide immediate palliatives. It will turn Nigeria to the Rotterdam of West Africa and provide employment opportunities.
Its good that the PIB is being considered, my fear is the politicisation of the bill and the influence the IOC's will want to exert to frustrate its passage.
the 445000bpd is an agreement between OPEC and Nigeria so it has nothing to do with the IOC's. Its our quota for local consumption, government only decided to be selling it through traders due to the poor state of our refineries but with full deregulation a reduced price from the international market price will be an incentive to refiners and it will reduce cost of petroleum products. The 445000bpd is not from the 2.5mbpd for exportation
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by nairaman66(m): 11:35pm On Nov 15, 2012
(Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal)

GEJ always explains when he wants to take another pair of shoes from Nigerians. He's very out of touch with what is going on in Nigeria! Just a F***ing FIGURE-HEAD!!
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Sirniyeh(m): 11:38pm On Nov 15, 2012
The fear of Otedola and co, has instigated GEJ to voice out. Jona dey fear the consequency of jailing those oil cabals. Na wa o
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by peaceland(m): 11:39pm On Nov 15, 2012
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by leoegbunuyahoo(m): 11:42pm On Nov 15, 2012
God, wen is dis kantry goin to av a good president like d Late Ya'Aradu.... I knw dat God wil surely take dis ful 4rom us by 2015.[color=#990000][/color]

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by mmmustapha(m): 11:44pm On Nov 15, 2012
undecided nigeria great Nation bad leaders, I 4get wen last I enter petrol station. Gej will give U happy xmass n new year wit subsidy removal
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by scribble: 11:44pm On Nov 15, 2012
Billyonaire: Which money will accrue ? Do you really know what subsidy means ? I clamor for subsidy removal so I can join money with my girlfriends and build our private refineries and you talk money accruing.

Everytime you open your mouth, a drop of dumb comes out. I fear it may be contagious. We know you are Nairaland's leading sillionaire but pls when mature men are discussing issues, pls crawl into one of your who.res studio apartment and just watch.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Afolabs101: 11:44pm On Nov 15, 2012
taharqa:

What are you talking about? Even today NNPC does not 'oversee who is able t import or not' as you put it, PPPRA does; and that body would scrapped if Full Deregulation sets in

In order to import any "deregulated product, you must have a license from DPR. To import PMS that is regulated, you must have an import license from DPR and an allocation from PPPRA. DPR, PPPRA and NNPC are all controlled by the Minister of Petroleum. So she "overseas who is able to import or not".

Deregulation means the scrapping of PPPRA allocations for import of PMS, however an import license will still have to be obtained from DPR.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 11:49pm On Nov 15, 2012
I am fascinated just watching how much abuse the docile Nigerian masses can take before they would say enough is enough.

What are our youths waiting for? For their inheritance to be completely squandered?

Fascinating !!

Below is evidence of what the revenue accrued would be used for:

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Wadeoye(m): 11:52pm On Nov 15, 2012
Iaz93: ...but this subsidy removal may be the key to greatest oOh

You are a slowpoke. Can you highlight what has changed in your life since N33 was added on top of N64 at the beginning of the year?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by ldpele(m): 11:54pm On Nov 15, 2012
taharqa:

Why I agree that the real issue to the opposition is the Trust thing between Nigerian Govts and the people, you are wrong @emboldened.

More than 45 individuals and companies are been prosecuted in batches in courts (anther 7 were arraigned just 2 days ago) and their monies have been withheld and so they cant service their debts in the banks talk less of getting new Bank facilities, that's why many of them are closing shops and not able to import fuel. Keep your views fact-based plz,
young man! is it by dis way d presid is gng by it,constitutn panel upon panel,comittee upon comittee. we r @nov n ua telln me d govt had made progress in d fight for d oil cabals wen d struggl startd @jan

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by luc26(f): 11:57pm On Nov 15, 2012
Nigerians shud tke 2 d streets and stp all d tantrums on nairaland pluessss!!! Bt GEJ I thot we were done wit dis subsidy matter

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Hardfact: 11:57pm On Nov 15, 2012
Not just liver removal, GEJ should go for liver transplant as his liver failure makes him incapable of dealing decisively with issues as this

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:02am On Nov 16, 2012
Everytime, Everytime, Everytime, this president was to use us like a Roll on(SURE-P) Roll on(SURE-P) Roll on(SURE-P). cheesy

