Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,286 members, 7,850,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:54 PM

The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) - Religion (141) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) (843845 Views)

The Satanic Chatbox. Everybody Is Welcome / The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / Christian's Chatbox Game/Party Night - May 4th@ 10pm Gmt -ALL CHRISTIANS INVITED (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) ... (788) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by UjSizzle(f): 3:07pm On Aug 15, 2013
Thank you smiley
Please we need more contributions to this chapter. Whatever is laid in your heart, just share smiley

Gracie, when do we move to chapter 2?
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Dygeasy(m): 6:17pm On Aug 15, 2013
I'm A Close Follower Of Happenings Here And Y'all Have Been Doing Wonderful And Glorious Things Here. Kudos Y'all. I'm Gonna Contribute Pretty Soon. Pardon My Silence.

I Need Your Prayers People For The Next Couple Of Days. I Just Wanna Stay Happy. Receive Favour And Mercy From Above. Things Should Work In My Favour. That's All I Need. Assist Me Please.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 15, 2013
Hmhmm.... Seen this before thread and been by passing it. Decided to take a peep today. And i love what i see.
Great work here.
Am i welcome¿
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 15, 2013
idnoble135: Hmhmm.... Seen this before thread and been by passing it. Decided to take a peep today. And i love what i see.
Great work here.
Am i welcome¿
Ofcourse you are and we are blessed to have you around.

@all, good evening. Its been a while now, hope y'all had a flourishing day?
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 15, 2013
Dygeasy: I'm A Close Follower Of Happenings Here And Y'all Have Been Doing Wonderful And Glorious Things Here. Kudos Y'all. I'm Gonna Contribute Pretty Soon. Pardon My Silence.

I Need Your Prayers People For The Next Couple Of Days. I Just Wanna Stay Happy. Receive Favour And Mercy From Above. Things Should Work In My Favour. That's All I Need. Assist Me Please.
The Lord shall perfect that which concerns you. He shall establish you and enlarge your coast and grant all your heart desires IJN.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 7:54pm On Aug 15, 2013
Double post
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 8:54pm On Aug 15, 2013
uj_sizzle: Thank you smiley
Please we need more contributions to this chapter. Whatever is laid in your heart, just share smiley

Gracie, when do we move to chapter 2?
this is the best expirience ever, like we are @ church lol.

Maybe we should let it run its course for a week?

@Bola, May everything work in favour for you dear and a warm welcome to the new ones.
Good night everyone.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 15, 2013
Omo Daddy354:
Ofcourse you are and we are blessed to have you around.

@all, good evening. Its been a while now, hope y'all had a flourishing day?
Thanks cheesy
I'd be around to watch how things are done here..
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 15, 2013
John 1:51

And he said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you,[a
] you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.”

Uj covered a considerable part of the message in this chapter. I thought to highlight this verse for what it's worth.

The language of Jesus's speech suggests that He was referencing something else. Oh, excuse me, I was automatically beginning to sound scholarly and all. Put simply, anyone who knows of Jacob's dream of the ladder between Heaven and Earth which angels were climbing up and down on (Genesis 28:12) would automatically recall it once they see John 1:51. That dream was speaking of what the Death and Resurrection of our Lord fulfilled.

To begin with, I think it is necessary to point out that Heaven and Earth are actually essentially one. The fall of Man ruptured that wholeness and unleashed chaos and want upon all of material creation. The advent of our Lord was to heal this rift. In the language of our brother Paul, it was to reconcile all things to Himself, both things in Heaven and things on earth (2 Corinthians 5:18, 19 and Hebrews 9).

We are now in the days of which Jesus spoke. The link between Heaven and Earth has been reestablished, but our Lord did one better. He is fusing Heaven and Earth into one solid entity. Today, angels share in fellowship with us as we worship the Lord God. Soon, there will be no difference between them and us. They will not have to go and come, we will be together worshipping the Lord with every single thing that we do. That is the day of which John spoke later in symbols in Revelation: there will be no temple because the Lord God and the Lamb will be right there in the midst of the people. There will not be need for any other ceremony because we will have been brought into such close communion with God that worship is natural to us and inseparable from our day-to-day involvements.

