Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,814 members, 7,813,684 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' (8575 Views)

Why Do Africans Blame All Europeans For Colonialism And Slavery? / Milton Friedman On Slavery And Colonialism. A Must Watch For Africans / Was Colonialism Good For Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Nobody: 4:45am On Nov 26, 2012
There are some moments in life that keep coming back to you.

Years ago I boarded a flight from Bangalore, India to Bombay, now Mumbai.

The man sat next to me started chatting and then he said: "Thank goodness for colonialism."

I was stunned by his statement and I moved into combat mode to take him on.

But then I had second thoughts and sat back and listened.

"You see if it was not for colonialism and the British in this case, you, an African, and I, an Indian, would not have been able to communicate and have a good conversation."

What could I say?

More than 50 years since sub-Saharan Africa started down the road to independence and self governance, we have continued to conduct our affairs in the languages of the colonialists.

Business talks
Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

As a Commonwealth official I well remember the frisson that went round the room when it was first mentioned that President Paul Kagame wanted his country to join”

For a long time there appeared to be parity between French and English, with Portuguese of course spoken in territories that were ruled by Portugal.

Despite the gathering of many African leaders over the weekend in the Democratic Republic of Congo's capital, Kinshasa, for the Francophonie summit of French-speaking countries, there is no getting away from the reality that English has finally won the day and is now the international language.

It is a reality that the more nimble Francophone leaders have come to see as the way to boost the prospects of their countries in an increasingly global world, a world dominated by the mighty United States.

As I travel around Africa from Mozambique to Senegal, I have noticed the increasing use of English.

Rwanda's move to adopt English as an official language was initially seen as a result of many of the country's post-genocide leaders having returned home from Uganda where they had been educated in English, the main medium of education.

However, the country did not stop there.

As a Commonwealth official, I well remember the frisson that went round the room when it was first mentioned that President Paul Kagame wanted his country to join the Commonwealth, as well as being a member of Francophonie.

What would the French say, some asked?

Revelations about the Mau Mau crackdown show the dark side of colonialism
Yet Rwanda persisted and was not only seen as a bit of a darling for countries such as the United Kingdom, which has supported the government with financial assistance but the country has also formed strong relationships, particularly in business, through the Commonwealth.

In three of the five members of the East African community of which Rwanda is a member, business is mostly conducted in English.

Seeing the success of Rwanda has triggered interest in its neighbour Burundi, a French-speaking country which too has signalled its wish to join the Commonwealth.

I expect English will soon become a must language for all students.

Such is the power of the US and its economy that anyone who wants a piece of the action has to speak the language of the mighty dollar.

Africans wanting to become global players appear to be bowing to this dictum.

There is little that I admire about the colonial era, and the recent revelations in a British court about the tortures and horror colonial officers visited on some Kenyans in their fight against the Mau Mau, tell you a lot about the so-called civilised world.

Yet for all that, there is no getting away from the fact that we will continue using the languages of the colonialists but increasingly that language will be English.

I have come to agree with my travelling companion on that flight in India all those years ago.

After all in most cases, it is still one of the foreign languages that I have to use to speak to my sister or brother from another part of Africa.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19961671
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Nobody: 4:47am On Nov 26, 2012
The guy raised some interesting points, however, colonialism should never be celebrated...

What do you guys think?

2 Likes

Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Bennyboy11: 11:39am On Nov 26, 2012
To praise colonialism is like highlighting the positive side of rape. Most of the perceived "benefits" could have been achieved without colonialism

9 Likes

Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by LongOne1(m): 1:15pm On Nov 26, 2012
Well, cannot say I disagree with the Author.

At least India is classified as an emerging economy because of their development, what can we actually boast of post colonialism? We seem to have kept the language, but resisted the technology. India on the other hand kept and developed the technology.

I dare say we were given our freedom early, if we had to unite to fight for it, it would reduce the divisions that plague us today and make us better as a people. Particularly with a shared heritage showing how the various tribes contributed to independence.
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by ochukoccna: 2:21pm On Nov 26, 2012
How can you celebrate a phenomenon which plundered our resources, destroyed our humanity, entrenched tribalism [Nigerian civil war and the Rwandan genocide have their roots in this] and shattered our community structures? embarassed embarassed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Nobody: 3:50pm On Nov 26, 2012
Could Africa have achieved civilisation (or at least the semblance of it) and (under)development without the intervention of the European invaders - and eventual colonial masters? I seriously doubt it. We would probably still have a very tribal existence (of the sort we see on Discovery Channel) were it not for the 'exposure' the Europeans brought along with them.

