Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,102 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer (55868 Views)

Innoson Motors Spotted At The National Assembly Complex (See Photos) / Innoson Motors, Places Nigeria In The List Of Car Manufacturer / The Best Of IVM Motors (Innoson Motors) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Nobody: 10:27am On Nov 24, 2012
LOZENGE: no one is diputing that. but the fact remains thtat its the first of its kind in Africa. common guy lets commend this laudable achievement

I understand. But that means the thread title is misleading, it's quite clear what it's saying.

Personally, I don't see Innoson as a manufacturer. What components in their vehicles are wholly Nigerian made? Even down to the basic plastic parts? I've looked at the pick-up truck, and the bodyshell is actually an Isuzu. So it's not even built by the Chinese. The engines, running gear and interior trim may well have Chinese content, but it's an Isuzu clone. The same goes for the buses, clones of their respective originals.

So where does the INNOSON angle figure? And just one thing - is anyone here old enough to remember Eddy-Bongos back in the mid '70's to the early '80's? ANAMMCO (Anambra Motor Manufacturing Company)? ANNAMCO churned out vehicles under the Eddy-Bongos brand, which were in fact thinly disguised Mazda commercial buses. I was a not even a teenager back then, but I still understood the concept. How different is INNOSON?

While I admire Chukwuma's concept, providing local employment, it would be false to claim INNOSON is an assembly plant. Forget fully robotised production, there are hand-built cars even today, which are mostly exclusive, non mass-produced vehicles. This is very different from INNOSON.

And before the word "hater" gets bandied about, think carefully. If someone has a contrary view, it doesn't make them a "hater". It simply means (at least in this context) that they're putting emotion aside, and thinking outside the box.

2 Likes

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Denise216(f): 6:34am On Nov 25, 2012
LOZENGE: no one is diputing that. but the fact remains thtat its the first of its kind in Africa. common guy lets commend this laudable achievement

But its not a first for people of African descent. Innoson Motors is a post-colonial achievement and that is where the emphasis should be placed. Innovation without the conditional assistance of the West and an equal, international partnership without Western consent or benefit.

1 Like

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by 7lives: 12:19pm On Nov 25, 2012
@sienna, i congratulate you for being one of the few informed Nigerians.
There is nothing wrong in having a dream, but Nigerians need to understand that dream dies first, the only way we as a country can actualize our dreams is to simply wake up.
White people will come to commend us for taking so many wrong steps, this is the only way they can keep us under control.
These are highly classified information, during the era of cold war, so many Chinese super brains were wasted in American universities, simply because the American government want to prevent the transfer of knowledge to China.
The Chinese government had the will power, new set of people were sent out to the same America with a different strategy, so most of these new set didn't even wait for their results, as soon as they finish their programs, they board the next available flights to china.
This was how the Chinese got to where they are today, no country will give Nigeria any technology, branding is not manufacturing so we as a country should start thinking and our government should sit up.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by ikeyman00(m): 2:56pm On Nov 25, 2012
^^^^^^ all the above comments will never make sense as far as manufacturing is concern in this part of the world
if una like talk about sending man to the moon and afterward talk about the same man bring down skill to build wat not

but one thing certain; make no mistake about it; the great Igbo ingenuity isnt beans or moi moi

this country could only embrace it or we all keep retrogressing and die as a country

i even read here when someone talk about Nigeria cant even build bicycle and that? hahhha like some said we are not one people!

a serious country should be working on this great spirit and not talking rubbish as always in nl

today Malaysia is the biggest exporter of palm oil which is in very high demand for biscuit making etc cuz its cheap

Still at it; u have the great _________ lipsrsealed spirit doing their thing in ladipo market while some man is more of worry if the bulk head is hammered and wielded to fit in the dash

NONE SENSE

We as a people need to change because some of us is the wahala itself

3 Likes

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by eaglechild: 5:32pm On Nov 25, 2012
7lives: @sienna, i congratulate you for being one of the few informed Nigerians.
There is nothing wrong in having a dream, but Nigerians need to understand that dream dies first, the only way we as a country can actualize our dreams is to simply wake up.
White people will come to commend us for taking so many wrong steps, this is the only way they can keep us under control.
These are highly classified information, during the era of cold war, so many Chinese super brains were wasted in American universities, simply because the American government want to prevent the transfer of knowledge to China.
The Chinese government had the will power, new set of people were sent out to the same America with a different strategy, so most of these new set didn't even wait for their results, as soon as they finish their programs, they board the next available flights to china.
This was how the Chinese got to where they are today, no country will give Nigeria any technology, branding is not manufacturing so we as a country should start thinking and our government should sit up.
U are contradicting urself.
How else do u want the technology transfer to take place?
Or u want him to start producing super cars as starters?
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by LOZENGE(m): 9:22pm On Nov 26, 2012
eaglechild:
U are contradicting urself.
How else do u want the technology transfer to take place?
Or u want him to start producing super cars as starters?
tell them ooooooooooo
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Nobody: 9:52pm On Nov 27, 2012
leftone: Akingbemaru might be right.
I work at the apapa port and I see Inosson consignments come in.
They are what we call CKD(completely knocked down) goods which are assembled in Nigeria.
This is so because it attracts a low rate of duty.
Inosson imports CKD vehicles and only assembles here.
I can say that as a fact.
Don't get me wrong here.
It is a very good innovation.
I only mentioned this because of the fact manufacturing and assembling was mentioned.
It is cheaper to manufacture in china and asemble here.

