Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,652 members, 7,816,674 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? (13399 Views)

The Problem With Religion, Including Science. / The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion / Top Ten Indications That You’re Over-obsessed With Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Okijajuju1(m): 2:10pm On Dec 18, 2012
Dee60:

Was he kneeling before Adeboye or before God? In the Christian faith, kneeling when you pray is a form of submission to God.

Before Adeboye..

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 18, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I always find it ironic that people who profess atheism always label anyone who does not subscribe to their views as 'ignorant'.
I'm not going to bother to respond in kind, not to worry. wink

Lol.....not surprised. You were debunked and it butthurted you.

I hope my harsh lesson in reality helps you.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by AjanleKoko: 2:56pm On Dec 18, 2012
Logicboy03:

Lol.....not surprised. You were debunked and it butthurted you.

I hope my harsh lesson in reality helps you.

Are you well?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Dec 18, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Are you well?

I should be asking you that question. Ironic
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 18, 2012
The Nigerian version of religion is fake, we're just a society of hypocrites. I know someone who is a supposed sister in Church yet she is dating a married man and even asking him to leave his wife. This chick buys her married lover Every Day with Jesus devotional and tells him how he needs to start attending Church while committing adultery o! There are mornings she would be in the man's house and be updating bible passages on her BB status even about how when you trust God he will give your heart's desires! Which desires? Another woman's husband. And yet if you see this person, she's the type that will tell you I'am a sister so I can't wear a short dress...lmao but you can sleep with a married man. Abeg Nigerians are fake jare, we only do good when people can see us then we go to a dark corner and show our true selves. In fact I prefer people like Tonto Dikeh that will at least do hers openly than all the fake people around!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 3:41pm On Dec 18, 2012
Logicboy03:

Abeg, stick to literature. You are a great writer but very bad theologist.

Atheism is not a belief

Religion is a problem on its own

Bro, you really can't tell me what to stick to.

Atheism - belief in the absence of a superior being i.e God.
How is it not a belief again when the very definition states that it is? Or would rather I called it denial of the presence of a supreme being?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Dec 18, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

How is it not a belief again when the very definition states that it is? Or would rather I called it denial of the presence of a supreme being?

lolz

I dont believe in the tooth fairy. Is that a belief?

I dont belief in Zeus. Is that a belief?

A belief has to do with the acceptance of something and not the the rejection of another. One believes in a positive not a negative

Your philosophy is poor.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 18, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

Please, dont hold my comment against me. I am a big fan of yours but a hater of misinformation on atheism.

cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Wallie(m): 3:55pm On Dec 18, 2012
Logicboy03:

You are an ignorant person. Sorry.

Religion is the cause of many problems in ALL the countries you mentioned. How can you even mention those countries? Are those countries one should be even looking up to?

Wrong. Religion is not the problem but people's hypocrisy and ignorance.

If people of Abrahamic faith followed the teachings of their doctrines as professed to them, Nigeria will be a better place. No Abrahamic religion tells anyone to be unjust and all do profess some kind of punishment or karma for sins in this life or hereafter.

However, it is the lack of legal repercussion and the belief that sins can be forgiven if certain acts are performed that makes people choose to sin. But religion does need forgiveness of sins, otherwise, how can you turn a truly repentant thief that already paid his debt to society and now looking for a new direction into the righteous path? If people are forever condemned due to acts performed in the past, what motive will they have to change their ways?

The ignorance aspect includes poverty. People just lose all sense of objectivity and rationalization when it comes to religion and it is usually because they’re poor or in need of something.

The bottom line is that if legal laws are enforced, most of the hypocrisy that’s associated with religion in Nigeria will disappear because the punishment for one’s illegal actions, which includes most sins, will be immediate.

The other aspect included in hypocrisy, morality, should be the only thing religion has to deal with.