I am now tired.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by prettyboi1(m): 12:10am On Nov 16, 2012
Lmao. Ha ha, uncle Jona the dullard has come again with all these his many confusions. Continue o but also remember to be praying that people like Buhari & Ribadu don't take over as president when your tenure is over because when your nyansh is sampling kpako bed in jail for corruption nobody would care if it was Diezani, Okupe, Reuben Abati or anyone of your many corrupt friends o.
God Bless the federal Republic of Nigeria. Amen.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by mbaemeka(m): 12:11am On Nov 16, 2012
Mutiu Sumonu the GMD of SHELL was asked recently- why wouldnt SHELL build a refinery in Nigeria? I expected him to say the same bullcrap that GEJ just spewed but what he said shocked me. He said SHELL built a refinery in Nigeria in PHC but it was taken by the millitary govt. Do you expect us to build another one?

Thats the snag with Nigeria, it has always been the corruption. Can we still belabor the truth that states that one shouldnt throw away the baby with the bath water? Why wont he just tackle corruption head on? Oh i forgot, its because he is her advocate. kmt

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by UyiIredia(m): 12:19am On Nov 16, 2012
Mumu president ! He is still talking like this. It saeems the events of January have eluded him.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by 1025: 12:20am On Nov 16, 2012
the only thing poor nigerians benefit from govt among all our resources. God will punish somebody and his family. we are waiting.
that which makes us happy is ur sole target so we will also target that which makes u happy.
do not be decieved, what ur wife went to arrange in germany will not save u.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:23am On Nov 16, 2012
COOLDUN:

How has the deregulated education sector impacted positively in the Nigeria students? It is a pity that you mistake Nigerians to the animals you supposed to be looking after in the zoo, rather than occupying the post you never qualified to occupy. When will GEJ, stop acting script? This man is miss road comedian who supposed to be struggling in the Nollywood industry. Sorry for the dead country Nigeria. Another bloody year 2013.

That is a classic. grin
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by warrior01: 12:29am On Nov 16, 2012
Call him whatever you like; Gej is right on point. Nigeria cannot continue to subsidize Petrol for the whole of West Africa. The sooner we all face the reality and say a big no to fuel subsidy, the better for us all. Just take a trip from Nigeria to Benin and other Ecowas countries, you'll understand why the so called subsidy has to stop now!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 12:30am On Nov 16, 2012
Retardinho is clueless and moronic as usual.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by tosrich(m): 12:36am On Nov 16, 2012
Viewing this topic: pretty_boi(m), trillville(m), Ekestar, Emmy9ite(m), goodluckizuchi, iamswizz(m), Aladinn(m), ldpele, kenny987(f), sly boggie(m), stonefaze, nne3870(f), warrior01, 12 inches!(f), Remmyode(m), mattsteve, thegoodjoehunt(m), dumodust(m), oothoney, anuoluwami, oluwatomiwa and 21 guest(s)
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by warrior01: 12:48am On Nov 16, 2012
1025: the only thing poor nigerians benefit from govt among all our resources. God will punish somebody and his family. we are waiting.
that which makes us happy is ur sole target so we will also target that which makes u happy.
do not be decieved, what ur wife went to arrange in germany will not save u.
Guy, stop deceiving yourself. If you can put your brain to use for a second, you'll notice that the so called poor isn't really benefitting anything from the subsidy fraud. We can't continue to waste our common wealth and expect real developments both in our ways of thinking and overall infrastructural development.
Secondly, God is not gonna punish no one as your lack of common sense is enough punishment for your family. Grow up son and face reality.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by taharqa: 1:06am On Nov 16, 2012
Afolabs101:

In order to import any "deregulated product, you must have a license from DPR. To import PMS that is regulated, you must have an import license from DPR and an allocation from PPPRA. DPR, PPPRA and NNPC are all controlled by the Minister of Petroleum. So she "overseas who is able to import or not".

Deregulation means the scrapping of PPPRA allocations for import of PMS, however an import license will still have to be obtained from DPR.

DPR is not a branch of the NNPC, it is the Regulatory Agency for the entire oil industry. Plz just take that correction and lets stop wasting time
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by taharqa: 1:24am On Nov 16, 2012
taharqa:

Great observation except @emboldened (dont think any one would set up a Refinery cs of Diesel, PMS is the economic cash-cow for Refiner).

But like a said though: great observation. Its about time those groups against the Deregulation policy sat down with Govt and set some conditions necessary for the full Deregulation of the sector and Timelines for this (esp as most of them do not oppose the eventual Deregulation per se). Some of the conditions can include:

- the removal of Demorrages and Transit-time in the ports (since last year this has reduced to a week, but the group can ask that it be further reduced to say 3 days).

