Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,986 members, 7,810,753 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:34 PM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (7668) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (10839864 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7665) (7666) (7667) (7668) (7669) (7670) (7671) ... (7739) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by SonofElElyonRet: 6:13pm On Mar 20
yMcy56:

No much update received on many NGX stocks so far...
There's exit option available.

Price has depreciated. I have too. Better to wait it out if not in dire need of funds... you don't actually incur a loss until you sell... the stock market rewards the patient and punishes the fearful, hasty, impatient and panicky

Modified: I'm talking from experience... i sold 2.5m units of transcorp at N1 each.... not proud to say this

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by lionshare: 6:51pm On Mar 20
Agbalowomeri:

What is the valuation of Bitcoin? Where is the GDP supporting Bitcoin valuation?

I believe that the value of Bitcoin is determined by market forces and scarcity. It is my assumption that the valuation of Bitcoin cannot surpass the total value of its holders.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chillykelly86(m): 7:09pm On Mar 20
thebargainhunte:
Never in the history of Nigeria has everything skyrocketed in price as we presently have. Everything is increasing in price, yet some people are complaining high price of stock market. Our market capitalisation is still below Egypt and South Africa market capitalisation. Una tink sey 1 trillion market capitalisation na child's play.

Please can we allow divergent opinions on this platform? Even if you're 100% certain the uptrend will continue (of which no one can perfectly predict market direction), listening to divergent arguments and counter-arguments only strengthen your position making you a better decision maker.

Fundamental Analysis has become so shallow here and I am wondering. TA and FA are important but FA is more important for long term investors and value investors. They are needed in both bull and bear markets. Don't let your desire to have your short term calls right make you degrade the value of FA from diverse perspectives.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by yMcy56(f): 7:20pm On Mar 20
ExcessKJ:
Thank you very much. The customer care representative also advise I don't select Direct Cash Settlement, so I picked Cash account
You're welcome.

This should be a reminder to everyone to check if their Trading Acct/ Portfolio is in DCS (Direct Cash Settlement) mode
* You can know this if it's CSCS that used to pay you each time you make sales in your trading account
* If it's in DCS, contact your broker to forward a DCS Form to you
* Indicate "NO" for Direct Cash Settlement.
* We've discussed this here on different occasions
* This is just a reminder*

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chillykelly86(m): 7:24pm On Mar 20
Osamabinla:

I think there may be a rate hike albeit marginal. Just my opinion.

A rate hike for the ffg reasons:

1. Inflation figures released for Feb 2024 shows that inflation rate rose to 31.70%, up from 29.90% in January 2024, marking an increase of 1.80%. Also, month-on-month headline inflation rate in February 2024 reached 3.12%, an increase of 0.48% from January 2024’s rate of 2.64%. The inflation demon is still on its heightened mission.

2. The CBN Governor has made his stand known that achieving monetary and price stability is a major priority of his regime. Though, inflation figure is not the only yardstick used by the MPC committee to make MPR decision. There are several other factors.

3. Furthermore, while delivering his keynote address on Nov 24, 2023 at the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria (CIBN) 58th Annual
Bankers’ Dinner, the CBN Governor stated this - "the CBN is confident that with continued tightening measures for the next two quarters, we will be able to effectively manage inflation." In essence, we are yet to see the last of the rate hike if we are to go by this statement. These two quarters being referred to here are the 1st two quarters in 2024 (Jan to Jun, 2024).

4. Infact, when the last MPC meeting was conducted, Cardoso himself voted for the MPR rate to be hiked by 425-basis-points to 23 percent. However, the 12-member committee instead settled for a 400-basis-points hike to 22.75 percent. Cardoso’s rate target was the biggest after Aloysius Ordu, who voted for an increase of 450 basis points, confirming him as one of the most hawkish members of the MPC.

Source: https://businessday.ng/business-economy/article/for-cardoso-nigerias-jumbo-rate-hike-was-not-big-enough/

5. Furthermore, despite the outcry on rate hike, this is not the highest rate hike in the history of Nigeria. In 2001 when we experienced similar situation, the MPC committee did a 650 basis point hike, jacked up 1year TBills to around 22% from 15%, increased CRR drastically, etc. Same orthodox methods being used back then is being used now. Cardoso is of that era, time and age so he knows what he is doing. Its deliberate.