Right now, we expect our pastors and imams to condemn looters and robbers; where the hell are the law enforcers? Or did we give our religious leaders some type of power to investigate crimes?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 3:59pm On Dec 18, 2012
Look, religion is like the law. Look at all the laws we have in this country. So many of them are actually good, but between the people who break the law and the people whose responsibility it is to uphold the law we have two sides that have a law but refuse to respect it. So the law isn't the problem, but the defenders and those it is binding on.

A lot of religions do teach good things, just that the people who are looked up to for religious guidance deliberately misinform their followers for their own personal gain. Look at it this way; if religion were the problem, how come we have christians who would take the shirts off their backs and give it to a homeless man out on the street? And at the same time, another christian would take same shirt away from same homeless man. Aren't they both christians? If religion was the basis for behaviour or actions, then they should both do the same thing, right?

Again, the people are the problem, not the religions. Those that put the blame on religion are either ignorant or in denial. Even if your religion did preach that embezzling money is good, would it come and force you to embezzle? If you know the right thing, then do it, religion or no. Religion has never forced anybody to do anything. People force other people to do stuff and that's the simple truth.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Dec 18, 2012
Wallie:

Wrong. Religion is not the problem but people's hypocrisy and ignorance.

If people of Abrahamic faith followed the teachings of their doctrines as professed to them, Nigeria will be a better place. No Abrahamic religion tells anyone to be unjust and all do profess some kind of punishment or karma for sins in this life or hereafter.

However, it is the lack of legal repercussion and the belief that sins can be forgiven if certain acts are performed that makes people choose to sin. But religion does need forgiveness of sins, otherwise, how can you turn a truly repentant thief that already paid his debt to society and now looking for a new direction into the righteous path? If people are forever condemned due to acts performed in the past, what motive will they have to change their ways?

The ignorance aspect includes poverty. People just lose all sense of objectivity and rationalization when it comes to religion and it is usually because they’re poor or in need of something.

The bottom line is that if legal laws are enforced, most of the hypocrisy that’s associated with religion in Nigeria will disappear because the punishment for one’s illegal actions, which includes most sins, will be immediate.

The other aspect included in hypocrisy, morality, should be the only thing religion has to deal with.

Right now, we expect our pastors and imams to condemn looters and robbers; where the hell are the law enforcers? Or did we give our religious leaders some type of power to investigate crimes?

WRONG angry angry

1) Morality existed before religion and morality has nothing to do with religion.

2) Abrahamic religions contain myths that are detrimental to the black African
- We are not descendants of people with Jewish Names (Adam and Eve) our history predates that
- The Abrahamic religions teaches us that all God's prophets were from the middle east. Were Sub-Saharan Africans and South Americans not good for God?
-The Abrahamic faith makes us to accept Jewish and Arab traditions over our own.

3) Abrahamic Religion destroys the notion of morality. I help the poor because it is good and not because Yaweh or Allah says so.

4) Religion gives answers that no one can question. Science answers questions.
-What gives the Quran the right to tell me who I can and cant marry? That I cant marry my muslim gf?
-What gives the Bible the right to condemn homosexuality?
-Where is the evidence that God created the world or the big bang?

5) The most peaceful countries in the world are mostly secular countries where atheism is on the rise. Religion and peace have a negative coprrelation using the peace index

Japan, Iceland, Denmark etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Wallie(m): 4:11pm On Dec 18, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi: Look, religion is like the law. Look at all the laws we have in this country. So many of them are actually good, but between the people who break the law and the people whose responsibility it is to uphold the law we have two sides that have a law but refuse to respect it. So the law isn't the problem, but the defenders and those it is binding on.

A lot of religions do teach good things, just that the people who are looked up to for religious guidance deliberately misinform their followers for their own personal gain. Look at it this way; if religion were the problem, how come we have christians who would take the shirts off their backs and give it to a homeless man out on the street? And at the same time, another christian would take same shirt away from same homeless man. Aren't they both christians? If religion was the basis for behaviour or actions, then they should both do the same thing, right?