However, what does this verse have for us today, in the present, in this moment in which we live? Jesus said that the day would come when He would be the link between Heaven and Earth. Well, that day is today. But He is not here...or is He? Scriptures say that He is...in us. Remove the Christian today and there is no link between Heaven and Earth. It may have been in derision that our first brothers were called Christians but the name is apt. We are Christ here on earth, we are tasked with His Mission and empowered with His Authority. No one need go into the Heavens to get Jesus to do anything. They need only look to us.

I realize just how scary that is when its full meaning hits us. We are actually saying that unless the Christian mans up and takes up the Ministry of Christ, this world is royally screwed. Who wants to fill such gigantic shoes? No one wants to be Judge when it is possible that they can also fall to accusation, but then that is exactly the job we have been given to do - the job of reconciliation, of calling men back to God, of showing them a better way (which simply means we declare that their own way is not good enough which in its turn exposes us to all kinds of scrutiny). It's by no means an easy or a very desirable job in this age of weakness. But it is the Christian's job at least as much today as ever, if not more.

We are the ladder of God linking Heaven and Earth. It falls to us to keep the integration going. It falls to us to maintain an open road for God into His World. And there is no way to fulfill this task other than to give our whole selves to the ways of Christ. We must learn Who Christ is and how He deals with things in order to represent Him correctly. We must learn His Way so that we can walk in it.

How do you do your business? Operate as a student? Serve in your workplace? Deal as a politician and member of society? Are you bringing the Will of God to bear upon your environment as it is being brought to bear in Heaven? Or are you sitting on your butt waiting for somebody else, maybe God Himself, to do it? There are lives everyday hungry and crying out for just a little of the Love of God. Preaching to them is not the only thing that they need. In fact, talking religion may not be the wisest thing in many of today's situations. How about taking the responsibility to produce jobs in the Nigerian economy?

How about taking responsibility to learn the inner workings of politics in Nigeria in order to provide more reliable political advice that can result in positive change? How about taking responsibility to learn your trade or profession so well and gain such mastery in it that you can help to reshape it to fit Christ? How about taking responsibility for poor, downtrodden and "deported" regardless their ethnicity and philosophical persuasions? How about taking responsibility to engage in debates to bring Christ through to dark hungry hearts?

How about choosing to be patient and build slowly the dreams that God has committed to you for the benefit of the world around you rather than running off to try and make it and catch up with your "mates"? How about choosing to take time to learn everything about that thing you wish to get into so that you can mold it into the Image of Christ?

There actually is no other way God has planned to redeem Earth. Contrary to the popular and favorite myths that God will one day come and instantaneously change everything, He is actually changing it all today...through every Christian willing to partner with Him no matter the cost. There is a Day of Crisis, the Judgment Day, of that you may be absolutely sure. But that Day is not the Day God makes a new world, it is the Day He declares it and purges it of every contamination of the Old. Today, my beloved siblings, this very day, our Father is already making all things new. Put your hand in His and work with Him.

Do not let the fact that you are weak and susceptible to failure deter you. We must never sin, but if we do, there is a strong Voice that speaks for us and He is never denied at the Throne of God. Rather than hide because of your weakness, exult in it, give the Most High thanks for it because there is no better way to show His Power to the children of this world than that He can use a "normally" promiscuous person to save those caught in sexxual sin while keeping such a person free from the same failure. If you are weak, I know that it hurts and scares and embarasses you, give it to God no less. Learn from Him how to live above your weakness and serve Christ in spite and because of it. That is why He lets you continue to have it. His Grace is sufficient, enough for you and His strength is made perfect in weakness.

Worship the Lord with all that you are and have today right where you are. Live in the reality of this life in the Light of Christ and you will be building with God a new world, a world free of corruption and all the sorrow that it brings. Plus you yourself will be changed, a new you free of weakness and moral failure will emerge at the end.

The Grace of our Lord Jesus, the Love of God and the Fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with all God's Children.

3 Likes

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Dygeasy(m): 9:55pm On Aug 15, 2013
Omo Daddy354:
The Lord shall perfect that which concerns you. He shall establish you and enlarge your coast and grant all your heart desires IJN.
Amen Amen Amen!!! Thanks Sweet.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:26pm On Aug 15, 2013
If it were not for God's grace, His holiness would exclude us from His presence.

Thank you brother Ihedinobi for that light.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by meggy4real: 12:16am On Aug 16, 2013
Rhapsody Of Realities Daily Devotional.
Theme: He Speaks Through The Word!
Date: Thursday, August 15th.
Pastor Anita Oyakhilome.

