Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Razor Tongue: A Story - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Razor Tongue: A Story (49428 Views)

Class Clash- A story about love and family background/status / The University Village - A Story / Nairaland - Making A Story Out Of This Forum. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by cigaricon(m): 8:56pm On Jan 06, 2013
***shouts at the peak of his voice*** SERAH WHERE ARE YOU!!! angry *coughs*
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by cigaricon(m): 9:00pm On Jan 06, 2013
***at the peak of his voice*** SERAH WHERE ARE YOU!!! angry *coughs*
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Betgal(f): 8:04am On Jan 07, 2013
Serah, pls continue dis story nah.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Wendyphil(f): 9:27am On Jan 07, 2013
Sarah plsss.......,complete dis story!
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jan 07, 2013
Please accept my apologies.

The story continues right now!
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jan 07, 2013
Part Seven

Dorcas made her way into the sitting room. She found Boma and Edidiong watching a movie on a Dstv channel. She took a seat on the seatee and stared at her children. They were growing faster than she could blink. Her son who had just turned twenty-two was preparing for his NYSC programme. He had graduated with a second class upper in Chemical Engineering and her twenty year old daughter was in year three, studying Micro-biology. She and her husband had wanted them to school abroad, but they changed their minds and enrolled them in the University of Lagos and there had been no regrets so far.

"Where do you think they are going to post you?"

Boma shrugged, his attention was fixed on the television screen.

"May be they will post him to the north," Edidiong started to laugh. He hit her on the head and she cried out.

"Boma!" She gave her son a stern stare.

"Sorry mum, Edidiong has a big mouth. "

His sister eyed him and gave him a wide breth.

"I hope they post you to one of those villages where there are no electricity, pipe borne water and other social amenities."

"That's enough Didi."

She stucked out her tongue at her brother, and smiled at her mother. She likes it whenever her mum called her 'Didi'.

Imabong came in and joined his wife on the seatee.

"You have been on the system all day," she eyed him.

"Yes baby," he winked at her, " I had to chat with Douglas, remember Douglas?"

"Yes, yes, your money-hungry business associate," she rolled her eyes.

He chuckled, "The CEO of Allied Insurance daughter is getting married soon."

Dorcas looked at her husband, "Tell me you got the contract."

He beamed, "I got the contract baby." His wife leapt into his arms and kissed him.

"You are bestest husband in the world."

Boma and his sister glanced at their parents, wondering why they were acting lovey-dovey.

"It gets better baby."

"I am all ears," her excited voice filled the room.

"He wants you to plan the wedding."

Dorcas shrieked, jumped off the seatee and started dancing. Edidiong and her brother exchanged glances. What's with their parents this evening?

"Douglas has set up a meeting and it's tomorrow."

"Great! This people are loaded."

"I know baby. Aside the fat check and all that, this job will open doors for us. This could lead to the beginning of getting government contracts and all that comes with it."

She sat back on the seatee, "You are right. I am so happy. What time is the meeting?"

"Seven in the morning."

"What?!"

He shrugged. His wife got up again.

"I have to get ready. What am I going to wear. Oh my God!" She walked out of the sitting room in a hurry. Imabong chuckled and met his children's puzzled gazes.

"Your mum is okay. She is perfectly fine."

XXXXXX

Sheila sat on a cane chair in the balcony chatting with one of her course mates on her blackberry phone. School would soon resume and she had not paid her hostle fees for the new session. She was still contemplating if she wants to go back to Amina hall or move to one of the hostles outside the school's permises. She has to look for a considerate one in terms of fee. Her parents were not ready to lavish money on hostles. She remembered when she got an admission into Unilag, they had almost convinced her to go to school from home. Thank God the school gave out accommodations to first year students. Staying in Amina hall had been eventful. She had met different kind of girls from diverse backgrounds.

"What are you doing?"

She looked up and saw her mother staring at her. She didn't notice when she came in. She must have been engrossed in her own thoughts. She looked away.

"Nothing."

Eureka sat beside her daughter. Sheila shifted away a bit. What does she want now? She and her mother had not been on speaking terms since the incident at Martha's party.

"When are you going back to school?"

A frown creased her brows, why was she asking? "May be next week, may be next two weeks."

"I was disappointed when you and Martha's fiance turned her birthday party into a kissing challenge."

Sheila bursted out laughing. Her mother can be comical with words at times.