Again, the people are the problem, not the religions. Those that put the blame on religion are either ignorant or in denial. Even if your religion did preach that embezzling money is good, would it come and force you to embezzle? If you know the right thing, then do it, religion or no. Religion has never forced anybody to do anything. People force other people to do stuff and that's the simple truth.

Reason why I said the legal enforcement of the laws is the real issue. Pastors and Imams will try to save every soul, and rightfully so.

But it is the main purview of law enforcement officers to punish those who break the law. If every looter, robber, embezzler, 419er, kidnapper, molester and killer is in jail or serve jail time as stipulated for the offense they committed, Nigeria will be a better place and crimes will reduce. Period.

However, after seriving jail time, the pastors and imams can then continue to try to save the person's soul.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Dec 18, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi: Look, religion is like the law. Look at all the laws we have in this country. So many of them are actually good, but between the people who break the law and the people whose responsibility it is to uphold the law we have two sides that have a law but refuse to respect it. So the law isn't the problem, but the defenders and those it is binding on.

Lolz

Religions teach bad things as well

The bible

Leviticus 25:44
"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

1 Peter 2:18
"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh."

Titus 2:9
"Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them"

The Quran

Surah 4;34 (wife beating)
Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Dec 18, 2012
Wallie:

Reason why I said the legal enforcement of the laws is the real issue. Pastors and Imams will try to save every soul, and rightfully so.

But it is the main purview of law enforcement officers to punish those who break the law. If every looter, robber, embezzler, 419er, kidnapper, molester and killer is in jail or serve jail time as stipulated for the offense they committed, Nigeria will be a better place and crimes will reduce. Period.

However, after seriving jail time, the pastors and imams can then continue to try to save the person's soul.

I think you need to advice Sebonzakura on the separation of church and state
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Dec 18, 2012
@ Senbonzakura.

You must watch anime. Hav you seen how peaceful japan is?
[size=18pt]
64% of japanese do not believe in God[/size] shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

(this is not to say that Japan is perfect but it is the 3rd (but now 5th) most peaceful country in the world)
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Dec 18, 2012
Dee60:

Was he kneeling before Adeboye or before God? In the Christian faith, kneeling when you pray is a form of submission to God.

He was kneeling before a man.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 4:23pm On Dec 18, 2012
Logicboy03:

Lolz

Religions teach bad things as well

The bible

Leviticus 25:44
"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves.

1 Peter 2:18
"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh."

Titus 2:9
"Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them"

The Quran

Surah 4;34 (wife beating)
Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.

You may have skipped this part in my previous post:
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 4:25pm On Dec 18, 2012
Logicboy03:

I think you need to advice Sebonzakura on the separation of church and state

You may want to point out where in my posts i've indicated that I believe the church and state should be one and the same.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 4:27pm On Dec 18, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

You may have skipped this part in my previous post:

Seriously bro, just accept that you are wrong.

1) You and your pal mentioned that the religion is like the law

2) Disobeying a law has bad consequences

3) The religious laws are anti-women

4) Should someone believes wholly in that religion, he will become anti-women

How is the problem not the religion?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Dec 18, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

I think you said it yourself "the ABSENCE of a superior being". That is not a belief but a KNOWING. You certainly haven't tasted freedom from ridiculous religious belief systems,to be able to understand what Atheism means. Atheism also means,you control your own destiny,your thoughts etc.

The moment you realise you do not need support from deity, you life will never be the same.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Dec 18, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

You may want to point out where in my posts i've indicated that I believe the church and state should be one and the same.

You mentioned religion is like the law and it keeps people at bay.

Sorry if I misinterpreted that to mean that the religious laws are good in the society.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Wallie(m): 4:34pm On Dec 18, 2012
Logicboy03:

WRONG angry angry

1) Morality existed before religion and morality has nothing to do with religion.

2) Abrahamic religions contain myths that are detrimental to the black African
- We are not descendants of people with Jewish Names (Adam and Eve) our history predates that
- The Abrahamic religions teaches us that all God's prophets were from the middle east. Were Sub-Saharan Africans and South Americans not good for God?
-The Abrahamic faith makes us to accept Jewish and Arab traditions over our own.

