Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,924 members, 7,863,254 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 01:51 PM

If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? (5839 Views)

How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One / If Your Religion Is True, Why Is It Full Of False Statements? / What Would Make You Change Your Religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by mazaje(m): 5:52pm On Dec 14, 2012
Mr_Anony:
As I said, you are running on faulty presumptions. I repeat: I have never met any Christian who doesn't pray for God's will above his/her own!
Secondly, how do you know that they know that they will die? have you recently picked up mind reading as a hobby?

I repeat I am not. What you have boldly stated is nothing buy rhetoric. Christians say many things but never do it in REALITY. I have many first hand experience, my aunt who is an end of day enthusiast, recently died of breast cancer, even when every body knew she was going to die, she and all those around her were busy carrying her from one prayer house to another for a miracle so that she can live instead of praying for her to die a fast a painless death so that she can go and be with her sweet Jesus. . .We see this things happening all the time and all round us. . .I have seen christians at various times that are faced with death cry and pray for mercy, i was once involved in an accident that claimed the lives of some of the people we were travelling with and they were all shouting Jesus, Jesus in essence they were calling on him to save their lives. . .We see these things happen all the time, christians do NOT pray for a fast and painless death when they are facing death instead they always pray for mercy to live. . .If you deny that fact then I know that you are just hear to argue aimlessly. . .

As I said, a Christian wants to live to declare the glory of God and win more into the kingdom, and we also want to see His face so if He says "Come back home my son, you have finished your race." With great joy we will return to Him and if He grants us longer life on earth, we will use that time to continue to proclaim His Goodness. It is all about His will and not ours. Our purpose is to do the will of our Father.

And when did any god ever appear to any christian telling him to come back my son you have finished your race?. . .I don't have time for such mythical talks, i only deal with reality and the reality is that no matter how sick christians are when they are faced with death they ALWAYS pray to their god to heal them and make them live despite their shameless claim of wanting to go and be with their god. . .The claim that christians want to live and decleare the glory of their god is a baseless claim when faced with death they cry and beg for to live. . .

Lol, you are still carrying on assuming that we are afraid of death. No we are not. The reason why you can't understand it is because your heart is by nature selfish so you expect a christian to want to die once he/she has been saved because that is the kind of thing you would do.

Firstly christians are not saved from anything. . .According to muslims they are saved as well, no?. . .The fact that NO christian that is faced with death that i know has ever prayed for the death to come quickly but prayed to live says you do not even know what you are talking about. . .If you are faced with death and window to live is offered you, I KNOW you will chose to live despite you ridiculous mythical claims and belief in an after life that is much better than the life you are living. . .Christians have clearly demonstrated that they do not truly believe in the after life because you can not claim you arenot afraid of death but when you face it you cry and beg for mercy and chose life. . .

Praying that God gives us long life is not because we are scared of death. If God wills it we will live long and proclaim His glory and if He wills that we come home to Him, then we will go rejoicing. It is all about God not us.

You are clearly lying and you do not know what you are talking about. . .Praying for long life means you do not want to die simple. . .If it is all about your god's will then why do you christians all over the world pray for healing when faced with terminal illnesses?. . .The fact that their fatherly god whom they claim is in a personal relationship with them sits and allows the terminal illness infect them shows that it is his will for them. why don't they just sit back and pray for a speedy and painless death instead of running form one prayer house or hospital to another seeking for sure over something that will eventually kill them?. . .You are just typing because you want to write something because your arguments are just pointless. . .

Show me one Christian from the bible who begged for his/her life when faced with death. Also show me one Christian from the bible who prayed for a speedy and painless death. There are none! But I can show you from scripture a good number of Christians who submitted their lives to God even on to the point of death. I wonder from whence you invented these "christians" you are talking about.

You have started with this shenanigans of yours. . .What business do I have with the mostly mythical characters of the bible that may or may not have existed?. . .I am talking about the christians around me and you are trying to draw me to your turf of mythology and legendary characters who might or might not have existed?. . .I am talking about reality and the christians we see around. Which of the biblical christians have you ever meet in your life?. . .NON I know or have ever heard of has ever prayed for a speedy death when faced with death. All pray for life when faced with death. Even you, if you are faced with death you will chose life if you are offered the opportunity. . .

Lol, of course mazaje knows this for sure because only last week mazaje held a gun to anony's head and witnessed him crying to God to save his life.

