Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,535 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (2761) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (10951116 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2758) (2759) (2760) (2761) (2762) (2763) (2764) ... (7777) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chunkuli: 8:34pm On Nov 26, 2017
oga agba, pls which one did you buy?
Agbalowomeri:
The bull go soon tear everywhere

Fasten your seat belt
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Agbalowomeri: 9:01pm On Nov 26, 2017
Copied
Drawing from his study of the greatest money-making stocks from 1953 to 1985, O'Neil
developed a set of common characteristics that each of these stocks possessed. The key
characteristics to focus on are captured in the acronym CANSLIM.

[b]C[/b]urrent quarterly earnings per share
[b]A[/b]nnual earnings growth
[b]N[/b]ew products, New Management, New Highs
[b]S[/b]hares outstanding
[b]L[/b]eading industry
[b]I[/b]nstitutional sponsorship
[b]M[/b]arket direction

Although not strictly a technical analysis tool, the CANSLIM approach combines worthy
technical and fundamental concepts. The CANSLIM approach is covered in detail in
O'Neil's book, How To Make Money In Stocks.

Interpretation
The following text summarizes each of the seven components of the CANSLIM method.

Current Quarterly Earnings
Earnings per share ("EPS"wink for the most recent quarter should be up at least 20% when
compared to the same quarter for the previous year (e.g., first quarter of 1993 to the first
quarter of 1994).

Annual Earnings Growth
Earnings per share over the last five years should be increasing at the rate of at least 15%
per year. Preferably, the EPS should increase each year. However, a single year set-back
is acceptable if the EPS quickly recovers and moves back into new high territory.

New Products, New Management, New Highs
A dramatic increase in a stock's price typically coincides with something "new." This
could be a new product or service, a new CEO, a new technology, or even new high stock
prices.
One of O'Neil's most surprising conclusions from his research is contrary to what many
investors feel to be prudent. Instead of adhering to the old stock market maxim, "buy low
and sell high," O'Neil would say, "buy high and sell higher." O'Neil's research concluded
that the ideal time to purchase a stock is when it breaks into new high territory after going
through a two to 15 month consolidation period. Some of the most dramatic increases
follow such a breakout, due possibly to the lack of resistance (i.e., sellers).

Shares Outstanding
More than 95% of the stocks in O'Neil's study of the greatest stock market winners had
less than 25 million shares outstanding. Using the simple principles of supply and
demand, restricting the shares outstanding forces the supply line to shift upward which
results in higher prices.
A huge amount of buying (i.e., demand) is required to move a stock with 400 million
shares outstanding. However, only a moderate amount of buying is required to propel a
stock with only four to five million shares outstanding (particularly if a large amount is
held by corporate insiders).

Leader
Although there is never a "satisfaction guaranteed" label attached to a stock, O'Neil found
that you could significantly increase your chances of a profitable investment if you
purchase a leading stock in a leading industry.
He also found that winning stocks are usually outperforming the majority of stocks in the
overall market as well.

Institutional Sponsorship
The biggest source of supply and demand comes from institutional buyers (e.g., mutual
funds, banks, insurance companies, etc). A stock does not require a large number of
institutional sponsors, but institutional sponsors certainly give the stock a vote of
approval. As a rule of thumb, O'Neil looks for stocks that have at least 3 to 10
institutional sponsors with better-than-average performance records.
However, too much sponsorship can be harmful. Once a stock has become
"institutionalized" it may be too late. If 70 to 80 percent of a stock's outstanding shares
are owned by institutions, the well may have run dry. The result of excessive institutional
ownership can translate into excessive selling if bad news strikes.
O'Neil feels the ideal time to purchase a stock is when it has just become discovered by
several quality institutional sponsors, but before it becomes so popular that it appears on
every institution's hot list.

