Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,469 members, 7,816,108 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? (13395 Views)

The Problem With Religion, Including Science. / The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion / Top Ten Indications That You’re Over-obsessed With Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 11:15am On Dec 18, 2012
Okija_juju: @ OP THE BIBLE EXPLAINS IT WELL IN THE BOOK OF PROVERBS 22:6 Train up a child in the way he shoud grow, and when he is old, he will never depart from it. What you are seeing is the result of upbringing. Its easier to train a child than to repair an Adult

Religion to Nigerians is not so much abouts its content, but about an identity. A girl who spent all Saturday night in the club or even Being Intimate with her boyfriend/aristo will wake up by 7am, have her bath, dress up and she is in church. That Muslim chap that hides his alcohol inside his prayer kettle would do his Abulution and head for the Mosque on friday. Its now a part of what they do. It has no real meaning to them. Thats why a convicted felon would go straight from the prisons to a church for thanksgiving.

Immorality is very high in Nigeria right now, corruption, crime and all sorts of vices.. Yet every Sunday, the churches are filled to capacity.

To the Rich/upper middle-class Nigerians, Church is nothing but a social gathering where they can come into contact with the poor and subconciously oppress them. Thats why its easier for a rich man to see the pastor than it is for a Poor Church Usher to even enter the Pastors office, let alone see him. They dont pray as hard as the poor, they come late and leave early, they get choice seats in church, they get special invites to every occasion and the pastor always answers their calls personally. This classonly attend church on SUNDAYS!!

To the lower-middle class/independent enterprenuers, Church is nothing but another avenue to meet potential clients. These ones get access to the pastors, but not as easily as the rich folks. They can get a Pastor to pray for them, but cant get a pastor to come to their houses. This class would attend Church on Sundays abd are always at house-fellowships (as this is where they c=get to interact with the rich).

The Poor, To them, Church represents hope. This class are the most dedicated members of the church. they sweep the church, they make up over 75% of the churches workers, they are very loyal to the pastors, they pray the hardest, loudest and longest. They are the first to arrive in church and the last to leave. To them, they really do believe that if you pray hard enough, manna will fall from the skies. They are the most committed. This class can never see the pastor at will. Infact, they will be lucky if they can get the pastors number let alone speak to him one on one. They come to church every sunday hoping for a miracle. They dress their best but always come short. They eat at the feet of the rich & upper middle class who use them as they like.

The Politicians need religion for control. They use it for election purposes and to keep the masses under control. A christian wouldnt kill a Politician that is stealing him blind because of religion. And he is so shackled bythe religion that he cant even fight the system, so he prays to God for a solution to a problem that is within his control.

Religion is not important to Nigerians, its now a habit.

Sadly, we have chosen foreign gods like the Jewish god and the Persian god. Abandoning our local gods. If we still actively worshipped Amadioha, by now, someone would have dragged their governor before Amadioha and made him swear with his life if he stole our money during his tenure or not.. By now, a Yoruba man would have dragged his council man before Sango to swear if that fake road was truly tarred with 15 billion Naira. INFACT, ALL OATHS OF OFFICES WOULD BE TAKEN IN FRONT OF AN ORACLE.. Maybe, just maybe, things would not have been this bad.

So, in essence, we should move to another religion...a more local religion, eh? And what's the assurance that those will work better?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 18, 2012
Red-Light:

and what has the large statictic of muslim in this nation offer us than bombing and killing?

Well i am pretty torn on Islam.

As a Philosophy of War, I admire it.

As a Religion for a Black male to follow, worship and adhere to...I am against such.

Islam,...from a Body of War Construct, is the One Religion,Theocracy,War Philosophy that Has never, and will never bow down to White Men as it's supreme Ruler.

If i were to be Pure Blooded Saudi I would be 100% Devoted to Islam for social cause of Opposing White Rule.

As a Philosophy of War, Islam is a Brilliant One.

As a Religion for confused Black men looking for an Identity, It's a Poison.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:18am On Dec 18, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

So, in essence, we should move to another religion...a more local religion, eh? And what's the assurance that those will work better?

The same assurance you have that this one we currently have will work.

Its indegenous to us..

Its our own.

Its cheaper to worship and maintain.

Its justice is swift and instant.

You cant worship it with mediocrity.