I don't believe in god but I hope you die tomorrow so that you can go to heaven and be with Jesus and the angles for all eternity. . .Say amen to it. . .
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Dec 14, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I'm afraid I don't understand what you said here. Care to expand on it or rephrase it.

I will be most delighted to my good sir anonymous. (I hope u understand what I've been saying so farcheesy?).

Have u by any chance visited this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/1119106/two-days-left-christians-praying
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by 2good(m): 6:18pm On Dec 14, 2012
Mr_Anony:
As I said, you are running on faulty presumptions. I repeat: I have never met any Christian who doesn't pray for God's will above his/her own!
Secondly, how do you know that they know that they will die? have you recently picked up mind reading as a hobby?

As I said, a Christian wants to live to declare the glory of God and win more into the kingdom, and we also want to see His face so if He says "Come back home my son, you have finished your race." With great joy we will return to Him and if He grants us longer life on earth, we will use that time to continue to proclaim His Goodness. It is all about His will and not ours. Our purpose is to do the will of our Father.

Lol, you are still carrying on assuming that we are afraid of death. No we are not. The reason why you can't understand it is because your heart is by nature selfish so you expect a christian to want to die once he/she has been saved because that is the kind of thing you would do.

Praying that God gives us long life is not because we are scared of death. If God wills it we will live long and proclaim His glory and if He wills that we come home to Him, then we will go rejoicing. It is all about God not us.

Show me one Christian from the bible who begged for his/her life when faced with death. Also show me one Christian from the bible who prayed for a speedy and painless death. There are none! But I can show you from scripture a good number of Christians who submitted their lives to God even on to the point of death. I wonder from whence you invented these "christians" you are talking about.

Lol, of course mazaje knows this for sure because only last week mazaje held a gun to anony's head and witnessed him crying to God to save his life.

You're completely making no sense. Try to be atleast 20% rational in your response. I know that religion makes even the best educated man to throw away logic just to defend their blind faith but yours is really to the extreme.
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by mazaje(m): 6:35pm On Dec 14, 2012
2good:

You're completely making no sense. Try to be atleast 20% rational in your response. I know that religion makes even the best educated man to throw away logic just to defend their blind faith but yours is really to the extreme.

I wonder why he must reply when he doesn't have anything meaningful to say. . .
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by MrAnony1(m): 6:46pm On Dec 14, 2012
inurmind:

I will be most delighted to my good sir anonymous. (I hope u understand what I've been saying so farcheesy?).

Have u by any chance visited this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/1119106/two-days-left-christians-praying

......Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written:
‘He shall give His angels charge over you,’
and,
‘In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.’ ”

Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall not tempt the Lord your God.’ ”

Matthew 4:5-7
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by MrAnony1(m): 6:49pm On Dec 14, 2012
mazaje:

I repeat I am not. What you have boldly stated is nothing buy rhetoric. Christians say many things but never do it in REALITY. I have many first hand experience, my aunt who is an end of day enthusiast, recently died of breast cancer, even when every body knew she was going to die, she and all those around her were busy carrying her from one prayer house to another for a miracle so that she can live instead of praying for her to die a fast a painless death so that she can go and be with her sweet Jesus. . .We see this things happening all the time and all round us. . .I have seen christians at various times that are faced with death cry and pray for mercy, i was once involved in an accident that claimed the lives of some of the people we were travelling with and they were all shouting Jesus, Jesus in essence they were calling on him to save their lives. . .We see these things happen all the time, christians do NOT pray for a fast and painless death when they are facing death instead they always pray for mercy to live. . .If you deny that fact then I know that you are just hear to argue aimlessly. . .

And when did any god ever appear to any christian telling him to come back my son you have finished your race?. . .I don't have time for such mythical talks, i only deal with reality and the reality is that no matter how sick christians are when they are faced with death they ALWAYS pray to their god to heal them and make them live despite their shameless claim of wanting to go and be with their god. . .The claim that christians want to live and decleare the glory of their god is a baseless claim when faced with death they cry and beg for to live. . .

Firstly christians are not saved from anything. . .According to muslims they are saved as well, no?. . .The fact that NO christian that is faced with death that i know has ever prayed for the death to come quickly but prayed to live says you do not even know what you are talking about. . .If you are faced with death and window to live is offered you, I KNOW you will chose to live despite you ridiculous mythical claims and belief in an after life that is much better than the life you are living. . .Christians have clearly demonstrated that they do not truly believe in the after life because you can not claim you arenot afraid of death but when you face it you cry and beg for mercy and chose life. . .

