Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,921 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:36 PM

Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism (13580 Views)

Logicboy's Successes And Failures On Nairaland! / Logicboy Meets Anony (epic) / In Defence Of Logicboy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 7:46pm On Dec 29, 2012
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 7:48pm On Dec 29, 2012
musKeeto:
So Abraham was an atheist?
was he now? I asked you a question. What was the name of the religion Abraham practiced?
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by mazaje(m): 7:48pm On Dec 29, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Good, now you will begin to appreciate the point he is making. . . . . . . .For most religious people, God makes it a must for them to be honest, fair, kind etc. For the atheist, there is no such authority mandating these things so he/she has neither incentive nor compulsion to adhere to them.

If this is true then theist will be more moral than atheist, the fact that theist are NOT more moral than atheist says your theory is false. . .The fear of authority(societal) and the penalty associated with crime is what makes people desist from crime. . .The benefits of fairness and honesty is what makes people people display such virtues. . .
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 7:51pm On Dec 29, 2012
mazaje:

If this is true then theist will be more moral than atheist, the fact that theist are NOT more moral than atheist says your theory is false. . .The fear of authority(societal) and the penalty associated with crime is what makes people desist from crime. . .The benefits of fairness and honesty is what makes people people display such virtues. . .
I think you should read down through the discussion and come up to speed.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by mazaje(m): 7:52pm On Dec 29, 2012
Mr_Anony:
From the reasons you gave, honesty is not of high moral value. The reasons you have given are reasons of convenience rather than principle. For instance, none of the reasons you gave will make a man insist on telling the truth even if he is going to get killed for telling it.
If a person is only being honest because it is convenient, how can such a person be trusted to always tell the truth no matter what?

But many atheist have told the truth even when it cost them their lives. . .If your assertion is true then religious people will be more truthful than atheist no?. . .NOTHING I know shows that. . .
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by mazaje(m): 7:53pm On Dec 29, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I think you should read down through the discussion and come up to speed.

ALL I have written are pertinent to the discussion. . .
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 29, 2012
Mr_Anony:
was he now? I asked you a question. What was the name of the religion Abraham practiced?
And I asked you a question. Was Abraham an atheist?
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 8:06pm On Dec 29, 2012
mazaje:
But many atheist have told the truth even when it cost them their lives. . .If your assertion is true then religious people will be more truthful than atheist no?. . .NOTHING I know shows that. . .
Good, now you've come up to speed. . . . .

The question you now have to answer as an atheist is: What is the logic behind losing your life because you insist that something is true? .... .. ... ... especially when you believe that death is the the ultimate tragedy and there is nothing to gain for insisting on it. Do you hate your life that much?
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 8:08pm On Dec 29, 2012
musKeeto:
And I asked you a question. Was Abraham an atheist?
No he was not.

Now answer my question: What was the name of Abraham's religion?
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 9:22pm On Dec 29, 2012
Good. We've ascertained he believed in a God. I was addressing this post.
Mr_Anony:
Good, now you will begin to appreciate the point he is making. . . . . . . .For most religious people, God makes it a must for them to be honest, fair, kind etc. For the atheist, there is no such authority mandating these things so he/she has neither incentive nor compulsion to adhere to them.

None of my business what religion he adhered to. He believed in a God who believed in him too. So this post

Mr_Anony:
From the reasons you gave, honesty is not of high moral value. The reasons you have given are reasons of convenience rather than principle. For instance, none of the reasons you gave will make a man insist on telling the truth even if he is going to get killed for telling it.
If a person is only being honest because it is convenient, how can such a person be trusted to always tell the truth no matter what?

Is quite untrue as religious or non religious people may be honest when it's convenient. As for matter of trust, well that depends on the circumstances.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 9:28pm On Dec 29, 2012
Good. We've ascertained he believed in a God. I was addressing this post.
Mr_Anony:

None of my business what religion he adhered to. He believed in a God who believed in him too. So this post

Mr_Anony:

Is quite untrue as religious or non religious people may be honest when it's convenient. As for matter of trust, well that depends on the circumstances.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 9:37pm On Dec 29, 2012
Morality doesnt come from God.

the basis for human morality from evolution and logic.

We define good based on our logic, survival and harm.

We evolve instincts to survive and these insticts forms part of a primal morality. An animalistic morality
Why do we instinctively cuddle babies and breastfeed them? It is an evolutionary instinct to keep them warm and make the survive.

We also do calculations. logical calculations. Why is it evil for a company not to disclose its influential holdings in subsidiaries? Because it logically follows that they can use those subsidiaries to do shady business at the expense of customers and shareholders.

Anony is a tool. He doesnt know jack shytt about morality. Only deluded people claim that morality is from God. We can see what religious peeps are doing today to destroy that notion
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 9:38pm On Dec 29, 2012
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by mazaje(m): 10:45pm On Dec 29, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Good, now you've come up to speed. . . . .