3) Abrahamic Religion destroys the notion of morality. I help the poor because it is good and not because Yaweh or Allah says so.

4) Religion gives answers that no one can question. Science answers questions.
-What gives the Quran the right to tell me who I can and cant marry? That I cant marry my muslim gf?
-What gives the Bible the right to condemn homosexuality?
-Where is the evidence that God created the world or the big bang?

5) The most peaceful countries in the world are mostly secular countries where atheism is on the rise. Religion and peace have a negative coprrelation using the peace index

Japan, Iceland, Denmark etc.

1. Sure it does for believers of Abrahamic faith. Their religion stipulates that certain things are immoral and that’s their belief not yours. You are free to believe whatever you want; it is a free world after all.

2. Ok. Why’s that your headache if you don’t believe in the religion?

3. Good for you but it is none of my business why you do what you do.

4. Well, no one will question your belief in the Quran or Bible and it should be no one’s business. That’s your prerogative and headache BUT you not following the law as laid out in statutes will land your behind in jail.

5. Your interpretation of world events.

It seems you’re trying to draw me into a discussion about atheism and I’m not really interested. I’m way too evolved and certain of my own belief that I don’t need your approval or disapproval. My belief is my belief and yours is yours.

I'm more interested in why people choose to ignore their religious teachings, whatever it may be, if they're truly religious; hence, my focus on hypocrisy.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 18, 2012
Dee60:

Will he be able to prosecute Adeboye if he commits a crime since he kneels before him? And who told you yahweh was in that church at that particular time? Don't be ridiculous!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Dec 18, 2012
Wallie:

1. Sure it does for believers of Abrahamic faith. Their religion stipulates that certain things are immoral and that’s their belief not yours. You are free to believe whatever you want; it is a free world after all.

2. Ok. Why’s that your headache if you don’t believe in the religion?

3. Good for you but it is none of my business why you do what you do.

4. Well, no one will question your belief in the Quran or Bible and it should be no one’s business. That’s your prerogative and headache BUT you not following the law as laid out in statutes will land your behind in jail.

5. Your interpretation of world events.

It seems you’re trying to draw me into a discussion about atheism and I’m not really interested. I’m way too evolved and certain of my own belief that I don’t need your approval or disapproval. My belief is my belief and yours is yours.

I'm more interested in why people choose to ignore their religious teachings, whatever it may be, if they're truly religious; hence, my focus on hypocrisy.

Your last sentence makes the wrong assumption that religious teachings are good. The bible has been used to justify all kinds of evil. An evil christian is not a hypocrite. A slave trading christian is not a hypocrite. A misogynist christian is not a hypocrite.

As for your other points, I am not the one attacking religion, rather religion is attacking me and i am counter attacking. Religion holds a privilege it should not have in the society. eligion shuld not be govt funded and blasphemy laws should never exist. No relgion or human has the right to be offended. Human rights do not apply to religion unless it is libel or hate speech and it is towards humans.

If I say that Allah or Yaweh are fools, itshould cary the same consequence as saying the tooth fairy is a fool
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Wallie(m): 5:04pm On Dec 18, 2012
Logicboy03:
Your last sentence makes the wrong assumption that religious teachings are good. The bible has been used to justify all kinds of evil. An evil christian is not a hypocrite. A slave trading christian is not a hypocrite. A misogynist christian is not a hypocrite.

As for your other points, I am not the one attacking religion, rather religion is attacking me and i am counter attacking. Religion holds a privilege it should not have in the society. eligion shuld not be govt funded and blasphemy laws should never exist. No relgion or human has the right to be offended. Human rights do not apply to religion unless it is libel or hate speech and it is towards humans.