You are clearly lying and you do not know what you are talking about. . .Praying for long life means you do not want to die simple. . .If it is all about your god's will then why do you christians all over the world pray for healing when faced with terminal illnesses?. . .The fact that their fatherly god whom they claim is in a personal relationship with them sits and allows the terminal illness infect them shows that it is his will for them. why don't they just sit back and pray for a speedy and painless death instead of running form one prayer house or hospital to another seeking for sure over something that will eventually kill them?. . .You are just typing because you want to write something because your arguments are just pointless. . .

You have started with this shenanigans of yours. . .What business do I have with the mostly mythical characters of the bible that may or may not have existed?. . .I am talking about the christians around me and you are trying to draw me to your turf of mythology and legendary characters who might or might not have existed?. . .I am talking about reality and the christians we see around. Which of the biblical christians have you ever meet in your life?. . .NON I know or have ever heard of has ever prayed for a speedy death when faced with death. All pray for life when faced with death. Even you, if you are faced with death you will chose life if you are offered the opportunity. . .

I don't believe in god but I hope you die tomorrow so that you can go to heaven and be with Jesus and the angles for all eternity. . .Say amen to it. . .
Yawn....of course once again as usual your argument boils down to. "I don't agree with you, therefore you are lying".....nothing new here.
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by MrAnony1(m): 6:52pm On Dec 14, 2012
2good:

Lol, you have made no point. . . .just thrown out yet another empty allegation like your pals have been throwing. Nothing new there.
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Dec 14, 2012
Mr_Anony:

......Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written:
‘He shall give His angels charge over you,’
and,
‘In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.’ ”

Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall not tempt the Lord your God.’ ”

Matthew 4:5-7

lol!
That's the only verse u have to defend cowardice.
I have tons to defend me, especially the contest on mount camel: let ur god prove he is superior to those play things villagers worship.

Besides, have u ever bothered to ask yourself why jesus said that?
I mean, even if he dived and angels caught him, what victory would it give to the devil?
How is that even a temptation?
Seems more like a test?
And yeah, they are different.
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by MrAnony1(m): 12:03am On Dec 15, 2012
inurmind:

lol!
That's the only verse u have to defend cowardice.
I have tons to defend me, especially the contest on mount camel: let ur god prove he is superior to those play things villagers worship.

Besides, have u ever bothered to ask yourself why jesus said that?
I mean, even if he dived and angels caught him, what victory would it give to the devil?
How is that even a temptation?
Seems more like a test?
And yeah, they are different.

Well I am not surprised. The devil did this "if you are a child of God" test many centuries ago (and surprise surprise, he quoted scripture to back it up too) so what you are trying to do is nothing new. God is not subject to your whims.

1 Like

Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by mazaje(m): 12:08am On Dec 15, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Well I am not surprised. The devil did this "if you are a child of God" test many centuries ago (and surprise surprise, he quoted scripture to back it up too) so what you are trying to do is nothing new. God is not subject to your whims.

The same god was subject to elijah's whims, no?. . .Same god was all over the place fighting along side humans and addressing them through public speech in the pages of story books, no?. . .Even today we have christians that claim they summon god at will and he comes and speaks to them eg pastor Adeboye of redeem. . . .
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by mazaje(m): 12:09am On Dec 15, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Yawn....of course once again as usual your argument boils down to. "I don't agree with you, therefore you are lying".....nothing new here.

Actually you have clearly shown that you replies were just made not to adress anything in a meaningful way just just because you wanted to say something regardles of how meaningless it was. . .

1 Like

Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by Nobody: 2:30am On Dec 15, 2012
Why does Anony feel guilty?
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by MrAnony1(m): 5:08am On Dec 15, 2012
mazaje:

Actually you have clearly shown that you replies were just made not to adress anything in a meaningful way just just because you wanted to say something regardles of how meaningless it was. . .
Actually, that's how I would describe your arguments funny enough

mazaje:

The same god was subject to elijah's whims, no?. . .Same god was all over the place fighting along side humans and addressing them through public speech in the pages of story books, no?. . .Even today we have christians that claim they summon god at will and he comes and speaks to them eg pastor Adeboye of redeem. . . .
All you have to do now is show us from the bible one instance where Elijah or anyone else forced God to do something against His will, failure to do this will tell us all that you are lying.
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by MrAnony1(m): 5:10am On Dec 15, 2012
Logicboy03: Why does Anony feel guilty?
Another conjecture. You can add this ad hominen to your list of yet unproven allegations.
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by wiegraf: 5:15am On Dec 15, 2012
mazaje:

This is always funny.
Repelled by people in iron chariots. It seems like god was still living in the stone age and was unaware of advances in the sciences...
I wonder how surprised he was when he first came across iron. If he were going to apply god of the gaps to that creation, how that would work?
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by wiegraf: 5:16am On Dec 15, 2012
Mr_Anony:

All you have to do now is show us from the bible one instance where Elijah or anyone else forced God to do something against His will, failure to do this will tell us all that you are lying.

Not strictly related, but I wonder if any xtians have been able to, via prayer or whatever means, change the mind of an omniscient being?
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by MrAnony1(m): 6:04am On Dec 15, 2012
wiegraf:

Not strictly related, but I wonder if any xtians have been able to, via prayer or whatever means, change the mind of an omniscient being?
keep wondering
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by wiegraf: 6:21am On Dec 15, 2012
Mr_Anony:
keep wondering
Cold anony is cold...

Ok, wondering....
Wondering....
Wondering....
Alas, I haven't been able to come up with a solution. So now I am asking you if you know any xtians who have via prayer or otherwise changed the mind of your omniscient god? Is it possible to do so?
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by MrAnony1(m): 7:11am On Dec 15, 2012
wiegraf:
Cold anony is cold...

Ok, wondering....
Wondering....
Wondering....
Alas, I haven't been able to come up with a solution. So now I am asking you if you know any xtians who have via prayer or otherwise changed the mind of your omniscient god? Is it possible to do so?
The first thing you need to understand is what prayer is and what omniscience is.

First: Omniscience means all-knowing and not all-doing. Nothing about omniscience implies a fixed future run of events. You may consider omniscience as the ability to know all possible outcomes of an event and all the permutations and combinations of all possible events.

Secondly: Prayer is talking to God the same way a child talks to his father. It is not some sort of magical incantation to control the universe. It is sometimes pleading with the owner of the universe to grant you a favour and if He wills it, He may answer "Yes", "No" or "Not yet" or "Do x instead" all according to His will. Since He knows all things, He will never make the wrong decision.

I don't know of any Christian who prays against God's will.
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by Nobody: 7:19am On Dec 15, 2012
Mr_Anony:
The first thing you need to understand is what prayer is and what omniscience is.

First: Omniscience means all-knowing and not all-doing. Nothing about omniscience implies a fixed future run of events. You may consider omniscience as the ability to know all possible outcomes of an event and all the permutations and combinations of all possible events.

Secondly: Prayer is talking to God the same way a child talks to his father. It is not some sort of magical incantation to control the universe. It is sometimes pleading with the owner of the universe to grant you a favour and if He wills it, He may answer "Yes", "No" or "Not yet" or "Do x instead" all according to His will. Since He knows all things, He will never make the wrong decision.

Ah, so now when someone prays to be healed of a terminal disease (meaning that he is trying to avoid the all the possible outcomes in which he dies) isnt that clearly showing that the person is trying to change God's will?
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by Nobody: 7:29am On Dec 15, 2012
Mr_Anony:

U didn't answer my latter questions of what the devil will be gaining and what god will be losing by passing the test.
Unless u think he will fail it ofcoursewink
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by MrAnony1(m): 7:31am On Dec 15, 2012
Logicboy03:

Ah, so now when someone prays to be healed of a terminal disease (meaning that he is trying to avoid the all the possible outcomes in which he dies) isnt that clearly showing that the person is trying to change God's will?
If God can heal a terminal disease easily (in other words, all possible outcomes don't result in death), how then do you come to the conclusion that a terminal disease means that it is God's will that the sufferer dies?
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by MrAnony1(m): 7:33am On Dec 15, 2012
inurmind:

U didn't answer my latter questions of what the devil will be gaining and what god will be losing by passing the test.
Unless u think he will fail it ofcoursewink
Perhaps you should ask the devil what he hoped to gain by asking the question in the first place.....or maybe you can tell me what the devil hoped to gain.
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by Nobody: 7:36am On Dec 15, 2012
Mr_Anony:
If God can heal a terminal disease easily (in other words, all possible outcomes don't result in death), how then do you come to the conclusion that a terminal disease means that it is God's will that the sufferer dies?

