Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! (22365 Views)

7 Mental Shifts That Allowed Me To Become A Millionaire At 22-marvejohndaily.com / Financial Mistakes That Almost Wasted My First Five Years Of Work! / 6 Simple Steps To Become A Millionaire At The Age Of 25 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by AlexJ1(m): 12:02pm On Dec 29, 2012
rozayx5:

another pessimist. i will not drop my biography cause there is no need to talk business with a pessimist and someone who believes his destiny is tied to someone.
if it pains u. go hug transformer grin
Nothing gained by that. No need for that vituperation. Point(s) made.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by guseman(m): 1:19pm On Dec 29, 2012
alabiyemmy:

I dont think any school system in the world teaches innovation or creativeness. Ask Bill Gates, ask the guys at Google or even ask Mark himself.

How can any Nigerian youth be innovative when an average youth believes he cant do anything worthwhile with himself unless he travels abroad, or unless he has someone in high places. with such minds, how can they be innovative or creative?

However, it is wrong on the part of the writer to conclude that no Nigerian youth can be a millionaire at the age of 24 legitimately - such conclusions further brings down the psyche of the youth when they are being told by those who should know better that they cant succeed.

Most will blame it on leadership - but then, is it the government that will make you broaden your mind to see endless possibilities laid before you? I like the writer to read books on success and succeeding in life. It has nothing to do with age but on how you are able to use your mind.

With such assumptions above, an average youth is already consigned to a never do well thought process. Guys, you can make it if you want.

You are so much on point.

@ Op
I want to correct the impression that getting first class or 2.1 is a sure banker to landing a very good job or easy life.Your Dad told you that to motivate you and ginger you to put in your best in your education.

From my own point of view,it is not the grade that you graduated with in most cases determines how successful you will be but it is all about YOU that will determine where you will get to in life.

Non of my course mate graduated with first class and we had only 3people with 2.1. But those with third class are even doing better too. Seriously, Mike adenuga,dangote,sanusi,Goodluck,obasanjo etc are not first class students, all they share in common is a dream of making it big some day and they started step by step,pursue and conquer their dream in Nigeria.

And if you want to associate success in Nigeria with connection, Who is Jonathan's father or Obansanjo's father before they name name for their children,grand children and their name is already part of Nigerian historym

As for me,I hate people that complain all the time. And I need to add that I am not lawyer so no time to agrue. See u at d top!

1 Like

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by vanstanzy(m): 1:20pm On Dec 29, 2012
Frank-C:
This is the very problem of the present day Nigerian youth. They believe that the government is denying them something that is stopping them from becoming self dependent.
First off, government does not provide you with drive to be self sufficient, neither does 6 figure salary does that. Looking yourself in the mirror and taking tough decisions does this.
Again, good grades does not mean anything in the world of wealth creation. For the best, it enables one to raise initial capital to start up something.
Finally, there is something inherently wrong with the mindset that makes one to place higher value on a bank manager than that guy to goes out each money to Ladipo market on ragged jeans and t-shirt. Most of those boys in Idumota and Ladipo became millonairs before they turned 20 under their boss by saving from their feeding allowance and other many legit means. They strive for 50 million and above after being set free and they are independent, self sufficient and bouyant. But the society laugh at them as 'hustlers'
I had a hard time convincing my friend to take up his dad's lucrative auto spare parts biz in Abakaliki. This guy studied mechanical engineering but feel that bank job is the place. Today, he is doing as well as his only class mate that works in Total.
There are many start up software coys in the country today. I know one formed by UNN electrical engineering graduates of the same class and they do do projects for the major telcos. The took the tough option, denied themselves of some initial pleasure and today, they are doing better than most oil coy workers.
All these people are all in Nigeria, the same environment and the same opportunities. I can't seem to see what the government did differently for them.

