Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,542 members, 7,816,320 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? (13396 Views)

The Problem With Religion, Including Science. / The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion / Top Ten Indications That You’re Over-obsessed With Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by UyiIredia(m): 6:59pm On Dec 18, 2012
Logicboy03:

Everybody take notice of the brain damage of religion.

Hating science

What brain damage. I only hate a flawed theory on a field of science CLEARLY not science in general.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Dec 18, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

What brain damage. I only hate a flawed theory on a field of science CLEARLY not science in general.

1) What qualification do you have to claim that evolution is a flawed theory? Note that an absolute majority of biologists accept the theory

2) On what other basis than religion do you hate evolution?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Venchy: 8:52pm On Dec 18, 2012
Absolute poverty in the society and 419 religious leaders are Capitalizing on people desperate for way out.

Vicious Circle.

Nigeria I hail thee.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by edoziengn: 6:49am On Dec 19, 2012
You all have made very logical argument against religion. The thing is non of you would survive if you lived during times when the gods of your forefathers called the shots. Check historical records, don't go to the library, just oral history, ask our elders around. There is a proverb that says "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in". This is the simple problem in this country not religion. Lets not complicate matters with posts that indirectly incites barbaric violence and blood shed.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by UyiIredia(m): 2:28pm On Dec 19, 2012
Logicboy03:

1) What qualification do you have to claim that evolution is a flawed theory? Note that an absolute majority of biologists accept the theory

2) On what other basis than religion do you hate evolution?

* I have an SSCE and read Biology in secondary school so i know the rubrics.
* Because the theory is flawed. On the fact that natural selection as a concept is a reification. Nature is a classification and can't select any particular genetic quality.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by UyiIredia(m): 3:11pm On Dec 19, 2012
I don't think religion is Niogeria's greatest problem. For example, amongst my people (the Edos) religion was used to unite us under one Oba and grant a stable and prosperous empire. What I think we see in Nigeria today is the result of what is called neo-colonialism.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by UyiIredia(m): 3:23pm On Dec 19, 2012
Some facts to show that evolution is flawed.

Indispensable: “Nature Selects” Is the Heart of Evolution. Natural selection is meant to explain the design of life and assure people see that what looks like real design is all an illusion of design—not merely something explaining biological diversity. Thus, biblical claims that people can know there is a God by the things He has made is contradicted.

Intelligence: Falsely Credited to “Nature.” The word “select” is an absolute to Darwinism. Prior to natural selection’s acceptance in the 1930s, the ability to deliberate alternative outcomes and make choices was restricted to conscious agents. Literature by evolutionists and creationists utilize “selection” in ways that imply it has volition, thus ascribing intelligence to the environment where none truly exists.

Illegitimate: “Selection” Literally Applied Apart From a Real “Selector.” Selection’s mental power resides in metaphorical usages that replace empirical evidence. In literature, environments are personified as intelligent “selectors” intentionally “working on” organisms. Advocates ease acceptance by applying the powerful analogy of artificial selection to natural selection. When they are challenged about the selector’s nonexistence, they concede that selection is a false term and their personifications are “just a figure of speech.” Since selection is not really an agent or force, it has always been mysteriously defined. Supporters continue to sharply debate whether it is a process, concept, principle, cause, effect, or something else.

Imposter: “Selection” Given Credit for Organism’s Capabilities. A distinctive of living things is their goal-directed operation—one of which is filling ecological niches. Via information in their DNA, organisms are the active element at the organism-environment interface in producing traits that either succeed or fail at solving environmental problems. This reality is distorted when supporters of selection claim environmental stresses “select” or “pressure.” “Selection” is a clever label applied to the normal outworking of an organism’s innate programming that enables it to fill environments. Thus, it steals credit from the organism and ultimately from the Lord.

Illusion: “Selection” Only Exists as a Mental Construct. When organisms possess traits enabling them to move from one environmental condition to another, minds steeped in selection actually “see” the organisms as “selected for” by some environmental stress—reflecting how people readily project human cognition onto other things. Since there is no tangible force to quantify in any way, the actual “selection” only happens in someone’s mind. The illusion is facilitated by advocates’ use of selection as, say, an external “pressure,” but then defining it as a “process” whose interrelated elements are the actual outworking of the organism’s own innate capacities to reproduce variable heritable traits.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Dec 19, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

* I have an SSCE and read Biology in secondary school so i know the rubrics.
* Because the theory is flawed. On the fact that natural selection as a concept is a reification. Nature is a classification and can't select any particular genetic quality.

The nonsense in your post is startling. Natural selection is simply survival of the fittest. It doesnt literally mean that nature like a goddess will select those it deems worthy and murder the rest.

You are proudly ignorant.

Your copy and paste jobs do you no good.,
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by UyiIredia(m): 7:43pm On Dec 19, 2012
Logicboy03:

The nonsense in your post is startling. Natural selection is simply survival of the fittest. It doesnt literally mean that nature like a goddess will select those it deems worthy and murder the rest.

You are proudly ignorant.

Your copy and paste jobs do you no good.,

And when the fittest don't survive what is that. Natural destruction eh. Why didn't the fit dinosaurs survive then.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 19, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

And when the fittest don't survive what is that. Natural destruction eh. Why didn't the fit dinosaurs survive then.

