Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,462 members, 7,830,301 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (1404) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (10949902 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1401) (1402) (1403) (1404) (1405) (1406) (1407) ... (7777) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by EDUECO(m): 4:42pm On Mar 13, 2016
The Zion in this biblical verse is Zenith Bank! This week is going to be a great one for Zenith Bank's investors.Amen everyone!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by NuttyChoky(m): 4:49pm On Mar 13, 2016
WeNigerDelta:

I think I understand what JIJO means, it's pretty much what we call trading the MOMO, follow the trend of a stock for a quick 5, 10, 15 or 20% profit, it's also called scalping.
Short selling on the other hand is the opposite of a long position. In a long position you want the stock to go up and you make money when that happens. Short is the reverse, you want the stock to go down and make money when it does...

No Nigerian broker currently does short-selling because the SEC expressly forbids it...

Even order types are very limited (<10)
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by jarkbauer: 5:00pm On Mar 13, 2016
NuttyChoky:

No Nigerian broker currently does short-selling because the SEC expressly forbids it...

Even order types are very limited (<10)

what do u mean by this. I bought a stock recently and sold same day. Made 12%
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by courage89(m): 5:03pm On Mar 13, 2016
WeNigerDelta:

I think I understand what JIJO means, it's pretty much what we call trading the MOMO, follow the trend of a stock for a quick 5, 10, 15 or 20% profit, it's also called scalping.
Short selling on the other hand is the opposite of a long position. In a long position you want the stock to go up and you make money when that happens. Short is the reverse, you want the stock to go down and make money when it does...

Long position simply means you're holding the equity for a very long time. Short position means the reverse, you're holding the equity for a short duration. Short duration may be for one day, 3 months or 6 months depending on one's definition. Shorting a stock in principle is the same as JIJO. Objectives, strategies and practice of "short" differs when comparing developed economies with emerging markets. This is because developed economies have advanced financial instruments such as derivatives; options, swap, forwards that makes shorting an asset more apparent, effective and efficient. While these instruments are not available in our market.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by WeNigerDelta: 5:26pm On Mar 13, 2016
courage89:

Long position simply means you're holding the equity for a very long time. Short position means the reverse, you're holding the equity for a short duration. Short duration may be for one day, 3 months or 6 months depending on one's definition. Shorting a stock in principle is the same as JIJO. Objectives, strategies and practice of "short" differs when comparing developed economies with emerging markets. This is because developed economies have advanced financial instruments such as derivatives; options, swap, forwards that makes shorting an asset more apparent, effective and efficient. While these instruments are not available in our market.

I think we both understand each other. Yeah the NSE needs to invest in innovations of more tradable instruments. Just don't think short selling should be all that complicated, like options and swaps. Even options is not all that complicated and could brought in to for folks to actively trade the big boys stocks and the index. It's pretty much borrowing stocks for the duration of the options...
Back to what you were saying, you're pretty much calling the duration of a trade/investment either short on long. A day trade and short swing trades are short positions according to you while investments, trades longer than a couple of swings are called longs...I get it...
Hopefully the NSE remove the ban on short selling, as I believe that's protecting crooked companies with shady financials. They don't have to fear the wrath of the shorts and just keep floating along, tying down investors funds until they can get some of their act right and buyers come along a prop up the stock. Companies are not held as liable for loses and misuse of investors funds as they should be..
There are not even any activist investors, I believe short selling and options on a few securities of just the NSE index with the ability to trade both ways will bring a lot more excitement.
Just my two kobo....Plus I love shorting a bear market and shitty companies...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by WeNigerDelta: 5:36pm On Mar 13, 2016
Also another quick question. Has anybody or any firm ever been arrested or prosecuted for "insider trading" in Naija? Do people even talk about it? Or just see it as the big boys being in the know.
Just curious....

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by duni04(m): 5:38pm On Mar 13, 2016
courage89:

Oga stop confusing people. You can go short on a stock for 6 months or even more. Shorting means buying a stock in anticipation of falling price. I can borrow fbnh shares from my broker at N3.7 in anticipation of the price falling to N3.2, sell at a cheaper price after the price would have plummethed and then return the same quantity of units I borrowed to my broker with profit. And FYI I know brokers in Nigeria that give stocks to people to short and retrieve them back after the prices would have fallen.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by WeNigerDelta: 5:52pm On Mar 13, 2016
duni04:

Oga stop confusing people. You can go short on a stock for 6 months or even more. Shorting means buying a stock in anticipation of falling price. I can borrow fbnh shares from my broker at N3.7 in anticipation of the price falling to N3.2, sell at a cheaper price after the price would have plummethed and then return the same quantity of units to my broker with profit. And FYI I know brokers in Nigeria that give stocks to people to short and retrieve them back after the prices would have fallen.