You started your sentence with "if". An assumption not based on reality.

I used a terminal disease, so that I could trap you into making the false assumption that God can heal terminal diseases.

A smarter apologist would have avoided using such a failed argument because the main issue here is not the terminal disease, the issue here is a fixed outcome. I could replace "terminal disease" with "falling from a skyscraper or plane without a parachute" to show that impending death is inevitable.
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by Nobody: 7:38am On Dec 15, 2012
wiegraf:

Not strictly related, but I wonder if any xtians have been able to, via prayer or whatever means, change the mind of an omniscient being?[/quote

2 Kings 20[quote author=Mr_Anony]

In those days Hezekiah became ill and was at the point of death. The prophet Isaiah son of Amoz went to him and said, “This is what the Lord says: Put your house in order, because you are going to die; you will not recover.”

2 Hezekiah turned his face to the wall and prayed to the Lord, 3 “Remember, Lord, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes.” And Hezekiah wept bitterly.

4 Before Isaiah had left the middle court, the word of the Lord came to him: 5 “Go back and tell Hezekiah, the ruler of my people, ‘This is what the Lord, the God of your father David, says: I have heard your prayer and seen your tears; I will heal you. On the third day from now you will go up to the temple of the Lord. 6 I will add fifteen years to your life. And I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria. I will defend this city for my sake and for the sake of my servant David.’”

Mr_Anony:
If all possible outcomes don't result in death, then what's the point of prayer? You should really stop stepping into the shoes of God. You keep burning yourself.

39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”
Was Jesus fully aware of God's will?
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by MrAnony1(m): 7:49am On Dec 15, 2012
Logicboy03:

You started your sentence with "if". An assumption not based on reality.

I used a terminal disease, so that I could trap you into making the false assumption that God can heal terminal diseases.

A smarter apologist would have avoided using such a failed argument because the main issue here is not the terminal disease, the issue here is a fixed outcome. I could replace "terminal disease" with "falling from a skyscraper or plane without a parachute" to show that death is inevitable.
How do you think? the word "If" as used here is not a "maybe" I was simply presenting my argument in a logical way so that you could follow it (sadly you didn't)

Compare with this argument: "if 1+2=3 then where x=2, x+1=3." x by definition here is =2 therefore x+1 can only be 3. If x on the other hand is not equal to 2, then x+1 won't be equal to 3.

Now by definition, God can heal every disease therefore insinuating that a "terminal disease" is impossible for God to reverse is a terrible logical blunder unless you are referring to some other entity other than God. Even "falling from a skyscraper" or "skydiving without a parachute" are equally easily reversible by God.
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by Nobody: 7:50am On Dec 15, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Perhaps you should ask the devil what he hoped to gain by asking the question in the first place.....or maybe you can tell me what the devil hoped to gain.

I can tell u what I hope to gain by testing ur faith: proving the non-existence of ur god, or perhaps, proving ur own atheistic tendencies by ur fear to even try to confirm his existence.
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by Nobody: 8:05am On Dec 15, 2012
Mr_Anony:
How do you think? the word "If" as used here is not a "maybe" I was simply presenting my argument in a logical way so that you could follow it (sadly you didn't)

Compare with this argument: "if 1+2=3 then where x=2, x+1=3." x by definition here is =2 therefore x+1 can only be 3. If x on the other hand is not equal to 2, then x+1 won't be equal to 3.

Now by definition, God can heal every disease therefore insinuating that a "terminal disease" is impossible for God to reverse is a terrible logical blunder unless you are referring to some other entity other than God. Even "falling from a skyscraper" or "skydiving without a parachute" are equally easily reversible by God.

We know basic maths

1+2 = 3

The above addition is a known outcome and fact unlike God doing some miraculous magic- which is not a provable fact or known outcome. We dont need to qualify the addition with "if". You have to qualify your God's action with "if" because it is not a provable fact.

Back to the main point.

The Time of Useful Consciousness is a function of altitude. At 20,000 feet, an average individual will have 5 to 12 minutes. At 25,000 feet, this time is reduced to 3 to 5 minutes. At 30,000 feet only 1 to 2 minutes are available. By 40,000 feet, the average individual will have only 9 to 15 seconds (basically this represents the oxygen that was in their system before the exposure to 40,000 feet).