- resuscitation of Rail services across the nation (both Lagos-Kano, PH-Maidguri and their various Branches).

- Conviction of Subsidy 'thieves' (at least some of them).

- Provision of at least 15hrs electricity in most parts of Nigeria, conclusion of Privatization programme and maybe even a commitment to a particular MW of electricity.

- Further reduction in the cost of governance across the board, including especially the implementation of the Oronsaye's Report.

- Any other condition that may serve as 'palliatives' for the temporary pains that Nigerians would have to bear immediately the policy sets in.

...Again, I wish to emphasize that most of the groups/persons that lead the protest and opposition to the Subsidy removal already agree that we would need to eventually Deregulate. Maybe it is now time to Engage the govt, give our conditions, set timelines and then if substantially met by the govt, Deregulation can commence by middle or the end of next year.

-I think e should add the passage of the PIB bill that would completely reorganise the Oil industry and make the players and the Regulatory body (National Inspectorate) much stronger, efficient and transparency.

- We can also demand that Govt can keep the PSF for say 6 months after the Deregulation so that those people that live far from the existing Refineries or from the ports, would not have to pay too much prize difference from others. After this short time, the PSF can then be completely scrapped.
In fact, we can discuss any condition with the govt as long as it would make the transition easier for Nigerians, and that it would help Nigeria at the long run.

Let me reemphasize that most of the peple and bodies that led us in the protest and opposition t the last attempt to Deregulate the sector actually support Deregulation but after some conditions have been met. The President should provide leadership and call them in order to enter into discussion about how best and what time we can Deregulate the industry without bringing too much pain to ordinary Nigerians and moving the critical sector forward; these Groups should oblige.

By the way, one of the main architects of January's opposition is El Rufai (someone who was former chairman of BPE and a believer himself in the 'merits' of Dregulation, who pushed for Deregulation of the oil industry during the Obasanjo era when he served in govt) said this in one of his articles this year:

The government needs to apologize to Nigerians and go back to the drawing board. Nigerians, including this writer, are not against deregulation per se and if any example of shoddy government is needed, it is to be found in this current impasse of subsidy removal. Deregulation is a package of transition from public monopoly to competitive market. Necessary ingredients for this transition include at the barest minimum; (1) Well articulated policy review (2) Enabling legislation to de-monopolize the sector (3) A regulatory agency that will supervise the sector and implement the program (4) Attracting and licensing of private sector providers in the sector. That is what we did in the BPE with the telecommunications sector, and now the electricity industry

We should amongst ourselves and with the Govt; some level of Consensus is not impossible.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by taharqa: 1:33am On Nov 16, 2012
ldpele: young man! is it by dis way d presid is gng by it,constitutn panel upon panel,comittee upon comittee. we r @nov n ua telln me d govt had made progress in d fight for d oil cabals wen d struggl startd @jan

Young man! what do you want him to do or to have done? Lie any Suspect and order a Firing Squad? If not, it takes time to build cases and prosecution in courts, you know..any ways, i like to hear what you would have done if you were the one ie SOLUTIONS plz

Hope you understood my response well o :

Why I agree that the real issue to the opposition is the Trust thing between Nigerian Govts and the people, you are wrong @emboldened.

More than 45 individuals and companies are been prosecuted in batches in courts (anther 7 were arraigned just 2 days ago) and their monies have been withheld and so they cant service their debts in the banks talk less of getting new Bank facilities, that's why many of them are closing shops and not able to import fuel. Keep your views fact-based plz
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by taharqa: 1:45am On Nov 16, 2012
take dat: @Taharqa, full deregulation is the best option provided government is able to provide immediate palliatives. It will turn Nigeria to the Rotterdam of West Africa and provide employment opportunities.
Its good that the PIB is being considered, my fear is the politicisation of the bill and the influence the IOC's will want to exert to frustrate its passage.
the 445000bpd is an agreement between OPEC and Nigeria so it has nothing to do with the IOC's. Its our quota for local consumption, government only decided to be selling it through traders due to the poor state of our refineries but with full deregulation a reduced price from the international market price will be an incentive to refiners and it will reduce cost of petroleum products. The 445000bpd is not from the 2.5mbpd for exportation

We are in agreement then: it is the best option but the best way to go about it so that the transistion would not be that difficult is what is required. That is why a Sincere series of talks must start NOW (we may end up doing the Deregulatin in 2014 but the talk and process should start NOW).

