Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,486 members, 7,823,131 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies (10723 Views)

Buhari Sacks 24 Director-Generals Of Parastatals And Agencies / FG Bans Importation Of ‘I-Pass-My-Neighbour’ Generators / List Of Agencies And Departments Under Fayemi, As A Minister Of Solid Minerals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by nameo: 1:29am On Dec 21, 2012
MINISTRIES, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) have been barred from using foreign cars beginning from 2013, the Minister of Trade and Investment, Mr Olusegun Aganga, has disclosed.

The minister, speaking at the end-of-year media chat, during the second annual seminar for trade and investment correspondents and business editors, on Monday, in Abuja, stated that the directive, which he said was from President Goodluck Jonathan, was aimed at promoting made-in-Nigeria goods, conserve the foreign exchange ressrves and boost job creation in the country.

He said as from January 2013, it would be an offence for any MDA to buy foreign vehicles for official purposes, adding that failure to comply would attract a sanction.

Although, the minister observed that local vehicle plants might not be able to immediately meet local auto demands, he, however, stated that such MDAs needed to exercise patience, because the local plants would eventually meet their demands.

On the importance of patronising Nigerian made goods, the minister said the excuse of the poor quality of these goods by Nigerians had been addressed by the admonition to the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON) to see that goods coming into the markets were of high quality.

As part of the government investment climate reform programme, he said the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) had been able to achieve 24 hours registration service, while the country was able to attract foreign investment worth N8.9 billion to the economy in 2011.

With the 2011 feat, Aganga said Nigeria had become the most preferred investment destination in Africa and the world, as 20 per cent of world trade comes to Nigeria currently.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/component/k2/item/1336-no-more-foreign-cars-for-mdas-fg

http://www.punchng.com/business/industry/new-auto-policy-is-ready-minister/

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Rossikk(m): 1:47am On Dec 21, 2012
Fantastic news. INNOSON Motors can easily meet all their vehicular demand. Great stuff.

20 Likes

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Nobody: 4:30am On Dec 21, 2012
Mr Chukwuma (CEO of Innoson) go dey dance Azonto, etighi and gangnam style now grin

This policy, if faithfully implemented, could potentially lead to d creation of millions of jobs for mechanical/electrical engineers, due to increased demand for locally-made cars.

10 Likes

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by MajeOfficial: 4:40am On Dec 21, 2012
Great news!

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by floriana(m): 4:53am On Dec 21, 2012
This president is a merchant of death. 2013, the year many government officials will die from sub-standard vehicles accident

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by hakunajay(m): 5:56am On Dec 21, 2012
floriana: This president is a merchant of death. 2013, the year many government officials will die from sub-standard vehicles accident

Instead of running your mouth, why don't you think of how to make a meaningful contribution towards creating standard vehicles? Abi which one you fit produce sef?

15 Likes

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Ozonna(m): 6:44am On Dec 21, 2012
Nwanne, INNOSON egbugo ozu!!!

13 Likes

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Nobody: 6:54am On Dec 21, 2012
Ozonna: Nwanne, INNOSON egbugo ozu!!!

I kwuru eziokwu!

4 Likes

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by takedat(m): 7:05am On Dec 21, 2012
Joke. The FG should also bar itself from patronising "foreign cars".
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by DisGuy: 7:21am On Dec 21, 2012
Rossikk: Fantastic news. INNOSON Motors can easily meet all their vehicular demand. Great stuff.

erm they produce about 8000 vehicles annually
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Nobody: 7:25am On Dec 21, 2012
Good one

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by ITbomb(m): 7:25am On Dec 21, 2012
Come on, if not any, we all need Hilux for God sake.
Or is there a Nigerian Hilux equivalent

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by ehispapa(m): 7:29am On Dec 21, 2012
floriana: This president is a merchant of death. 2013, the year many government officials will die from sub-standard vehicles accident
Are you sane at all. Pls. what do you know about economics?
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by GeJ79: 7:30am On Dec 21, 2012
SWEET STATEMENT TO BE READ BY HE FAKE MINISTER BUT WE KNOW IN NIGERIA IS NOT POSSIBLE..........

WHO BE MUMU....... YOU, ME OR THE MINISTER??
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 21, 2012
Bullshittt
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Pain(m): 7:35am On Dec 21, 2012
This may trigger some foreign car manufacturers to establish manufacturing plants here.

7 Likes

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by coolzeal(m): 7:38am On Dec 21, 2012
This is one of the most astonishing step the government has taking so far which we all support in maximum. They should also increase tax on foreign cars and some certain goods at least to 300%, in return will also create, improve our industry and boost job creation.