U have to understand the fact that, all fingers are not equal. U are right in ur write-up and the op is right too. But watching successive govts bastardise the Nigerian institutions really does affect peoples psych, and kills dreams. Its only by rare chance that some people muster-up courage to get by. Unlike the civilized world were one is giving much opportunities to work with and make it, Nigerias case is opposite, hence the word "dream-killer".
Where are our young minds that have been inventing and discovering stuffs since, lets say, the 70s'? Did our govt encourage them or discard them?
I have made it today (I CLAIM IT! grin grin grin grin grin) but with long-suffering and lil' help from our bastardised Nigerian system. Yes, one has to take charge of their life, but give everyone a level playing field like the civilized world does and see much more talents grow. That all we are asking.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by slenderdude: 1:59pm On Dec 29, 2012
m-ployer:
should I beleive this story?
Believe it or not bro, all i want you to know is that this country of ours is filled with potentials.FYI a colleague of mine Nigerian also, designed an osmotic pressure power generator using the simple salty and pure water,he is here in china as well, another generates electricity from road bumps using the dug down incase method..all fellow Nigerians and are here doing well in china.The downside is that we were all given collaboratory patent with some chinese dudes in varios companies....get a life and look beyond your immediate corridor there is alot to believe in as far as NIGERIANS are concerned
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by cecegorz(m): 2:09pm On Dec 29, 2012
Babzilla:
I ENDORSE THIS. ONE CAN NEVER BE A MILLIONAIRE BY DOING 9-5JOBS. ITS ABOUT VISION WHICH SADLY OUR YOUTHS LACK! ALWAYS LOOKING 4 SHORTCUT.
The way some of you make assertions are simply laughable.
Are you aware that the annual pay of staff from middle mgt upwards, of all the quoted companies on the NSE and most of the ones not quoted like the telecoms, etc are well over #10m?
Are you also aware that these level of staff are in their thousands? If you earn #10m and spends #4m in a year, what is your net?
Saying that you can NEVER be a millionaire doing 9-5 job is a simple gimmick motivational speakers use to sell their wares.
Don't buy that crap ideology.

1 Like

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by bakynes(m): 2:37pm On Dec 29, 2012
Nigeria is dream killer jare ,a lot of guys , saying they made millions @ d age of 21 r either born into a middle class family or a rich family or are involved in illegit things . For one to succeed u bid a friendly environment even people that has the right business ideas ow do they get capital to start
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by LeJeun3: 2:42pm On Dec 29, 2012
rozayx5:

another pessimist. i will not drop my biography cause there is no need to talk business with a pessimist and someone who believes his destiny is tied to someone.
if it pains u. go hug transformer grin
Thanks for the heads up! If I was pessimist I wouldn't be were I am. But you have arrived, thank God for safe journey
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by LeJeun3: 2:50pm On Dec 29, 2012
vivian chinaza: But I broke their limitations, God favoured me and shut their mouths!
The selected portion sums up your story. Others have also laboured but it is no to him that runneth but of the Lord who showeth mercy. There is no self made man!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by troy20(m): 2:59pm On Dec 29, 2012
vivian chinaza:

Yea, I made a million naira at 21 cos I worked, and I'm still working.

I wasn't born with any kinda spoon, but I worked hard. I cried day and night, you have no idea. The least I could do was become a tout or get married. People set limitations for me, no one even believed I will go to school cos my parents couldn't get me pass JSS 3. But I broke their limitations, God favoured me and shut their mouths!

My kid brother is not only a millionaire, he is also building a little house and he is 21. He is a pipeline welder and he will definitely go to school just like I did.

So pls, snap out of that mentality, it kills.

u havent still answered hw u became a millinaire at 21. did u build a rifinary? Even if u did hw did u get ur capital.wat is ur skill.u got a job based on connection is nt d point here.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by vivianc(f): 3:02pm On Dec 29, 2012
LeJeun3: The selected portion sums up your story. Others have also laboured but it is no to him that runneth but of the Lord who showeth mercy. There is no self made man!

Of course. Whatever happens my life God takes the glory not me or any other man whatsoever. Cos I'm living just by his GRACE. And I know a lot of people out there have achieved a lot more too.
But telling me a Nigerian can't make a decent million at the age of 24? Unless the family is rich or whatever? Is myopic and sickening.

Btw, are u yet to see people from rich families that did not make it in life?

1 Like

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by vivianc(f): 3:17pm On Dec 29, 2012
troy20:
u havent still answered hw u became a millinaire at 21. did u build a rifinary? Even if u did hw did u get ur capital.wat is ur skill.u got a job based on connection is nt d point here.

No, I didn't build a refinery. I got a job,,,,, and the skill that was required in that job was a computer skill; a knowledge of ERP which I had. Someone told me about the chance, I sent in my CV, was called for the interview/test, I went and passed. The rest of the things I learnt on the job, just like every other person. And that was it. And I have different skills by the way and I'm still acquiring more.
God helps me ok but I'm also happy and proud to be part of something special.
This is Nigerian mentality; when u don't make it oh u are a loser! When u make it, oh! You made it through connection, you slept your way through bla bla bla.

