Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,586 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts - Investment (7687) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts (10872468 Views)

Nigerian Stocks To Buy - 2024 Best Performing Stocks / Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7684) (7685) (7686) (7687) (7688) (7689) (7690) ... (7749) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:40pm On Mar 30
unite4real:

I cannot help but laugh how the mark down of Transcorp hotel will be like. Removing 20k from 9700k is insignificant.

Unfortunately pushing the price back down is a tall mountain considering you need 100k units of which it appears the small players don't have.
Transcorp hotel above N10 is not a good buy for me. So at N97, it's unthinkable

That is why we have the opportunity for cross deal,
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by SonofElElyonRet: 5:12pm On Mar 30
unite4real:

You only have to be skilled in knowing when to jump out else you get trapped and be coming out everyday to place your sell order and hopefully getting less than 3% of your holding getting filled.

O ga grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chillykelly86(m): 5:56pm On Mar 30
onegentleguy:

Honestly, your concerns are valid!
But look at it this way; If the component of RE (retained earnings) is included, the proportion of equity financing needed to boost the banks share capital to appreciable levels in line with current economic realities will be insufficient.

Some class of share capital particularly RE, could imply the incorporation of certain fragments of "risky asset" that can be deemed unsustainable. (ref: that from the recent spate of Fx revaluation gains)
RE can be an indirect beneficiary of these sought of gains.
While this takes nothing away from the RE position of shareholders (that's sacrosanct), it would in this instance, be better not to incorporate it.

Again, by excluding these components, the CBN can seek to find the right balance on the "dislocation" between Naira asset pricing and the present economic reality. DBMs are key to finding that balance!
These key points underscores the need for banks to raise enough funds. ...they really need to and like I once said, it's actually long overdue.

To give this a bit of context; compare the Fx-N differential/PPP between the last time we had a banking sector recapitalization in 2006 (during the Soludo era) and now.
...a brief;
2006: Minimum cap requirement was N25B @ N130+/$... which is approx $193M.
2024: Proposed minimum cap requirement of N500B @ N1,300+/$ (a 9x multiple from 2006)... will be less $380M.
So the actual raise in capital base will essentially be by a multiple of 2x (380/193) when infact our currency has depreciated by over 9x (i.e 1--130/1,300) within the same timeframe.

Notice how I had only used N500B, the min cap requirement for DBMs with international spread (mainly the stronger banks) for this example. Now imagine if we zoom in on the smaller banks.
This should put to bed the debate in some quarters on whether the proposed minimum capital is too big. But for anything, I think it's even a bit small. Now imagine if the CBN allows for the incorporation of other components aside paid-up capital and share premium.
That would reduce the difference between what is required and what they have and imply less capital raise, when in reality, the banks actually need more... otherwise, the economy "might have to pay for it" sooner or later.

There's a reason no Nigerian bank is among the top 10 largest banks in the African continent. So much for the self acclaimed "African giant"!
As at 2023, the 10th on the list, South Africa's Investec Bank has a capital base of near $30B. Not sure if all the quoted banks in Nigeria can match that!
Top on the list is also South Africa's Standard Bank (group) with a capital base of $172.9B. (South Africa dominates the list with no fewer than 5 banks in the top 10)
Part of the reason for the unworthy cap base of Nigeria banks can be attributed to the many years of underpricing of banking equities. But then again, we know it's broadly a deliberate "set-up" so certain cooperate criminals in the financial services industry and their cronies can continue to thrive.
Now banking coys are surging in price. Perhaps the wide gap between RV & MV will close on their journey to real price discovery but whether that will be sustained or if it's just another flash in the pan occasioned by the planned recap exercise would be a different kettle of fish.

On a side note, I align with those who also see the recap policy as a strategic move by the CBN to continually tighten system liquidity (justified by the recent high rates in the FI market) and reduce Naira volatility by closing the gap btw capital flight and Fx inflow.
Perhaps the Naira could strengthen a bit more from current level and hopefully find a balance around it... which should help with the long desired exchange rate clarity and spur confidence towards Naira assets.