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
John 16:13

If you’re born again, the Spirit of God lives in you, and He guides you by the Word, in the way that you should go. The Word of God is the voice of God, and that’s your surest-guide in life. Getting yourself acquainted with the Word is the way to know the counsel of the Spirit. Jesus said in John 10:27, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.”

In John 14:16 (AMP), He made another emphatic statement about the ministry of the Holy Spirit in leading and guiding you in life: “And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, and Standby), that He may remain with you forever.” The Holy Spirit lives in you and with you; He counsels you from within, in line with God’s Word. No other personality in this life can lead you into success, victory and rest as the Holy Spirit would. He’ll guide you to make accurate decisions, go to the right places at the right time, and do the right things the first time, for God’s glory.

Recognize the person and ministry of the Holy Spirit in your life. Don’t just talk to Him; learn to listen to Him as well; He’s always talking to your spirit. Through the Word, He guides and leads you from glory to glory. He cares about everything you do; He takes interest even in the minutest detail about your life. It’s His pleasure to successfully guide you through all your endeavours from day to day.

Many have made grievous mistakes in their lives for not listening to the voice of the Holy Spirit. It’s not hard at all to follow His leading, because His counsel and guidance are always in sync with the Word. Your life will be the expression of God’s glory, beauty, wisdom, and grace as you yield to Him by following His Word.

PRAYER
Dear Father, I thank you for your glory in my life. Thank you for beautifying me with your grace and filling me with your wisdom; I function excellently today, through the power of the Holy Spirit who lives in me and guides me from within, piloting me from glory to glory, in Jesus’ Name. Amen.

FURTHER STUDY
1 John 2:27
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

John 16:13-15
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

DAILY SCRIPTURE READING
1 Year Bible Reading Plan

Romans 16:1-27
Psalms 102-103

2 Year Bible Reading Plan

Luke 16:13-18
Ruth 3-4

1 Like

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by meggy4real: 12:16am On Aug 16, 2013
Hear Ye Him…" · Tuesday, August 20th ·
Pastor Chris

…While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him (Matthew 17:1-5).

When God said concerning Jesus, "...this is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him...," He was talking to all of creation! All of nature—animate and inanimate—has been commanded to be subject to Jesus. The rocks, wind, trees, water, fish, angels, demons, etc—everything in heaven, on earth, and under the earth, have been commanded by God to hear and obey Jesus. Philippians 2:9-10 says, "Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth."

No wonder everything Jesus said came to pass; He had absolute mastery and exercised dominion over all things. He talked to a tree and it withered (Mark 11:12-22); He spoke to a raging tempest and it hushed (Mark 4:35-39); He talked to bread and fish and multiplied them to feed the multitude (Matthew 14:17-21, Matthew 15:32-38); He talked to corpses and they came back to life (Luke 7:11-15, John 11:32- 44)! At His word, maimed limbs were restored, blind eyes opened, deaf ears were unstopped, and demons scampered in terror (Matthew 15:30)!

There were demonstrations of the miraculous each time Jesus spoke; all creation stood to order, and gave heed to His spoken word, acting accordingly. Now, about us, John writes, "…as He (Jesus) is, so are we in this world" (1 John 4:17). The Lord Jesus gave us the authority to act in His stead; we have the power of attorney to use His Name. Therefore, when you speak, all of creation stands at attention to obey. You have the authority to speak to anything in His Name and effect whatever positive changes you desire.

Confession

Dear Father, I thank you for giving me the power of attorney to use the Name of Jesus, and utter words of power as a king and effect the desired changes in my job, finances, family and health. I speak life to everything that concerns me today, in Jesus’ Name. Amen.

f u r t h e r s t u d y: Romans 8:19; Matthew 12:36-37

Daily Scripture Reading

1 Year Reading Plan : 1 Corinthians 5, Psalms 117-118

2 Year Reading Plan : Luke 17:31-37, 1 Samuel 5-6
NEWS ALERT
(1) Presidency: Jonathan did not sign single term deal
(2) Strike: Again ASUU,FG refuse to shift ground
(3) B/Haram Shekau may have died of gunshot wound
(4) Navy recover hijacked oil vessels in Delta
(5) Ezekwesili: N1trn spent on N" Assembly members in 8yrs Rhapsody Of Realities Daily Devotional.
Theme: He Speaks Through The Word!
Date: Thursday, August 15th.
Pastor Anita Oyakhilome.