"It is not funny."

"I know mum. But you sound funny."

Eureka smiled, but it thinned away, leaving a stern expression, "I don't know what you were thinking. But, what you did was wrong. Regardless of your grievance towards your aunt, using Daniel as a weapon of pain was wicked."

She folded her arms across her chest. Her methods might have been harsh, but it drove home her point. Her aunt will think twice before crossing her path next time.
"Your father and I did not train you this way. You need to ponder on the way you relate with people, both family and strangers. Think deep... What you sow, you reap."

Sheila groaned. Here we go again. Her mother and scriptures. At least her aunt has reaped what she sowed.

"I am serious," she got up and walked out.

She was glad that her mother had made an effort to bridge the gap between them. Whenever she and her mother quarrelled, it always feel as if she was fighting and hurting herself.

XXXXXXX

"Tejumade Lewis!"

Her boss shriek echoed through the walls of their office. Lord, Lord, this woman can be a pain in the butt sometimes.

"Where is the file for Peter's sake?!"

Teju shuffled through dozens of files in the cabinet and pulled out one. She raced into her boss' office and placed it on her table.

"Set up a meeting for two, I want to see the representatives of Cashpoint firm today."

"Yes ma."

Martha returned her attention to her ipad and her personal assistant showed herself out of the office.

"Morning Teju."

She turned and came face to face with her boss' fiance.

"Oh! Morning Mr. Daniel."

"Looks like your morning has been busy."

She smiled and returned to her desk. 'Busy' was an understatement. Her morning have been catastrophic.

"I will let her know you are here," she picked up the intercom phone and called her boss. "Mr. Daniel is here to see you," she faced him, "You can go in."

"Thank you Teju," he knocked and went in.

"What can I do for you Daniel? Please make it quick, I am very busy," she placed her ipad on the table.

"You have definitely lost your manners, a 'good morning' would have been nice," he sat on one of the chairs at the table. She eyed him and remained mum.

"It's being three months Martha. We are suppossed to be planning our wedding not fighting."

She leaned back on her chair and held his pleading gaze. "What wedding?"

"Martha... We love each other, do not let Sheila come in between us. The naughty girl has even forgotten the prank she played on us. Why are we still circling this issue?"

Why has Daniel come to her work place? She has so much to do today. She can't deal with this right now.

"Can we talk about this some other time?"

"When? You have been avoiding me."

"Daniel, I am busy at the moment. I can't do this right now."

"Do you realize that your resentment towards your neice is pulling us apart?"

"My resentment?" Her voice rose. "You were the one that kissed her."

He leaned forward, "She kissed me, she distracted me long enough to plant her panties in my pocket, knowing fully well that it will hurt you. This is all a game to Sheila... But, this is our lives at stake."

Martha tore her eyes away. He was right. What Sheila did had hurt her, more than she would admit to anyone or herself. She knows that Daniel loves her and he would never do anything to hurt her. Why was she punishing him for Sheila's actions? She was transferring aggression and this is ruining her relationship. Why has she allowed her neice to get under her skin? What is she doing? She has been praying to God for a life partner, here he is, and she wants to drive him away. What is she doing?

"Whatever your issues are when it comes to Sheila, we will deal with it together. But, I am not ready to throw away what we have both worked for."

She met his undaunted gaze.

"I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

"I love you too Daniel," tears gathered in her eyes. He crossed the table and pulled her up.

"You cannot run away from me girl, you are stuck with me for life."

She smiled and leaned into his warm embrace. She must have been crazy for calling off the wedding. She will never allow Sheila to get under her skin again.

5 Likes

Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by BukkyDan(f): 10:14pm On Jan 07, 2013
Yo'! Serah, you finally surfaced, I wanted to tell EFCC to hunt you down bt...you knw.
Nice one..hope the next episode will appear soon, and please don't run away again.

I wish sheila's mum was more sensible...is she worshipping her daughter? And i'm so happy for Martha, congrats Daniel-careful next time
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by adebayo201: 10:29pm On Jan 07, 2013
BukkyDan: Yo'! Serah, you finally surfaced, I wanted to tell EFCC to hunt you down bt...you knw.
Nice one..hope the next episode will appear soon, and please don't run away again.