If Africa has not been able to get it right in spite of globalisation and notwithstanding several modern paradigms of development to copy from in this day and age, then I am NOT convinced that we might have fared better without colonialism. We would simply have continued to grope in the dark.

8 Likes

Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Nobody: 9:10pm On Nov 26, 2012
It's sad when ppl think there was no cross continental interaction prior to European colonialism. It's so sad people actually think whites were the first to venture into Africa and that Africans only left Africa in slave ships and planes in the 20-21st centuries. tongue

4 Likes

Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Nobody: 9:11pm On Nov 26, 2012
pro01: Could Africa have achieved civilisation (or at least the semblance of it) and (under)development without the intervention of the European invaders - and eventual colonial masters? I seriously doubt it. We would probably still have a very tribal existence (of the sort we see on Discovery Channel) were it not for the 'exposure' the Europeans brought along with them.

If Africa has not been able to get it right in spite of globalisation and notwithstanding several modern paradigms of development to copy from in this day and age, then I am NOT convinced that we might have fared better without colonialism. We would simply have continued to grope in the dark.

who knows? again, I believe in enlightenment and I definitely think Europeans brought the "challenge normality/authority" concept into Africa however, we can't continue to define civilization according to THEIR standards.

In ancient Egypt (post outside invasions) it wasn't uncommon for servants of a pharoah to be buried alive with their deceased king...and as barbaric as the act may sound, should we discredit the achievements of the ancient Egyptian people? Was Egypt not a civilized empire?
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Nobody: 1:14am On Nov 27, 2012
pro01: Could Africa have achieved civilisation (or at least the semblance of it) and (under)development without the intervention of the European invaders - and eventual colonial masters? I seriously doubt it. We would probably still have a very tribal existence (of the sort we see on Discovery Channel) were it not for the 'exposure' the Europeans brought along with them.

[size=14pt]Young man, You do realise that Africa - north, west, east and south - had NUMEROUS HIGHLY POPULATED CITIES and COMMERCIAL/ACADEMIC CENTERS, including universities which attracted students from as far away as Syria, and governments which maintained ambassadors as far away as Europe prior to the western invasion?

You need to get your head out of National Geographic, visit Amazon.com, and buy some real African history books, and educate yourself.[/size]

4 Likes

Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Nobody: 1:56am On Nov 27, 2012
How about African countries taking their destines into their own hands, building large economies and influential, global media houses to disseminate their greatness?

Much better than having a history so obscure that we have to seek it out via little-known books at Amazon, don't you think?

ROSSIKE:

[size=14pt]Young man, You do realise that Africa - north, west, east and south - had NUMEROUS HIGHLY POPULATED CITIES and COMMERCIAL/ACADEMIC CENTERS, including universities which attracted students from as far away as Syria, and governments which maintained ambassadors as far away as Europe prior to the western invasion?

You need to get your head out of National Geographic, visit Amazon.com, and buy some real African history books, and educate yourself.[/size]

1 Like

Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Nobody: 5:37am On Nov 27, 2012
nnenna.1:
How about African countries taking their destines into their own hands

Last time I checked that's exactly what they were doing.

building large economies

Do you realise that 7 of the world's 10 fastest growing economies are in Africa?

and influential, global media houses to disseminate their greatness?

Are you not an African? What have you personally done to actualize those ideals??

Much better than having a history so obscure

Obscure only in your own head.

that we have to seek it out via little-known books at Amazon, don't you think?

If African history books are little known, who are you waiting for to 'know' them? You should educate yourself before thinking of others. And no, it's no excuse to be ignorant of your history because it's not aired on prime-time telly.
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Nobody: 5:46am On Nov 27, 2012
You see, you did not even get the gist of my post.

If Africans had the power to create media houses that enabled the masses (in the continent and out of it) to know its history by default, you would not need to defend its integrity every time by asking other posters to look up little known African history books on the net because they have no "knowledge." The fact that you do shows that we have zero talent in PR skills.