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
John 16:13

If you’re born again, the Spirit of God lives in you, and He guides you by the Word, in the way that you should go. The Word of God is the voice of God, and that’s your surest-guide in life. Getting yourself acquainted with the Word is the way to know the counsel of the Spirit. Jesus said in John 10:27, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.”

In John 14:16 (AMP), He made another emphatic statement about the ministry of the Holy Spirit in leading and guiding you in life: “And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Comforter (Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener, and Standby), that He may remain with you forever.” The Holy Spirit lives in you and with you; He counsels you from within, in line with God’s Word. No other personality in this life can lead you into success, victory and rest as the Holy Spirit would. He’ll guide you to make accurate decisions, go to the right places at the right time, and do the right things the first time, for God’s glory.

Recognize the person and ministry of the Holy Spirit in your life. Don’t just talk to Him; learn to listen to Him as well; He’s always talking to your spirit. Through the Word, He guides and leads you from glory to glory. He cares about everything you do; He takes interest even in the minutest detail about your life. It’s His pleasure to successfully guide you through all your endeavours from day to day.

Many have made grievous mistakes in their lives for not listening to the voice of the Holy Spirit. It’s not hard at all to follow His leading, because His counsel and guidance are always in sync with the Word. Your life will be the expression of God’s glory, beauty, wisdom, and grace as you yield to Him by following His Word.

PRAYER
Dear Father, I thank you for your glory in my life. Thank you for beautifying me with your grace and filling me with your wisdom; I function excellently today, through the power of the Holy Spirit who lives in me and guides me from within, piloting me from glory to glory, in Jesus’ Name. Amen.

FURTHER STUDY
1 John 2:27
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

John 16:13-15
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

DAILY SCRIPTURE READING
1 Year Bible Reading Plan

Romans 16:1-27
Psalms 102-103

2 Year Bible Reading Plan

Luke 16:13-18
Ruth 3-4
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by UjSizzle(f): 6:05am On Aug 16, 2013
Hubby kiss Thank you for sharing.

Welcome Idnoble smiley

Dygeasy....it's well. You're remembered in our prayers.

1 Like

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 6:31am On Aug 16, 2013
uj_sizzle: Hubby kiss Thank you for sharing.
kiss

HumbledbYGrace: Thank you brother Ihedinobi for that light.
smiley
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by UjSizzle(f): 8:18am On Aug 16, 2013
OPEN HEAVEN
TOPIC: DO SOMETHING TO BE SOMETHING
MEMORISE: Proverbs 27:18
READ: 2Kings 2:1-8
BIBLE IN 1YR: 2Kings 15-17

Do u know that u can go thru this world without ur impact being felt? Surprisingly,this is the experience of most people all thru their lives;they live without being noticed. If u look at the scriptures,u will find quite some names which were mentioned once/twice in the Bible which never amounted to anything in God's Kingdom. MAY THAT NOT BE UR PORTION! During state functions,while special attention is given to important dignitaries such as governors,ambassadors,ministers etc,every other person will be classified & received in the common place. For such people,it really doesn't matter to the organisers of the function whether they are entertained/not. The reason why some people will never become God's favourite is that when they have the potential,they refuse to develop it. In 2Kings 2:1-15,it was common knowledge that Elijah,the nation's prophet & spiritual head was about to be taken to Heaven. All the sons of the prophets in the prophetic school knew of this,yet they refused to fly. Only Elisha acted on that information & he became a divine eagle. Before that transition,many sons of the prophets looked down on Elisha. They saw him as no more than a servant that he was. Even on the day of Elijah's transition,when they saw Elisha,they flaunted the spiritual information at their disposal: 'Hi messenger,do u know that u are about to be separated 4rm ur master today?' It is not impossible that some of them really desired to take over 4rm Elijah but they did nothing about it. At the end,after a receipt of the double portion of the Spirit upon Elijah,they bowed to Elisha having seen the evidence that he was now carrying twice of what his master once carried. DOING NOTHING SIMPLY TAKES U NOWHERE.

KEY POINT: What separates achievers 4rm non-achievers is the price they are prepared to pay.

2 Likes

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by superior1: 9:31am On Aug 16, 2013
Decided to take a peep, love what I saw. Kudos.

Woke up with this piece from Chris Dyvan playing in my heart.

