Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,490 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:29 AM

Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal (16616 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / 2015 Budget: Reps Query Illegal N222b On Subsidy / Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by thelastPope(m): 4:35pm On Nov 16, 2012
GenBuhari: [size=20pt]What does subsidy removal mean?

Am I correct in asserting that if I was to remove a subsidy , the resulting price can not increase by upto 100%

PLEASE CAN ANY MATHMATICIAN OR ECONOMIST CORRECT ME IF MY ASSUMPTON IS INCORRECT.

Someone please then explain how the same subsidy continue to be removed since Obasanjo's rule when fuel was around N27 / litre - Obasanjo increased the price by over 500% undecided

Someone please tell me I have not lost my mind undecided[/size]

Every year, the price of a barrel of fuel continues to go up all over the world. Use your google. The international price of fuel is not the same today as it was in OBJ's time. So the need for subsidy does not change. In fact, the amount required for subsidy increases as the price per barrel increases. Same thing applies all over the world where subsidy is required
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by anulaxad(m): 5:25pm On Nov 16, 2012
garri_gangster:
Educated illiterate
was that meant to mean i'm born and raised in England i come originally from this country and i i study economics so don't insult me i love Nigerians because there very happy people. illiteracy is what is killing you shit dick tongue and think before you comment which human will still support this guy Jonathan after all his taken this country through angry
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 5:31pm On Nov 16, 2012
Where do you get this information?

So you are saying that as subsidy is being removed it is being re-applied. Is that not non-sensical to you?

So when Obasanjo increased fuel prices by 500%, was it because worldwide fuel prices also increased by 500%

What are Nigerians taken for? Does govt think we are a bunch of 2 year olds undecided ?

thelastPope:

Every year, the price of a barrel of fuel continues to go up all over the world. Use your google. The international price of fuel is not the same today as it was in OBJ's time. So the need for subsidy does not change. In fact, the amount required for subsidy increases as the price per barrel increases. Same thing applies all over the world where subsidy is required
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by luluosas(m): 5:33pm On Nov 16, 2012
otokx:

I know but let it be removed so that Nigerians can suffer very well and perhaps the suffering will make their eyes to be opened to the truth, however my 6th sense tells me that they will adjust to the suffering so in the end GEJ will have no excuse not to perform like he has now.
Now I get you better. Nigerians, are you ready for more suffer head?
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 16, 2012
So Nigerian govt choose to constantly give us subsidy without consulting us, only to constantly remove it again?

Where is sense in that?

Besides when has the application of subsidy application ever announced in Nigeria's history?

If it looks like a scam and smells like a scam , it usually is a scam.
thelastPope:

Am I correct in asserting that if I was to remove a subsidy , the resulting price can not increase by upto 100%

PLEASE CAN ANY MATHMATICIAN OR ECONOMIST CORRECT ME IF MY ASSUMPTON IS INCORRECT.

Someone please then explain how the same subsidy continue to be removed since Obasanjo's rule when fuel was around N27 / litre - Obasanjo increased the price by over 500% undecided

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by anulaxad(m): 5:54pm On Nov 16, 2012
omenka:

im affraid you hardly seem to understand what fuel subsidy is.. Plus, Jonathan wasn't the president who instituted it.. It has been inplace since time immemorial..

i'm afraid your wrong he did instituted the subsidy around February well he or as i will say he increased it from 65N to 120N now it might be 97N and the only reason why is because of the protest that those brave Nigerians stood up for themselves and there country and i know my job that i do makes me travel allot so I've been Lagos several times (i'm Nigerian British) (in Lagos that's when i discovered nairaland) so don't change the truth he rised the prices and he wanting to bring them shocked what a surprise(not really) his just wanting you lot to see him as a nice person don't fall for the trick mate your gonna regret it. lipsrsealed
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by anulaxad(m): 6:03pm On Nov 16, 2012

you got it all wrong mate he did that because the world was suffering inflammations and oil prices was increasing because oil was deceasing he should have raised it up more and Nigerians knew that that's why they were not protests he was warned and threatened to increase it more and i know because that was one of my important cases that i had too study at university.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by lanrefront1(m): 6:29pm On Nov 16, 2012
This thing has been explained a million times over. The removal of subsidy the government is championing does not stop the cabals does not reduce by a single kobo the billions the cabals will be chopping. The price and weight of this subsidy scam is getting too much to be even sustained by government's purse. So by increasing price of fuel to N120, the cabals can start collecting the money directly from the people instead of the government. That way, the scam can continue without crippling GEJ's administration financially.

Summary of GEJ's. Subsidy removal policy :

GEJ: My fellow Cabals, you know I'm one of you. Yes I know, the Cabals must as of a necessity continue to feed fat; but the truth is, the weight is becoming too much for the government to bear. Tongues are beginning wag all over the world. What shall we do?