Overall, I think the policy spells good for the economy and by extension, the market.
Aside banking coys, some select asset names will do well!

CAVEAT: The entirety of this post is merely the view of the writer. ...no part of it should be inferred as an investment advice/guide.
Due diligence still applies as always.

It is well

Thanks OGG for weighing in on this.

I think we all agree on the need for recapitalization. The bone of contention is proper valuation of the existing business. Forex revaluation gains should be credited to a reserve in Equity and not to retained earnings. Retained earnings should be 100% shareholders funds.

Recapitalization is a serious business that may involve entry of new investors. I don't know what informed their decision to limit it to share capital and share premium. I expect shareholders' associations to reject this. They could have said minimum shareholders' funds #2 trillion or whatever reasonable amount they feel will compel all banks to raise money or embark on M&A.

Whatever happens though, there's money to be made. We should get more clarity with time.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by chillykelly86(m): 6:33pm On Mar 30
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 8:09pm On Mar 30
chillykelly86:

Thanks OGG for weighing in on this.

I think we all agree on the need for recapitalization. The bone of contention is proper valuation of the existing business. Forex revaluation gains should be credited to a reserve in Equity and not to retained earnings. Retained earnings should be 100% shareholders funds.

Recapitalization is a serious business that may involve entry of new investors. I don't know what informed their decision to limit it to share capital and share premium. I expect shareholders' associations to reject this. They could have said minimum shareholders' funds #2 trillion or whatever reasonable amount they feel will compel all banks to raise money or embark on M&A.

Whatever happens though, there's money to be made. We should get more clarity with time.

My Pleasure!

Actually, earnings from Fx revaluation gains can also be booked to distributable reserve like RE.

I do understand and appreciate the clamour to incorporate RE position as part of issued/paid-up capital, but I think the CBN may have decided on this clearly unorthodox approach of relying more on fresh capital injection to insure the safety of banks capital base.

The good thing is that we all agree that the planned recapitalization exercise would create an opportunity for the discerning minds.

Regards
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by onegentleguy: 8:23pm On Mar 30
chillykelly86:
https://nairametrics.com/2024/03/29/recapitalization-bankers-oppose-cbns-exclusion-of-retained-earnings-in-calculating-minimum-capital/

This article highlights some of the things I mentioned earlier.
Notice the part the reads; "With the exception of Sterling Bank, none would require additional capital raising if retained earnings were recognized as part of share capital."
I did state (in a previous post) that incorporating the RE component would reduce the difference between what is required and what they have and imply little or no capital raise, when in reality, the banks actually need more funding... otherwise, the economy "might have to pay for it" sooner or later.

Also notice the part that reads; "It seems that the Central Bank is prioritizing direct capital injections into banks rather than relying on accounting entries to satisfy recapitalization requirements."
This is very true!

I also agree with the writer's assertion that; "Although the Central Bank has permitted mergers and acquisitions, this suggests it anticipates that some banks might struggle to meet the new capital requirements"
This is the part I dislike about the whole exercise. It smacks off of biase on the part of the apex bank. (think @ Frangel also mentioned this)
Not fair that a bank like UNITY and her likes would have to "dine from the same table" as GTCO, ZENITH, ACCESS etc.

Enough of the recap policy talk.
As always, the focus should be on how to tap from the opportunities it will present/create.
We'll see how the market reacts to the policy in the course of time.

It is well

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by sterlingD(m): 9:08pm On Mar 30
CHAMS
https://doclib.ngxgroup.com/Financial_NewsDocs/40763_CHAMS_HOLDING_COMPANY_PLC-_QUARTER_5_-_FINANCIAL_STATEMENT_FOR_2023_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2024.pdf

BUA FOOD
https://doclib.ngxgroup.com/Financial_NewsDocs/40759_BUA_FOODS_PLC-_QUARTER_5_-_FINANCIAL_STATEMENT_FOR_2023_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2024.pdf

BETA GLASS
https://doclib.ngxgroup.com/Financial_NewsDocs/40757_BETA_GLASS_PLC-_QUARTER_5_-_FINANCIAL_STATEMENT_FOR_2023_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2024.pdf