There are some other reasons that I can give that points to a further rate or why it should be increased but make I stop here.

6. On flipside, the worst case scenario is to keep the rate flat as Cardoso and Aloysius Ordu are not the only members of the MPC committee. Other majority members may vote flat. But lets wait and see as the next MPC meeting is now scheduled to hold on Monday and Tuesday next week (March 25 and 26, 2024).

These are just my hypothesis.

Thanks for this.

The CBN's aim seems to be to restore confidence in the Nigerian market. Whether they are able to do that, we wait and see. But in the meantime, we can read "determination". The effect is under probability. So, if FPIs and FDI investors are convinced, it will spell good for the market generally and NGX in particular. If not, we are left with local investors who are spending more (due to inflation) on basics and business (high interest rates) with the CBN also mopping up excess cash with an increased CRR. That's bad for the market. This is my simple view of things. Unless you are 100% certain that CBN's measures will work to attract foreign investors, you will all the more appreciate as many views as possible being aired here.

** @Osamabinla, the "you" doesn't refer to you personally but to all forum members generally.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chillykelly86(m): 7:39pm On Mar 20
BabsO2:

My average for FBNH before I started selling small small was N5
Due to devaluation, the so called high prices of banks is not real. As the prices are better underpinned by book values and EPS unlike previous peaks. So there are probalilities for further upsides if impairment charges do not create much damage. Also if all these examinations do not turn up something bad. https://moneycentral.com.ng/exclusive/article/panic-in-banks-as-cbn-sends-special-examiners-over-n20trn-owner-related-loans/

Good one. I think revaluation should be based more on Forward EPS(earnings potentials) than book value. Like you pointed out, wildcards like impairments should be given serious consideration especially with the impact of high inflation and high exchange rates on businesses.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chillykelly86(m): 7:50pm On Mar 20
Streetinvestor2:
It is not extreme if truely you have been in this market for long.I have seen zenith touch #70 when dollars was less than #200 , Fbn #60 etc.Then I had only 20,000 of zenith. I kept regretting not selling and making my first I million in stock market..I bought 10,000 units of fbn during PO at #33.00 which is part of my holdings till date before averaging down

You shouldn't ignore the near general consensus that the high prices you're referencing were part of an unjustified bubble from an FA point of view.

The tendency for the market to repeat errors reduces overtime.

We should rather focus on why the current prices are justified. I can think of 3 or 4 justifiable drivers: lockstep improvements in FA, stocks were previously highly undervalued, excess cash in the system, substantial net-positive forex inflows into the economy. Please if there are more, Ogas, please help point out.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmaodet: 8:02pm On Mar 20
Please house, can the gurus explain with a calculation how i can go about this?
Read it on @the intelligent investor@ and just want more light on it.

1. Earnings growth - A minimum increase of at least one-third in per-share earnings in the past ten years using three-year
averages at the beginning and end

2. Moderate price to earnings ratio - No more than 15 times average earnings of the past 3 years

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by STOjo: 8:47pm On Mar 20
This is the best news I want to hear.

Streetinvestor2:
Dollar gang how market. Panic sell about to be triggered if you no believe go ask aboki for street. Dey no gree buy #1500 as of today ....wahala
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by floydmayweather: 8:58pm On Mar 20
Hello Pa emma. Please which investment house/stockbroker can I use to buy FGN 10years bonds if I have less than N50million. Let say I have 10-15million.
emmanuelewumi:

Get in touch with your account officer or send a mail to consumer finance @ united capital
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ositadima1(m): 9:11pm On Mar 20
emmaodet:
Please house, can the gurus explain with a calculation how i can go about this?
Read it on @the intelligent investor@ and just want more light on it.

1. Earnings growth - A minimum increase of at least one-third in per-share earnings in the past ten years using three-year
averages at the beginning and end

2. Moderate price to earnings ratio - No more than 15 times average earnings of the past 3 years

I asked Claude 3 for help:

The criteria you mentioned are part of Benjamin Graham's guidelines for identifying potential "Defensive Investor" stock picks, as outlined in his book "The Intelligent Investor." Here's some more context and explanation for each point:

1. Earnings growth:
Graham recommended looking for companies that have demonstrated a minimum increase of at least one-third (33%) in their earnings per share over the past 10 years. However, to smooth out any potential fluctuations, he advised using 3-year averages for the earnings per share figures at the beginning and end of the 10-year period.