Thanks for your reply chairman....Please can you give me a list of brokers that let folks short stocks....I will really appreciate it, you can pm me it you don't want to make it public.
That's been the only the holding me back from trading the NSE...
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Intendy: 6:24pm On Mar 13, 2016
courage89:

the shorting he's refering to here is different not short term of a week to six month. http://www.google.com.ng/url?q=http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/shortselling.asp&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiPhMjvlr7LAhUP7WMKHahQCvwQFggTMAI&usg=AFQjCNF3ZdKcQkGbDvioRAma3vchUdb3pQ

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by wizdonnel: 6:55pm On Mar 13, 2016
duni04:

Oga stop confusing people. You can go short on a stock for 6 months or even more. Shorting means buying a stock in anticipation of falling price. I can borrow fbnh shares from my broker at N3.7 in anticipation of the price falling to N3.2, sell at a cheaper price after the price would have plummethed and then return the same quantity of units I borrowed to my broker with profit. And FYI I know brokers in Nigeria that give stocks to people to short and retrieve them back after the prices would have fallen.

Nice one Chief... It would really be great if you share a list of Nigerian brokers that offer Margin Facilities and short selling here.

More Gizzards to our Chickens This week! grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by edwardaigb: 7:07pm On Mar 13, 2016
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by NuttyChoky(m): 7:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
jarkbauer:

what do u mean by this. I bought a stock recently and sold same day. Made 12%

That is not short selling, that is called day trading.

Short selling is when you borrow stocks from you broker and sell them, you are betting that the stock price will go down (not up) and then you can buy them back cheaper and return to the broker while you keep your profit.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by NuttyChoky(m): 7:37pm On Mar 13, 2016
WeNigerDelta:

Thanks for your reply chairman....Please can you give me a list of brokers that let folks short stocks....I will really appreciate it, you can pm me it you don't want to make it public.
That's been the only the holding me back from trading the NSE...

Please share the information with me as well... I would like to participate in Short Selling one or two stocks as well...(they know themselves)
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by NuttyChoky(m): 7:39pm On Mar 13, 2016
wizdonnel:

Nice one Chief... It would really be great if you share a list of Nigerian brokers that offer Margin Facilities and short selling here.

More Gizzards to our Chickens This week! grin

Investment One offers Margin Facilities limited to 50% of your portfolio's realisable value with an APR of about 30%. I don't know of any brokers that offer the ability to short sha.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by RichYoungRuler(m): 9:41pm On Mar 13, 2016
NuttyChoky:

That is not short selling, that is called day trading.

Short selling is when you borrow stocks from you broker and sell them, you are betting that the stock price will go down (not up) and then you can buy them back cheaper and return to the broker while you keep your profit.
hi, pls explain "go down" n not up e.g I borrow 100 units of a N1 stock. It goes down to 50k, how does 1 make profit when price has gone down when u r selling?
If you are a broker here in Nigeria would u let someone give u devalued shares back n d person takes away profit
If you say margin facility fine, that's as simple as ur broker lending u money to trade in hopes that u make money but if you lose u still return his money back with interest.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Naijainvestor: 10:38pm On Mar 13, 2016
RichYoungRuler:

hi, pls explain "go down" n not up e.g I borrow 100 units of a N1 stock. It goes down to 50k, how does 1 make profit when price has gone down when u r selling?
If you are a broker here in Nigeria would u let someone give u devalued shares back n d person takes away profit
If you say margin facility fine, that's as simple as ur broker lending u money to trade in hopes that u make money but if you lose u still return his money back with interest.

NuttyChoky is correct. This is how short selling works: You do your analysis and you think that the price of 7 UP will go down to N155 in 2 weeks time but it is selling for N165 now. You ask your broker to lend you 1000 share of 7UP and he does and you sell it for N165,000 then in 2 weeks when the price falls to N155, you buy back 1000 shares at N155,000 and give it back to the broker, now you have made a gain of N10,000 for selling a stock you did not own in the first place. This is possible because stocks are held in street names in the USA without any share certificates. The problem here is that if the 7UP share went up rather than down, you will make a loss that is why you are required to post margin when selling short.
The advantage is that it adds liquidity to the market but the disadvantage is that it increases risk and tends to depress the price even further. It is different from trading options although you can achieve the same result by buying a call option or buying a put option if you are long the position.
Let me know if you need additional explanation

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by abs4uall2000(m): 11:28pm On Mar 13, 2016
Any suggestions as regards GTB? Is it good to go in now?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by soloniger(m): 12:28am On Mar 14, 2016
Naijainvestor:

NuttyChoky is correct. This is how short selling works: You do your analysis and you think that the price of 7 UP will go down to N155 in 2 weeks time but it is selling for N165 now. You ask your broker to lend you 1000 share of 7UP and he does and you sell it for N165,000 then in 2 weeks when the price falls to N155, you buy back 1000 shares at N155,000 and give it back to the broker, now you have made a gain of N10,000 for selling a stock you did not own in the first place. This is possible because stocks are held in street names in the USA without any share certificates. The problem here is that if the 7UP share went up rather than down, you will make a loss that is why you are required to post margin when selling short.
The advantage is that it adds liquidity to the market but the disadvantage is that it increases risk and tends to depress the price even further. It is different from trading options although you can achieve the same result by buying a call option or buying a put option if you are long the position.
Let me know if you need additional explanation
Dis advanced kalokalo but I am learning sha

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by iyb(m): 12:47am On Mar 14, 2016
abs4uall2000:
Any suggestions as regards GTB? Is it good to go in now?
i have loaded gtb and zenith if they release their results and its good the stock will go up and besides it is a good stock for long term grin
i am also thinking of oando but i dey fear this stock i dont want to bleed like i did with fbnh cry
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by lancee(m): 1:59am On Mar 14, 2016
grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by wizdonnel: 2:25am On Mar 14, 2016
http://nairametrics.com/buhari-handed-lifeline-as-iea-claims-oil-price-fall-is-likely-over/

Better days are here...Good news for The Oils and Consumer Goods as there will be more Forex inflows from petro-dollars to stabilise the naira and the Greedy foreign portfolio investors are gradually rushing back to NSE!

More results are also hitting the Market!

Baba God Pick Up our Calls This week!....We Making More Dough This Year!
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by RichYoungRuler(m): 7:07am On Mar 14, 2016
[quote author=Naijainvestor post=43748021]

NuttyChoky
ok then,thank you. I get your point seems the difference is that the price should go down so u can return shares rather than margin trading where u return money.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by NuttyChoky(m): 7:50am On Mar 14, 2016
Morning House,

Please who knows of any Nigerian broker that does Stop Loss Orders?

* I'm trying to reduce how much time I spend monitoring the market.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 8:03am On Mar 14, 2016
iyb:

i have loaded gtb and zenith if they release their results and its good the stock will go up and besides it is a good stock for long term grin
i am also thinking of oando but i dey fear this stock i dont want to bleed like i did with fbnh cry

I regret selling my oando with just a margin profit.Oando is likely to do 50% from the current price of #5+ in days to come.China is now in need of Nigerian crude oil,The price of oil is also rising,Oando is also coming with a result showing good debt reductions.infact the stock will be on bid till it gets to #10.00.Afterall shareholders were promised that oando's share price will trade above #100 sometime ago.we keep our fingers crossed on Oando,fbn and fcmb...........huge returns awaiting shareholders soon.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by feelamong(m): 9:19am On Mar 14, 2016
NuttyChoky:
Morning House,

Please who knows of any Nigerian broker that does Stop Loss Orders?

* I'm trying to reduce how much time I spend monitoring the market.

Every broker does this na..

ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS TO PUT IN YOUR SELLING PRICE N THEIR TRADING MACHINE..

once it gets to that price it goes on sale...but pray that the day it gets there is not the day the stock is on offer and there are no bids..
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ogoo4real: 9:33am On Mar 14, 2016
All hands refreshing NSE website for results.... Chaii

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by megainvest: 9:38am On Mar 14, 2016
I dedicate this special number to all BNSITL
Enjoy cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efMSwiCBIrs
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by EDUECO(m): 9:39am On Mar 14, 2016
Zenith Bank is approaching its zenith!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by DeRuggedProf: 9:41am On Mar 14, 2016
grin
ogoo4real:
All hands refreshing NSE website for results.... Chaii
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by EDUECO(m): 9:44am On Mar 14, 2016
Just going up!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by NuttyChoky(m): 9:46am On Mar 14, 2016
feelamong:

Every broker does this na..

ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS TO PUT IN YOUR SELLING PRICE N THEIR TRADING MACHINE..

once it gets to that price it goes on sale...but pray that the day it gets there is not the day the stock is on offer and there are no bids..

How can I do this with Morgan Itrade? Didn't see the option online... Do I have to call them or send an email?

(1) (2) (3) ... (1401) (1402) (1403) (1404) (1405) (1406) (1407) ... (7777) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ogoo4real, Shalom428, dangle, lancee(m), Willie2015, crownprince2017, Jaakay and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.