Nigerians are making millions at 24, take it or leave it! Have a little faith in your God and in yourself! Or you can sit on ur azz and keep on blaming the government.

2 Likes

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by Saecula: 3:56pm On Dec 29, 2012
vivian chinaza:

Yea, I made a million naira at 21 cos I worked, and I'm still working.

I wasn't born with any kinda spoon, but I worked hard. I cried day and night, you have no idea. The least I could do was become a tout or get married. People set limitations for me, no one even believed I will go to school cos my parents couldn't get me pass JSS 3. But I broke their limitations, God favoured me and shut their mouths!

My kid brother is not only a millionaire, he is also building a little house and he is 21. He is a pipeline welder and he will definitely go to school just like I did.

So pls, snap out of that mentality, it kills.

Yea, but you are still being somewhat evasive and not detailed.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by vivianc(f): 4:08pm On Dec 29, 2012
Saecula:
Yea, but you are still being somewhat evasive and not detailed.

Sorry, I don't think I owe you any explanation.

1 Like

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by Nobody: 4:48pm On Dec 29, 2012
OmoEziokwu:

Wow I'm actually agreeing with you on this one. Preach! Nice one!
Lol! I can only preach,those who are willing to listen will listen while those who are likely to act the same way as our leaders who cling to positions because of money and power will also.

Even example of Bill Gates is a good testament of the reason why he dropped out of school to create something that would benefit the community. And, the intention was not actually to become the richest man but to make a different and serve the community with what he has been working on. It is an advancement on technology that keeps changing our society. Not just all about trade and finding crooked ways of embezzling public funds,ect I am on about.

Again, I can only preach - as you've already made me a preacher-man !
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by ibrutex(m): 5:04pm On Dec 29, 2012
chai ! Hope my comment make front page too undecided undecided nice right up
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by tpia5: 5:16pm On Dec 29, 2012
Bill gates et all were from rich and/or influential families to begin with.

Why do people like pretending they werent?
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by Godogwu: 5:29pm On Dec 29, 2012
gwas:
You need to upgrade your comprehension skill bro. Where did i say they don't exist? I said could he name them?
And am asking you too the same question: who are the Nigerians that made their millions legitimately at 24? Who are they? You and others?

Lol.. I should start naming all the people i know that are millionaires at 24? Aii seen. For starters my cousin is a software engr working at some company ( can't recall the name) he's 23 and worth well over N10m. His younger sis is a petrochem engr and works with shell. My other cousin is a civil engr and he works for julius berger. He's also a millionaire; drives a 2012 C63 AMG ( go figure) another finished last year at 21 and is currently working at zenith. He rents an apt in lekki for N1.5m a year ....problem? Ernm i can go on and on but well if you didnt make it early theres hope for you aii.

Finally, don't diss my composition/ comprehension... I'm not writing a book or an essay that would be graded by you or anybody else.... Bench? \______
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by anulaxad(m): 5:33pm On Dec 29, 2012
You lot must have heard of Jk Rowlings, if you have not I will explain.

She was a poor street beggar of London but one day she was discovered.

And now became the most famous author in the world.And a multi millionaire wink

Famous for Harry potter e.g
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by Nobody: 6:26pm On Dec 29, 2012
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by try69: 7:07pm On Dec 29, 2012
vivian chinaza:

No, I didn't build a refinery. I got a job ,,,,, and the skill that was required in that job was a computer skill; a knowledge of ERP which I had. Someone told me about the chance, I sent in my CV, was called for the interview/test, I went and passed. The rest of the things I learnt on the job, just like every other person. And that was it. And I have different skills by the way and I'm still acquiring more.
This is Nigerian mentality; when u don't make it oh u are a loser! When u make it, oh! You made it through connection, you slept your way through bla bla bla.