I give up sad
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by UyiIredia(m): 6:38pm On Dec 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

I give up sad

You should. Evolution is a failed theory.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Dec 20, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

You should. Evolution is a failed theory.

lolz......i gave up on your ignorance not evolution
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by UyiIredia(m): 7:15pm On Dec 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

lolz......i gave up on your ignorance not evolution
\

Of course, lazily attribute your giving up to the other party's ignorance while failing to answer well-thought out questions.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Dec 20, 2012
Uyi Iredia: \

Of course, lazily attribute your giving up to the other party's ignorance while failing to answer well-thought out questions.

https://www.nairaland.com/922920/destruction-creationists-olaadegbu-brainpulse-bigd4050

I have destroyed your type long ago on evolution. Read that thread and then come back to me
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by plaetton: 8:11pm On Dec 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

I give up sad

I just get confused when ignorance is celebrated in public.
You can see for youself what our educational system is producing.

I hear that there are about 300 religious denominations, unions and sects at OAU, one of Nigeria's premier and best Universities.

What the F#@@& are religious cults doing in a university, while students in India are writing codes for new computer software, while students in the US are designing new generation of spacecraft to usher in the space age?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Dec 20, 2012
plaetton:

I hear that there are about 300 religious denominations, unions and sects at OAU, one of Nigeria's premier and best Universities.

What the F#@@& are religious cults doing in a university, while students in India are writing codes for new computer software, while students in the US are designing new generation of spacecraft to usher in the space age?

300 denominations? shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by mazaje(m): 8:26pm On Dec 20, 2012
plaetton:

I tire . . . .
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 20, 2012
plaetton:

This is why I cant sit on the sidelines men. I must create a learning atmosphere for my children and grandchildren
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by plaetton: 8:46pm On Dec 20, 2012
Did you hear about the one a few years ago when some students of OAU got lost in the bush and had to be rescued after several days or weeks? They had apparently gone into the bush to await the rapture. University students.
lipsrsealed
Funny , but true.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Dec 20, 2012
plaetton: Did you hear about the one a few years ago when some students of OAU got lost in the bush and had to be rescued after several days or weeks? They had apparently gone into the bush to await the rapture. University students.
lipsrsealed
Funny , but true.

What?? shocked

Religion will not kill us with foolishness ooo
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Dec 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

What?? shocked

Religion will not kill us with foolishness ooo

Ah, and atheism will revive us with wisdom?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Dec 20, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Ah, and atheism will revive us with wisdom?

Atheism doesnt make anyone intelligent, neither does it make anyone foolish.

Christianity on the other hand..............
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Dec 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

Atheism doesnt make anyone intelligent, neither does it make anyone foolish.

Christianity on the other hand..............

Oh? What exactly does atheism make anyone?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Dec 20, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Oh? What exactly does atheism make anyone?

An atheist grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Dec 20, 2012
Logicboy03:

An atheist grin

Lol
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by UyiIredia(m): 1:08pm On Dec 21, 2012
Logicboy03:

https://www.nairaland.com/922920/destruction-creationists-olaadegbu-brainpulse-bigd4050

I have destroyed your type long ago on evolution. Read that thread and then come back to me

Your posts there are filled with inaccuracies. Besides your performance in the thread 'The Descendant Of Apes' clearly shows that most (if not all) of what you use to defend evolution is info from Wikipedia.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Dec 21, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

Your posts there are filled with inaccuracies. Besides your performance in the thread 'The Descendant Of Apes' clearly shows that most (if not all) of what you use to defend evolution is info from Wikipedia.

Comot for road jo.

I give you one thread to look at, you pull another.

You ant argue against the logic of my arguments and so you claim that it is full of inaccuracies (without stating how) and then complain about wikipedia? Seriously? Those wikipedia articles are seriously referenced because creationist fools like you tried to edit it and put nonsense in it.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by UyiIredia(m): 2:19pm On Dec 21, 2012
Logicboy03:
Comot for road jo.

I give you one thread to look at, you pull another.

You ant argue against the logic of my arguments and so you claim that it is full of inaccuracies (without stating how) and then complain about wikipedia? Seriously? Those wikipedia articles are seriously referenced because creationist fools like you tried to edit it and put nonsense in it.

Take for example your statement that the Hawthorne flies had produced another species. I recall telling you that it was more accurately described as a subspecies and referred you to its definition. The Hawthorne fly only produced a variant. It wasn't a fly giving rise (by evolution) to say a butterfly which is what macroevolution would require. Verytime proof for evolution is asked all we get is a variant of a particular species. Sorry bro, but your precious evolution fails . . . .. woefully.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Dec 21, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

Take for example your statement that the Hawthorne flies had produced another species. I recall telling you that it was more accurately described as a subspecies and referred you to its definition. The Hawthorne fly only produced a variant. It wasn't a fly giving rise (by evolution) to say a butterfly which is what macroevolution would require. Verytime proof for evolution is asked all we get is a variant of a particular species. Sorry bro, but your precious evolution fails . . . .. woefully.

Bold is a lie.

Yawn
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by zubike01(m): 12:20pm On Jan 20, 2013
Nigerians are very religious because the economic situation of the country is messed up. People tend to cling closer to their believe when things are difficult, for religion provides hope for the hopeless it is also easier to blame ones mishaps as the action of an unseen greater force. I believe in Oludumare the supreme God that created the earth but the God i believe in doesn't have any business with the affairs of the earth.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by cbravo2: 8:27am On Apr 18, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jesus Appeared To Chris Okotie At 3-years-old / Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? / Yahweh And His Lying Angels.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.