The rationale behind this criterion is to identify companies with a proven track record of consistent earnings growth, which is an indication of a well-managed and financially sound business.

2. Moderate price-to-earnings ratio:
Graham suggested that the stock's current price should not be more than 15 times the company's average earnings over the past 3 years. This price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio threshold of 15 was meant to ensure that investors were not overpaying for the stock relative to its recent earnings performance.

A moderate P/E ratio acts as a margin of safety, reducing the potential downside risk if the company's earnings were to decline or if the market's valuation of the stock were to become more conservative.

By combining these two criteria, Graham aimed to identify companies that not only had a solid history of earnings growth but were also trading at reasonable valuations based on their recent earnings performance. This approach aligns with Graham's philosophy of investing with a margin of safety to minimize potential losses while still allowing for long-term growth.

It's important to note that these criteria were proposed in the 1940s and may need to be adjusted for current market conditions and inflation levels. Additionally, Graham's approach focused on defensive, low-risk investing, and more aggressive investors may seek different criteria.

He gave this example:

1. Earnings growth - A minimum increase of at least one-third in per-share earnings in the past ten years using three-year averages at the beginning and end:

Let's assume a company called ABC Ltd. had the following earnings per share (EPS) figures in Naira:

2013-2015 average EPS: ₦2.50
2020-2022 average EPS: ₦4.00

In this example, the EPS grew from ₦2.50 to ₦4.00 over the 10-year period, which is an increase of 60% using the 3-year averages at the beginning and end. This meets Graham's minimum threshold of a one-third (33%) increase in EPS.

2. Moderate price-to-earnings ratio - No more than 15 times average earnings of the past 3 years:

Continuing with the example of ABC Ltd., let's assume the company's current share price is ₦75, and its average EPS for the past 3 years (2020-2022) is ₦4.00.

The price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio would be calculated as:
P/E ratio = Current share price / Average EPS for the past 3 years
P/E ratio = ₦75 / ₦4.00 = 18.75

In this case, the P/E ratio of 18.75 would exceed Graham's recommended maximum of 15 times the average earnings of the past 3 years. Therefore, ABC Ltd. would not meet this specific criterion for a "Defensive Investor" stock pick based on Graham's guidelines.

It's important to note that these are hypothetical examples, and actual Nigerian companies would need to be evaluated based on their reported financial statements and stock prices.

Additionally, Graham's criteria should be used in conjunction with other fundamental analysis techniques and adjusted for current market conditions and inflation levels in Nigeria.

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by thebargainhunte: 9:18pm On Mar 20
lionshare:
I cant fathom why the south african JSE has ASI value close to a trillion dollars yet the nation's GDP is less than $500B.

Check USA total stock market capitalisation and you would see that see that the capitalisation is about 49 trillion dollar while the GDP is about 25 trillion dollar. Stock valuation has no direct impact on GDP because we value stocks base on sentiments, sectors and country etc. Sometimes when the market capitalisation is greater than the GDP it means overvalued stock market, but we can have market capitalisation that is greater than the country's GDP. GDP is goods and services produced in a country in a year,it means that the goods and services produced by those companies that make up the stock market in a year cannot be more than the country's GDP in that year.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by thebargainhunte: 9:30pm On Mar 20
chillykelly86:

Please can we allow divergent opinions on this platform? Even if you're 100% certain the uptrend will continue (of which no one can perfectly predict market direction), listening to divergent arguments and counter-arguments only strengthen your position making you a better decision maker.

Fundamental Analysis has become so shallow here and I am wondering. TA and FA are important but FA is more important for long term investors and value investors. They are needed in both bull and bear markets. Don't let your desire to have your short term calls right make you degrade the value of FA from diverse perspectives.

