Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,335 members, 7,819,169 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal (16636 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / 2015 Budget: Reps Query Illegal N222b On Subsidy / Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 9:16pm On Nov 15, 2012
President Goodluck Jonathan of Nigeria on Thursday insisted that full deregulation of the petroleum downstream sector is the solution to incessant fuel scarcity in the country.

He said that to attract investors to build refineries in the country and thereby ending importation of petroleum products into the country, subsidy must go.

Speaking when he received the report of the graduating participants of the Senior Executive Course 34, 2012 of the National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru, at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, the President noted that only if people could bear the pain, total removal of fuel subsidy would make Nigerians happier.

[b]He likened the process of transforming a nation to surgery which could be painful but would make the patient healthier at the end.

“Why is it that people are not building refineries in Nigeria despite that it is a big business? It is because of the policy of subsidy, and that is why we want to get out of it.

“To change a nation is like surgery. If you have a young daughter of five years who has a boil at a very strategic part of the face, you either as a parent leave that boil because the young girl will cry or you take the girl to the surgeon.

“So you have the option of just robbing mentholatum on the face until the boil will bust and disfigure her face or you take that child to the surgeon. On the sighting of a scalpel of the surgeon alone, the child will start crying. But if she bears the pains and do the incision and treat it, after some days or week, the child will grow up to be a beautiful lady.

“There are certain decisions that government must take that may be painful at the beginning and people must be properly informed so that they will be ready to bear the pains."[/b]

The President was also optimistic about the possibility of the country achieving a turnaround in fortune within 10 years with the right policy in place.

He said, “I believe that you do not need a lifetime to change a nation. Under 10 years, Nigeria can change and people will not even believe that this is Nigeria again. Immediately you come up with strong policies in key sectors of the economy and keep it for 10 years, the change will be astronomical."

Reacting to the comparison made between Canada and Nigeria on the issue of refineries by the grandaunts, the President said, Canada has 16 functional refineries and Nigeria has four that are struggling to refine at 30 per cent capacity of installed capacity while all the refineries in Canada are privately-owned.

"Immediately you made that statement, I sent a note to my chief Economic Adviser to tell me the ownership structure of the refineries in Canada. He replied that all the refineries in Canada are private sector owned with strong public sector regulatory regime and this is the key thing," he said.

Source

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Immune1(m): 9:32pm On Nov 15, 2012
its been a long time coming........

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Detonatorrex(m): 9:33pm On Nov 15, 2012
confused fellow lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by ab1x: 9:35pm On Nov 15, 2012
I already know that it will result to that. I'♏ sorry for this entity called Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 9:36pm On Nov 15, 2012
This country is stupid...first power was about to be privatized,, then this i_diot said due processes werent followed...nw with all d money flowing into their pocket in Nigeria he feels it is only d money realised frm subsidy removal dats gonna change d scarcity of fuel.... F_uck Nigeria... F_uck d government... F_uck Gej

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Super1759: 9:37pm On Nov 15, 2012
december is here again, january subsidy drama wants to repeat itself again

*pheww, I haFf die.*.

7 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by acidtalk: 9:37pm On Nov 15, 2012
Barawo.
You will go the way Ghadaffi went only this time it will be with pebbles thrown at you.

Few MONTHS back I came out to say The Fuel scarcity is being staged played by the Jonathan Government just to remove fuel subsidy but most of you disregarded my post. Now it has happened and you all are crying fowl

Fuel Scarcity Is A Plot By Jonathan To Remove Feul Subsidy, Nigerians Arise

https://www.nairaland.com/1051039/fuel-scarsity-plot-jonathan-remove

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Benzora(m): 9:37pm On Nov 15, 2012
Very illiterate fellow! Your government is the most corrupt in the history of this entity and no amount of policies can salvage this nation's continous drift into hopelessness and eventual collapse as long as corruption remains your strongest policy. America still provides subsidy to key sectors. Olodo!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by doctokwus: 9:38pm On Nov 15, 2012
The problem is dat I don't evn think GEJ has d capacity& know-how to utilize d money dat will accrue from d removal.So d issue is not fuel subsidy removal per se,but is there d competence to properly account& utilize it for growth?Am convinced dis does not presently exist& until a regime dat shows dat competence& accountabilty appears,fuel subsidy has to remain
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 9:40pm On Nov 15, 2012
"Immediately you made that statement, I sent a note to my chief Economic Adviser to tell me the ownership structure of the refineries in Canada. He replied that all the refineries in Canada are private sector owned with strong public sector regulatory regime and this is the key thing," he said.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by kachy: 9:40pm On Nov 15, 2012
Haven't they removed the subsidy already? Can't remember the last time I didn't buy fuel @ 140. That guy sef.......
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by takedat(m): 9:41pm On Nov 15, 2012
No one is against full deregulation but where are the palliatives to ease the initial discomfort of deregulation. Is Canada the same as Nigeria? Is the standard of living in Canada same as Nigeria?Why is it that diesel has been deregulated for sometime now and no importer of diesel is yet to build a refinery and its price is still high? May God save Nigeria from clueless and inhumane leaders.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Youngzedd(m): 9:42pm On Nov 15, 2012
Total removal of what?
Did u smoke weed? (Sorry for the harsh word though)

What have you done to subsidy scammers now u want to remove it entirely and enrich the pocket of morons.
what result did we get from those scammers that were found guilty.

If say na joke better stop am Mr President.

We no be M.U.M.U

una wan do coding again abi.

