Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,546 members, 7,816,327 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:37 AM

Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? (13397 Views)

The Problem With Religion, Including Science. / The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion / Top Ten Indications That You’re Over-obsessed With Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by 2good(m): 9:28am On Dec 18, 2012
Xeroz: Are you saying there are no generational curses or saying visions are fake?
Yes there are no generational curse and visions are fake. You were brainwashed from birth to believe these things and so you find it difficult accepting the fact that they are all hoax.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by omidan21: 9:29am On Dec 18, 2012
Shake my head.Nigerians eye are not opened.Most of dem still live in d dark.en d churches use dis opportunity.u see a church invite u for a crusade the billboards and banners carries impressive title theme like 'ur night of everlasting success,First born prayer night,'en series of attractive en mind catchin title.they cause traffic on deir way to deir various camps,d God that u are goin to call at camp is also near to ur neck in ur house,so what deir fucking stress is,I can't fathom.really,it daunts me that in dis civilized age en world,so many nigerians still prefer to be........

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 9:30am On Dec 18, 2012
No christian ever dare ask who this God they worship really is. A deity who preaches fear and ignorance. A shame educated folks are associated with the ridiculous deity

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by ba7man(m): 9:32am On Dec 18, 2012
A wise man once said "If everyone is in church on Sunday and in Mosques on Friday...then where are the criminals??". Another one said "If not for the prayers of the large numbers of people in Churches on sundays and Mosques on fridays...this Nation would have been destroyed already".
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 9:37am On Dec 18, 2012
nollywood20: Nigerians are not obsessed with religion.
They are only obsessed with HYPOCRISY AND LIVING IN DENIAL OF THE TRUTH.

Majority of those claiming to be "Christians" are just mere church goers who have no conscience or fear of God, otherwise they would not be so envious, jealous, evil, greedy, dishonest and wicked in their daily lifestyles.
And the so called Muslims are as hypocritical as the so called "Christians".
And among them are majority of the members on Nairaland, including the Administrator and fake moderators.

You see a member preaching on Facebook and Twitter, but is an evil liar and shameless trollop.

Only fools can be fooled by these fake religious legions of hypocrites and parasites in Nigeria.
But they can never fool God.

15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.
16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thorn bushes, or figs from thistles?
17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.
19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
~ Messiah Jesus Christ in Matthew 7:15-20, Holy Bible (NIV).

Those who intelligently wrote the bible added a lot moral ideas while the most parts are to manipulate humans. Truth is, we don't need anything from any book to be moral. Everything thing we need is in our consciousness. All we need is to activate them.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by nellybadas: 9:42am On Dec 18, 2012
[/color][b][/b]
Okija_juju: ..[b]@ OP THE BIBLE EXPLAINS IT WELL IN THE BOOK OF PROVERBS 22:6 [color=red]Train up a child in the way he shoud grow, and when he is old, he will never depart from it. What you are seeing is the result of upbringing. Its easier to train a child than to repair an Adult

Religion to Nigerians is not so much abouts its content, but about an identity. A girl who spent all Saturday night in the club or even having sex with her boyfriend/aristo will wake up by 7am, have her bath, dress up and she is in church. That Muslim chap that hides his alcohol inside his prayer kettle would do his Abulution and head for the Mosque on friday. Its now a part of what they do. It has no real meaning to them. Thats why a convicted felon would go straight from the prisons to a church for thanksgiving.

Immorality is very high in Nigeria right now, corruption, crime and all sorts of vices.. Yet every Sunday, the churches are filled to capacity.

To the Rich/upper middle-class Nigerians, Church is nothing but a social gathering where they can come into contact with the poor and subconciously oppress them. Thats why its easier for a rich man to see the pastor than it is for a Poor Church Usher to even enter the Pastors office, let alone see him. They dont pray as hard as the poor, they come late and leave early, they get choice seats in church, they get special invites to every occasion and the pastor always answers their calls personally. This classonly attend church on SUNDAYS!!

To the lower-middle class/independent enterprenuers, Church is nothing but another avenue to meet potential clients. These ones get access to the pastors, but not as easily as the rich folks. They can get a Pastor to pray for them, but cant get a pastor to come to their houses. This class would attend Church on Sundays abd are always at house-fellowships (as this is where they c=get to interact with the rich).