The question you now have to answer as an atheist is: What is the logic behind losing your life because you insist that something is true? .... .. ... ... especially when you believe that death is the the ultimate tragedy and there is nothing to gain for insisting on it. Do you hate your life that much?

Many reasons. . .For justice to prevail. . .Nope but for the fact that you want justice to prevail and you want to contribute to the betterment of the world around you. . .It seems you don't have an idea of what disintrested goodness is. . .So the only reason you are good is because you expect reward when you die. . .Really?. . .Hmmmm. . .
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 30, 2012
mazaje:

Many reasons. . .For justice to prevail. . .Nope but for the fact that you want justice to prevail and you want to contribute to the betterment of the world around you. . .It seems you don't have an idea of what disintrested goodness is. . .So the only reason you are good is because you expect reward when you die. . .Really?. . .Hmmmm. . .

Majaze, you are also needed on this thread please;

Logicboy03: Muskeeto, you are needed here;
https://www.nairaland.com/1144911/atheist-agenda-2013-all-atheists
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 12:53pm On Dec 30, 2012
musKeeto: Good. We've ascertained he believed in a God. I was addressing this post.

In all this, you have missed something important....
1. You cannot tell what religion Abraham was practicing, and what his religious requirements were yet you are suggesting that he was somehow not practicing it. How come?

2.More to the point I believe you are trying to make: Abraham in his covenant with God didn't have a "thou shalt not lie" clause therefore he wasn't bound so to speak to tell Abimelech that Sarah was his wife.

The point I am making to Seun is simple. No one can hold a virtue as a principle to uphold above himself if he/she doesn't hold that the principle comes from one higher than himself who he is bound to be faithful to.

For instance one of Jesus' commands was to love our enemies (matthew 5:44). Now someone who held that principle to the death was Stephen - Even when he was being stoned to death, he was praying for God's forgiveness for those who killed him. Why? because he was faithful to the one who commissioned him

I repeat that there is no atheist who has a logical reason to love his/her enemies to the point of his/her death especially since his values emanate from himself, the reasons for his principles will tend towards self-preservation as Seun has shown here.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 1:06pm On Dec 30, 2012
mazaje:

I will ignore the strawman argument at the end (the reason I am good is not because I hope to make heaven if I am good enough, I am already saved so my good works are in honour of my saviour. They are not a means to an end rather they are the result of my salvation).

Let me remind you that you haven't given me one logical reason why your opinion of a better world is more important than your life.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Kay17: 3:18pm On Dec 30, 2012
Mr_Anony:
In all this, you have missed something important....
1. You cannot tell what religion Abraham was practicing, and what his religious requirements were yet you are suggesting that he was somehow not practicing it. How come?

2.More to the point I believe you are trying to make: Abraham in his covenant with God didn't have a "thou shalt not lie" clause therefore he wasn't bound so to speak to tell Abimelech that Sarah was his wife.

The point I am making to Seun is simple. No one can hold a virtue as a principle to uphold above himself if he/she doesn't hold that the principle comes from one higher than himself who he is bound to be faithful to.

For instance one of Jesus' commands was to love our enemies (matthew 5:44). Now someone who held that principle to the death was Stephen - Even when he was being stoned to death, he was praying for God's forgiveness for those who killed him. Why? because he was faithful to the one who commissioned him

I repeat that there is no atheist who has a logical reason to love his/her enemies to the point of his/her death especially since his values emanate from himself, the reasons for his principles will tend towards self-preservation as Seun has shown here.

Isn't a State higher than an individual?!
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by MrAnony1(m): 3:29pm On Dec 30, 2012
Kay 17:

Isn't a State higher than an individual?!
Are you willing to hold up "the State" as an absolute moral authority for people?
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Kay17: 3:50pm On Dec 30, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Are you willing to hold up "the State" as an absolute moral authority for people?

Especially when it has punitive powers just like God.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Wahala90: 4:20pm On Dec 30, 2012
Seun:
I don't understand. Are you saying that your primary reason for telling the truth is that you're afraid of being cast into hell fire for lying? What happened to basic human decency & principles?

You guys still need real education. Why do people swear in court? and why is it that, for long in the USA (and till now in some places) atheists are not considered qualified and therefore not allowed to testify in court?

trae_z:
Well said Seun; no mind the fickle minded guy

Why insult me? Do you think this is a school for dummies?
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 4:23pm On Dec 30, 2012
Wahala90:

You guys still need real education. Why do people swear in court? and why is it that, for long in the USA (and till now in some places) atheists are not considered qualified and therefore not allowed to testify in court?

Sorry but yourstatement shows what is wrong with many religious people today. They choose to argue with half baked knowledge and illogical premises.

You are allowed to make an affirmation rather than swearing to God in courts. This is basic knowledge. Atheists are allowed to testify in court in the USA .
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Wahala90: 8:14pm On Dec 30, 2012
Logicboy03: They choose to argue with half baked knowledge and illogical premises.
You think you know a lot; that is your problem. You talk so much and make no sense.