It keeps everyone in check.

No second chances.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 11:20am On Dec 18, 2012
Atheist evangelists full NL woh
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 11:30am On Dec 18, 2012
Okija_juju:

The same assurance you have that this one we currently have will work.

Its indegenous to us..

Its our own.

Its cheaper to worship and maintain.

Its justice is swift and instant.

You cant worship it with mediocrity.

It keeps everyone in check.

No second chances.

If i gave the impression that i think the current ones we have will work, then i apologise. Else you may have read me incorrectly. Remember, i said religion here is not the problem but the people adhering and the people preaching it. What stops a chief priest from using the gods f the people to amass personal wealth? Or to lie in the name of the oracle. It is still the same issue. If the chief priest ends up with a private jet, people still won't complain because he is supposed to be the spokesman of the gods.

Once upon a time, we were being ruled by the Brits. Then we complained and said we wanted to lead ourselves, that we wanted indigenous leadership. The Brits are long gone now. How much better has our indigeous leadership been? The colour of the skin of the leader doesn't matter; there are good leaders, both black and white. Same as there are bad leaders, both black and white. The real issue is good leadership, not if the person is black or white. It's the same with relgion. Religion is like the colour of the skin, it only defines you, but it doesn't really make you a better person. Morality is what makes you better than a criminal or a murderer.

Religion will not change us, i'm not sorry to say. Morality will..and common sense.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by EmmanuelUdom: 11:32am On Dec 18, 2012
Religion should be a personal relationship between man and woman the created and God the creator. But, I Nigeria, some persons out of ignorance, fear and laziness prefer to go to church to escape from their self created problems

cold: I have often wondered if Karl Marx had a vision of present day Nigeria when he postulated that religion is the opium of the masses
Seriously,Nigeria is probably the most religious nation on earth. Every nook and cranny is dotted with spires,domes and turrets. Churches and Mosques undulate to calls to prayer and evangelical music.A pilgrimage to Mecca or Jerusalem is a badge of religious devotion sought after with great zeal alongside the much needed appellations like Bishop,Pastor,Alhaji,Deacon etc.
Today in Nigeria being born again is now socially acceptable and even politically correct in certain quarters.as a matter of fact,there are more churches and mosques in Nigeria today than industries and schools put together (disprove me if you dare)

One would expect with this spread of churches,mosques and prayer houses that there should be an accompanying growth in morals in the society but alas this is not the case.The religious boom has been paralleled by a growth of a far less desirable kind.A decline in moral values creating an intriguing spectacle of more religion and less morality.Take Nigeria's abysmal rating on the global corruption index or the uncontrollable levels of insecurity for instance and paradoxically compare it with its rating as the most religious nation on earth.There is a profound dissonance between the spread of religion and the moral decline that has promoted corruption from a malaise confined to the epochal heights of governance to a full blown social plague.For all the religious fervour in the nation,faith has little or no social expression

But why is this important at all?Like Nairalanders are wont to ask.
In truth,religion has become Nigeria's greatest problem.A religious movement can develop a narcissistic obsession with its own mythology.Its adherents can become blinded by a creed of materialistic self involvement to the problems of a society which they are meant to heal.Religion as we have come to know it today,for the most part,has become an impediment to culture change.Its ways and its means have become obsolete.
At the risk of sounding off,let me pause here but not before I state that the Nigerian religious establishment is ripe for a reformation as is the society as a whole. The much touted recovery envisaged in the political and economic spheres cannot be attained without a recovery of values.A reform of existing religious strains could be the much needed springboard for a mass mobilisation of civil society to protest the many ills plaguing our society
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:32am On Dec 18, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

If i gave the impression that i think the current ones we have will work, then i apologise. Else you may have read me incorrectly. Remember, i said religion here is not the problem but the people adhering and the people preaching it. What stops a chief priest from using the gods f the people to amass personal wealth? Or to lie in the name of the oracle. It is still the same issue. If the chief priest ends up with a private jet, people still won't complain because he is supposed to be the spokesman of the gods.

Once upon a time, we were being ruled by the Brits. Then we complained and said we wanted to lead ourselves, that we wanted indigenous leadership. The Brits are long gone now. How much better has our indigeous leadership been? The colour of the skin of the leader doesn't matter; there are good leaders, both black and white. Same as there are bad leaders, both black and white. The real issue is good leadership, not if the person is black or white. It's going to be the same with relgion. The religion is like the colour of the skin, it only defines you, but it doesn't really make you a better person. Morality is what makes you beter than a criminal or a murderer.