The Poor, To them, Church represents hope. This class are the most dedicated members of the church. they sweep the church, they make up over 75% of the churches workers, they are very loyal to the pastors, they pray the hardest, loudest and longest. They are the first to arrive in church and the last to leave. To them, they really do believe that if you pray hard enough, manna will fall from the skies. They are the most committed. This class can never see the pastor at will. Infact, they will be lucky if they can get the pastors number let alone speak to him one on one. They come to church every sunday hoping for a miracle. They dress their best but always come short. They eat at the feet of the rich & upper middle class who use them as they like.

The Politicians need religion for control. They use it for election purposes and to keep the masses under control. A christian wouldnt kill a Politician that is stealing him blind because of religion. And he is so shackled bythe religion that he cant even fight the system, so he prays to God for a solution to a problem that is within his control.

Religion is not important to Nigerians, its now a habit. [/b]
MAY ALMIGHTY GOD BLESS YOU FOR YOUR POST. YOU HAVE SAID EVERYTHING. THE HYPOCRACY IS JUST TOO MUCH. MOST RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. YET MOST CORRUPT...SMH

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 9:43am On Dec 18, 2012
Bearshare: Humans are by design religious. What is religion? A set of belief.

To a christian, he believes there is God that controls existence

To a muslim, he believes there is a God he knows better than the Christian

To the Atheist, he believes there is no God.

We all believe on something, that makes us all religious

Thank you very much, bro.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Clemzy16(m): 9:44am On Dec 18, 2012
Are you a learner?!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Vansnickers: 9:51am On Dec 18, 2012

Nigeria is 2nd on the list of the World's most religious populations, yet there is so much corruption, tribalism, wanton Violence and outright wickedness. The same Church and Mosque goers are the same Vampires that kill and mane their People! Religion nowadays is used as a political tool by the unscrupulous. Kjell Magne Bondevik once said " religion, like patriotism, is easy to misuse for political purposes".

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Naijapikin1: 9:51am On Dec 18, 2012
Nigerians are so obsessed with religion because we are so EVIL! Havent u heard dat “like objects repel, and unlike objects attract“? We are evil so we are attracted to religious finz.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by secreyor: 9:58am On Dec 18, 2012
There is no point in stressing dis issue,religion to nigerians is a way of life,if u think its a lie,come to FUTO,to be sincere,i've even lost count of hw many fellowships there...The truth is,in every faith,there are people who are TRUE BELIEVERS and those who just attend church cos they feel they are compelled to but when u review their actions,its as evil as d demons we pray against,me i know i've met true christians...life is about choices,i know i fight my conseince everyday,but its really not easy to be true to myself and truely fear God...But i know NO MAN CAN FOOL GOD.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 10:02am On Dec 18, 2012
The fact here is that, religion is really not at fault. Why? Because religion is not a tangible entity! Religion does not come to you and ask you to believe in it, a human being does, directly or by proxy. And religion does not force you to believe, you choose to believe of your own free will. The problem is not religion, the problem is people.

Religion is basically just a set of beliefs one adheres strongly to. However, it's human beings that profess it, expound it and relate it. Humans being the imperfect beings they are will also make religion imperfect. It is a human being that will tell you that Jesus is Lord and, if it suits his purpose, that Jesus has appointed him your spiritual leader. It is also a human being that says he has studied religion and knows your God better than you and the only way you can access that God is through him. Funny thing is, very few people have gone in search of God on their own. They just depend on their "spiritual leaders" to tell them who God is. So if the spiritual leader says God hates adherents of other religions and wants them blown up, they believe it. If the leader says God hates black people (yes, there are places such a thing is preached), they believe it.

But then, that's just for the Theists. Atheists are also religious. They also have a set of beliefs that they hold strongly and adhere to, and that is that there is no God. They also have other atheists they look up to for guidance or as role models (though maybe not as strongly as theists but still) and they can also believe blowing up people is nice.