I wish sheila's mum was more sensible...is she worshipping her daughter? And i'm so happy for Martha, congrats Daniel-careful next time
. . .
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by emmabest2000(m): 1:11am On Jan 08, 2013
nice one
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by brodalikeme(m): 8:33am On Jan 08, 2013
I wish this fine writer know how.much she has held me captive with this story, the painful.part is feeding us these in bits. Oooh God, I ate u sooo much right now. I keep coming here always hoping to.read everything.

Abeg tell me where yr house dey make I help baby sit and do house man for u so that u go get time finish this story once and for all. Thank you eh!

1 Like

Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by prettiest1(f): 12:32pm On Jan 08, 2013
Serah please come and get through with this. It's really nice dear.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by avicky(f): 12:56pm On Jan 08, 2013
Not again... What's with this petite updates?
Anyways, half loaf is better than none.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by cigaricon(m): 1:01pm On Jan 08, 2013
Serah ***goes on his knees*** pls don't tell me that's the end of the story sad
Pls come and continue, pity us na since last year fa cry
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by brodalikeme(m): 6:17pm On Jan 08, 2013
We still dey wait Ooo!!!
It was over 24hrs ago and counting since you updated this thread.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jan 08, 2013
Part Eight

John sat on the bed in his pyjamas reading the morning news on his ipad. Sheila knocked and came in.

"Morning dad," she sat on the bed beside him.

"Morning pumpkin," he kissed her on the cheek.

"Daddy."

"Hmmm... " His eyes was glued to the ipad screen.

"Daddy," she frowned, wondering if he was listening to her.

"I can hear you pumpkin. What is it?"

"When are you going to buy me a car?" She flashed him a smile.

"What do you need a car for?" He eyed her.

"Mobility dad. I am nineteen. I am old enough to have a car."

"Really?"

She crossed her hands against her bosom, "Boma and Edidiong were driving before they were nineteen."

"So?"

Her frustrated look wasn't lost to him, "Most of my course mates drive their own cars."

He shrugged, "You are not everybody, you are Sheila Adams."

She groaned, right now she wished she was someone else.

"When you graduate at twenty one, you will definitely get a beautiful car," he returned his attention to what he was reading.

"But I want a car now."

"Who wants a car now?" Eureka strolled into the room. "What are you both still doing in your pyjamas? It's past nine and breakfast is ready."

John got down from the bed, "I am farmished," he pecked his wife on both cheeks and walked out of the room.

Sheila met her mum's questioning gaze. "You told me your parents bought you a car on your eighteenth birthday."

"So? Is your name Eureka?"

"No... "

"Good, your breakfast is getting cold," she marched out of the room. Sheila collasped on the bed. What's with her parents? Why can't she have a car now? Everybody she knows have a car of their own. Why should her case be different? Money wasn't the problem. But her parents were conscious when it comes to spending it.

"Sheila Adams! Get your lazy bum off my bed and go join your dad at the dinning!" Her mum's voice echoed through the walls.

She dragged herself off the bed and walked out of the room. Her mother was waiting outside.

"You will get your car when you graduate."

Sheila rolled her eyes and headed for the dinning. Two years is a long time to wait for a car. Her mother walked past her.

"I got a call from Dorcas," she pulled out a chair and sat down, "Martha and Daniel are getting married on Saturday. The traditional wedding is on Thursday and the introduction is on Tuesday."

"Good for them," he filled his mug with decaf coffee and added milk, "We are not going."

Eureka and Sheila stared at him.

"My dad doesn't want my daughter at any family event."

She sighed, "He was upset when he said that, he... "

"If Sheila is not going, we are not going," he took a sip from the mug and added more milk. Sheila tried to hide the smile curving from one end of her lips to the other. It is good to know that her father has decided to stand up for her. It feels good to be Sheila Adams right now.

"John... "

"Whoever doesn't want to see my daughter does not want to see me... or my wife."

Eureka realized that her husband had made up his mind. Two wrongs cannot make a right. John was as stubborn as his father. She hopes this doesn't turn into another undesirable conflict between father and son.

"Since I don't have a car, I don't think I will be able to come home every weekend." Her parents turned to look at her. "Taking a taxi home every weekend is denting my monthly allowance which you have refused to inflate."

"Is this about coming home every weekend or the increment of your monthly allowance?" Eureka eyed her daughter.

"You are both very smart."

John and his wife exchanged glances and bursted out laughing.

"Children of these days," he shook his head.

"What is she studying?"