Market Direction
This is the most important element in the formula. Even the best stocks can lose money if
the general market goes into a slump. Approximately seventy-five percent of all stocks
move with the general market. This means that you can pick stocks that meet all the other
criteria perfectly, yet if you fail to determine the direction of the general market, your
stocks will probably perform poorly.
Market indicators are designed to help you determine the conditions of the overall
market. O'Neil says, "Learn to interpret a daily price and volume chart of the market
averages. If you do, you can't get too far off the track. You really won't need much else
unless you want to argue with the trend of the market."

Happy Investing grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by stokfrick: 9:02pm On Nov 26, 2017
Agbalowomeri:

It is nse o my brother, I won't be surprised if diamond gives a better return than fidelity at their currentprice. Sentiment towards it appears to have improved.

Not when diamond has little or nothing to offer for dividend
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by yok: 9:14pm On Nov 26, 2017
NSE ALL SHARE INDEX CLOSE ON FRIDAY WAS FANTASTIC

I was watching the market numbers on Friday afternoon, the quality of gainers are door openers for positive market turns.

Therefore, I expect the index for this new week to close positive. This week will be a good one for us to position ourselves for the Christmas bonus/December rally. A lot of stocks like International breweries are in the market. I feel like jumping the gun and making some recommendations right away. However, I have to retrain myself and go through my usual data/charts. I hope I will finish quickly enough (got some other pressing issues to attend to). I will try my best, if no time I will just pick the high probability stocks that are in good supply/demand or median line positions.

Hope to come back with something ASAP.

Caution: Investing is a risky venture. This is just my opinion and I cannot be liable for any loss suffered as a result of following this recommendation All data used are assumed to be correct, but you may need to verify some of the figures independently.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by DeRuggedProf: 10:23pm On Nov 26, 2017
stokfrick:

Not when diamond has little or nothing to offer for dividend

Dividend play lies beyond this year. Capital appreciation knocks on Diamond before dividend game commences..... grin
Note: If the divestment is completed before December ending as 'rumoured', EPS from the divestment alone will be over N1.00.
I doubt if the price will remain below N2.0.
If Diamond was like UCAP, hmmmmmm.

NB: All is HOPE..... grin
some hopes are more likely to manifest than others.... grin

Discl: This post is purely unreliable, decisions made based on it may be very harmful.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by EchoLima262: 10:42pm On Nov 26, 2017
My people, does anyone else have issues signing into Morgan? I get messages saying the site has been improperly configured and therefore insecure!
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by stokfrick: 11:42pm On Nov 26, 2017
DeRuggedProf:

Dividend play lies beyond this year. Capital appreciation knocks on Diamond before dividend game commences..... grin
Note: If the divestment is completed before December ending as 'rumoured', EPS from the divestment alone will be over N1.00.
I doubt if the price will remain below N2.0.
If Diamond was like UCAP, hmmmmmm.

NB: All is HOPE..... grin
some hopes are more likely to manifest than others.... grin

Discl: This post is purely unreliable, decisions made based on it may be very harmful.

All man just dey protect wia dia stake dey grin
No wahala, I dey feel u
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by soloniger(m): 6:40am On Nov 27, 2017
EchoLima262:
My people, does anyone else have issues signing into Morgan? I get messages saying the site has been improperly configured and therefore insecure!
confirmed
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ZikkyChops(m): 7:22am On Nov 27, 2017
@Echolima, what time and when
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by makashava(m): 8:08am On Nov 27, 2017
This week is pregnant on Nse #bullish
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mpeace(m): 8:10am On Nov 27, 2017
makashava:
This week is pregnant on Nse #bullish
are u sure? I doubt oh. It might actually be a bearish week.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by pluto09(m): 8:15am On Nov 27, 2017
Agbalowomeri:
Copied
Drawing from his study of the greatest money-making stocks from 1953 to 1985, O'Neil
developed a set of common characteristics that each of these stocks possessed. The key
characteristics to focus on are captured in the acronym CANSLIM.

