Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,030 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:08 AM

Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? (3065 Views)

As A Devoted Christian Should She Study Islamic Studies In The University? / He Decided To Teach Them A Lesson By Disturbing Them. Check The Pictures / The Pagan Origin Of The Word "AMEN" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Dec 03, 2012
I am surprised that I never asked myself this question. I was discussing with my Japanese friend who was sad at the state of Africa. She was stating that many of her friends from West or Southern Africa bear European/foreign names (English, French, Portuguese and Arab names).

I explained that we were colonised by these people which made us take their cultures and religion. And also we study English (In Nigeria) more than we study local languages.

She then asked if we study Christianity and Islam more that our local religions because she always meets christians and muslims from Africa but hardly pagans. This was when I realised that we only study either christian religious studies or islamic religious studies in secondary school.

Apparently, like many Japanese, my friend is from a shinto background but doesnt follow any religion. However, she believes that it is important to understand Shintoism as a culture or from a literary perspective. She contrasts Nigeria to her country in which christianity and islam are seen as foreign religions.

2 Likes

Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by advocate666: 4:23pm On Dec 03, 2012
There is something wrong with the brain of the blackman.
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by engrtee(f): 4:27pm On Dec 03, 2012
Most paganist are nöt educated. D few educated one dont want to initiate it
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by cyrexx: 5:01pm On Dec 03, 2012
‎''A lion can never teach its prey how to outsmart it.
The day it does that is the day his self imposed extinction begins.

Same, the European/Arab can't teach you the African how to be great and outsmart them, because the day they do, that is the beginning of their end.

But rather they create an illusion that there is something to be taught, that there is something to be learnt from them, well, there might be something to to learn but they aren't in a place to teach it.

And we can't learn that while we've got our heads stuck up their asses!

We need to get our heads out of where we have buried them and then we can free ourselves and can return to our senses and find our own path.

The sooner the better, because the day the zebra makes friends with the fox that is the day his demise begins and not until he breaks free shall he ever see freedom.

WAKE UP!!"

- Teekay Akin

1 Like

Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:46pm On Dec 03, 2012
One of my friend is a Nánga in ZImbabwe and she is already advocationg the teaching of Traditional Paganism in School. THe final draft has been sent and we are awaiting a response. Overall the outcome is expected to be positive and we will soon have Paganism thought in ZImbabwaen school.

Zimbabwe's Education Ministry recommended the teaching of African Traditional Religion in recognition of its multi-religious society. This study sought to establish the extent to which African Traditional Religion is taught in primary schools, the challenges faced by teachers, and opportunities for promoting its teaching. A descriptive survey design was used. A sample of 171 Bachelor of Education (In-Service) primary students of Great Zimbabwe University participated in the study. Data was collected through questionnaires and analysis of Religious and Moral Education syllabi. The study revealed that African Traditional Religion is not given due attention. Recommendations for effective teaching were made.

In countries such as India, Japan, etc., Paganism is taught on schools. In India especially in many non-,issionary schools, they have a Hindu religious subject. ALso there are some schools that are Hindu-based.

In Thailand and Burma, many schools have mandatory Buddhism and social decorum.

1 Like

Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Dec 03, 2012
engrtee: Most paganist are nöt educated. D few educated one dont want to initiate it

Nonsense angry
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Dec 03, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
One of my friend is a Nánga in ZImbabwe and she is already advocationg the teaching of Traditional Paganism in School. THe final draft has been sent and we are awaiting a response. Overall the outcome is expected to be positive and we will soon have Paganism thought in ZImbabwaen school.

Zimbabwe's Education Ministry recommended the teaching of African Traditional Religion in recognition of its multi-religious society. This study sought to establish the extent to which African Traditional Religion is taught in primary schools, the challenges faced by teachers, and opportunities for promoting its teaching. A descriptive survey design was used. A sample of 171 Bachelor of Education (In-Service) primary students of Great Zimbabwe University participated in the study. Data was collected through questionnaires and analysis of Religious and Moral Education syllabi. The study revealed that African Traditional Religion is not given due attention. Recommendations for effective teaching were made.

In countries such as India, Japan, etc., Paganism is taught on schools. In India especially in many non-,issionary schools, they have a Hindu religious subject. ALso there are some schools that are Hindu-based.

In Thailand and Burma, many schools have mandatory Buddhism and social decorum.

That is good for Zimbabwe but Zimbabwe is a hopeless country due to its politics.