Imagine the lenght people go just to knock others shine. Do u kno wat CDK is. When did u start workin in the wharf. Didnt i see at oshodi today
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Nobody: 9:57pm On Nov 27, 2012
leftone: Akingbemaru might be right.
I work at the apapa port and I see Inosson consignments come in.
They are what we call CKD(completely knocked down) goods which are assembled in Nigeria.
This is so because it attracts a low rate of duty.
Inosson imports CKD vehicles and only assembles here.
I can say that as a fact.
Don't get me wrong here.
It is a very good innovation.
I only mentioned this because of the fact manufacturing and assembling was mentioned.
It is cheaper to manufacture in china and asemble here.

Imagine the lenght people go just to knock others shine. Do u kno wat CDK is. When did u start workin in the wharf. Didnt i see u at oshodi today
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by ABAKA72(m): 4:58am On Nov 28, 2012
Siena:

I understand. But that means the thread title is misleading, it's quite clear what it's saying.

Personally, I don't see Innoson as a manufacturer. What components in their vehicles are wholly Nigerian made? Even down to the basic plastic parts? I've looked at the pick-up truck, and the bodyshell is actually an Isuzu. So it's not even built by the Chinese. The engines, running gear and interior trim may well have Chinese content, but it's an Isuzu clone. The same goes for the buses, clones of their respective originals.

So where does the INNOSON angle figure? And just one thing - is anyone here old enough to remember Eddy-Bongos back in the mid '70's to the early '80's? ANAMMCO (Anambra Motor Manufacturing Company)? ANNAMCO churned out vehicles under the Eddy-Bongos brand, which were in fact thinly disguised Mazda commercial buses. I was a not even a teenager back then, but I still understood the concept. How different is INNOSON?

While I admire Chukwuma's concept, providing local employment, it would be false to claim INNOSON is an assembly plant. Forgot fully robotised production, there are hand-built cars even today, which are mostly exclusive, non mass-produced vehicles. This is very different from INNOSON.

And before the word "hater" gets bandied about, think carefully. If someone has a contrary view, it doesn't make them a "hater". It simply means (at least in this context) that they're putting emotion aside, and thinking outside the box.
while you sweat, puff and fret trying to disprove the reality on ground, Innoson motors grows. I understand you are not happy because it is not happening in Lagos or Ibadan, well, am sorry, it is not anybody's fault, you people should work harder and do less talking, that's the secret.

2 Likes

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by captalex(m): 3:28pm On Nov 28, 2012
PHIPEX: I don't know much about the safety checks it has passed and the ones he's yet to pass but the Standard Organisation of Nigeria Uses Innoson vehicles as its official staff bus. If there is any one that should be concerned about safety checks in Nigeria it should be SON but since SON uses it then I will believe it must have passed those checks you are concerned about.

Still not good enough, do you know the kind of stress/heat/speed tests mercedes/BMW/Toyota and other car brands put their vehicles through before they put them in the showrooms for you to buy?. If you don't value your life and think that the fact that SON uses the bus means that it's safe (crash wise),better think again. After all the bus could have been given to them for free.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Nobody: 4:42pm On Nov 28, 2012
ABAKA72: while you sweat, puff and fret trying to disprove the reality on ground, Innoson motors grows. I understand you are not happy because it is not happening in Lagos or Ibadan, well, am sorry, it is not anybody's fault, you people should work harder and do less talking, that's the secret.

Bro, are you this shallow, that you assume anyone who's not Igbo must be Yoruba? Gosh! There are more than two languages in Nigeria! Try to look beyond tribal issues when debating. And please, read through my old posts, I have NEVER once made ANY tribalist post. It's just not my thing.