Religion will not change us, i'm not sorry to say. Morality will..and common sense.

Amen to that my brother..
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:37am On Dec 18, 2012
Okija_juju: ..[b]@ OP THE BIBLE EXPLAINS IT WELL IN THE BOOK OF PROVERBS 22:6 Train up a child in the way he shoud grow, and when he is old, he will never depart from it. What you are seeing is the result of upbringing. Its easier to train a child than to repair an Adult

Religion to Nigerians is not so much abouts its content, but about an identity. A girl who spent all Saturday night in the club or even having sex with her boyfriend/aristo will wake up by 7am, have her bath, dress up and she is in church. That Muslim chap that hides his alcohol inside his prayer kettle would do his Abulution and head for the Mosque on friday. Its now a part of what they do. It has no real meaning to them. Thats why a convicted felon would go straight from the prisons to a church for thanksgiving.

Immorality is very high in Nigeria right now, corruption, crime and all sorts of vices.. Yet every Sunday, the churches are filled to capacity.

To the Rich/upper middle-class Nigerians, Church is nothing but a social gathering where they can come into contact with the poor and subconciously oppress them. Thats why its easier for a rich man to see the pastor than it is for a Poor Church Usher to even enter the Pastors office, let alone see him. They dont pray as hard as the poor, they come late and leave early, they get choice seats in church, they get special invites to every occasion and the pastor always answers their calls personally. This classonly attend church on SUNDAYS!!

To the lower-middle class/independent enterprenuers, Church is nothing but another avenue to meet potential clients. These ones get access to the pastors, but not as easily as the rich folks. They can get a Pastor to pray for them, but cant get a pastor to come to their houses. This class would attend Church on Sundays abd are always at house-fellowships (as this is where they c=get to interact with the rich).

The Poor, To them, Church represents hope. This class are the most dedicated members of the church. they sweep the church, they make up over 75% of the churches workers, they are very loyal to the pastors, they pray the hardest, loudest and longest. They are the first to arrive in church and the last to leave. To them, they really do believe that if you pray hard enough, manna will fall from the skies. They are the most committed. This class can never see the pastor at will. Infact, they will be lucky if they can get the pastors number let alone speak to him one on one. They come to church every sunday hoping for a miracle. They dress their best but always come short. They eat at the feet of the rich & upper middle class who use them as they like.

The Politicians need religion for control. They use it for election purposes and to keep the masses under control. A christian wouldnt kill a Politician that is stealing him blind because of religion. And he is so shackled bythe religion that he cant even fight the system, so he prays to God for a solution to a problem that is within his control.

Sadly, we have chosen foreign gods like the Jewish god and the Persian god. Abandoning our local gods. If we still actively worshipped Amadioha, by now, someone would have dragged their governor before Amadioha and made him swear with his life if he stole our money during his tenure or not.. By now, a Yoruba man would have dragged his council man before Sango to swear if that fake road was truly tarred with 15 billion Naira. INFACT, ALL OATHS OF OFFICES WOULD BE TAKEN IN FRONT OF AN ORACLE.. Maybe, just maybe, things would not have been this bad. [/b]

My professor My Chief Priest My Oga

What more can I say......

After a night of combing all the clubs in GRA and ending up in a hotel room, she wakes in the morning and says "Are you not going to church?" I am like WTF undecided undecided undecided

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Areaboy2(m): 11:40am On Dec 18, 2012
Okija_juju: ..[b]@ OP THE BIBLE EXPLAINS IT WELL IN THE BOOK OF PROVERBS 22:6 Train up a child in the way he shoud grow, and when he is old, he will never depart from it. What you are seeing is the result of upbringing. Its easier to train a child than to repair an Adult

Religion to Nigerians is not so much abouts its content, but about an identity. A girl who spent all Saturday night in the club or even having sex with her boyfriend/aristo will wake up by 7am, have her bath, dress up and she is in church. That Muslim chap that hides his alcohol inside his prayer kettle would do his Abulution and head for the Mosque on friday. Its now a part of what they do. It has no real meaning to them. Thats why a convicted felon would go straight from the prisons to a church for thanksgiving.