Logicboy03: Atheists are allowed to testify in court in the USA.
Read my sentence well and you will see "for long".
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 30, 2012
Wahala90:
You think you know a lot; that is your problem. You talk so much and make no sense.

Read my sentence well and you will see "for long".

Wahala90:

Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Wahala90: 8:27pm On Dec 30, 2012
See, e.g., United States v. Miller, 236 F. 798, 799 (W.D. Wash., N.D. 1916) (citing Thurston v. Whitney et al., 2 Cush. (Mass.) 104; Jones on Evidence, Blue Book, vol. 4, §§ 712, 713) ("Under the common-law rule a person who does not believe in a God who is the rewarder of truth and the avenger of falsehood cannot be permitted to testify)
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Wahala90: 8:32pm On Dec 30, 2012
@logicfool
What is that dumb thing you just did quoting me without your comment
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 7:02pm On Jan 01, 2013
Logicboy03: Morality doesnt come from God.

It does. We infer this because we know morality isn't a property of physical matter it is an aspect of intelligence.

Logicboy03: the basis for human morality from evolution and logic.

Nonsense. Evolution lacks intelligence and logic starts to assume morality since a simple definition of logic is rules of proper thinking.

Logicboy03: We define good based on our logic, survival and harm.

Circular reasoning. You have already attached moral values to the terms 'logic', 'survival' and 'harm'. It likes saying we defne good based on things we think are good.

Logicboy03: We evolve instincts to survive and these insticts forms part of a primal morality. An animalistic morality
Why do we instinctively cuddle babies and breastfeed them? It is an evolutionary instinct to keep them warm and make the survive.

I disagree with this since I disbelieve in evolution. Evolution lacks creative capacity since that is a property of intelligence.

Logicboy03: We also do calculations. logical calculations. Why is it evil for a company not to disclose its influential holdings in subsidiaries? Because it logically follows that they can use those subsidiaries to do shady business at the expense of customers and shareholders.

So logical calculations now determine good and evil. A better way of putting it is we use intelligence. Without intelligence you can't even do 'logical calculations'.

Logicboy03: Anony is a tool. He doesnt know jack shytt about morality. Only deluded people claim that morality is from God. We can see what religious peeps are doing today to destroy that notion

And only daft people like yourself think morality can somehow magically evolve. We know matter lacks morality as in a stone not knowing or being good or bad. We know morality applies where there is intelligence so we infer that we derive morality from an intelligent God.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 7:10pm On Jan 01, 2013
I don't even see why this argument should be. David Hume's quote sums it up quite nicely: 'You can't get an ought from an is.' Matter on its own lacks the intelligence (which is an abstract thing). So we take the other possibility that an intelligent being endowed man with his known capacity for ascribing morality to various instances.

1 Like

Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jan 01, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

It does. We infer this because we know morality isn't a property of physical matter it is an aspect of intelligence.

Nonsense. Evolution lacks intelligence and logic starts to assume morality since a simple definition of logic is rules of proper thinking.

Circular reasoning. You have already attached moral values to the terms 'logic', 'survival' and 'harm'. It likes saying we defne good based on things we think are good.

I disagree with this since I disbelieve in evolution. Evolution lacks creative capacity since that is a property of intelligence.

So logical calculations now determine good and evil. A better way of putting it is we use intelligence. Without intelligence you can't even do 'logical calculations'.

And only daft people like yourself think morality can somehow magically evolve. We know matter lacks morality as in a stone not knowing or being good or bad. We know morality applies where there is intelligence so we infer that we derive morality from an intelligent God.

You didn make one iota of sense in your post.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by UyiIredia(m): 7:22pm On Jan 01, 2013
Logicboy03:

You didn make one iota of sense in your post.

You've started again this New Year. Running away when one wants to give some dose of good thinking. At least state what is wrong with the post and I'll take it up from there.
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jan 01, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

You've started again this New Year. Running away when one wants to give some dose of good thinking. At least state what is wrong with the post and I'll take it up from there.

Look....I am restraining myself from abusing you.

Your comment can be summarized like this;

Uyi Iredia; I dont believe in evolution bla-bla-bla
Re: Logicboy Meets Anony Again! Philosophy Vs Naturalism by Image123(m): 10:09pm On Jan 01, 2013
God created all humans with spirit, soul and body. Each person has a conscience and has emotions, whether you worship my fart or you don't. Natural difference is that some have it more pronounced than others. Spiritual difference is some have a map/guide others don't.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Must Read: Olodumare (GOD) In Yoruba Ifa And Orisha Is Monotheistic / Ghanaian Pastors Are Proving Worse Than Nigeria’s / Righteousness Of The Laws Of Moses Vs Righteousness Of Grace Of Christ By Faith

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.