That the masses of youth have "no knowledge" is a testament to this. Don't shoot the messenger.

(By the way, "media" means much more than television channels)

ROSSIKE:

Last time I checked that's exactly what they were doing.

Do you realise that 7 of the world's 10 fastest growing economies are in Africa?

Are you not an African? What have you personally done to actualize those ideals??

Obscure only in your own head.

If African history books are little known, who are you waiting for to 'know' them? You should educate yourself before thinking of others.
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Nobody: 7:42am On Nov 27, 2012
shocked shocked shocked
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Nobody: 7:57am On Nov 27, 2012
ROSSIKE:

Preach my brother! Some Nigerians are invariably nescient and have no clue of African achievements prior to colonization. To the ignorant man you replied, go and read about the ancient Mali city of Timbuktu and one of the ancient prestigious universities, University of Sankoré. Africans in Mali Empire were performing eye cataract surgery long before the rest of the world. Young man, you need massive re-education.

2 Likes

Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by ayobase(m): 7:59am On Nov 27, 2012
shymexx: The guy raised some interesting points, however, colonialism should never be celebrated...

What do you guys think?

U just celebrated it shymexx.....its all about a coin.....never one sided!
Colonialism has/had its merits and demerits....and I can say that the merits have over-shadowed the demerits!
Its not to be celebrated, but still being celebrated....it brought about the global village!
Imagine the internet with languages/dialects!
Even CCTV does broadcast in English!
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by stalinism: 8:03am On Nov 27, 2012
Language imperialism.colonialism or not,Africans,Asians and indeed Latinos-the subjected cultures would have developed self interactive lingua which colonialism suffocated.
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:10am On Nov 27, 2012
you see, the colonists destroyed everything we had and made natons dependent for their needs. today even the education system we have is based on their model. everyone wants to go abroad and study in the big western universities? why? because they have made us dependent on them! they provide the jobs ,etc. without english, we cant study abroad. the entire system has been carefully crafted by them. to make us dependant. they have given us english and we are force to accept it to fulfill the needs of our nations. before colonialism, China was quite isolated, yet extremely prosperous with one of the highest gDP's in the world, Under the Manchu Empire. however after being colonized by britain for sometime, heir entire system was disrupted after the Opium wars. today China is dependant on other nations for many of its needs and for its sales. CHina is no more isolated.

the west destroyed our system and made us dependant on their english language. we should not be grateful to them for this. we should just accept this as a harsh reality.

1 Like

Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Horus(m): 8:14am On Nov 27, 2012
Africans were the civilizers of the world.
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by ayobase(m): 8:27am On Nov 27, 2012
Bennyboy11: To praise colonialism is like highlighting the positive side of rape. Most of the perceived "benefits" could have been achieved without colonialism

And the journey of 40 days might turn 40 years.
What has happened has happened. We do not need to cry over spilled milk...we should be grateful and appreciate those who gave up their lives....lets enjoy what they have sowed!
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by ayobase(m): 8:29am On Nov 27, 2012
ochukoccna: How can you celebrate a phenomenon which plundered our resources, destroyed our humanity, entrenched tribalism [Nigerian civil war and the Rwandan genocide have their roots in this] and shattered our community structures? embarassed embarassed

It did of course, but it has made us stronger!
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 27, 2012
A king will die in Africa and buried with life human. A woman who have twins is an abomination, the sickness they don't understand is evil and the person suffers in evil forest. When they're doing any festival mothers are afraid of loosing their love Children.
I believe with colonialism we were able to break loose slightly from these barbaric act passed from our ancestors.
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Nobody: 8:41am On Nov 27, 2012
ayobase:

It did of course, but it has made us stronger!

uhhh....in what way, exactly?