Sadly, we have chosen foreign gods like the Jewish god and the Persian god. Abandoning our local gods. If we still actively worshipped Amadioha, by now, someone would have dragged their governor before Amadioha and made him swear with his life if he stole our money during his tenure or not.. By now, a Yoruba man would have dragged his council man before Sango to swear if that fake road was truly tarred with 15 billion Naira. INFACT, ALL OATHS OF OFFICES WOULD BE TAKEN IN FRONT OF AN ORACLE.. Maybe, just maybe, things would not have been this bad. [/b]

I owe you a beer
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:43am On Dec 18, 2012
Chrisbenogor:

My professor My Chief Priest My Oga

What more can I say......

After a night of combing all the clubs in GRA and ending up in a hotel room, she wakes in the morning and says "Are you not going to church?" I am like WTF undecided undecided undecided

My chairman.. So that thing sef don do you too?!

And the next thing she go say na 'You are not God-fearing".. lol
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:43am On Dec 18, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

Once upon a time, we were being ruled by the Brits. Then we complained and said we wanted to lead ourselves, that we wanted indigenous leadership. The Brits are long gone now. How much better has our indigeous leadership been? The colour of the skin of the leader doesn't matter; there are good leaders, both black and white. Same as there are bad leaders, both black and white. The real issue is good leadership, not if the person is black or white. It's the same with relgion. Religion is like the colour of the skin, it only defines you, but it doesn't really make you a better person. Morality is what makes you better than a criminal or a murderer.

I think I agree with you, which is why for the most part I do not even bother with apologists these days.

There are good people and there are bad people, what matters the most is intent. Religion is a control tool which unfortunately only those who get to the pinnacle of that pyramid see very clearly, what they choose to use it for depends on them.
Nigerians lack morality, dignity and personal discipline, I have no hope that things will change.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:45am On Dec 18, 2012
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:45am On Dec 18, 2012
Chrisbenogor:
I think I agree with you, which is why for the most part I do not even bother with apologists these days.

There are good people and there are bad people, what matters the most is intent. Religion is a control tool which unfortunately only those who get to the pinnacle of that pyramid see very clearly, what they choose to use it for depends on them.
Nigerians lack morality, dignity and personal discipline, I have no hope that things will change.

Abeg bros, wetin be your brand.. Take 1 crate for my head..

I have 1% hope left in me.. Becuase without that 1%, na die sure pass.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by yemivictor: 11:46am On Dec 18, 2012
stephenponti: It's quite disheartening how Nigerians/Africans are engrossed with religion yet they are not truthful to each other.

It is indeed disheartening. We need to change our ways.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:52am On Dec 18, 2012
Okija_juju:

Abeg bros, wetin be your brand.. Take 1 crate for my head..

I have 1% hope left in me.. Becuase without that 1%, na die sure pass.

cheesy cheesy Na why you be my CHhhiaaaaarrrmaaaaan so

*runs off to bar and shouts "bros knack me half crate of shekpe and half crate of monkey tail, chief priest don declare bar open by 12 noon grin grin grin grin early kick off tins grin *

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 11:53am On Dec 18, 2012
The reason why I believe that religion is important is that it gives bite to morality (this is different from spirituality (i.e believing in God, etc). Morality only says "It's wrong to steal", "it's wrong to lie", without adding any form of repercussions for it. So, based on morality alone, one could think "yeah, yeah, it's wrong to lie but since nothing will happen to me for lying, i might as well go ahead and do it".But religion postulates that "if you lie, you'll go to hell". Aha, this one comes with punishment, so people would think twice before lying.

One would think "what about the law? Doesn't it punish wrong doing? Why not use the law, instead of religion?" The law punishes criminality, not immorality. Morality covers all wrong doing, criminality doesn't. Lying is generally not criminal, except in situations stipulated by the law. So you can lie to your parents about going to school yesterday (while you and your girlfriend were getting it on all day) and the law can't do anything about that. However, religion always has some kind of punishment for every immoral act, whether a promise of hell, or karma etc.