I will sing of the mercies of the Lord, with my heart shall I make it known from the rising of the sun, right on to it is going down (?), I will sing of the mercies of the Lord.

1 Like

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:00am On Aug 16, 2013
superior1: Decided to take a peep, love what I saw. Kudos.

Woke up with this piece from Chris Dyvan playing in my heart.

I will sing of the mercies of the Lord, with my heart shall I make it known from the rising of the sun, right on to it is going down (?), I will sing of the mercies of the Lord.
Helos...

Good morning and welcome.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 11:25am On Aug 16, 2013
How are things run here... Anybody care to explain?
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by ARareGem(f): 8:11pm On Aug 16, 2013
^Good evening. We do things quite casually. We interact like brothers and sisters. We share, we study, we pray, we even laugh and cry together. Just feel free to do as the Spirit leads. smiley

How's everyone doing? BTW, what insect(s) would you have liked Noah to throw down the Ark? angry

1 Like

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 8:20pm On Aug 16, 2013
^
Gracious evening to you. cheesy
Hope your day was fine?
I think i get your explanation.
Insect? Thrown down? Erm... I did not get that
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by ARareGem(f): 8:41pm On Aug 16, 2013
You know God commanded Noah to take the male and female specie of every animal into the Ark. smiley He must have taken those darned mosquitoes! angry
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by ARareGem(f): 8:44pm On Aug 16, 2013
And my day was okay. smiley
Kitay, say something. smiley
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by yetseyi(f): 10:56am On Aug 17, 2013
hmm, nice seeing new faces sule,idnoble, superior welcom
house d past 2 weeks has been challenging 4 me, failed d very last stage of an interview last week very painful but God has beta plans for me.
@hbg,uj,Ihedinobi,damex,dagr8,anoni missed u all
also incase u've 4goten 2moro aug 18th is my bday so my gifts nd calls nd mssges can roll in
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by UjSizzle(f): 11:27am On Aug 17, 2013
ARareGem: ^Good evening. We do things quite casually. We interact like brothers and sisters. We share, we study, we pray, we even laugh and cry together. Just feel free to do as the Spirit leads. smiley

How's everyone doing? BTW, what insect(s) would you have liked Noah to throw down the Ark? angry
cockroaches sad
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 12:20pm On Aug 17, 2013
yetseyi: hmm, nice seeing new faces sule,idnoble, superior welcom
house d past 2 weeks has been challenging 4 me, failed d very last stage of an interview last week very painful but God has beta plans for me.
also incase u've 4goten 2moro aug 18th is my bday so my gifts nd calls nd mssges can roll in
M so sorry love, well he has something better for you. smiley

Pm me your number grin will call you.

Afternoon house....do have a great weekend.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 17, 2013
yetseyi: hmm, nice seeing new faces sule,idnoble, superior welcom

Hey! smiley Good to see you too. Your birthday is noted.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Kitay(f): 6:45pm On Aug 17, 2013
John 1:43-51
[color=#990000][/color]
On the next day Jesus wanted to set out for Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, "Follow me." (Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the town of Andrew and Peter.) Philip found Nathanael and told him, "We have found the one Moses wrote about in the law, and the prophets also wrote about--Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph." Nathanael replied, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip replied, "Come and see."

Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him and exclaimed, "Look, a true Israelite in whom there is no deceit!" Nathanael asked him, "How do you know me?" Jesus replied, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you." Nathanael answered him, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the king of Israel!" Jesus said to him, "Because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree, do you believe? You will see greater things than these." He continued, "I tell all of you the solemn truth--you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."

Let us observe, as we read these verses, how various are the paths by which souls are led into the narrow way of life.

We are told of a man, named Philip, being added to the little company of Christ's disciples. He does not appear to have been moved, like Andrew and his companions, by the testimony of John the Baptist. He was not drawn, like Simon Peter, by the out-spoken declaration of a brother. He seems to have been called directly by Christ Himself, and the agency of man seems not to have been used in his calling. Yet in faith and life he became one with those who were disciples before him. Though led by different paths, they all entered the same road, embraced the same truths, served the same Master, and at length reached the same home.

The fact before us is a deeply important one. It throws light on the history of all God's people in every age, and of every tongue. There are diversities of operations in the saving of souls. All true Christians are led by one Spirit, washed in one blood, serve one Lord, lean on one Savior, believe one truth, and walk by one general rule. But all are not converted in one and the same manner. All do not pass through the same experience. In conversion, the Holy Spirit acts as a sovereign. He calls every one severally as He will.