What i said before was based on my personal opinion. If you checked well you would agree with me that I didn't quote anybody in what I said, how then am I suppressing a divergent view of people here? If you don't like what I said, I am sorry.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmaodet: 9:33pm On Mar 20
ositadima1:

[color=#000099]He gave this example:

1. Earnings growth - A minimum increase of at least one-third in per-share earnings in the past ten years using three-year averages at the beginning and end:

Let's assume a company called ABC Ltd. had the following earnings per share (EPS) figures in Naira:

2013-2015 average EPS: ₦2.50
2020-2022 average EPS: ₦4.00

In this example, the EPS grew from ₦2.50 to ₦4.00 over the 10-year period, which is an increase of 60% using the 3-year averages at the beginning and end. This meets Graham's minimum threshold of a one-third (33%) increase in EPS.

2. Moderate price-to-earnings ratio - No more than 15 times average earnings of the past 3 years:

Continuing with the example of ABC Ltd., let's assume the company's current share price is ₦75, and its average EPS for the past 3 years (2020-2022) is ₦4.00.

The price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio would be calculated as:
P/E ratio = Current share price / Average EPS for the past 3 years
P/E ratio = ₦75 / ₦4.00 = 18.75

In this case, the P/E ratio of 18.75 would exceed Graham's recommended maximum of 15 times the average earnings of the past 3 years. Therefore, ABC Ltd. would not meet this specific criterion for a "Defensive Investor" stock pick based on Graham's guidelines.

It's important to note that these are hypothetical examples, and actual Nigerian companies would need to be evaluated based on their reported financial statements and stock prices.

Additionally, Graham's criteria should be used in conjunction with other fundamental analysis techniques and adjusted for current market conditions and inflation levels in Nigeria.

Ohhhhh........Abasi Mbok.

Oga Osita, you really finish work for this my question.
You break it down for me to the extent that even a lay man will understand.
I owe you 10k for trophy beer abeg.
I really really appreciate your effort.
Thanks alot

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chillykelly86(m): 10:00pm On Mar 20
Streetinvestor2:
Dollar gang how market. Panic sell about to be triggered if you no believe go ask aboki for street. Dey no gree buy #1500 as of today ....wahala

If this turns out to be true (panic selling of forex), it should augur well for the market. But, it might also drive inflation higher.

Beyond that, the major question will be if the government has deciphered means to keep forex speculation in check. Else the cycle is bound to repeat.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by yinka2011: 11:06pm On Mar 20
chillykelly86:

If this turns out to be true (panic selling of forex), it should augur well for the market. But, it might also drive inflation higher.

Beyond that, the major question will be if the government has deciphered means to keep forex speculation in check. Else the cycle is bound to repeat.

Heard it’s 1380 now in wuse insiders

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Entrepreneurrr: 11:30pm On Mar 20
KarlTom:
c

Can i also send an Email, am a newbie too
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:57am On Mar 21
floydmayweather:
Hello Pa emma. Please which investment house/stockbroker can I use to buy FGN 10years bonds if I have less than N50million. Let say I have 10-15million.

Your bank

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:12am On Mar 21
thebargainhunte:

Check USA total stock market capitalisation and you would see that see that the capitalisation is about 49 trillion dollar while the GDP is about 25 trillion dollar. Stock valuation has no direct impact on GDP because we value stocks base on sentiments, sectors and country etc. Sometimes when the market capitalisation is greater than the GDP it means overvalued stock market, but we can have market capitalisation that is greater than the country's GDP. GDP is goods and services produced in a country in a year,it means that the goods and services produced by those companies that make up the stock market in a year cannot be more than the country's GDP in that year.

You can use the historical percentage of the stock market capitalization and the country's GDP to determine if the general stock market is over valued.

You need data of over 20 years to do this.

Someone said the average for Nigeria is about 40% of our GDP

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:20am On Mar 21
Relationship between market capitalization and GDP from Investopedia

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by freeman67: 7:01am On Mar 21
floydmayweather:

Make I answer for am Stanbic IBTC.

Me go add say you can do it easily with Sandard Chartered Bank too. Infact for them, you can do it without interface with any human. However, I feel it's mostly secondary there and you can do it anyday.

If you decide want to consider them, just download the Standard Chartered Bank Nigeria app. Register normally like you are opening account with normal fintech app. Be sure to have you BVN Valid ID and proof of address ready because it's required in the set up. When done, your account number will be sent to you.