The real issue on ground is a lack of morals. Our leaders preach spirituality (or aspirituality) but leave out morality. Our churches and mosques don't preach morality as strongly as they used to. Even parents are more interested in going to church and forcing their children to go to church than teaching them that stealing is bad. They leave the moral development of their children in the hands of sunday school teachers, who themselves have other things to worry about. The result being that we have children that can recite the Bible offhand but will rob you blind if given the chance.

Religion has never been the problem. Gullible people have...and in Nigeria, we have too many of them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by yommy2sure(m): 10:06am On Dec 18, 2012
so religious. Yet ungodly.....religion that contrdicts common sense....the riegning thing is to bribe God with sacrifices and gifts so that u will receive double portion... What's the difference between such God and the corrupt politicians

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by dederocs(m): 10:09am On Dec 18, 2012
I WONDER WHY PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS SCARED OF TALKING ABOUT THE CORRUPT NATURE OF SOME PASTORS,OR THE WAY SOME MUSLIM CLERICS MISLEAD SOME IGNORANT YOUTHS TO BLOW THEMSELVES UP ALL IN THE NAME OF RELIGIOUS WAR(JIHAD).NIGERIANS ARE FUNNY FOR THINKING SOME SINS ARE BIGGER THAN SOME-FOR INSTANCE YOU ARE ALLOWED TO TAKE BRIBE,ALLOWED TO FORNICATE,ALLOWED TO SEDUCE MEN,BUT CAN NOT TALK ABOUT THE EXCESSES OF THESE SO CALLED MEN OF GOD AND CLERICS.THE PROBLEMS OF NIGERIA TODAY IS CAUSED MAINLY DUE TO THE FAILURE OF RELIGIOUS INSTITUTIONS AND LEADERS TO SHOW THE RIGHT EXAMPLE TO THE YOUTHS.ITS THE HEIGHT OF HYPOCRISY HOW WE WORSHIP GOD.FOR LOVE IS THE PRINCIPAL THING,BUT WE NEGLECT THAT AND KEEP PLAYING RELIGION AS A POLITICAL GAME...WHO ARE WE DECEIVING,OURSELVES COS WE DEFINITELY CAN NOT DECEIVE GOD WITH OUR SCREAMS,HYPE AND RELIGIOUS PROPAGANDA.COS AS FAR AS I CAN SEE,THERE IS NO LOVE AROUND HERE.
IMAGINE SO MANY UNEMPLOYED YOUTHS A SO CALLED MAN OF GOD WILL USE OVER 4BILLION NAIRA TO BUY A JET HE PROBABLY WILL USE FOUR TIMES IN A MONTH,WITH FULL EXPENSES AND ACCOUNT FOR DEPRECIATION,AND THAT CHOPPER IS NO ASSET.THAT MONEY CAN BUILD 3 FACTORIES AND EMPLOY OVER 10,000YOUTHS,WITH POSITIVE MULTIPLIER EFFECTS.
LET US THINK,THESE RELIGIOUS LEADERS WILL TAKE ADVANTAGE OF US,IF WE CAN'T TALK TO THEM WHEN THEY ARE GOING ASTRAY,THE WEALTH OF THE CHURCH IS A COLLECTIVE WEALTH,NOT THE PASTOR'S MONEY.LETS STOP DECEIVING OURSELVES.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by skyfall: 10:18am On Dec 18, 2012
It's caused by an unhealthy mix of greed, ignorance, hypocrisy & poverty. I'm happy when I see all these shiny churches & mosques though, cos all hope is not lost.

In future when Nigerians are eventually tired of their religiosity, those places will be converted to schools, gyms & community centres. I'm glad the internet is really helping to speed up that future.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by kemika: 10:18am On Dec 18, 2012
I will give the followin reasons for that;
(1) since govt can not provide the simplest basic ammenities ppl turn to god to even tar their roads
(2) the lazy and vissionless ones believe it will put money in their pockets and they will become bill gate overnight miraculously
(3) the rich are religious in order to justify their concience by their service such as going to attending religious gathering, building religious houses and donating out of their corrupt blessings to god. After all everybody has a price.
(4) POVERTY. If you had been poor and oppresed b4 you would have wished something transform your fortune sudenly!
(5) it is lucrative. The sharp ones take advantage of the points above and are now the jet owners in nigeria