A careful recollection of this point may save us much trouble. We must beware of making the experience of other believers the measure of our own. We must beware of denying another's grace, because he has not been led by the same way as ourselves. Has a man got the real grace of God? This is the only question that concerns us. Is he a penitent man? Is he a believer? Does he live a holy life?. Provided these inquiries can be answered satisfactorily, we may well be content. It matters nothing by what path a man has been led, if he has only been led at last into the right way.

Let us observe, secondly, in these verses, how much of Christ there is in the Old Testament Scriptures. We read that when Philip described Christ to Nathanael, he says, "We have found Him of whom Moses in the law and the prophets did write."

Christ is the sum and substance of the Old Testament. To Him the earliest promises pointed in the days of Adam, and Enoch, and Noah, and Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob. To Him every sacrifice pointed in the ceremonial worship appointed at Mount Sinai. Of Him every high priest was a type, and every part of the tabernacle was a shadow, and every judge and deliverer of Israel was a figure. He was the prophet like unto Moses, whom the Lord God promised to send, and the King of the house of David, who came to be David's Lord as well as son. He was the Son of the virgin, and the Lamb, foretold by Isaiah--the righteous Branch mentioned by Jeremiah--the true Shepherd, foreseen by Ezekiel--the Messenger of the Covenant, promised by Malachi--and the Messiah, who, according to Daniel, was to be cut off, though not for Himself. The further we read in the volume of the Old Testament, the clearer do we find the testimony about Christ. The light which the inspired writers enjoyed in ancient days was, at best, but dim, compared to that of the Gospel. But the coming Person they all saw afar off, and on whom they all fixed their eyes, was one and the same. The Spirit, which was in them, testified of Christ. (1 Pet. 1:11.)

Do we stumble at this saying? Do we find it hard to see Christ in the Old Testament, because we do not see His name? Let us be sure that the fault is all our own. It is our spiritual vision which is to blame, and not the book. The eyes of our understanding need to be enlightened. The veil has yet to be taken away. Let us pray for a more humble, childlike, and teachable spirit, and let us take up "Moses and the prophets" again. Christ is there, though our eyes may not yet have seen Him. May we never rest until we can subscribe to our Lord's words about the Old Testament Scriptures, "They are they which testify of me." (John 5:39.)

1 Like

Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Kitay(f): 6:49pm On Aug 17, 2013
Let us observe, thirdly, in these verses, the good advice which Philip gave to Nathanael. The mind of Nathanael was full of doubts about the Savior, of whom Philip told Him. "Can there any good thing," he said, "come out of Nazareth?" And what did Philip reply? He said, "Come and see."

Wiser counsel than this it would be impossible to conceive! If Philip had reproved Nathanael's unbelief, he might have driven him back for many a day, and given offence. If he had reasoned with him, he might have failed to convince him, or might have confirmed him in his doubts. But by inviting him to prove the matter for himself, he showed his entire confidence in the truth of his own assertion, and his willingness to have it tested and proved. And the result shows the wisdom of Philip's words. Nathanael owed his early acquaintance with Christ to that frank invitation, "Come and see."

If we call ourselves true Christians, let us never be afraid to deal with people about their souls as Philip dealt with Nathanael. Let us invite them boldly to make proof of our religion. Let us tell them confidently that they cannot know its real value until they have tried it. Let us assure them that vital Christianity courts every possible inquiry. It has no secrets. It has nothing to conceal. Its faith and practice are spoken against, just because they are not known. Its enemies speak evil of things with which they are not acquainted. They understand neither what they say nor whereof they affirm. Philip's mode of dealing, we may be sure, is one principal way to do good. Few are ever moved by reasoning and argument. Still fewer are frightened into repentance. The man who does most good to souls, is often the simple believer who says to his friends, "I have found a Savior; come and see Him."

Let us observe, lastly, in these verses, the high character which Jesus gives of Nathanael. He calls him "an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile."