Imagine falling from 30,000 feet with nothing. No matter how hard you pray, you are dead.

Praying would be asking for god to change his will in the inevitable outcome that you are going to die. God intelligently (or foolishly) designed the atmosphere to contain less osygen at certain alititudes. He would be negating his design and every possible outcome to save one from that predicament.

#debunked
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by MrAnony1(m): 8:11am On Dec 15, 2012
musKeeto: If all possible outcomes don't result in death, then what's the point of prayer? You should really stop stepping into the shoes of God. You keep burning yourself.
First of all, i don't step into God's shoes. They are way too big for me.

Now let us look at your question:
..........When you ask your father for money for school fees. All possible outcomes do not result in you gaining an education. Normally you assume it is your father's will to pay your fees but then it still remains his choice to pay or not to pay and he is justified on how he chooses to spend his money (for instance he might feel that school is not the best thing for you).

It will be the most faulty kind of thinking to say that because you asked your father and he chose to pay your fees therefore your father is subject to your will.

God is not a computer program with fixed input and output commands and responses, He is a Person. Prayer stems from a relationship with this Person. God is not under any obligation to answer prayer. He answers because He loves us not because it is His duty to make our wishes come true.

Don't make the mistake of trying to deny God the power of choice just so that you can fit Him into your toolbox.

musKeeto: Was Jesus fully aware of God's will?
Yes He was.
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by MrAnony1(m): 8:17am On Dec 15, 2012
inurmind:

I can tell u what I hope to gain by testing ur faith: proving the non-existence of ur god, or perhaps, proving ur own atheistic tendencies by ur fear to even try to confirm his existence.
I would deduce that that was more or less about the same thing the devil hoped to gain. Unlike you however, he wasn't foolish enough to come to the conclusion that because Jesus didn't do the magic tricks he was demanding, it therefore automatically meant that He was afraid to prove that He is the Son of God
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by MrAnony1(m): 8:23am On Dec 15, 2012
Logicboy03:

We know basic maths

1+2 = 3

The above addition is a known outcome and fact unlike God doing some miraculous magic- which is not a provable fact or known outcome. We dont need to qualify the addition with "if". You have to qualify your God's action with "if" because it is not a provable fact.

Back to the main point.
Logic is truly lost you.

Imagine falling from 30,000 feet with nothing. No matter how hard you pray, you are dead.

Praying would be asking for god to change his will in the inevitable outcome that you are going to die. God intelligently (or foolishly) designed the atmosphere to contain less osygen at certain alititudes. He would be negating his design and every possible outcome to save one from that predicament.

#debunked
You have made a very wrong assumption here as usual. I don't know how you came to the conclusion that God cannot tweak His design to save a life if He chooses to.
Re: If Your Religion Is True, Why Do You Then Feel Guilty? by wiegraf: 8:30am On Dec 15, 2012
An addendum to what has already been said by the good floor

Mr_Anony:

So what are you saying here, he knows all the possible outcomes but does not know which specific one will occur? Is that your definition of omniscience?

Mr_Anony:

You say it's not some sort of magic to control the universe, then why oh why the pleading if it's futile? Can you influence his decision making or not? Muskeetos quote seems to indicate so.

Again, if you can't change its mind why the waste of resources praying to it?

Can god change its own mind? If yes, what does that imply to its omniscience? If no, what does that imply to it's free will.

Though of course we'd need to finish coming up with a proper definition for omniscience first.

Knowing all things does not necessarily mean he would make the 'right' decisions, but we could leave that for now. Come back later

Mr_Anony:

You know god's will, yet you've never been able to give us cogent reasons for the evil in the world or his many atrocities? Or do you know what his will was in those cases as well? You understand an entity you've stated in the past no one can truly understand? Therefore as a result of that we should just accept that the surplus evil in the universe is for a 'good' cause beyond our level of comprehension? Then can you please give a reason for the presence of evil, natural evil in particular?

Also, as usual, do you speak for all xtians?

And you seem to be implying nothing can go against god's will, everything is according to his will. If so, what does that mean for our own free will?

There's probably more, but this will do, for now.. We probably have to settle your definition of omniscience first though..
And time, I shouldn't be here. How was your presentation anyways?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Holy Rosary Is A Powerful Prayer / Many Pastors & Christians Will Be Left Behind On Rapture Day! / Will Religion One Day Become History?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.