Nigerians are making millions at 24, take it or leave it! Have a little faith in your God and in yourself! Or you can sit on ur azz and keep on blaming the government.
You were opportuned to get a job and with ERP (enterprise resource planning) knowledge and you are arguing here..what's there? I believe you were jus part of the team that get info from various units so the real guys can build the codes..Do you know people, many people who will write codes to make perfect enterprise platform don't got nobody to employ them or nobody to take a look at their models? You r nt sposed to be arguing here..I know people who have better certification with no employment..op must av applied for jobs and got none,maybe not yet so be happy for yourself miss opportunist.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by troy20(m): 7:43pm On Dec 29, 2012
vivian chinaza:

No, I didn't build a refinery. I got a job,,,,, and the skill that was required in that job was a computer skill; a knowledge of ERP which I had. Someone told me about the chance, I sent in my CV, was called for the interview/test, I went and passed. The rest of the things I learnt on the job, just like every other person. And that was it. And I have different skills by the way and I'm still acquiring more.

u got a job congrates.yet dats not d point here dear cause alota ppl hav got dose skills 2.i guess d o.p meant an enteprenure skill.a skill dat makes u creat jobs.mark zuckerbag is a job creator cause of his innovation and a good system dat alows such innovation 2 thrieve.if its ur governments responsibility then holding them 2 it doesnt make u nagative or lazy.its ur right 2 demand dat a good infrastructure b put in place.mayb u mite learn more of ur rights if u follow world events.k yea u luckily got a job bt evry skill u train 4 requirs u 2 forfiet some finance which many pple cant come up with cause of dia background having giving evrytn jst 2 aquire a university certificate.i saw alota pple like dis in my days in skul.try bieng empathetic in thought.alota viewpoints here r narrow.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by Nobody: 8:09pm On Dec 29, 2012
@OP. This your write-up is an insult to Nigeria and Nigerian youths in particular. Go to onitsha,nnewi,lagos and all across the nation and you wil get to meet young successful bizness guys(millionaires) within d age bracket of 20 -25years. And also bear in mind that I made my 1st million before the age of 20.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by tpia5: 8:35pm On Dec 29, 2012
Why Are Nigerians Rushing To Ghana?

https://www.nairaland.com/462167/why-nigerians-rushing-ghana

Why Did You Leave Nigeria?

https://www.nairaland.com/414351/why-did-leave-nigeria

So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US

https://www.nairaland.com/357/many-young-men-nigeria-planning

Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!!

https://www.nairaland.com/1010873/nigerians-representing-other-countries-olympics/1

Why Do You Hate Nigeria, Lets Talk, No Pretence.

https://www.nairaland.com/215159/why-hate-nigeria-lets-talk

How Much Do You Want To Leave Nigeria?

https://www.nairaland.com/573975/how-much-want-leave-nigeria
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by tpia5: 8:36pm On Dec 29, 2012
answers to all of the above:

"its because they're making millions in nigeria!!! Yay them!!!!"
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by jasper7(m): 1:47am On Dec 30, 2012
spot on. like I always say "dont let your schooling interfere with your education". we need to get our priorities staightened out
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by BigBashiru: 2:17am On Dec 30, 2012
Most people here are arguing from a typical Nigerian mentality/ background where money is everything. Money is a lot and millions are good but let us not forget these salient points:

1.) In pursuit of millions, many people trade time and flexibility for money something many later regret; the only thing is few make those millions and still have personal time (this applies to employees). Truth is you can always make money later, but time and youth, once past cannot be recovered so use it wisely. Use your time to fulfill your purposes on earth, add the unique value that you have.

2.) Being a millionaire is easy. All you need is let income be greater than expenses and to build cash generating assets. Most achieve wealth by buying land etc.

3.) Most millionnaires at 23 who made great sacrifices to get there (not all) regret it; because of the time factor especially if they made a lot of sacrifices to get there and the time they will not get back; some were forced by circumstance.

As for me, I made my first million in naira terms at 25 and I am happy with it. I could even more vigoroously pursue money right now and make more millions but I am taking it slow. I am taking time to travel, write books, do all the things I want to do and then make more money later. You can always make more money later but at the same time should not over relax, it takes striking a balance.

1 Like

Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by rozayx5(m): 5:13am On Dec 30, 2012
LeJeun3: Thanks for the heads up! If I was pessimist I wouldn't be were I am. But you have arrived, thank God for safe journey

sorry. i dont have the arrival mentality.
your arguement is enough deduce your personality.
wherever you are. work on your mentality thank you.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by korres00(m): 6:14am On Dec 30, 2012
alabiyemmy: Ten secrets of success.