So religion kinda has its own functions but we need to have common sense as well.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Okijajuju1(m): 12:04pm On Dec 18, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi: The reason why I believe that religion is important is that it gives bite to morality (this is different from spirituality (i.e believing in God, etc). Morality only says "It's wrong to steal", "it's wrong to lie", without adding any form of repercussions for it. So, based on morality alone, one could think "yeah, yeah, it's wrong to lie but since nothing will happen to me for lying, i might as well go ahead and do it".But religion postulates that "if you lie, you'll go to hell". Aha, this one comes with punishment, so people would think twice before lying.

One would think "what about the law? Doesn't it punish wrong doing? Why not use the law, instead of religion?" The law punishes criminality, not immorality. Morality covers all wrong doing, criminality doesn't. Lying is generally not criminal, except in situations stipulated by the law. So you can lie to your parents about going to school yesterday (while you and your girlfriend were getting it on all day) and the law can't do anything about that. However, religion always has some kind of punishment for every immoral act, whether a promise of hell, or karma etc.

So religion kinda has its own functions but we need to have common sense as well.

[b]But then again religion (especially foreign ones like Christianity) also gives room for mediocrity.. It says you will go to hell if you lie, however, you can simplykneel down and pray and it makes everything okay. So its like that child that steals and is caught and says 'Im SOrry' and gets no repercussion. So what you get is that the child now understand the system and works it. So that why that Christian girl/Boy who just knownly fornicated all night Friday and Saturday will walk into church, raise her hands up high and wave em like he/she just dont care, because its okay!! All she/he has to do is say 'I'm Sorry Jesus', and its all good again..

Bring that to our everyday society.. The same practice obtains.. So I keep a stash of fifties and hundreds in my glove-box for those days when I feel like using my 'Get-out-of-jail-free card'. So I run the red light knowing its a crime, but with fifty box, I can get away with it.

No morals.. Foreign religions cant quite help as it is, especially this Jewish religion as it gives alot of room for hypocrissy and mediocrity. A christian is free to sin and repent as many times as they please as long as they dont die in the sin. Atleast the Persian religion has that 'SHARIA LAW' doctrine that keeps believers in check. Our local deities were quite good in this aspect as it was believe that their judgement was swift.

Until their is a clear punishment for every crime (with no escapes like bribery, praying for forgiveness and stuff), things will continue to be as they currently are..

Its either the LAW does this or RELIGION does this.. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:13pm On Dec 18, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi: The reason why I believe that religion is important is that it gives bite to morality (this is different from spirituality (i.e believing in God, etc). Morality only says "It's wrong to steal", "it's wrong to lie", without adding any form of repercussions for it. So, based on morality alone, one could think "yeah, yeah, it's wrong to lie but since nothing will happen to me for lying, i might as well go ahead and do it".But religion postulates that "if you lie, you'll go to hell". Aha, this one comes with punishment, so people would think twice before lying.

*takes a swig of this ogbonge shekpe and monkey tail combination*

Bros, I disagree.
There is a lot of problems with that assumption, first and fore most let us look at it from a practical point of view. Do you really think Nigerians fear hell?
The evidence in front of me says not, vanity on vanity is vanity. In my fathers house there are many mansions, streets paved of gold bla bla bla bla......deep down the only Nigerians that believe that crap are those who are the very poor and down trodden.

People might profess that they believe it, but their lives do not show that evidence. Pastors can no longer wait for riches in the future, they want their reward here and now. Punishment that is deffered to a time that you and I are not sure exists is akin to no punishment at all. In fact it is the real reason for this complacency we have today.

In old school albania and even up until today, the punishment for killing someone is death. I dont mean by law, I mean by local tradition, you kill someone and you either get killed back or someone more important in your family gets taken from you.

*takes another swig *

My guy that is real punishment, each and everyone of us has a quantity of life to live and a quality of life to live. We do not need any books written by people who do not have an idea what blackberry messenger is to give us a moral code. Morality evolves as a society evolves and sitting on the morality of a book written thousands of years ago is one of humanities biggest singular act of collective stupidity. I do not need a book to tell me if something is right or wrong, each scenario has to be judged in the right context to tell if something is right or something is wrong should depend on what me and you agree is right or wrong, obviously aside from universally accepted right or wrong principles.