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by dederocs(m): 10:19am On Dec 18, 2012
nellybadas: [color=#990000][/color][b][/b]
MAY ALMIGHTY GOD BLESS YOU FOR YOUR POST. YOU HAVE SAID EVERYTHING. THE HYPOCRACY IS JUST TOO MUCH. MOST RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. YET MOST CORRUPT...SMH
BROTHER I THANK GOD FOR YOU SEE THE LIGHT.LETS NOT GIVE UP,WE NEED TO KEEP TELLING PEOPLE ABOUT THIS GRAND CONSPIRACY,ESPECIALLY HOW THE POLITICIANS USE POLITICS.WE NEED TO FIGHT THIS SHAM THAT DOES US NO GOOD AS A PEOPLE AND A NATION AND SEEK TRUTH AND REAL SPIRITUALITY OF LOVE NOT PRACTICE FACE VALUE RELIGION.THANKS.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by elliottibanga(m): 10:21am On Dec 18, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi: The fact here is that, religion is really not at fault. Why? Because religion is not a tangible entity! Religion does not come to you and ask you to believe in it, a human being does, directly or by proxy. And religion does not force you to believe, you choose to believe of your own free will. The problem is not religion, the problem is people.

Religion is basically just a set of beliefs one adheres strongly to. However, it's human beings that profess it, expound it and relate it. Humans being the imperfect beings they are will also make religion imperfect. It is a human being that will tell you that Jesus is Lord and, if it suits his purpose, that Jesus has appointed him your spiritual leader. It is also a human being that says he has studied religion and knows your God better than you and the only way you can access that God is through him. Funny thing is, very few people have gone in search of God on their own. They just depend on their "spiritual leaders" to tell them who God is. So if the spiritual leader says God hates adherents of other religions and wants them blown up, they believe it. If the leader says God hates black people (yes, there are places such a thing is preached), they believe it.

But then, that's just for the Theists. Atheists are also religious. They also have a set of beliefs that they hold strongly and adhere to, and that is that there is no God. They also have other atheists they look up to for guidance or as role models (though maybe not as strongly as theists but still) and they can also believe blowing up people is nice.

The real issue on ground is a lack of morals. Our leaders preach spirituality (or aspirituality) but leave out morality. Our churches and mosques don't preach morality as strongly as they used to. Even parents are more interested in going to church and forcing their children to go to church than teaching them that stealing is bad. They leave the moral development of their children in the hands of sunday school teachers, who themselves have other things to worry about. The result being that we have children that can recite the Bible offhand but will rob you blind if given the chance.

Religion has never been the problem. Gullible people have...and in Nigeria, we have too many of them.

You make a lot of sense but you have a rather "white or black" view of personal belief structures. I'm sure you would like to think that people are either theist or atheist, but that is far from the reality at hand. There are a lot of "Grey" belief Structures out there (Even in Nigeria) like the Pantheist, agnostics etc who have an amalgamated view of what their own faith (or lack of faith) is.

Bottom Line is that common sense, mutual respect and tolerance are in short supply in Nigeria today. (Emphasis on Common Sense!)

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Truckpusher(m): 10:23am On Dec 18, 2012
In two words it's poverty and fear of the unknown.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 10:25am On Dec 18, 2012
And for those who would care to know, atheism is a religion as much as abstinence is a 5ex position.

Dolts, this thread is not about atheism but religion - the belief in God.

The man who believes his actions are validated by an Almighty is dangerous cue Oyedepo's slap on that little girl and the stout defence his deluded people immediately put up.

That, my friends, is religion: dropping off common sense and picking up a helmet of slavation... wink

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by dumodust(m): 10:45am On Dec 18, 2012
when i hear people saying that we're passing thru a phase the europeans passed centuries ago, i smh... I understand poverty as an excuse but phase? No no. These are the same nigerians that gobbled up laptops, blackberries, facebook, twitter etc. We have access to books and wise counsel, some people submitted themselves to be brainwashed and we call it a phase. We don't have to relive all the mistakes others have made, that's what true education is about not the formal indoctrination we practice in the countr

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 10:48am On Dec 18, 2012
Van snickers:

It's interesting to note that almost every country on this list is a developed economy (except China and Czech Republic). Religion, though not a bad thing in itself, has distorted our sense of nationhood and national identity... primarily because our religions have tended to emphasise our differences rather than our similarities. Closely tied to this is the gullibility of the average Nigerian, which has resulted in systematic brainwashing of the populace by politicians and their allies in cassocks and turbans.