1. How You Think is Everything.
Always be positive. Think Success, not Failure. Beware of a negative environment.
This trait has to be one of the most important in the entire list. Your belief that you can accomplish your goals has to be unwavering. The moment you say to yourself “I can’t…”, then you won’t. I was always given the advice “never say I can’t” and I’d like to strike those words from the dictionary.
I’ve found that from time-to-time my attitude waivers. A mentor of mine once said “it’s ok to visit pity city, but you can’t stay and there comes a time when you need to leave”. Positive things happen to positive people.

2. Decide upon Your True Dreams and Goals: Write down your specific goals and develop a plan to reach them.
Write down my dreams and goals? Develop a plan to reach them? You mean like a project plan? Yes, that’s exactly what this means. You may have heard the old adage: A New Years resolution that isn’t written down is just a dream, and dreams are not goals.
Goals are those concrete, measurable stepping stones of achievement that track your progress towards your dreams. My goal is to start a second career as a freelance writer – what are your goals?

3. Take Action. Goals are nothing without action.
Be like Nike and “Just do it”. I took action by reaching out and started writing. Every day I try to take some action towards my goals. It may be small, but it’s still an action. Have you taken action towards your goals?

4. Never Stop Learning: Go back to school or read books. Get training & acquire skills.
Becoming a life long learner would benefit us all and is something we should instill in our kids. It’s funny that once you’re out of school you realize how enjoyable learning can be. What have you learned today?

5. Be Persistent and Work Hard: Success is a marathon, not a sprint. Never give up.
I think every story of success I read entails long hard hours of work. There is no getting around this and there is no free lunch. But, if you’re working towards something that you’re passionate about, something you love – then is it really work?

6. Learn to Analyze Details: Get all the facts, all the input. Learn from your mistakes.
I think you have to strike a balance between getting all the facts and making a decision with incomplete data – both are traits of successful people. Spend time gathering details, but don’t catch ‘analysis paralysis’.

7. Focus Your Time And Money: Don’t let other people or things distract you.
Remain laser focused on your goals and surround yourself with positive people that believe in you. Don’t be distracted by the naysayer’s or tasks that are not helping you achieve your goals.

8. Don’t Be Afraid To Innovate: Be different. Following the herd is a sure way to mediocrity.
Follow through on that break-out idea you have. Ask yourself “What would I do if I wasn’t afraid?”

9. Deal And Communicate With People Effectively: No person is an island. Learn to understand and motivate others.
Successful people develop and nurture a network and they only do that by treating people openly, fairly and many times firmly. There is nothing wrong about being firm – just don’t cross the a-hole line. How do you deal with people?

10. Be Honest And Dependable: Take responsibility, otherwise numbers 1 – 9 won’t matter.
Enough said.

http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/10-secrets-to-success/
diz d real deal, so op der is no excuse 4 failure.....
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by vivaciousvivi(f): 8:45am On Dec 30, 2012
A very well-written and concise piece. The caption really did catch my eye.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by LeJeun3: 3:36am On Dec 31, 2012
rozayx5:

sorry. i dont have the arrival mentality.
your arguement is enough deduce your personality.
wherever you are. work on your mentality thank you.
You wish! U can never deduce my personality.
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by yommy2sure(m): 5:56am On Dec 31, 2012
Godogwu:

Lol.. I should start naming all the people i know that are millionaires at 24? Aii seen. For starters my cousin is a software engr working at some company ( can't recall the name) he's 23 and worth well over N10m. His younger sis is a petrochem engr and works with shell. My other cousin is a civil engr and he works for julius berger. He's also a millionaire; drives a 2012 C63 AMG ( go figure) another finished last year at 21 and is currently working at zenith. He rents an apt in lekki for N1.5m a year ....problem? Ernm i can go on and on but well if you didnt make it early theres hope for you aii.

Finally, don't diss my composition/ comprehension... I'm not writing a book or an essay that would be graded by you or anybody else.... Bench? \______

Ah ah....easy now....got job last year in zenith and he's renting a house for 1.5 when zenith pays around 108 monthly
Re: A Millionaire At 29, That’s Five Years Late! by TundE8: 8:41am On Dec 31, 2012
The only thing i can say is that try to read THE MILLIONAIRE FASTLANE by MJ DEMARCO.
I tell you you life will never be the same again

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nylon Making Business. Any Ideas? / Tony Elumelu Hits The Gym To Keep Fit (Photos) / People Called Me Crazy When I Started Whispering Palms —prof Pearse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.