Nathanael, there can be no doubt, was a true child of God, and a child of God in difficult times. He was one of a very little flock. Like Simeon and Anna, and other pious Jews, he was living by faith and waiting prayerfully for the promised Redeemer, when our Lord's ministry began. He had that which grace alone can give, an honest heart, a heart without guile. His knowledge was probably small. His spiritual eyesight was dim. But he was one who had lived carefully up to his light. He had diligently used such knowledge as he possessed. His eye had been single, though his vision had not been strong. His spiritual judgment had been honest, though it had not been powerful. What he saw in Scripture, he had held firmly, in spite of Pharisees and Sadducees, and all the fashionable religion of the day. He was an honest Old Testament believer, who had stood alone. And here was the secret of our Lord peculiar commendation! He declared Nathanael to be a true son of Abraham--a Jew inwardly, possessing circumcision in the spirit as well as in the letter--an Israelite in heart, as well as a son of Jacob in the flesh.

Let us pray that we may be of the same spirit as Nathanael. An honest, unprejudiced mind--a child-like willingness to follow the truth, wherever the truth may lead us--a simple, hearty desire to be guided, taught, and led by the Spirit--a thorough determination to use every spark of light which we have--are a possession of priceless value. A man of this spirit may live in the midst of much darkness, and be surrounded by every possible disadvantage to his soul. But the Lord Jesus will take care that such a man does not miss the way to heaven. "The meek will he guide in judgment--and the meek will he teach his way." (Psalm 25:9.)
[/i]
On the next day Jesus wanted to set out for Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, "Follow me." (Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the town of Andrew and Peter.) Philip found Nathanael and told him, "We have found the one Moses wrote about in the law, and the prophets also wrote about--Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph." Nathanael replied, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip replied, "Come and see."

Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him and exclaimed, "Look, a true Israelite in whom there is no deceit!" Nathanael asked him, "How do you know me?" Jesus replied, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you." Nathanael answered him, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the king of Israel!" Jesus said to him, "Because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree, do you believe? You will see greater things than these." He continued, "I tell all of you the solemn truth--you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."

Let us observe, as we read these verses, how various are the paths by which souls are led into the narrow way of life.

We are told of a man, named Philip, being added to the little company of Christ's disciples. He does not appear to have been moved, like Andrew and his companions, by the testimony of John the Baptist. He was not drawn, like Simon Peter, by the out-spoken declaration of a brother. He seems to have been called directly by Christ Himself, and the agency of man seems not to have been used in his calling. Yet in faith and life he became one with those who were disciples before him. Though led by different paths, they all entered the same road, embraced the same truths, served the same Master, and at length reached the same home.

The fact before us is a deeply important one. It throws light on the history of all God's people in every age, and of every tongue. There are diversities of operations in the saving of souls. All true Christians are led by one Spirit, washed in one blood, serve one Lord, lean on one Savior, believe one truth, and walk by one general rule. But all are not converted in one and the same manner. All do not pass through the same experience. In conversion, the Holy Spirit acts as a sovereign. He calls every one severally as He will.

A careful recollection of this point may save us much trouble. We must beware of making the experience of other believers the measure of our own. We must beware of denying another's grace, because he has not been led by the same way as ourselves. Has a man got the real grace of God? This is the only question that concerns us. Is he a penitent man? Is he a believer? Does he live a holy life?. Provided these inquiries can be answered satisfactorily, we may well be content. It matters nothing by what path a man has been led, if he has only been led at last into the right way.

Let us observe, secondly, in these verses, how much of Christ there is in the Old Testament Scriptures. We read that when Philip described Christ to Nathanael, he says, "We have found Him of whom Moses in the law and the prophets did write."

Christ is the sum and substance of the Old Testament. To Him the earliest promises pointed in the days of Adam, and Enoch, and Noah, and Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob. To Him every sacrifice pointed in the ceremonial worship appointed at Mount Sinai. Of Him every high priest was a type, and every part of the tabernacle was a shadow, and every judge and deliverer of Israel was a figure. He was the prophet like unto Moses, whom the Lord God promised to send, and the King of the house of David, who came to be David's Lord as well as son. He was the Son of the virgin, and the Lamb, foretold by Isaiah--the righteous Branch mentioned by Jeremiah--the true Shepherd, foreseen by Ezekiel--the Messenger of the Covenant, promised by Malachi--and the Messiah, who, according to Daniel, was to be cut off, though not for Himself. The further we read in the volume of the Old Testament, the clearer do we find the testimony about Christ. The light which the inspired writers enjoyed in ancient days was, at best, but dim, compared to that of the Gospel. But the coming Person they all saw afar off, and on whom they all fixed their eyes, was one and the same. The Spirit, which was in them, testified of Christ. (1 Pet. 1:11.)