And just so you know, I may not be Igbo, neither were any of my parents, but my mom was closer to Igbo than a lot of true Igbo folk. She was pretty fluent in all aspects of the language and culture. So applying a tribal slant just because my view differs to your is plain daft.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by igbo2011(m): 1:55am On Nov 29, 2012
With proper investment, they can become a global brand. I am promoting this company on my site www.facebook.com/africanedp
www.africanedp.com

1 Like

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by ak47mann(m): 12:06pm On Nov 29, 2012
captalex:

Still not good enough, do you know the kind of stress/heat/speed tests mercedes/BMW/Toyota and other car brands put their vehicles through before they put them in the showrooms for you to buy?. If you don't value your life and think that the fact that SON uses the bus means that it's safe (crash wise),better think again. After all the bus could have been given to them for free.
how can the buses given to SON FOR FREE?DO U NO HW MUCH IT COST TO PRODUCE ONE BUS?OR UR JEALOUSY WONT LET YOU THINK AS USUAL....OTAPIAPIA IS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR TYPE..PEOPLE LIKE YOU IS THE REASON AFRICA IS BACKWARD...
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by phil01(m): 4:09am On Feb 01, 2013
do they hav postal address,or email? Pls if you kno any way of contacting them,drop it here,cos it's not on their website
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by anton(m): 9:59pm On Mar 16, 2013
This is beyond AWESOME!!!!
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by jasville(m): 10:26am On Aug 03, 2013
Siena:

Bro, are you this shallow, that you assume anyone who's not Igbo must be Yoruba? Gosh! There are more than two languages in Nigeria! Try to look beyond tribal issues when debating. And please, read through my old posts, I have NEVER once made ANY tribalist post. It's just not my thing.

And just so you know, I may not be Igbo, neither were any of my parents, but my mom was closer to Igbo than a lot of true Igbo folk. She was pretty fluent in all aspects of the language and culture. So applying a tribal slant just because my view differs to your is plain daft.

Why do poor people have this ill-
conduct of condemning what is, yet,
proffering nothing concrete to serve a
physical challenge to such. Young man,
have you any warehouse for storage?
Let-alone the one to spill automobil. Re-cast your net Bro!!!
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Nobody: 1:11pm On Aug 03, 2013
jasville:

Why do poor people have this ill-
conduct of condemning what is, yet,
proffering nothing concrete to serve a
physical challenge to such. Young man,
have you any warehouse for storage?
Let-alone the one to spill automobil. Re-cast your net Bro!!!

Think of a better way to argue convincingly. Rather than assume everyone who doesn't agree with you is poor, or young.

Assumption is the mother of all mess-ups.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by sultaan(m): 3:15pm On Aug 03, 2013
I do understand most don't understand what the difference btw manufacturing and assembly.
I don't live in naija, I know there is over 100 parts,can you name 3 local suppliers and parts they manufacture.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by naijanedu(m): 9:26pm On Aug 20, 2013
My brothers and sisters, Gov Obi,President Goodluck Jonathan and Chukwuma have done there best to establish Innoson let's now take it to another level..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukk42wLeVpI
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by Cyberknight: 8:26am On Aug 21, 2013
Baby steps, people, baby steps. Mr. Chukwuma may not be doing anything that's more technologically advanced than what Mr. Ford did back in the early 20th century with the Model T, but one trusts that the introduction of organised and automated assembly/tinkering or whatever-we-may-want-to-desrcibe-it-as will eventually go to the next level or inspire others to go to the next level. It's entirely possible that there's going to be a transfer of knowhow and technology in the process and we may indeed one day get a Nigerian-produced (whether manufactured or assembled) vehicle that matches industry standards and may lead to more people being able to afford new products, not the 2nd hand contrivances that fill our roads today.

As has been mentioned, the Japanese and South Korean offerings were once much derided, the same way the Chinese products (Geely, Great Wall and the rest) are being derided today. Yet the Japanese now have the world's largest manufacturer in the shape of Toyota, the South Koreans are getting more and more top marks for Kia and Hyundai, and the Indians and Chinese are buying up some of the West's best known brands (Volvo is now Chinese, and Land Rover and Jaguar are now Indian). So let's sit back, strap in and watch and see how this Naija ride will develop.
Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by MitchDLeo(m): 12:28pm On Aug 23, 2013
I dont care about all this tribal or ethnic issues in Naija but one thing I know for Sure is that INNOSON will go to the next level and its us the next Generation that will take it there. We have lots of engineers, designers, business Men here in Nigeria who wants to make Nigeria better than what it is today and Chief (Dr) Innocent Ifediaso Chukwuma is an Example, It doesnt matter if the vehicles is assembled or manufactured, as long as its done in Naija boosting our Economy thats the most Important Thing.

1 Like

Re: INNOSON MOTORS - World's First Black-owned Car Manufacturer by gtrust: 9:14pm On Sep 19, 2013
I need to buy Innosen SUV!

How do I go about that
I have been searching the web for price list of Innosen vehicles, can someone help

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Imagine If All Dangote Trucks Were Built Like This (Photos And Video) / Luxury Audi R8 Car Worth Over N40million Spotted At Lagos Airport. Photos / The Overloaded Vehicle Seized In Bauchi By FRSC Officials Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.