We should learn from these Asian countries
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Dec 03, 2012
cyrexx: ‎''A lion can never teach its prey how to outsmart it.
The day it does that is the day his self imposed extinction begins.

Same, the European/Arab can't teach you the African how to be great and outsmart them, because the day they do, that is the beginning of their end.

But rather they create an illusion that there is something to be taught, that there is something to be learnt from them, well, there might be something to to learn but they aren't in a place to teach it.

And we can't learn that while we've got our heads stuck up their asses!

We need to get our heads out of where we have buried them and then we can free ourselves and can return to our senses and find our own path.

The sooner the better, because the day the zebra makes friends with the fox that is the day his demise begins and not until he breaks free shall he ever see freedom.

WAKE UP!!"

- Teekay Akin

Word for the wise, bro! wink
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 03, 2012
engrtee: Most paganist are nöt educated. D few educated one dont want to initiate it
Halt. You have to define what 'educated' means..
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by cyrexx: 6:55pm On Dec 03, 2012
musKeeto:
Halt. You have to define what 'educated' means..

i hope you not been infected with "anonyism syndrome". grin You need to get tested immediately and receive some vaccination from Dr Logicboy. That disease, when full blown, can lead to total blindness towards sound logical realities as evidenced by denial and dodging of glaring truths. grin
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Dec 03, 2012
cyrexx:

i hope you not been infected with "anonyism syndrome". grin You need to get tested immediately and receive some vaccination from Dr Logicboy. That disease, when full blown, can lead to total blindness towards sound logical realities as evidenced by denial and dodging of glaring truths. grin

Another symptom is the constant asking for "definitions" of words every time.
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Dec 03, 2012
Logicboy03:

Another symptom is the constant asking for "definitions" of words every time.
Lols. These guys....

On a serious note, this guy seems to think if one isn't a product of the 'white' system, he isn't educated.

1 Like

Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 03, 2012
musKeeto:
Lols. These guys....

On a serious note, this guy seems to think if one isn't a product of the 'white' system, he isn't educated.

Na today? His type have been worshiping white masters since time!

1 Like

Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by ijawkid(m): 7:43pm On Dec 03, 2012
Logicboy03:

That is good for Zimbabwe but Zimbabwe is a hopeless country due to its politics.

And what do we need to learn from them??....will it bring down the price of fuel that is soon to be increased??.....

Abeg logicboy this issue is unnecessary as far as nigeria is concerned......
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:45pm On Dec 03, 2012

I AM EDUCATED AND THERE ARE MILLIONS OF OTHER EDUCATED PAGANS! STOP STEREOTYPING! WE STARTED THE VERY CONCEPT OF EDUCATION! angry
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Dec 03, 2012
ijawkid:

And what do we need to learn from them??....will it bring down the price of fuel that is soon to be increased??.....

How can learning about your history be unnecessary?
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:46pm On Dec 03, 2012
Logicboy03:

hahaha thats is true.

YES I HAVE BEEN TELLING 9JA TO LOOK TOWARDS THE EAST , WHERE THE SUN RISES, INSTEAD OF THE WEST, WHERE THE SUN FALLS, EVER SINCE THE DAY I JOINED NAIRALAND! angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:49pm On Dec 03, 2012
ijawkid:

abeg what has fuel price got to do with SPirituality why are you confusing 2 unrelated things togetha

IF i ask you your name, will you tell me your fathers occupation MUMU! angry

THIS ISSUE IS 100% NECESSARY FOR NIGERIA'S MENTAL PROGRESS! INFACT I WANT SOME SERIOUS ADVOCATISM IN IJAW RELIGION. .
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by ijawkid(m): 7:57pm On Dec 03, 2012
musKeeto:
How can learning about your history be unnecessary?

We know about our history already.....

Abi you no know??
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by ijawkid(m): 7:59pm On Dec 03, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

abeg what has fuel price got to do with SPirituality why are you confusing 2 unrelated things togetha

IF i ask you your name, will you tell me your fathers occupation MUMU! angry

THIS ISSUE IS 100% NECESSARY FOR NIGERIA'S MENTAL PROGRESS! INFACT I WANT SOME SERIOUS ADVOCATISM IN IJAW RELIGION. .

It definitly has no relation to our mental progress...infact it might make us retrogress..........

When our kids learn it what do you expect them to do??practice it??......
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Dec 03, 2012
ijawkid:

Carry your ignorance away from this thread
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Dec 03, 2012
ijawkid:

It definitly has no relation to our mental progress...infact it might make us retrogress..........