Fellow Cabals: If that is the problem, then what we must do is to transfer that burden from the neck of the government to the neck of the people. Increase the price of fuel, then we won't need to coming to government for subsidy payments. We can just collect directly from the people through higher prices. In the end, we may even be getting more money because as time go on, you can continue to increase the price.

GEJ: oh yes; that is a very good advise. That is what we will do.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by COOLDUN: 8:03pm On Nov 16, 2012
Wadeoye:

When people allow bigotry to reduce their brain capacity to that of a sheep, this is what happens. We saw all these and we warned you guys.

My dear do not blame him/her with such harsh word, mistake is very good when the wise and prudent fellow learns from it and make an appropriate correction to his/her mistake. It is good to hear such confessional statement like this. You can never know the taste of food until you taste it. I hope many Nigerians that feel the same, would realize their mistakes and correct them. I am not a member of any party, but I am a qualified voter with my voter’s card. If there will be an election coming 2015, then we shall see the might of the people.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 10:10pm On Nov 16, 2012
What you have have stated is not easy to understand.

Please break it down for me.

Which president are you referring to?

I guess it theoretically it us possible fro removal of subsidy to result in a greater than 100% price increase.

But realistically, when have you ever known Nigerian PDP goverment in the last 14 years to compassionately subsidise anything or worry about hardship of the masses enough to apply subsidy on anything?

First do you agree or not that removing subsidy cannot realistically justify 1000% (one thousand percent) fuel price increase in 14 years.

Has anybody in the history of Nigeria ever heard the goverment quantify the subsidy they are claiming to be removing?

Has anybody in history of Nigeria ever remember when government announce that they were going to start subsidising fuel and how much they were going to subsidise by?

I have been researching Nigerian history for over 12 months and have not come across these information.

The best experts in Nigeria's oil industry including Buhari have all said that Nigeria fuel price has never been subsidised and this is a man who ruled us when fuel cost about 20 kobo per litre.

anulaxad: you got it all wrong mate he did that because the world was suffering inflammations and oil prices was increasing because oil was deceasing he should have raised it up more and Nigerians knew that that's why they were not protests he was warned and threatened to increase it more and i know because that was one of my important cases that i had too study at university.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by anulaxad(m): 9:36am On Nov 17, 2012
sorry im talking about obasanjo [ quote author=GenBuhari]What you have have stated is not easy to understand.

Please break it down for me.

Which president are you referring to?

I guess it theoretically it us possible fro removal of subsidy to result in a greater than 100% price increase.

But realistically, when have you ever known Nigerian PDP goverment in the last 14 years to compassionately subsidise anything or worry about hardship of the masses enough to apply subsidy on anything?

First do you agree or not that removing subsidy cannot

[/quote]
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 6:29pm On Nov 17, 2012
Obasanjo started the lie of calling fuel price hikes subsidy removal.

Why lie?

It is easy to sell the fuel price increases by claiming you are removing a subsidy (which nobody knew existed) than to call it what it really is - a "fuel tax" to raise revenue.

Because most of the this "fuel tax" is intended to be squandered and looted, by calling it subsidy removal, Obasanjo and now GEJ feel they would be little scrutiny on how the revenue raised would be utilised.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Maidamma: 8:13pm On Nov 18, 2012
luluosas:
Now I get you better. Nigerians, are you ready for more suffer head?
luglose or whateva ur I'd is why r u a confused lad? Cooldun talk some sense to dis boy abeg
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by anulaxad(m): 9:07pm On Nov 18, 2012
GenBuhari: Obasanjo started the lie of calling fuel price hikes subsidy removal.

Why lie?

It is easy to sell the fuel price increases by claiming you are removing a subsidy (which nobody knew existed) than to call it what it really is - a fuel tax to raise revenue, and because most of the this tax is intended to be squandered and looted, by calling it subsidy removal Obasanjo and now GEJ feel they would be little scrutiny on how the revenue raise would be utilised.

look you Nigerians and your grammar i didn't even bother to read it but oil disappearing has been a problem since 1999 and obsanjo was just being nice for not raising it up by 2000 percent.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Iaz93: 9:39am On Dec 11, 2012
Wadeoye:

You are a slowpoke. Can you highlight what has changed in your life since N33 was added on top of N64 at the beginning of the year?
a lot!...and must you use abusive words?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

2015: Governors, Ministers, Opt For Foreign GSM Lines / Lawan, Akpabio: Supreme Court Lambasts Kperogi, Faceless Groups / Cash Swap Riots: We Are Investigating Governors Over Inciting Utterances – IGP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.