*yet another swig, cough cough cough*

To put it in perspective

Morality only says "It's wrong to steal", "it's wrong to lie", without adding any form of repercussions for it.
Aluu 4 comes to mind.
Its a no brainer that is it wrong to take something that does not belong to you, its a no brainer that we would like to be treated in a certain way and that includes not having our stuff taken from us by force! So why not turn the mirror on yourself and you would have a very good indication of things that are right or wrong. As for punishment, that is why we have a constitution, the punishment for stealing is clearly spelt out. For some who are skeptical about it, you better watch your back when you cross them.
Thats the problem I have at least with christianity, he kills your wife - forgive him, he kills your kids - forgive him, comes back burns your house - forgive him, flood takes away your home and some one diverts the relief material to ariaria market - forgive him, Na God go answer am

WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF

Here is a food for thought,

If the vast majority of poor Nigerians who throng to these churches and mosques day in and out knew for certain that this life was all they would get, then we would be ready for that fantasy revolution.

Till then

*back to my shekpe*

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Okijajuju1(m): 12:17pm On Dec 18, 2012
Chrisbenogor:

*takes a swig of this ogbonge shekpe and monkey tail combination*

Bros, I disagree.
There is a lot of problems with that assumption, first and fore most let us look at it from a practical point of view. Do you really think Nigerians fear hell?
The evidence in front of me says not, vanity on vanity is vanity. In my fathers house there are many mansions, streets paved of gold bla bla bla bla......deep down the only Nigerians that believe that crap are those who are the very poor and down trodden.

People might profess that they believe it, but their lives do not show that evidence. Pastors can no longer wait for riches in the future, they want their reward here and now. Punishment that is deffered to a time that you and I are not sure exists is akin to no punishment at all. In fact it is the real reason fro this complacency we have today.

In old school albania and even up until today, the punishment for killing someone is death. I dont mean by law, I mean by local tradition, you kill someone and you either get killed back or someone more important in your family gets taken from you.

*takes another swig *

My guy that is real punishment, each and everyone of us has a quantity of life to live and a quality of life to live. We do not need any books written by people who do not have an idea what blackberry messenger is to give us a moral code. Morality evolves as a society evolves and sitting on the morality of a book written thousands of years ago is one of humanities biggest singular act of collective stupidity. I do not need a book to tell me if something is right or wrong, each scenario has to be judged in the right context to tell if something is right or something is wrong should depend on what me and you agree is right or wrong, obviously aside from universally accepted right or wrong principles.

*yet another swig, cough cough cough*

To put it in perspective

Its a no brainer that is it wrong to take something that does not belong to you, its a no brainer that we would like to be treated in a certain way and that includes not having our stuff taken from us by force! So why not turn the mirror on yourself and you would have a very good indication of things that are right or wrong. As for punishment, that is why we have a constitution, the punishment for stealing is clearly spelt out. For some who are skeptical about it, you better watch your back when you cross them.
Thats the problem I have at least with christianity, he kills your wife - forgive him, he kills your kids - forgive him, comes back burns your house - forgive him, flood takes away your home and some one diverts the relief material to ariaria market - forgive him, Na God go answer am

WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF

Here is a food for thought,

If the vast majority of poor Nigerians who throng to these churches and mosques day in and out knew for certain that this life was all they would get, then we would be ready for that fantasy revolution.

Till then

*back to my shekpe*

As soon as I return from ATM, na 2 crates you must to collect for my head..
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:19pm On Dec 18, 2012
Okija_juju:

As soon as I return from ATM, na 2 crates you must to collect for my head..
Chai

*dances off singing everything na double double*

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Dec 18, 2012
Bearshare: Humans are by design religious. What is religion? A set of belief.

To a christian, he believes there is God that controls existence

To a muslim, he believes there is a God he knows better than the Christian

To the Atheist, he believes there is no God.

We all believe on something, that makes us all religious

You're only religious when u follow to the end the principles and tenets of ur religion.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Dec 18, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi: The fact here is that, religion is really not at fault. Why? Because religion is not a tangible entity! Religion does not come to you and ask you to believe in it, a human being does, directly or by proxy. And religion does not force you to believe, you choose to believe of your own free will. The problem is not religion, the problem is people.