OKOMU OIL
https://doclib.ngxgroup.com/Financial_NewsDocs/40755_OKOMU_OIL_PALM_PLC.-_QUARTER_5_-_FINANCIAL_STATEMENT_FOR_2023_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2024.pdf

RT BRISCOE
https://doclib.ngxgroup.com/Financial_NewsDocs/40746_R_T_BRISCOE_(NIGERIA)_PLC.-_QUARTER_5_-_FINANCIAL_STATEMENT_FOR_2023_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2024.pdf

NEIMETH
https://doclib.ngxgroup.com/Financial_NewsDocs/40749_NEIMETH_INTERNATIONAL_PHARMACEUTICALS_PLC-_QUARTER_5_-_FINANCIAL_STATEMENT_FOR_2023_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2024.pdf

UNION DICON SALT
https://doclib.ngxgroup.com/Financial_NewsDocs/40751_UNION_DICON_SALT_PLC.-_QUARTER_5_-_FINANCIAL_STATEMENT_FOR_2023_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2024.pdf

INTERNATIONAL BREWERIES
https://doclib.ngxgroup.com/Financial_NewsDocs/40765_INTERNATIONAL_BREWERIES_PLC.-_QUARTER_5_-_FINANCIAL_STATEMENT_FOR_2023_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2024.pdf

RONCHESS GLOBAL
https://doclib.ngxgroup.com/Financial_NewsDocs/40769_RONCHESS_GLOBAL_RESOURCES_PLC-_QUARTER_5_-_FINANCIAL_STATEMENT_FOR_2023_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2024.pdf

OMATEK VENTURES
https://doclib.ngxgroup.com/Financial_NewsDocs/40770_OMATEK_VENTURES_PLC-_QUARTER_5_-_FINANCIAL_STATEMENT_FOR_2023_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2024.pdf

FTN COCOA
https://doclib.ngxgroup.com/Financial_NewsDocs/40754_FTN_COCOA_PROCESSORS_PLC-_QUARTER_5_-_FINANCIAL_STATEMENT_FOR_2023_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2024.pdf

SKYWAY AVIATION
https://doclib.ngxgroup.com/Financial_NewsDocs/40767_SKYWAY_AVIATION_HANDLING_COMPANY_PLC-_QUARTER_5_-_FINANCIAL_STATEMENT_FOR_2023_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2024.pdf

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Boshins: 7:24am On Mar 31
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by maishai: 9:19am On Mar 31
onegentleguy:

This article highlights some of the things I mentioned earlier.
Notice the part the reads; "With the exception of Sterling Bank, none would require additional capital raising if retained earnings were recognized as part of share capital."
I did state (in a previous post) that incorporating the RE component would reduce the difference between what is required and what they have and imply little or no capital raise, when in reality, the banks actually need more funding... otherwise, the economy "might have to pay for it" sooner or later.

Also notice the part that reads; "It seems that the Central Bank is prioritizing direct capital injections into banks rather than relying on accounting entries to satisfy recapitalization requirements."
This is very true!

I also agree with the writer's assertion that; "Although the Central Bank has permitted mergers and acquisitions, this suggests it anticipates that some banks might struggle to meet the new capital requirements"
This is the part I dislike about the whole exercise. It smacks off of biase on the part of the apex bank. (think @ Frangel also mentioned this)
Not fair that a bank like UNITY and it's likes would have to "dine from the same table" as GTCO, ZENITH, ACCESS etc.

Enough of the recap policy talk.
As always, the focus should be on how to tap from the opportunities it will present/create.
We'll see how the market reacts to the policy in the course of time.

It is well

Sometimes in recent past I was privy to a set of lawyers that negotiate big ticket transactions.....I was made to understand that the likes of Gt, ACCESS and ZENITH being muscled out of big ticket transactions by the likes Citi in the Nigerian space is becoming imminent........

This recapitalization exercise is a way out for our banks to breathe again because even with at least 10% local content policy,if they are poorly funded they cannot participate in some Hugh transactions in oil and gas, communications and digital economy......