"Economics and Statistics."

"No wonder."

Sheila stared at her parents as they talked about her as if she wasn't there.

"Can you imagine?"

"Yes, I can. How much do we give her?"

"More than enough,' he sipped his coffee.

She shook her head and bite into her toast bread.

"Hello... I am right here."

Her parents looked at her again.

"Forget it young lady."

She eyed her mum.

"If you really want an increment, then I want to see a list of what you spend your allowance on."

She frowned at her dad. List? Yeah right. There is no way she was writing a list. "I need provisions too."

"Hold your horses girl," her mum waved a spoon at her.

"Seriously... I am out of beverage and cereal."

John and his wife exchanged glances. "Your mum will drive you down to the supermarket on your way back to school."

"Thanks," she filled her mug with beverage, "Can I get ice cream too?"

"No," they choroused.

She buttered her toast bread, "Edidiong told me that Boma has gone to Abuja for his NYSC programme."

"Good for him," he refilled his mug with decaf coffee.

"I wonder where I will be posted when I graduate."

Eureka smiled, "I was posted to Rivers state back in those days."

"Really?"

She nodded and drained her mug.

"Where were you posted to dad?"

"Imo state."

"Interesting."

"It wasn't that interesting, that's a story for another day," he got up, "Nice breakfast honey," he winked at her and left them.

"Was his experience that bad?"

Eureka shrugged, "Please wash the dishes when you are done," she yawned and refilled her mug with hot choco.

Sheila wondered what her father's experience was like in Imo state.

XXXXXX

"Dad, mum, Martha and Daniel are leaving," Dorcas informed her parents.

"Oh! Great," Nnese got to her feet.

"May be we should leave too," Charles suggested.

She nodded in agreement and they followed their daughter out of the reception hall.

Daniel's parents hugged the couple and prayed for them. They stepped away and gave Charles and Nnese room to speak with the couple.

"You look radiant," Nnese embraced her daughter.

"Thank you mum."

Charles and Daniel shook hands, "Welcome to the family once again."

"Thank you sir."

The couple waved at their family members and got into the car. The driver back out of the parking lot and nosed into the busy street.

"Are they leaving for Paris this evening?"

"No mum, they need to rest tonight," Dorcas winked at her mother, "Where did your driver park the car?"

"Over there," she pointed to her left.

"Ok, have a good night mum, dad," Dorcas returned to the hall while her parents walked to their car.

"I can't believe that John and his wife did not attend Martha's wedding."

Nnese remained quiet.

"Dorcas said she called him and he told her that he wasn't coming because I said I didn't want Sheila to attend any family functions for now."

She looked at him, but decided to say nothing.

"Can you imagine? What was he thinking?"

Their driver opened the door of the car, he and his wife got in.

"I am going to call him tonight. This is pure nonsense," he noticed his wife's straight face, "Won't you say something?"

"What do you want me to say Charles?"

"Something, anything."

She met his angry gaze, "I warned you."

He dropped his jaw and blinked several times, "You? You warned me? When? About what exactly?"

She looked away, "You shouldn't have stopped your grand-daughter from attending family functions because of her bad attitude. It is the same thing as saying you don't want John and his family to come for any family occasions."

He shook his head, "No... "

"Yes," she eyed him, " You made a hasty decision in a moment of anger, and John has retaliated."

His frown deepened, "This is not a battle of wits."

"John is as stubborn as his father."

He sighed and leaned back on the car seat, what if his wife was right? What has he done? If John was as thick headed as he is, he won't listen to anyone until Sheila was allowed to grace every family event. But that can be disastrous! What was wrong with his grand daughter? Why does she attract trouble everywhere she goes?

Nevertheless, they all have to settle these issues once and for all. It is getting out of hand.