[b]C[/b]urrent quarterly earnings per share
[b]A[/b]nnual earnings growth
[b]N[/b]ew products, New Management, New Highs
[b]S[/b]hares outstanding
[b]L[/b]eading industry
[b]I[/b]nstitutional sponsorship
[b]M[/b]arket direction

Although not strictly a technical analysis tool, the CANSLIM approach combines worthy
technical and fundamental concepts. The CANSLIM approach is covered in detail in
O'Neil's book, How To Make Money In Stocks.

Interpretation
The following text summarizes each of the seven components of the CANSLIM method.

Current Quarterly Earnings
Earnings per share ("EPS"wink for the most recent quarter should be up at least 20% when
compared to the same quarter for the previous year (e.g., first quarter of 1993 to the first
quarter of 1994).

Annual Earnings Growth
Earnings per share over the last five years should be increasing at the rate of at least 15%
per year. Preferably, the EPS should increase each year. However, a single year set-back
is acceptable if the EPS quickly recovers and moves back into new high territory.

New Products, New Management, New Highs
A dramatic increase in a stock's price typically coincides with something "new." This
could be a new product or service, a new CEO, a new technology, or even new high stock
prices.
One of O'Neil's most surprising conclusions from his research is contrary to what many
investors feel to be prudent. Instead of adhering to the old stock market maxim, "buy low
and sell high," O'Neil would say, "buy high and sell higher." O'Neil's research concluded
that the ideal time to purchase a stock is when it breaks into new high territory after going
through a two to 15 month consolidation period. Some of the most dramatic increases
follow such a breakout, due possibly to the lack of resistance (i.e., sellers).

Shares Outstanding
More than 95% of the stocks in O'Neil's study of the greatest stock market winners had
less than 25 million shares outstanding. Using the simple principles of supply and
demand, restricting the shares outstanding forces the supply line to shift upward which
results in higher prices.
A huge amount of buying (i.e., demand) is required to move a stock with 400 million
shares outstanding. However, only a moderate amount of buying is required to propel a
stock with only four to five million shares outstanding (particularly if a large amount is
held by corporate insiders).

Leader
Although there is never a "satisfaction guaranteed" label attached to a stock, O'Neil found
that you could significantly increase your chances of a profitable investment if you
purchase a leading stock in a leading industry.
He also found that winning stocks are usually outperforming the majority of stocks in the
overall market as well.

Institutional Sponsorship
The biggest source of supply and demand comes from institutional buyers (e.g., mutual
funds, banks, insurance companies, etc). A stock does not require a large number of
institutional sponsors, but institutional sponsors certainly give the stock a vote of
approval. As a rule of thumb, O'Neil looks for stocks that have at least 3 to 10
institutional sponsors with better-than-average performance records.
However, too much sponsorship can be harmful. Once a stock has become
"institutionalized" it may be too late. If 70 to 80 percent of a stock's outstanding shares
are owned by institutions, the well may have run dry. The result of excessive institutional
ownership can translate into excessive selling if bad news strikes.
O'Neil feels the ideal time to purchase a stock is when it has just become discovered by
several quality institutional sponsors, but before it becomes so popular that it appears on
every institution's hot list.

Market Direction
This is the most important element in the formula. Even the best stocks can lose money if
the general market goes into a slump. Approximately seventy-five percent of all stocks
move with the general market. This means that you can pick stocks that meet all the other
criteria perfectly, yet if you fail to determine the direction of the general market, your
stocks will probably perform poorly.
Market indicators are designed to help you determine the conditions of the overall
market. O'Neil says, "Learn to interpret a daily price and volume chart of the market
averages. If you do, you can't get too far off the track. You really won't need much else
unless you want to argue with the trend of the market."

Happy Investing grin

Do you think there is any stock on the NSE that can meet all of the CANSLIM
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by veecovee: 8:18am On Nov 27, 2017
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Investnow2017: 8:19am On Nov 27, 2017
pluto09:

Exactly my question too
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Investnow2017: 8:27am On Nov 27, 2017
Bank directors with non-performing loans (NPLs) are to quit or be sacked, according to a new Code of Corporate Governance approved by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

Director, Bank Examination Department at the Nigeria Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC), Adedapo Adeleke, said the new code was instituted to address the rising cases of insider bad loans, which not only represent a conflict of interest, but are against the prudential guidelines for the industry.