You are so ignorant. This is to be able to teach our children our culture.
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:07pm On Dec 03, 2012
ijawkid:

stop talkin nonsense. improvements in the public sector would include, more productivity (due to lazy fools not wasting time in church/mosque), more public disposable money due to drop in tithing/curch benifits, halt in mosque/church construction and saving valuable lands , etc.

about the mental productivity, people would have more self-pride, indepence of thought and estrangement from narrow mindedness, opening up of Spiritual thought process, etc.

ijawkid: When our kids learn it what do you expect them to do??practice it??......

OFCOURSE! is that even a question
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by ijawkid(m): 8:43pm On Dec 03, 2012
Logicboy03:

You are so ignorant. This is to be able to teach our children our culture.

they would know.........we'll teach them at home......

Let me ask you.....what would you do with it??would you teach your kids.??......
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:45pm On Dec 03, 2012
ijawkid:

the point is that xtians cannot be trusted with culture owing to their annoying habit of omiting most of the aspects of it or trying to make modifications to it. Therefore it is the governments duty to ensure that young children are saved from this disaster and educated about their full culture, religion, etc., in school.

apart from other academics, sciences, maths, etc., ofcourse.
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Dec 03, 2012
ijawkid:

why do you learn christianity? And whats wrong with your kids practicing it?

Its got so much to do with our mental progress. When europeans came, they made us believe that we were capable of nothing sublime. We internalized it and became brain dead and low self esteemed. But our arts especially philosophy, poems, dance, folktales, creative fine art in our artifacts were what vindicated us. All these have root in the ATR. Do some education on your part and dont let ignorance and prejudice rub you of glory
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by ijawkid(m): 8:48pm On Dec 03, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

stop talkin nonsense. improvements in the public sector would include, more productivity (due to lazy fools not wasting time in church/mosque), more public disposable money due to drop in tithing/curch benifits, halt in mosque/church construction and saving valuable lands , etc.

about the mental productivity, people would have more self-pride, indepence of thought and estrangement from narrow mindedness, opening up of Spiritual thought process, etc.

And you think learning about paganism and practicing it would make us opeÑ minded and e
ffect progress in nigeria??......

I think the life of our fore-fathers should have shown that.......smh!!!!!.....

OFCOURSE! is that even a question[/quote]

You expect my kids to be running around with there hands and legs tied with red straps,with white chalk paintings all over there body and then dancing around a JUJU??........

You no serious u hear,.......,
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Dec 03, 2012
ijawkid:

Let me ask you.....what would you do with it??would you teach your kids.??......

For instance, I am able to explain a partcular festival that had pagan origins to my white friends. However, some of my Nigerian friends were silent and didnt know how to explain the festival to the foriegners. Their parents didnt teach them Nigerian culture that is steeped with paganism.

1 Like

Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by ijawkid(m): 8:53pm On Dec 03, 2012
souldust: why do you learn christianity? And whats wrong with your kids practicing it?

Its got so much to do with our mental progress. When europeans came, they made us believe that we were capable of nothing sublime. We internalized it and became brain dead and low self esteemed. But our arts especially philosophy, poems, dance, folktales, creative fine art in our artifacts were what vindicated us. All these have root in the ATR. Do some education on your part and dont let ignorance and prejudice rub you of glory

I know my culture.........I don't know about you....

The many persons supporting that paganism be thought in nigerian schools are not even in the country to start with....they've all gone to lick the arses of the westerners................
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Dec 03, 2012
let me point out something here, its really important. The religion is not paganism. Paganism is a religion in ancient rome. Lets stop calling it paganism for thats not what it is! The different religions we have in africa are very different from paganism all round. Be it in philosophy, theology, politics and government, history and anthropology. The ATR is better used but not the best. Another reason we should stop calling it paganism is becos, paganism has come to be synonymous with demon worship. But the ATR is no demon worship!
Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by Nobody: 8:55pm On Dec 03, 2012
ijawkid:

The many persons supporting that paganism be thought in nigerian schools are not even in the country to start with....they've all gone to lick the arses of the westerners................

Sayeth the Jewish slave.

Ijawkid's white masters have told him not to give blood. If his sister is dying on a hospital bed, Ijawkid would not give her black zz any drop of blood.

2 Likes

Re: Why Dont We Teach Pagan Studies In School? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Dec 03, 2012
ijawkid:

Christianity started out as a pagan religion.

"pagan" means local/rural

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Always Have Weird Dreams / If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying / What Was The Sin Of Jericho? (fulani Herdsmen Vs Children Of Israel)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.