2 Likes

Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by BukkyDan(f): 7:23pm On Jan 08, 2013
Serah...but this one is too short now...i guess ur next update will be next week?#sad#

Anyway...that was a nice one, you are super talented. Love ya
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by brodalikeme(m): 10:33pm On Jan 08, 2013
Thanks. This Sheila girl sef, na her parents spoil her, modern day ways of bringing up a child by sparing the rod. If her mama use skoll shoe on top her back two times in a day only, she for.the hear word.

aunty Serah yr children and husband don go sleep, so come back grin
grin
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Wendyphil(f): 11:59am On Jan 09, 2013
Tnx Serah,u ar d bomb!!,am waitin patiently.
More sugar to ur tea...
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by cigaricon(m): 1:24pm On Jan 09, 2013
Nawa for some children oh, a car at age 19 shocked. Well na money yab man oh. Imagine say I dey dis girl shoes
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by brodalikeme(m): 11:56am On Jan 11, 2013
Sarah, seh na like this we go dey dey? Na like dis we go dey dey #singing in wande coal's voice#
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by cigaricon(m): 12:22pm On Jan 11, 2013
Serah update dis thing na its over two days now. angry
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jan 11, 2013
I appreciate all your comments and I admire your patience.

I will update the story twice in a week.

Thank you for your understanding.

*winks*
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by cigaricon(m): 6:18pm On Jan 11, 2013
What abuot me that eat ur story as food, so u mean I'm just gona eat twice a week shocked. Comon think twice na, we have 7 days in a week oh7, u want me to die of hunger? Its not fair oh cry
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by daygee4u(m): 8:16pm On Jan 11, 2013
Aunty Serah... Where Ɣ☺U̶̲̥̅̊ go cos me jt dey glued to ur story to know what's up.... This suspense don dey get me connected pass normal... Abeg quick come finish this story.. Now that a baTtle line has been drawn between father and son....
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by adebayo201: 8:50pm On Jan 11, 2013
Take some decaf coffee and sleep off. Til next week. Serah!
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by armadeo(m): 8:17pm On Jan 13, 2013
Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrgghhhhhhhh. Will wait till u finish b4 coming back to read. Nice one from you. Thumbs up.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Nobody: 11:46am On Jan 14, 2013
The story continues today.

Enjoy... *winks*
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by purpinkx(m): 12:34pm On Jan 14, 2013
Waiting grin *Donkey Smile*
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by adebayo201: 12:51pm On Jan 14, 2013
purpinkx: Waiting grin *Donkey Smile*
indeed!
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jan 14, 2013
Me i lyk d sheilla gal o,cos she was only retaliating 2 wat those ppl did 2 ha,so she is still a perfect kid.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by megareal: 4:57pm On Jan 14, 2013
Serah, I must commend you on this story. I like your narrative style. Simple and straight to the point. I'm definitely following but I must point out what nobody in all the comments I've read has pointed out, that is in your use of tenses. I notice that most Nigerian aspiring writers have problems with this issue. Please maintain the narrative with a form of tense you are most comfortable with. You are narrating in the past tense here, but you veer off to present tense, especially when describing or when your character goes into monologue or ask questions. This is not right. e.g
serahsadeiyare: Part Eight

"Good, your breakfast is getting cold," she marched out of the room. Sheila collasped on the bed. (What's with her parents? Why can't she have a car now? Everybody she knows have a car of their own. Why should her case be different?) Money wasn't the problem. But her parents were conscious when it comes to spending it.
In bracket should have been: "What was with her parents? Why couldn't she have a car? Everybody she knew had a car of their own."
e.g 2
serahsadeiyare: Part Seven

XXXXXX

Sheila sat on a cane chair in the balcony chatting with one of her course mates on her blackberry phone. School would soon resume and she had not paid her hostle fees for the new session. (She was still contemplating if she wants to go back to Amina hall or move to one of the hostles outside the school's permises. She has to look for a considerate one in terms of fee.) Her parents were not ready to lavish money on hostles. She remembered when she got an admission into Unilag, they had almost convinced her to go to school from home. Thank God the school gave out accommodations to first year students. Staying in Amina hall had been eventful. She had met different kind of girls from diverse backgrounds.
In bracket should have been: "She was still contemplating if she wanted to go back to Amina hall or move to one of the hostels outside the school's premises, She had to look for a considerate one in terms of fees."
There are many, but two is enough. It doesn't make for an interesting read if you are a seasoned reader or a writer, leaves you speaking the correct tense in your head while reading.
I hope you are not angry. Just my observation. You can toss it if it doesn't mean anything to you. I'm still definitely following your story. Kudos and peace.
Re: Razor Tongue: A Story by adebayo201: 8:23pm On Jan 14, 2013
bobo,u try!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

VALENCRY, My Valentine Experience ( Short Story ) / Hills And Wills Nwokedi, Twin Authors Of Dominik's Diaries / Forbidden Love - A Short And Educative Love Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.