Anyway, it's still the likes of citi, standard and Morgan that will still inject their funds into the banks through proxies........

All in all, money is being made and will be made, its just being privy to good information and making a good analysis and coming out with an informed judgement

The next 24 -36months will create billions that will trickle down to retail investors like me

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Boshins: 10:22am On Mar 31
maishai:

Sometimes in recent past I was privy to a set of lawyers that negotiate big ticket transactions.....I was made to understand that the likes of Gt, ACCESS and ZENITH being muscled out of big ticket transactions by the likes Citi in the Nigerian space is becoming imminent........

This recapitalization exercise is a way out for our banks to breathe again because even with at least 10% local content policy,if they are poorly funded they cannot participate in some Hugh transactions in oil and gas, communications and digital economy......

Anyway, it's still the likes of citi, standard and Morgan that will still inject their funds into the banks through proxies........

All in all, money is being made and will be made, its just being privy to good information and making a good analysis and coming out with an informed judgement

The next 24 -36months will create billions that will trickle down to retail investors like
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by yMcy56(f): 2:31pm On Mar 31
Happy Easter to all!
Let's not forget the message of Easter.....which is message of God's love and Salvation to the world. 😊

Meanwhile, TRANSCORP POWER is out!
- Dividend of 23.46bn declared for 2023 FYE
- More than half of this goes to TRANSCORP PLC

https://doclib.ngxgroup.com/Financial_NewsDocs/40773_TRANSCORP_POWER_PLC-_QUARTER_5_-_FINANCIAL_STATEMENT_FOR_2023_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2024.pdf

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ogoo4real: 3:18pm On Mar 31
yMcy56:
Happy Easter to all!
Let's not forget the message of Easter.....which is message of God's love and Salvation to the world. 😊

https://doclib.ngxgroup.com/Financial_NewsDocs/40773_TRANSCORP_POWER_PLC-_QUARTER_5_-_FINANCIAL_STATEMENT_FOR_2023_FINANCIAL_STATEMENTS_MARCH_2024.pdf

"More than half of this goes to Transcorp PLC" Please explain further for us @yMcy56
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mpeace(m): 3:24pm On Mar 31
yMcy56:
Happy Easter to all!

Abeg make una break down the result. I see eps of 92.25 from 30billion Profit after tax. I thought their OS is 7.5billion. How eps come climb to 92naira?

Dividend fit be like N3. (I no want laf)

Btw transcorp have been chopping this kind dividend yet paying 2kobo to its shareholders yearly.

Mind you transcorp have so far sold units of transpower worth over 100billion on the floor of the exchange. Abeg make them share that one for us.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mpeace(m): 3:30pm On Mar 31
ogoo4real:

"More than half of this goes to Transcorp PLC" Please explain further for us @yMcy56
Transcorp owns 51% stake in transpower.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:18pm On Mar 31
Mpeace:
Abeg make una break down the result. I see eps of 92.25 from 30billion Profit after tax. I thought their OS is 7.5billion. How eps come climb to 92naira?

Btw transcorp have been chopping this kind dividend yet paying 2kobo to its shareholders yearly.

Mind you transcorp have so far sold units of transpower worth over 100billion on the floor of the exchange. Abeg make them share that one for us.

EPS of N4.00k.

Divide N30 billion by the outstanding shares of 7.5 billion
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by ExcessKJ(m): 4:36pm On Mar 31
Mpeace:

This is how the company arrived at an EPS of N92. It's quite surprising - this method. Perhaps I am new to this enterprise. Generally, I believe EPS should be calculated by Net income after tax÷share outstanding, but Transpower did Net income after tax ÷weighted average number of shares in issue during the year

@yMcy56 and others please 🙏 provide more clarifications

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Mpeace(m): 4:37pm On Mar 31
emmanuelewumi:

EPS of N4.00k.

But the result says otherwise

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:40pm On Mar 31
Mpeace:
But the result says otherwise

Get your calculator and crunch the figures don't rely on everything given to you by management

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by SonofElElyonRet: 4:41pm On Mar 31
emmanuelewumi:

EPS of N4.00k.