Prove that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. Ok go!
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by ikwerreguy1: 8:47am On Nov 27, 2012
my fellow nigerians...i left nigeria at the age of 2years and came to germany with my parents...i have been twice in nigeria trough out my life...let me tell u ppl somthing...white ppl hate anybody with black skin...they HATE US more than every other thing...i know it i can tell...but when i come to nigeria i see how my ppl admire them...and praise them...almost worshiping those oyibo...yes it is true whites have established a rich civilization...but it was built on african blood...so please colonialisim was the biggest crime in history
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Fishoy(f): 8:47am On Nov 27, 2012
ayobase:

Colonialism has/had its merits and demerits....and I can say that the merits have over-shadowed the demerits!
Its not to be celebrated, but still being celebrated....it brought about the global village!
actually disadvantages over shadowed d advantages......go nd read walter rodney on our europe under-develop africa.....den u'l no ur heritage
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Fishoy(f): 8:48am On Nov 27, 2012
ayobase:

actually disadvantages over shadowed d advantages......go nd read walter rodney on how europe under-develop africa.....den u'l no ur heritage
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Joshalpha(m): 8:50am On Nov 27, 2012
we cnt totally be negative abt colonial rule..infct, d benefits of colonial rule far outweigh its evils. The abolishment of evil practises, d semblance of development we have, dt is evn being destroyed, nt to mentn d ease of communicatn, it is infct numerous
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Joshalpha(m): 8:55am On Nov 27, 2012
Fishoy:
actually disadvantages over shadowed d advantages......go nd read walter rodney on how europe under-develop africa.....den u'l no ur heritage
we'll knw which heritage?? If in some places in africa, despite globalisation and world development, rituals are stl done, people stl go abt half naked, d worst form of occultism is stl being practised, imagine, how africa wudv bn widout colonialism..nt saying it was entirely good, bt then, d merits overshadow d d emerits
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Nobody: 8:57am On Nov 27, 2012
[size=14pt]I am happy that some people here clearly stated that we shouldnt celebrate colonialism. However, there are still some slaves that praise colonialism!

For those slaves who love colonialism, remember that the Europeans were packing slaves and plundering our resources for over 300 hundred years. The first school that Nigeria got was in the 19th century after 300 years of slavery (the Europeans came since the 16th century). Apparently, they thought that schools were too good at the time for slave monkeys

[/size]

[size=28pt]China and Japan were never colonized. We see the British and American paying huge amounts of money to learn the Asian languages as these two countries play a major role in the world.
[/size]

Food for thought

[/size]

4 Likes

Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by gidiMonsta(m): 9:11am On Nov 27, 2012
one_man: A king will die in Africa and buried with life human. A woman who have twins is an abomination, the sickness they don't understand is evil and the person suffers in evil forest. When they're doing any festival mothers are afraid of loosing their love Children.
I believe with colonialism we were able to break loose slightly from these barbaric act passed from our ancestors.

Do you know about the dark ages in Europe? Where people were burnt alive for having measles, where very beautiful women were labelled witches and were burnt at the stake? Where the Church forbade anything science and beheaded scientists?

Europe outgrew this phase not by colonialism but by the influx of knowledge from Egypt, the Arab world and China! Fibonacci learnt mathematics in Tunisia!! Colonialism did not help us, it destroyed us. We would have overcome the negatives in due course, colonialism truncated our development and entrenched an alien concept that is unsustainable for us.

9 Likes

Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by Nobody: 9:15am On Nov 27, 2012
gidiMonsta:

Do you know about the dark ages in Europe? Where people were burnt alive for having measles, where very beautiful women were labelled witches and were burnt at the stake? Where the Church forbade anything science and beheaded scientists?

Europe outgrew this phase not by colonialism but by the influx of knowledge from Egypt, the Arab world and China! Fibonacci learnt mathematics in Tunisia!! Colonialism did not help us, it destroyed us. We would have overcome the negatives in due course, colonialism truncated our development and entrenched an alien concept that is unsustainable for us.

Gbam....end of story!
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by salafiyy: 9:16am On Nov 27, 2012
THIS MAN DOSN'T KNOW ANYTHING...SOMEBODY SOME WHERE TRYING TO IMPOSE HIS CULTURE ON US FORCEFULLY SEEING OURS AS...SINCE HE WORKS FOR'EM HE SHOULD PRAISE'EM...ILLUMINATI FORERUNNER TRYING TO INDOCTINATE...
Re: African viewpoint: 'Thank goodness for colonialism' by NEROSKY(m): 9:29am On Nov 27, 2012
I don't have time for this!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Imo Civil Servants Strike Over Govt's Insensitivity To Their Welfare / Why I Married Lara Fortes-oshiomhole Reveals / We’ve Dismantled Pdp’s Rigging Machine -onu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.