Am going to do some research on this 445,000mbd. I think it is the IOCs that produce most of it since NPDC does not have the capacity to produce such quantity per day, but I may be wrong is my assumptions that the oil needs to be sold at Internatinal prize cos d IOCs produce most of it; as you rightly said, it is our OPEC 'cut'- so its prize may just be a little above Production cost, not d International prize. Maybe each IOC have a quota they 'give' to us every day for local consumption at an amount below the international prize; if so that may be the key to Deregulatin, yet with a lower than the current Landing (international) cost for PMS. So if our Refineries can be running at say 70% (which would still nt be sufficient) and there is a direct arrangement in the mean time (before private refineries come on stream) bw d NNPC and some refiners abroad, we could actually importing refind crude at a cost lower than d international prize. Problem here though is that d NNPC recently startd selling part of this 445,000mbd at international prizes, and crucially i dont even know if the 445,000mbd crude wud be sufficient for the nation if fully refind cos if not, anoda dummy variable may be introducd complicating the already complex equatn and needs to be solvd
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by BetaThings: 1:52am On Nov 16, 2012
Billyonaire: Subsidy just have to go. We are already buying fuel at exorbitant prices due to scarcity occasioned by limited importation and regulatory flaws.
Please remind us of GEJ's promises and how much of these have been delivered
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by BetaThings: 1:54am On Nov 16, 2012
taharqa:

Young man! what do you want him to do or to have done? Lie any Suspect and order a Firing Squad? If not, it takes time to build cases and prosecution in courts, you know..any ways, i like to hear what you would have done if you were the one ie SOLUTIONS plz

Hope you understood my response well o :

It takes time, right?
Do you remember these people
President Yaradua
Bode George
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by danikik7: 2:05am On Nov 16, 2012
Check other oil producing countries like Saudi,Iraq,UAE,Russia etc are we not seeing tremendous amount of development taken place?Did they remove subsidy on petroleum product? Until you stop treating these thieves in your government as sacred cow then, any of your achievement is vanity.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by COOLDUN: 2:18am On Nov 16, 2012
onojiwizard@gmail.com:
Guys i think we should give this guy a chance let him do this atleast to end of his time in office, if it is good by that time we will decide. i saw some people here comparing us with libya and venezuela, libya has a population of 6.4 million with daily output of 1.6 million barrel per day and venezuela is 29 million with daily output of 2.36 million while our dear country almost 160 million with daily output of 2.5 million, you will agree with me from above that the both countries above can do any kind of subsidy and their national companies will still do fine, but in our case NNPC will never be profitable with subsidy in place, refineries if you like biuld twenty they will be running at lost because of subsidy, some people here will say we have the oil why not just alocate it to the refineries at local price, that will be lost revenue for the country becuase you will still create a room for curruption to trive, majority of the refined oil will be exported for profit at the detriment of you and me, so for me the best way out is to let this thing go so we buy oil at thesame price as every country around us.

Then we can be compared to Canada right? By the way if there was no Oil in Nigeria, what would have been used as an excuse for the dying economy? If you like, you can continue to defend your government, who cares but the fact remains that the already deregulated products like Diesel is still a mirage. Millions of your type can occupy this nairaland forum for your duties but logically you won't succeed to fool everyone with these theorical economic policies. If Nigeria was not populated you would have used it as an excuse of not having a functioning economy.

Now Nigeria is over populated and that is why the masses should be wiped out with economical hardship. 1982 it was Austerity measure, I989 it was SAP, 1999 till 2010 it was Privatization, now it is Deregulation, still nothing is working. Europeans are rejecting what we accepted whole heartedly that has been sucking Nigerians to death,since 1982.Bad workman always quarrels with his tools. if your salary can't sustain you, then over time will never sustain you too.

Many countries that have no single drop of oil are fast developing and growing economically, while Nigeria government is always giving unnecessary excuses. With the level of CORRUPTION in this country, mostly in this present regime, no amount of fund can do anything if it is not adequately addressed. Next we will be hearing CABALS, TERRORIST, ELITES, BUNKERERS, NLC, ASUU, and OPPOSITION PARTIES that are responsible for the economical stagnancy in Nigeria.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gbenga Olawepo: The President Nigeria Needs / APC Presidential Primary: Confusion, Horse-Trading Among Govs, Aspirants’ Camps / Boko Haram: The Reasons Why We Bombed Kano And More Attack To Come

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.