Religion can be a force for good only if we begin to emphasise the positive values contained therein: Love/charity, forgiveness, selflessness, humility and other virtues rather than divisive tendencies.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 10:50am On Dec 18, 2012
musKeeto: And for those who would care to know, atheism is a religion as much as abstinence is a 5ex position.

Dolts, this thread is not about atheism but religion - the belief in God.

The man who believes his actions are validated by an Almighty is dangerous cue Oyedepo's slap on that little girl and the stout defence his deluded people immediately put up.

That, my friends, is religion: dropping off common sense and picking up a helmet of slavation... wink

Once upon a time, religion was restricted to believing in a God or Gods but being religious now has gone beyond that. As far as you have a belief system or a specific world view that you hold strongly, you have a religion. The word theist has been crafted to outline those that believe in a God or Gods, to seperate them from other religions. Also the word Atheist to clearly outline those that don't believe in any God(s) at all.

Thing is, being atheist doesn't really make you a better person same as being theist or having any religion whatsoever. Morality is what makes you better and it is not dictated by religion or a lack of it. While of late, morality has been strongly related to religion, it is actually very independent of it. Which is why we have a very religious country like Nigeria yet still have so much corruption in it. So if you think not having a God is what makes you a better person, sorry bro. You wrong.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 10:54am On Dec 18, 2012
elliottibanga:

You make a lot of sense but you have a rather "white or black" view of personal belief structures. I'm sure you would like to think that people are either theist or atheist, but that is far from the reality at hand. There are a lot of "Grey" belief Structures out there (Even in Nigeria) like the Pantheist, agnostics etc who have an amalgamated view of what their own faith (or lack of faith) is.

Bottom Line is that common sense, mutual respect and tolerance are in short supply in Nigeria today. (Emphasis on Common Sense!)

And all these "grey"belief structures are still derived from either being theist or being atheist so I haven't left them out. Besides, my personal view of whether people are either Theist or Atheist doesn't really matter here as i have included everybody with any kind of belief system (which is pretty much everyone in the world) in my point of view. I still maintain that people (wether theist, atheist or a derivative of either or both) are the problem with Nigeria, and not religion or a lack of it.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by oraclefemi(m): 10:57am On Dec 18, 2012
With all due respect bros i am going to use your comment on my blog,topic is titled religion versus reality. thanks

Okija_juju: ..[b]@ OP THE BIBLE EXPLAINS IT WELL IN THE BOOK OF PROVERBS 22:6 Train up a child in the way he shoud grow, and when he is old, he will never depart from it. What you are seeing is the result of upbringing. Its easier to train a child than to repair an Adult

Religion to Nigerians is not so much abouts its content, but about an identity. A girl who spent all Saturday night in the club or even having sex with her boyfriend/aristo will wake up by 7am, have her bath, dress up and she is in church. That Muslim chap that hides his alcohol inside his prayer kettle would do his Abulution and head for the Mosque on friday. Its now a part of what they do. It has no real meaning to them. Thats why a convicted felon would go straight from the prisons to a church for thanksgiving.

Immorality is very high in Nigeria right now, corruption, crime and all sorts of vices.. Yet every Sunday, the churches are filled to capacity.

To the Rich/upper middle-class Nigerians, Church is nothing but a social gathering where they can come into contact with the poor and subconciously oppress them. Thats why its easier for a rich man to see the pastor than it is for a Poor Church Usher to even enter the Pastors office, let alone see him. They dont pray as hard as the poor, they come late and leave early, they get choice seats in church, they get special invites to every occasion and the pastor always answers their calls personally. This classonly attend church on SUNDAYS!!

To the lower-middle class/independent enterprenuers, Church is nothing but another avenue to meet potential clients. These ones get access to the pastors, but not as easily as the rich folks. They can get a Pastor to pray for them, but cant get a pastor to come to their houses. This class would attend Church on Sundays abd are always at house-fellowships (as this is where they c=get to interact with the rich).