The results clearly say N92.25k eps

Can someone help explain the interim dividend declared for 2022 and 2023...
*why interim?
*will new shareholders who bought after listing on the stock market be entitled to both 2022 and 2023 interim dividends?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:53pm On Mar 31
This is the current outstanding shares of Transcorp Power. Which is 7.5 billion

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:54pm On Mar 31
I wonder why they decided to use a lower outstanding shares. Maybe to deceive the uninformed investors

Probably the outstanding shares prior to the listing of the company's shares was used, this is wrong

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:56pm On Mar 31
Pioneer shareholders usually allocate generous bonus shares to themselves few weeks before the listing of the company's shares

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:00pm On Mar 31
Transcorp Power had about 80 million shares before listing, bonus shares given to pioneer shareholders increased the shares to 7.5 billion.

But the company decided to use 80 million shares for their EPS calculation instead of 7.5 billion which is the current outstanding shares of the company

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:08pm On Mar 31
The Koko be say, invest with figures

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Hogwarthtrades: 5:18pm On Mar 31
Happy Easter everyone.!. have a restful evening and tomorrow because like play like play q1 is done and dusted. q2 here we come.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by leparj(m): 5:51pm On Mar 31
Africa Prudential Reg dividend just
entered.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Coolcash1: 5:52pm On Mar 31
The EPS as stated in Transcorp Power Plc financials, was calculated based on weighted average of ordinary shares.

This denominator is always used whenever there is a change in the ordinary shares of a company during the year by way of issuance of new shares, bonus issue, stock split, treasury stock or reverse stock split as it takes into cognizance timing effect of those changes.

In the case of Transcorp Power, if you go to notes 25.1 and 25.2 in the FS, additional information was provided on the changes in its shareholding structure which impacted on the EPS calculation. Towards the end of Q4-2023, additional shares of over 7.4billion were issued and also there was a bonus issue of 5.25million shares taken up by shareholders during the year.

Whilst the period of issuance of the new shares was provided, that of the script issue was not hence making it challenging to calculate and arrive at the weighted average number of shares used for the EPS.

To all newbies, note that EPS is best calculated based on Weighted Average of Ordinary Shares which may equal Total number of outstanding ordinary shares or issued ordinary shares provided there is no adjustment to its shareholding during the year.

Hope this helps….. grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Coolcash1: 5:58pm On Mar 31
Adinije:
DS on full offer? Any -ve news ni

No negative news….The big boys want to shake out weak hands. So, if you’ve the funds buy more especially when you see the price below N50… grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by Frangel: 6:23pm On Mar 31
SonofElElyonRet:

The results clearly say N92.25k eps

Can someone help explain the interim dividend declared for 2022 and 2023...
*why interim?
*will new shareholders who bought after listing on the stock market be entitled to both 2022 and 2023 interim dividends?

The interim dividends are to the pre-listing shareholders. N247.07 per share for 2023. Note 29. Also see Note 20.2.

Dilutive EPS is about N4. Should have been indicated. The new shares came from existing share premium account. Just accounting entries.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by BabsO2(m): 6:25pm On Mar 31
leparj:
Africa Prudential Reg dividend just
entered.

Has it. I have not got it.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by dangle: 6:32pm On Mar 31
Transcorp Power PLC was listed in March 2024 on NGX by way of introduction. Hence it was not captured in the 2023 audited report. It is an event that happened in 2024, which will be captured in their Q1 2024.

However, I feel strongly that those who have bought into it will receive the meagre dividend as long as they have bought it on or before the chosen future qualification day.

My 2 kobo understanding of the issue.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts by leparj(m): 7:12pm On Mar 31
BabsO2:

Has it. I have not got it.

Yes o.
You will soon.
Came into my Access Bank this evening.
It was a pleasant surprise since I wasn't
expecting it again till after the holiday on
Tues.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7684) (7685) (7686) (7687) (7688) (7689) (7690) ... (7749) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: dangle, ositadima1(m), lasisi(m), SAK, Curiouscity(m), emmasoft(m), Boshins, 9free(m), defebe, Emumakpo, KayOn1 and 21 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.