He described corporate governance as an essential pillar in financial system stability.

Banks’ assets have depreciated in the last three years, with provisions for NPLs hitting N856.9 billion, due to the drop in crude oil prices. A large part of these bad loans is owed by bank directors and are in most cases unsecured.

Besides, the economic recession showed that the financial industry still harbours weaknesses in governance, as seen in insider non-performing loans, unreported losses, huge exit packages for directors, over-domineering executive management, contravention of regulatory/prudential guidelines and lending limits, poorly appraised credits and weakening of shareholders’ funds, among others.

Adeleke, who spoke at the weekend in Kano during a media workshop organised by NDIC for finance reporters, said the Corporate Governance Code for Bank Directors is signed by all bank directors at the point of their appointment, and has a section that empowers the banks’ boards to remove any director with insider non-performing loans. That section says: “If you are having non-performing loans, you will be removed. It is already being enforced except that the regulators are not being dramatic in publishing the names of affected directors,” Adeleke said.

Speaking on the theme: Curtailing the Growth of Non-Performing Loans in Banks: The Role of Regulators and Supervisors, he said that delay or non-payment of workers’ salaries by government and private companies is worsening the level of non-performing loans in the industry. He said the rate of non-performing loans is in excess of 20 per cent as against the five per cent regulatory threshold.

The NDIC director said when salaries are delayed, workers who have borrowed from banks, especially through consumer loans, always find it difficult to pay back. “If the economy is improving, and government can help to fulfill its responsibilities, including prompt payment of salaries, the level of non-performing loans in the industry will drop,” he said.

“If people working in companies that are troubled borrowed from banks, it is important that the loans be provided for when their employers can no longer pay salaries,” he said.

He however, expressed confidence that the current rise in crude oil prices will impact positively on the banking industry and businesses and help reduce the rising cases of bad loans in the industry.

Adeleke said the establishment of the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria II (AMCON II) to buy up non-performing loans as being suggested can only be private sector led. “If there is going to be AMCON II at all, it is going to be private sector-led,” he said.

He said the CBN Prudential Guidelines allows banks to review their credit portfolio continuously (at least once in a quarter) with a view to recognising any deterioration in credit quality. Such reviews, he added, should systematically and realistically classify banks’ credit exposures based on the perceived risks of default.

https://www.financialwatchngr.com/2017/11/27/cbn-sack-bank-directors-bad-loans/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 27, 2017
currentprice:

base on numbers it still better than Diamond, sterln and wema
grin

I think one need to be patience in fcmb and Diamond.There capital appreciation reward is coming by 2018.
Now and March 2018 is still a planting season for some stocks @ nse.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Agbalowomeri: 8:47am On Nov 27, 2017
pluto09:

Haba the idea is not to meet all criteria but the more of it a stock meet, the more likely it is to rally. In fact, meeting just one, two or three may even make a stock to rally
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by PETERiCHY(m): 8:51am On Nov 27, 2017
Bank directors with non-performing loans (NPLs) are to quit or be sacked, according to a new Code of Corporate Governance approved by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

https://www.financialwatchngr.com/2017/11/27/cbn-sack-bank-directors-bad-loans/

Some Banks will still go under, NEWBIES be warned!!!!