The Poor, To them, Church represents hope. This class are the most dedicated members of the church. they sweep the church, they make up over 75% of the churches workers, they are very loyal to the pastors, they pray the hardest, loudest and longest. They are the first to arrive in church and the last to leave. To them, they really do believe that if you pray hard enough, manna will fall from the skies. They are the most committed. This class can never see the pastor at will. Infact, they will be lucky if they can get the pastors number let alone speak to him one on one. They come to church every sunday hoping for a miracle. They dress their best but always come short. They eat at the feet of the rich & upper middle class who use them as they like.

The Politicians need religion for control. They use it for election purposes and to keep the masses under control. A christian wouldnt kill a Politician that is stealing him blind because of religion. And he is so shackled bythe religion that he cant even fight the system, so he prays to God for a solution to a problem that is within his control.

Religion is not important to Nigerians, its now a habit.

Sadly, we have chosen foreign gods like the Jewish god and the Persian god. Abandoning our local gods. If we still actively worshipped Amadioha, by now, someone would have dragged their governor before Amadioha and made him swear with his life if he stole our money during his tenure or not.. By now, a Yoruba man would have dragged his council man before Sango to swear if that fake road was truly tarred with 15 billion Naira. INFACT, ALL OATHS OF OFFICES WOULD BE TAKEN IN FRONT OF AN ORACLE.. Maybe, just maybe, things would not have been this bad. [/b]
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Frostyzone(m): 10:58am On Dec 18, 2012
It's only in Africa, particularly in Nigeria that a Psychic is viewed as man of God.
Nightmare viewed as omen.
Dreams viewed as Visions.
Why must we attach religion to anything we don't understand, peeps?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by RedLight1: 11:03am On Dec 18, 2012
Okija has already nailed the thread

THREAD CLOSED
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 11:05am On Dec 18, 2012
Nigeria has a Larger Muslim Population than Iran and Saudi Arabia.....

Just An Utterly Disgusting Statistic

Yo What Up TingTingz, How you living Fam?
cool

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 11:07am On Dec 18, 2012
Another reason i point out that we the people are the problem in Nigeria and not our religions is that Pastors/Imams/Other religious leaders are not the only people we believe. We also believe politicians, in spite of the fact that we know they are corrupt. Politicians continually blind us, blind side us and play us against each other and we believe them instead of doing our homework and asking the right questions. Wasn't it this time last year that the legislature was spending weeks going on and on about gay people and Nigerians were hailing them. Right here on Nairaland, i asked everyone to forget he Gay issue and focus on the real problem, the imminent subsidy removal. Yet we continued to bask in a law that we really don't need right now while they sneaked in the subsidy removal. We only realized what's up when we started buying fuel at over N110 per litre.

Gullibility is one of our biggest problems aside a clear lack of morality.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:09am On Dec 18, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi: Another reason i point out that we the people are the problem in Nigeria and not our religions is that Pastors/Imams/Other religious leaders are not the only people we believe. We also believe politicians, in spite of the fact that we know they are corrupt. Politicians continually blind us, blind side us and play us against each other and we believe them instead of doing our homework and asking the right questions. Wasn't it this time last year that the legislature was spending weeks going on and on about gay people and Nigerians were hailing them. Right here on Nairaland, i asked everyone to forget he Gay issue and focus on the real problem, the imminent subsidy removal. Yet we continued to bask in a law that we really don't need right now while they sneaked in the subsidy removal. We only realized what's up when we started buying fuel at over N110 per litre.

Gullibility is one of our biggest problems aside a clear lack of morality.

I dont think its gullibility per se..

We just have this carefree attitude.. We leave the important issues and chase after feathers..

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by RedLight1: 11:11am On Dec 18, 2012
~Royal~:
Nigeria has a Larger Muslim Population than Iran and Saudi Arabia.....

Just An Utterly Disgusting Statistic

Yo What Up TingTingz, How you living Fam?
cool

and what has the large statictic of muslim in this nation offer us than bombing and killing?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? / Yahweh And His Lying Angels. / Is Having Sex Or Romance In Dream Truly An Indication Of Having Spiritual Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.