Religion is basically just a set of beliefs one adheres strongly to. However, it's human beings that profess it, expound it and relate it. Humans being the imperfect beings they are will also make religion imperfect. It is a human being that will tell you that Jesus is Lord and, if it suits his purpose, that Jesus has appointed him your spiritual leader. It is also a human being that says he has studied religion and knows your God better than you and the only way you can access that God is through him. Funny thing is, very few people have gone in search of God on their own. They just depend on their "spiritual leaders" to tell them who God is. So if the spiritual leader says God hates adherents of other religions and wants them blown up, they believe it. If the leader says God hates black people (yes, there are places such a thing is preached), they believe it.

But then, that's just for the Theists. Atheists are also religious. They also have a set of beliefs that they hold strongly and adhere to, and that is that there is no God. They also have other atheists they look up to for guidance or as role models (though maybe not as strongly as theists but still) and they can also believe blowing up people is nice.

The real issue on ground is a lack of morals. Our leaders preach spirituality (or aspirituality) but leave out morality. Our churches and mosques don't preach morality as strongly as they used to. Even parents are more interested in going to church and forcing their children to go to church than teaching them that stealing is bad. They leave the moral development of their children in the hands of sunday school teachers, who themselves have other things to worry about. The result being that we have children that can recite the Bible offhand but will rob you blind if given the chance.

Religion has never been the problem. Gullible people have...and in Nigeria, we have too many of them.

Abeg, stick to literature. You are a great writer but very bad theologist.

Atheism is not a belief

Religion is a problem on its own
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Dec 18, 2012
dumodust: when i hear people saying that we're passing thru a phase the europeans passed centuries ago, i smh... I understand poverty as an excuse but phase? No no. These are the same nigerians that gobbled up laptops, blackberries, facebook, twitter etc. We have access to books and wise counsel, some people submitted themselves to be brainwashed and we call it a phase. We don't have to relive all the mistakes others have made, that's what true education is about not the formal indoctrination we practice in the countr

Europe was the home of christianity. The Pope was the overall authorithy at some point. Now it is Africa.Nigerian christians are ready to put their lives at stake when defending the same religion that burnt innocent women,pregnant women accused of witch craft in Europe a few centuries ago. Already a well known pastor does slap witches. Are we not doing the same barbaric things the europeans did in the past? They are coming out,while we are diving into the deep. Our president now kneels before Adeboye. How can he prosecute Oyedepo for abusing a little girl? Are we not giving these religious corrupt leaders too much power?

The fact that we use computers we cannot produce or manifacture does not mean we are not very much behind when it comes to COMMON SENSE.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by ojuu4u(m): 12:56pm On Dec 18, 2012
ok
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by billionman: 12:57pm On Dec 18, 2012
;DI think the religion sector should have a ministry under the Federal Govt of Nigeria which will be responsible for regulating it's affairs. If not for the fact that I love my mum and would not want her to be kidnapped, I would have loved to head that ministry. wink
I would recommend Okija juju for the post of the minister of religious affairs. It's going to be the richest ministry ever.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by AjanleKoko: 1:30pm On Dec 18, 2012
I still say bollocks.
Are you people not the people populating the religions?

Typical of Nigerians/Africans to always find somewhere to place the blame. Is Nigeria the only country to be religious? Qatar, Saudi, and UAE are very religious nations, and it's ingrained into their daily life. They don't offer any apologies to anybody for practising what they believe in. Same as India, with their pantheon of religions. Every single religion alive is found in India. They've never apologized to anybody for that.

People behave irresponsibly, don't even understand what religion they say they are practising, and now turn around to blame religion for their problems. What a crock! Nigerians are blaming pastors etc. The pastors/imams etc that are good, do you people even listen to them, or follow their direction?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by dumodust(m): 1:41pm On Dec 18, 2012
ifeness:

Europe was the home of christianity. The Pope was the overall authorithy at some point. Now it is Africa.Nigerian christians are ready to put their lives at stake when defending the same religion that burnt innocent women,pregnant women accused of witch craft in Europe a few centuries ago. Already a well known pastor does slap witches. Are we not doing the same barbaric things the europeans did in the past? They are coming out,while we are diving into the deep. Our president now kneels before Adeboye. How can he prosecute Oyedepo for abusing a little girl? Are we not giving these religious corrupt leaders too much power?