*ThE OcToPuS*
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Parisfran(f): 8:55am On Nov 27, 2017
pluto09:

Quite a lot actually. I reviewed a few stocks I've been eyeing and they are good to go by 5 out of the 7 points.
Most importantly it also gave me an idea of why most insurance stocks don't do well. Most fail 7 over 7.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by pluto09(m): 9:05am On Nov 27, 2017
Agbalowomeri:

Haba the idea is not to meet all criteria but the more of it a stock meet, the more likely it is to rally. In fact, meeting just one, two or three may even make a stock to rally

I am asking because I have not seen any, it is possible I didn't look well enough.
Thanks for the clarification grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by yok: 9:13am On Nov 27, 2017
DOOR TO UPSIDE MOVEMENT IS OPENING/SELECTION FOR THE WEEK ENDING 1 DEC 2017

Looking at the prices of many stocks looking like already beaten down. Good opportunity, to get some good stocks at bargain prices.

Below is the weekly forecast of high/low prices. After looking at my analysis personally I will be willing to buy the following stock at these prices:

Dangote Flour- The following day that the stock will close above 9.25
May and Baker: Good buying zone
Nigerian Breweries: Buy following day price goes above 139.50

Caution: Investing is a risky venture. This is just my opinion and I cannot be liable for any loss suffered as a result of following this recommendation All data used are assumed to be correct, but you may need to verify some of the figures independently.

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Zhirinovsky: 9:16am On Nov 27, 2017
please my ogas, has glaxosmith released their Q3 result?

cc Intendy and ALL
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by pluto09(m): 9:36am On Nov 27, 2017
currentprice:

base on numbers it still better than Diamond, sterln and wema
grin

There are two major recurring problems with diamond :
1. Inadequate capital ( low CAR)
2. High NPL.

These have exposed the bank as a potential candidate for a take over by cbn.

Selling some of their assets and converting to a national bank is the latest approach by the bank to address the issue of CAR. We will need to wait for the audited result to know if they will be successful or not.

As for the high NPL, I don't think that will go away in the short to medium term.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chikay123: 9:42am On Nov 27, 2017
Please how do I transfer my stock portfolio from an inactive brokering firm to an active one. I have stocks with Mainstreet securities and BGL, which are not active for now. Also I will also need advise on a good firm.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 10:00am On Nov 27, 2017
F
chikay123:
Please how do I transfer my stock portfolio from an inactive brokering firm to an active one. I have stocks with Mainstreet securities and BGL, which are not active for now. Also I will also need advise on a good firm.

Are you based in Lagos? Go to CSL stockbrokers they are very good and efficient as per transferring stocks, I will give you a contact that will put you through.

I guess your portfolio size is up to a million Naira and above?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ihedioramma: 10:06am On Nov 27, 2017
stokfrick:
All man just dey protect wia dia stake dey grin No wahala, I dey feel u
Call the name of yours to protect it now o .
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by currentprice: 10:08am On Nov 27, 2017
conoil eps 1.96 , O/S 695m and curretprice is N28

eterna eps 1.55, O/S 1.3b and currentprice is N4

this eterna is too much undervalue... mkt need to reprice it as soon as possible

grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by wanaj0: 10:15am On Nov 27, 2017
currentprice:

this eterna is too much undervalue... mkt need to reprice it as soon as possible

grin grin grin

Facts behind the figures smiley

EFCC matter on subsidy is one overhang on the stock

Secondly, is the liquidity of the stock so not that attractive to serious portfolio investors.

They seem to have improved on their corporate governance

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chikay123: 10:20am On Nov 27, 2017
I am in Port Harcourt.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by veecovee: 10:21am On Nov 27, 2017
currentprice:

grin grin grin

what's their outstanding number of shares
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by currentprice: 10:21am On Nov 27, 2017
wanaj0:

Facts behind the figures smiley

EFCC matter on subsidy is one overhang on the stock

Secondly, is the liquidity of the stock so not that attractive to serious portfolio investors.

They seem to have improved on their corporate governance

hmmm,,,if oga wanaj0 can agree on the bold, with time price will do well
grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by currentprice: 10:24am On Nov 27, 2017
veecovee:
what's their outstanding number of shares

conoil 695million

eterna 1.3 billion

eterna oil is even times 2 of conoil share unit
grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (2758) (2759) (2760) (2761) (2762) (2763) (2764) ... (7777) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.