Then from there, you can navigate to the investing option on the app, set up your investment risk profile and after that, you are good to go.

From there you can see their TB , secondary market and bond, secondary market daily. Sometimes you can get really good rates for bond. Na their TB dey poor. Infact there you can also see foreign bonds and mutual funds sef incase you are interested.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Locotrader(m): 7:24am On Mar 21
@222martins,

Good morning

The core investor of IEI bought their shares at #1.60.The stock is currently trading below their entry price. Looking at the latest result of IEI, the stock price is too cheap at 1.45kobo.There is possibility of this Q1 result to beat that of last year by over 200%.

I think the stock will also be on 10% full bid today

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by thebargainhunte: 7:48am On Mar 21
emmanuelewumi:

You can use the historical percentage of the stock market capitalization and the country's GDP to determine if the general stock market is over valued.

You need data of over 20 years to do this.

Someone said the average for Nigeria is about 40% of our GDP
This has been my stand that our market is still undervalued even at this current rate. We should be talking about 100 billion capitalisation by now.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by thebargainhunte: 7:52am On Mar 21
emmanuelewumi:
Relationship between market capitalization and GDP from Investopedia
Increase in GDP increases stock market capitalisation and vice versa.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by megawealth01: 8:43am On Mar 21
CBN Settles All FX Backlog As External Reserves Rise To $34.11 Billion

https://thenationonlineng.net/breaking-cbn-setles-all-fx-backlog-as-external-reserves-rise-to-34-11bn/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by megawealth01: 8:48am On Mar 21
Today's Top Volumes Trades

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Zagee: 8:50am On Mar 21
thebargainhunte:
This has been my stand that our market is still undervalued even at this current rate. We should be talking about 100 billion(usd/naira) capitalisation by now.

New listings are what is required to have this. We need more lively coys on the bourse. NNPCL and Dangote Refinery adds about 5-10trillion to it. We just have to create the enabling environment for such traction. E.g includes but not limited to not having Stupid people anywhere at the seat of governance.
Without sounding political, this was why OBI had a visit to the LSE during his tour. I think bulaba had some run-ins with other exchange I think.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by W0t0w0toman: 8:52am On Mar 21
megawealth01:

If only you know how some people talk to people unruly that can feed their entire generation in a faceless platform just because they can all type...

MATURITY is what makes real elders ignore certain attention seekers

Small yansh dey shake. Upload your statement of account let me upload mine, and let's see who can feed each other's generation. Yamayama fall on your big bald head. Do it now
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by SonofElElyonRet: 9:02am On Mar 21
megawealth01:
Today's Top Volumes Trades

Today ke?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by SonofElElyonRet: 9:03am On Mar 21
Zagee:

New listings are what is required to have this. We need more lively coys on the bourse. NNPCL and Dangote Refinery adds about 5-10trillion to it. We just have to create the enabling environment for such traction. E.g includes but not limited to not having Stupid people anywhere at the seat of governance.
Without sounding political, this was why OBI had a visit to the LSE during his tour. I think bulaba had some run-ins with other exchange I think.

Dangote fertilizer will also be listed (as reported)
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by SonofElElyonRet: 9:04am On Mar 21
W0t0w0toman:

Small yansh dey shake. Upload your statement of account let me upload mine, and let's see who can feed each other's generation. Yamayama fall on your big bald head. Do it now

Too early for this Mr W0t0w0t0
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:06am On Mar 21
thebargainhunte:
This has been my stand that our market is still undervalued even at this current rate. We should be talking about 100 billion capitalisation by now.

How?

How many businesses are quoted on NGX.

Do you have the historical data of the relationship between the Nigerian stock market capitalization and our GDP.

Because 80% is undervalued in the US stock market compared to their GDP, does not mean 50% is not overvalued in the Nigerian stock market compared to our GDP.

Maybe you wanted to say businesses in the Nigerian economy needed to be quoted on NGX

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7665) (7666) (7667) (7668) (7669) (7670) (7671) ... (7739) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Stan2330(m), SonofElElyonRet, Mfunkynation(m), MrDiligence, TradeSunMoore, Emumakpo, Laso09 and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.