If I say that Allah or Yaweh are fools, itshould cary the same consequence as saying the tooth fairy is a fool

As far as I'm concerned, you can say whatever you want unless it is against the law. The problem you will run into, by being in the minority, is that the laws were created by people with religious leanings. The day you become a majority and can influence the laws as crafted, then maybe the traditional religions won’t have as much influence as they currently do. For example, people in a few states in the US legalized homosexuality and smoking marijuana, and that only happened because they had the numbers to change the laws.

There’s no doubt that religion has been used in the past and currently to justify all kinds of inhumane actions. The truth is that politics influences religion and religion serves as another “thing” that can be used to separate “us” from “them”. Pastors use it and so do imams.

It is not until we evolve as human beings and truly understand the basic notions of wrong or right that we can free ourselves of rogue pastors and imams. And this is one of the ignorant aspects of how we practice religion.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Dec 18, 2012
Wallie:

As far as I'm concerned, you can say whatever you want unless it is against the law. The problem you will run into, by being in the minority, is that the laws were created by people with religious leanings. The day you become a majority and can influence the laws as crafted, then maybe the traditional religions won’t have as much influence as they currently do. For example, people in a few states in the US legalized homosexuality and smoking marijuana, and that only happened because they had the numbers to change the laws.

There’s no doubt that religion has been used in the past and currently to justify all kinds of inhumane actions. The truth is that politics influences religion and religion serves as another “thing” that can be used to separate “us” from “them”. Pastors use it and so do imams.

It is not until we evolve as human beings and truly understand the basic notions of wrong or right that we can free ourselves of rogue pastors and imams. And this is one of the ignorant aspects of how we practice religion.

This I can agree with
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Wallie(m): 5:16pm On Dec 18, 2012
Logicboy03:
This I can agree with

To bring my argument full circle, religion is not the problem but people's failure to adhere to its teachings.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by GooseBaba: 5:17pm On Dec 18, 2012
Religion is politics.. Therefore the politics of poverty is vibrant in present day teaching. Most Nigerians believe that your believe in God and your obidience alone, without hard work and common sense equals to abundant blessings. Hence the need to use your house rent to pay tithes and offering, and wait for miraculous million naira contracts..you must not give up because your blessings is just right around the corner... So we march on..!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Dec 18, 2012
Wallie:

To bring my argument full circle, religion is not the problem but people's failure to adhere to its teachings.

This I disagree with religion is not always the problem but it is sometimes part of the problem
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by indoorlove(m): 5:26pm On Dec 18, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi: Another reason i point out that we the people are the problem in Nigeria and not our religions is that Pastors/Imams/Other religious leaders are not the only people we believe. We also believe politicians, in spite of the fact that we know they are corrupt. Politicians continually blind us, blind side us and play us against each other and we believe them instead of doing our homework and asking the right questions. Wasn't it this time last year that the legislature was spending weeks going on and on about gay people and Nigerians were hailing them. Right here on Nairaland, i asked everyone to forget he Gay issue and focus on the real problem, the imminent subsidy removal. Yet we continued to bask in a law that we really don't need right now while they sneaked in the subsidy removal. We only realized what's up when we started buying fuel at over N110 per litre. Gullibility is one of our biggest problems aside a clear lack of morality.
politicians blind us through religion!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by UyiIredia(m): 6:30pm On Dec 18, 2012
Logicboy03:

Welcome to the suffering of the unbeliever. I have been arguing here for almost a year now. The nonsense I have seen could send some rational people to the hospital.

The mental gymnastics done just to shield religion from the scrutiny of logical inquiry is quite appalling from religious peeps here.

What mental gymnastics. You mean the kind that jumps the question of the universe's origin or the gymnastics that is used to support the evolutionary theory.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 18, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

What mental gymnastics. You mean the kind that jumps the question of the universe's origin or the gymnastics that is used to support the evolutionary theory.

Everybody take notice of the brain damage of religion.

Hating science

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Should A Believer Join A Protest Against The Government? / Yahweh And His Lying Angels. / Is Having Sex Or Romance In Dream Truly An Indication Of Having Spiritual Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.