Where is Pastor Tunde Bakere.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 9:42pm On Nov 15, 2012
doctokwus: [b]The problem is dat I don't evn think GEJ has d capacity& know-how to utilize d money dat will accrue from d removal.So d issue is not fuel subsidy removal per se,[/b]but is there d competence to properly account& utilize it for growth?Am convinced dis does not presently exist& until a regime dat shows dat competence& accountabilty appears,fuel subsidy has to remain
Which money will accrue ? Do you really know what subsidy means ? I clamor for subsidy removal so I can join money with my girlfriends and build our private refineries and you talk money accruing.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by FreeGlobe(f): 9:43pm On Nov 15, 2012
what has the dullard done with the part subsidy money he has now? fuel used to be 65 naira

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by ask4double(m): 9:44pm On Nov 15, 2012
Jo boi.... U de fall hand sha.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 9:47pm On Nov 15, 2012
Na today, Nigerians would always survive.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Kx: 9:47pm On Nov 15, 2012
FinaLly, he is tired of keeping mute over d subsidy issue.
Where is otedolar and farouk now?are all d subsidy scam suspects/culprits in jail now?

Does he give a damn?
Why is he comparing fuel price increase with surgery?
Is it no longer like for like?
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by jayjam(m): 9:47pm On Nov 15, 2012
Substitution:GEJ out LAMIDO in.Even OBJ is beginning to concede that GEJ is bereft of ideas.Nigerian politics should also be deregulated,i strongly advocate a 2-mega party system for this contraption of the derelict of planet 'pluto'where an evil party could be easily downed in polls.NIGERIANS SHOULD HENCEFORTH VOTE MANIFESTOS AND NOT POLITRICKIANS
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by kaysy(m): 9:48pm On Nov 15, 2012
The annoying thing is that 2015 is too far from here, atleast to trow this guy outta that Government House

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by emydot(m): 9:48pm On Nov 15, 2012
Make dem dey ready for r.evolution if dem one commot fuel subsidy grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 9:49pm On Nov 15, 2012

If you have a young daughter of five years who has a boil at a very strategic part of the face, you either as a parent leave that boil because the young girl will cry or you take the girl to the surgeon.

Who sends a child to the surgeon to get rid of a "boil" on the face? Surely, that's an overkill - even for a president's daughter, no?

“So you have the option of just robbing mentholatum on the face until the boil will bust and disfigure her face or you take that child to the surgeon. On the sighting of a scalpel of the surgeon alone, the child will start crying. But if she bears the pains and do the incision and treat it, after some days or week, the child will grow up to be a beautiful lady.
Really? From a "child" to a "lady" in just a few days or "week"?

Mr. President. I be your supporter oh, but forget this subsidy or no subsidy issue and face the real challenges of governance (wastage, loopholes, lax regulatory control, corruption, etc). No dey allow these mumu advisers dey take you catch trips. You dey embarrass me sometimes abeg.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 9:50pm On Nov 15, 2012
LOL...christmas gifts to Nigerians!!! I weep!!!
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 9:50pm On Nov 15, 2012
Who are u deceiving govt
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by rman: 9:50pm On Nov 15, 2012
I thought we are paying 97 naira (now 120 naira) so that some things can be put in place before full subsidy removal.

I knew this what government is planning when the scarcity started towards the end of this year again.

GEJ should do what he thinks he has to do, if by 2015 he has nothing significant to show, then the masses will be waiting.

We are also getting older and wiser democratically

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 9:51pm On Nov 15, 2012
Subsidy just have to go. We are already buying fuel at exorbitant prices due to scarcity occasioned by limited importation and regulatory flaws.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by doctokwus: 9:51pm On Nov 15, 2012
Billyonaire: Which money will accrue ? Do you really know what subsidy means ? I clamor for subsidy removal so I can join money with my girlfriends and build our private refineries and you talk money accruing.
An average of N500b/year is spent on subsidy by d govt;wen dat mony is no longer given out,has N500b not accrued to d govt dat shd den be spent on growth of d economy if we had a govt dat has any clue.So dat is not accruement to u;billy!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by otokx(m): 9:51pm On Nov 15, 2012
Well the thing is people are tired, we are already buying a litre at 130 here in Port Harcourt pump price and 200 black market.
Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by obicentlis: 9:55pm On Nov 15, 2012
I wish am in the military!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by Youngzedd(m): 9:56pm On Nov 15, 2012
Kx: FinaLly, he is tired of keeping mute over d subsidy issue.
Where is otedolar and farouk now?are all d subsidy scam suspects/culprits in jail now?

Does he give a damn?
Why is he comparing fuel price increase with surgery?
Is it no longer like for like?

Ask am.

We buy @ N140 now, when they remove it entirely that means it will sky-rocket to N250.

lmao

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Insists On Subsidy Removal by COOLDUN: 9:56pm On Nov 15, 2012
Folks have you seen what I said in my recent posting on this nairaland? Immediately I read his recent comments on the petroleum matters last month I knew it would lead to this trash again.

How many private companies own the functioning refineries in Libya, Venezuela, and other countries that produce crude oil like Nigeria? You are comparing Nigeria with Canada right? In what way? What have you done with the hiked price you welcomed people with this year January? You are over feeding yourself with 1 billion Naira food allowance, and that is your problem. When you finally deregulate the oil sector, you will turn around and terminate the contacts as you are doing to the Power sector.

How has the deregulated education sector impacted positively in the Nigeria students? It is a pity that you mistake Nigerians to the animals you supposed to be looking after in the zoo, rather than occupying the post you never qualified to occupy. When will GEJ, stop acting script? This man is miss road comedian who supposed to be struggling in the Nollywood industry. Sorry for the dead country Nigeria. Another bloody year 2013.

19 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FG To Extradite Lawal Olaniyi Babafemi, To U.S. / #EdoDecides: Obaseki Boycotts Public Debate / 2019 Budget: Buhari To Spend N1bn On Trips, Osinbajo 300m (see Full Breakdown)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.