The fact that we use computers we cannot produce or manifacture does not mean we are not very much behind when it comes to COMMON SENSE.
ifeness:

i understand what u're saying and i thank u for reiterating them for posterity.we're recreating the blinding unquestionable dominion the catholic church had in the dark ages, the ability to make or marr kings, declare war, declare people or things anathema. My real problem is- why are we recreating these scenarios and not learning from history when we should know better? Must history repeat itself? The instruments of real enlightenment are in our hands but we choose to ignore them because we believe some mere mortals know better, see visions and have a direct cable connection to God. When i see these stupid views being expressed by people who're supposed to be rational, i'm like wow! Some of these religious have broken up homes and come between brothers... Smh..
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Dee60: 1:43pm On Dec 18, 2012
Whatever your insinuations, brother, sister do not be caught dead without accepting Jesus Christ as your Saviour and Lord. Confess your sinfulness and accept Him into your heart now.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by DeSuper(m): 1:46pm On Dec 18, 2012

OKIJA...U have spoken my mind, may your wisdom never fade away! Long-live bro.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Dee60: 1:47pm On Dec 18, 2012
ifeness:

Was he kneeling before Adeboye or before God? In the Christian faith, kneeling when you pray is a form of submission to God.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Dec 18, 2012
AjanleKoko: I still say bollocks.
Are you people not the people populating the religions?

Typical of Nigerians/Africans to always find somewhere to place the blame. Is Nigeria the only country to be religious? Qatar, Saudi, and UAE are very religious nations, and it's ingrained into their daily life. They don't offer any apologies to anybody for practising what they believe in. Same as India, with their pantheon of religions. Every single religion alive is found in India. They've never apologized to anybody for that.

People behave irresponsibly, don't even understand what religion they say they are practising, and now turn around to blame religion for their problems. What a crock! Nigerians are blaming pastors etc. The pastors/imams etc that are good, do you people even listen to them, or follow their direction?

You are an ignorant person. Sorry.

Religion is the cause of many problems in ALL the countries you mentioned. How can you even mention those countries? Are those countries one should be even looking up to?

The muslim countries you mentioned (Saud Arabia, Qatar and UAE) have enough human rights problems as it is. Even Arab scholars complain about the Arab delusions in the middle east with their delusiion of a perfect religion with a perfect way of life while the West moves on making technological advancements.

India itself is a bedrock of religious problems. You have muslim villages being a no-go area for other religious faiths. You have the hindu caste system which remains in the minds of many even though there is a pushback against it.

Why not look up to less religious countries like Norway, Japan, Denmark that are secular, less religious and rank high on the top peaceful + advanced countries in the world?

Islam and Christianity should have very little place in Nigeria. They produce nothing but inferiority in black Africans.

Our culture and history predate the bible. However, we are to believe in these two religions that we are descendants of two people with Hebrew names "Adam and Eve". How is that even possible when the first people came from Africa? Even igbo idols have been dated to exist before the hebrew language.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by AjanleKoko: 2:09pm On Dec 18, 2012
Logicboy03:

You are an ignorant person. Sorry.

Religion is the cause of many problems in ALL the countries you mentioned. How can you even mention those countries? Are those countries one should be even looking up to?

The muslim countries you mentioned (Saud Arabia, Qatar and UAE) have enough human rights problems as it is. Even Arab scholars complain about the Arab delusions in the middle east with their delusiion of a perfect religion with a perfect way of life while the West moves on making technological advancements.

India itself is a bedrock of religious problems. You have muslim villages being a no-go area for other religious faiths. You have the hindu caste system which remains in the minds of many even though there is a pushback against it.

Why not look up to less religious countries like Norway, Japan, Denmark that are secular, less religious and rank high on the top peaceful + advanced countries in the world?

Islam and Christianity should have very little place in Nigeria. They produce nothing but inferiority in black Africans.

Our culture and history predate the bible. However, we are to believe in these two religions that we are descendants of two people with Hebrew names "Adam and Eve". How is that even possible when the first people came from Africa? Even igbo idols have been dated to exist before the hebrew language.

I always find it ironic that people who profess atheism always label anyone who does not subscribe to their views as 'ignorant'.
I'm not going to bother to respond in kind, not to worry. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jesus Appeared To Chris Okotie At 3-years-old / Yahweh And His Lying Angels. / Is Having Sex Or Romance In Dream Truly An Indication Of Having Spiritual Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 178
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.