Do we stumble at this saying? Do we find it hard to see Christ in the Old Testament, because we do not see His name? Let us be sure that the fault is all our own. It is our spiritual vision which is to blame, and not the book. The eyes of our understanding need to be enlightened. The veil has yet to be taken away. Let us pray for a more humble, childlike, and teachable spirit, and let us take up "Moses and the prophets" again. Christ is there, though our eyes may not yet have seen Him. May we never rest until we can subscribe to our Lord's words about the Old Testament Scriptures, "They are they which testify of me." (John 5:39.)

Let us observe, thirdly, in these verses, the good advice which Philip gave to Nathanael. The mind of Nathanael was full of doubts about the Savior, of whom Philip told Him. "Can there any good thing," he said, "come out of Nazareth?" And what did Philip reply? He said, "Come and see."

Wiser counsel than this it would be impossible to conceive! If Philip had reproved Nathanael's unbelief, he might have driven him back for many a day, and given offence. If he had reasoned with him, he might have failed to convince him, or might have confirmed him in his doubts. But by inviting him to prove the matter for himself, he showed his entire confidence in the truth of his own assertion, and his willingness to have it tested and proved. And the result shows the wisdom of Philip's words. Nathanael owed his early acquaintance with Christ to that frank invitation, "Come and see."

If we call ourselves true Christians, let us never be afraid to deal with people about their souls as Philip dealt with Nathanael. Let us invite them boldly to make proof of our religion. Let us tell them confidently that they cannot know its real value until they have tried it. Let us assure them that vital Christianity courts every possible inquiry. It has no secrets. It has nothing to conceal. Its faith and practice are spoken against, just because they are not known. Its enemies speak evil of things with which they are not acquainted. They understand neither what they say nor whereof they affirm. Philip's mode of dealing, we may be sure, is one principal way to do good. Few are ever moved by reasoning and argument. Still fewer are frightened into repentance. The man who does most good to souls, is often the simple believer who says to his friends, "I have found a Savior; come and see Him."

Let us observe, lastly, in these verses, the high character which Jesus gives of Nathanael. He calls him "an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile."

Nathanael, there can be no doubt, was a true child of God, and a child of God in difficult times. He was one of a very little flock. Like Simeon and Anna, and other pious Jews, he was living by faith and waiting prayerfully for the promised Redeemer, when our Lord's ministry began. He had that which grace alone can give, an honest heart, a heart without guile. His knowledge was probably small. His spiritual eyesight was dim. But he was one who had lived carefully up to his light. He had diligently used such knowledge as he possessed. His eye had been single, though his vision had not been strong. His spiritual judgment had been honest, though it had not been powerful. What he saw in Scripture, he had held firmly, in spite of Pharisees and Sadducees, and all the fashionable religion of the day. He was an honest Old Testament believer, who had stood alone. And here was the secret of our Lord peculiar commendation! He declared Nathanael to be a true son of Abraham--a Jew inwardly, possessing circumcision in the spirit as well as in the letter--an Israelite in heart, as well as a son of Jacob in the flesh.

Let us pray that we may be of the same spirit as Nathanael. An honest, unprejudiced mind--a child-like willingness to follow the truth, wherever the truth may lead us--a simple, hearty desire to be guided, taught, and led by the Spirit--a thorough determination to use every spark of light which we have--are a possession of priceless value. A man of this spirit may live in the midst of much darkness, and be surrounded by every possible disadvantage to his soul. But the Lord Jesus will take care that such a man does not miss the way to heaven. "The meek will he guide in judgment--and the meek will he teach his way." (Psalm 25:9.)
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 7:09pm On Aug 17, 2013
Hi Kitay, thanks for the above.
Hum... Am new here. How are the contributions made? Is it one per day? Does it have to be that bulky as i have observed? Can it be listed in points?
Need some guidelines.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by HumbledbYGrace(f): 7:42pm On Aug 17, 2013
Kitay thanks for this....awesome.

@ idnoble, anyway the spirit leads you love.
Re: The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 17, 2013
^
Ok... cheesy Where is being studied currently?

(1) (2) (3) ... (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) ... (788) (Reply)

Higher Everyday — Fear Has Torment / Christ Embassy's New Social Website / Yookos.com – Christ Embassy’s Social Networking Site.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.