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by samguru(m): 7:39am On Dec 21, 2012
This is one of the best policies i believe will drive massive job creation,there is nothing wrong with Innoson Motors,it can compete with Honda,Kia,Toyota,BMW,Mercedes Benz of this world only that our penchant for foreign vehicles will never reduce.
Take for example my brother ride this brand of Innoson car and it is working perfectly for more than a year he has been using it.These vehicles are configured and built in such a way to survive the rugged and tough Nigerian environment compare to the brands have mentioned above.

6 Likes

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Leopantro: 7:39am On Dec 21, 2012
***Singing***
Never ending story, ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah, Never ending story....

Is it not the same government that imported cars for senators and traditional chiefs?
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by a1solution: 7:42am On Dec 21, 2012
Are they manufacturin car in Nigeria or assembling? Cos i knw at the moment Naija cannot manufacture motor cycle talkless of car.
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by samguru(m): 7:43am On Dec 21, 2012
My advice to Innoson Motors is to get listed on the floor of Nigerian Stock Exchange for wide visibility and possibly raise fund i am ready to buy into its shares

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by markus1133: 7:44am On Dec 21, 2012
weird..
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Sijo01(f): 7:45am On Dec 21, 2012
See better market for INNOSON!

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Gombs(m): 7:49am On Dec 21, 2012
Cnt wait to re-vote GEJ come 2015.....anyways,more job opportunity n economic boom for Anambra state...let's go there Innoson

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Diplenty(m): 7:51am On Dec 21, 2012
Hope the directive includes d presidential fleet, practice what u preach

2 Likes

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Nobody: 7:56am On Dec 21, 2012
A good step but in the wrong direction.

Why not start with vegetable oil. We can easily meet the local demand but the imported ones has and are still forcing local producers out of business.

Ok what about reviving the textile plants which have the capacity to meet local demands and save foreign exchange.

Cement nko. The list is endless but they started with cars.

I hope it works though but ...

Time will tell.

This oga Jona sef

1 Like

Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Nobody: 7:56am On Dec 21, 2012
I guess it's a case of 'do what I say, not what I do', otherwise, I hope the presidency would not exempt itself from this policy. It would be sheer hypocrisy for GEJ and Sambo to retain their high-end S-Class Mercedes cars, while expecting ministries to settle for locally produced cars.

In any case, Innoson alone cannot meet the demand from all MDAs, with offices across the country. As always, the government prefers to act first and think later.
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Lagusta(m): 7:57am On Dec 21, 2012
a1solution: Are they manufacturin car in Nigeria or assembling? Cos i knw at the moment Naija cannot manufacture motor cycle talkless of car.

Innoson motors has started manufacturing nigerian indigenous pick-ups, SUVs and heavy-duty trucks, since about two years ago...
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Nobody: 7:59am On Dec 21, 2012
CFCfan: Mr Chukwuma (CEO of Innoson) go dey dance Azonto, etighi and gangnam style now grin

This policy, if faithfully implemented, could potentially lead to d creation of millions of jobs for mechanical/electrical engineers, due to increased demand for locally-made cars.
I guess you mean technicians and technologist. It's time for poly graduates and trades people to enjoy.

hakunajay:

Instead of running your mouth, why don't you think of how to make a meaningful contribution towards creating standard vehicles? Abi which one you fit produce sef?
No mind am, he probably works for Dana cars or elizade motors. Even all the new Toyota, kia, Hyundai, and Honda are substandard. It's only in Nigeria that you would by a 2012 kia with no Airbag!

Good one for innoson. With time, support and good sales, he would introduce good continuous improvement policies in his factories. I hope he focuses more on manufacturing and not assembling.
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Technocracy: 7:59am On Dec 21, 2012
This is a good policy if it will be conscentiously sustained,the fedral government should also fix the refineries because petroleum products eat deep on our foreign exchange.
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by Nobody: 8:00am On Dec 21, 2012
INNOSON Motors for sale!
Re: FG Bans Foreign Cars For Ministries, Departments And Agencies by aryzgreat: 8:01am On Dec 21, 2012

Mumu! wot substandard are u talking about? for the past 2 years Enugu state govt has been using Innoson for mass transit in enugu metropolis. The young shall grow, ABC, etc has been using IVM buses to transverse east to lagos and east to Abuja etc and there has not been any recorded failure with the buses. This December many passengers will enter IVM mini Buses, Hummer buses etc and safely shall they get to their destinations. keep hating.

Empty barrels makes the loudest noise, wot have u contributed to Nig?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Anambra Governorship: 500 Members Of PPA Decamp To PDP / I Have Done Well As Police IG — Idris / Appeal Court Upholds Ganduje's Election, Dismisses PDP, Abba's Petitions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.